Prologue: The Innocence in Youth


Oh my son, why does morning break each day?
Why do people pass away?
Oh, it's the mystery and thruth,
It's the innocence in youth.

Rooftop Lullaby Jack Lukeman

"Who are you?" the boy asked.

"Me? Doesn't matter," the other boy snorted. "What are you doing here?"

"I was sent to pick up some tesresults from proffesor Hojo. President Shinra needs them for his conference."

"You work for the president?" the first boy asked.

"Yes."

"How old are you?"

"Ten."

"So am I."

Both boys smiled a little at the realisation of having found someone their own age in the big company.

"Your hair is weird," the second boy suddenly said. "Why is it grey?"

The other boy shrugged. "I don't know. Why is your black?"

"Ok, sorry, I guess that was a stupid question."

A man stepped into the lab. He studied the two boys and pushed the glasses a bit further up his nose.

"Sephitoth," he said to the boy with grey hair, "I'm finished with you for the day, but come back the same time tomorrow." Then he turned to the other boy who drew back when the man's piercing eyes took him in.

"President Shinra sent me for the testresults, he said you'd know which one he meant," the boy blurted out.

The man, who obviously had to be proffesor Hojo nodded thoughtfully. "Yes, I know," he said then looked at the boy again. "Say, aren't you Vincent Valentine's boy?"

The boy seemed to draw himself up, taking on a proud feature. "Yes I am," he said. "I'm Tseng Valentine."

"Are you going to be a Turk just like your old man?" the proffesor asked.

Tseng nodded. "Did you know my father?"

The proffesore suddenly laughed, a blood freezing laugh it was. "I guess you could say that," he chuckled, "I guess you could say that."

Sephiroth was still hanging around, waiting for Tseng and the Proffesor to finish. He saw the old man handing something to Tseng who then said something polite and was dissmissed.


"I think I'm glad you came along," Tseng said after he'd dropped off the testresults at the president's office.

Sephiroth smiled. "I'm glad too. It get's a bit boring hanging around the lab all day."

"That man was kind of creepy," Tseng said as he remembered proffesor Hojo.

"Yeah, well, he's helping me. I'm gonna be in SOLDIER one day, you know."

"Really? Cool!"

"And you are gonna be a Turk, right?"

Tseng shrugged. "Yeah, that's what's everyone's telling me anyway."

"Because of who your father was?" Sephiroth asked.

"I guess."

They were walking down one of the seemingly endless corridores of the Shinra building. Fluorecent light gave the sterile white walls a blue glow and made the expensive art that decorated each floor discoulored.

"Are we friends now, Tseng?" Sephiroth suddenly asked.

"I hope so," Tseng smiled.


Chapter 1   |   Fanfiction