Too Late


You don't know it, but I love you. Yes, it sounds silly, I know. You probably don't love me back, but I have to tell you. I can't stand it. Whenever your eyes land on me, the world drops from beneath my feet and you're all I can see. I love you. Yes, I know I said it before, but I do, more than anything. I wish I could gaze into your eyes forever, you know, dreaming of skies and oceans, of half-forgotten poems my father read to me and of shining sapphire...But I know your heart belongs to Lina; I can see it, there's no need to deny it. I don't even see why I'm writing this, I just HAVE to. But I hope you'll be happy with her, as long as you're happy.

Love,
Sylphiel

She bit her lip, holding back the tears that threatened to leak through closed eyelids. He was off on some quest, away from her once again.

No, this is stupid. I can't. I'll write something else.

Dear Lina-san, Gourry-san, and Zelgadis-san,
Things are better than ever here with my uncle...


One Month Later

"Hey, Lina, look, we have a letter." Gourry called, waving an envelope.

"You open it, Gourry, I'll be out in a minute! I'm not dressed!"

Gourry blushed, opening the letter, then froze.

From Syphiel Nels Lada.


Sylphiel smiled the smile of someone who has had a perfect day and knows it will soon be even better soon as she reached into the mailbox.

From Lina Inverse and Gourry Gabriev.

It's so nice to hear from Lina-san and Gourry-sama again, though she wondered, opening it.

Sylphiel, we're sorry. One day, Zelgadis went off on a cure. He was so sure it would work this time. He was attacked by a mazoku, and we're still trying to find the one who did it. We couldn't find him...The notice is attached..."

Notice...?

You are invited to the funeral of Zelgadis Greywers. Mr.Greywers shall be buried in the Sairuune Hall of Heroes for his part in the destruction of a piece of Shabranigdo, death of Dark Lord Phibbirezo, an honorable battle against Dark Star, and many more achievements in the name of justice. The world mourns the loss of such an honorable individual. Ceipheed be with him.

Syphiel stared at the paper, dumbfounded. What had happened? How could this have happened? My cold, cold angel...This isn't fair...I should have sent the letter...If I had, maybe he wouldn't have gone...It's not FAIR...

"Syphiel-san?" a somewhat familiar voice called from the trees...Who...?

"X-Xelloss-san?"

The voice laughed. "Right as always, Sylphiel!" She heard him land behind her.

"I - I'm not feeling very good now..." she began.

Xelloss looked down at the piece of paper in her hand and bit his lip. "Oh, yes, that...That's why I came. The funeral is tomorrow and I would be able to get you there on time..."

She glanced down at the piece of paper. "Oh, right, so it is! Thank you, Xelloss-san, I'll go get my things! Wait right here!"

Xelloss smiled at the priestess's retreating back. "Too bad for you, Zel-kun." he thought to himself, remembering the chimera's final words. "She'll be far happier with me, I assure you."


Fanfiction