Higher


Notes

The song Higher is by Creed.


When dreaming
I'm guided through another world

Xelloss wimpered his body curled into a tight ball of pain, and let the darkness claim him. The pain slowly left him as he drifted and when he realized it was gone, he opened his eyes. Ah, there she was. In his dream, she was his and this pain didn't rip his body apart, his emotions didn't threaten to sunder his whole being.

Time and time again
At sunrise I fight to stay asleep

Distantly, he heard a woman's voice calling for him, dripping cool water on his fevorish forehead. He knew he would have to wake up eventually, but not now...He didn't want to wake up to the world where he couldn't have her, where his very being conspired against him and what he wanted, what he needed, against her. What had he done?...If he'd only been a little more --


"What's wrong with him Zelgadis-san?!"

"I don't know Amelia, I've never seen a mazoku act like this. He just stumbled in, his eyes glazed over and collasped here."

"MINNA! it's Lina!"

"L-sama...no..."

"She's...."

'Cause I don't want to leave the comfort of this place
'Cause there's a hunger, a longing to escape
From the life I live when I'm awake

In the darkness, he held her frail body tightly to his and rocked her back and forth as her life blood spilled out over his hands. For the first time in eons he hadn't enjoyed watching death creep in...for the first time since he could remember, he wanted to die with its victum...

Maybe he would...he'd stay here...in the darkness with her forever. It was nice here.

There she was walking towards him in a long white simple gown like some virgin priestess of an ancient nature goddess, or the pure essence of the primeordial inferno from which the world was forged. An unearthly light shinning behind her lit her hair afire to blaze wildy around her head like a halo.

Of hell's own fire?

Or maybe...it was the light of redemption?

She was reaching for his hand, her long nimble fingers outstretched towards him. Taking her hand would mean the end. The end of what, he wasn't quite sure...

In her eyes he saw himself, really and truely saw himself...

He was physically sickened by the image.

"Come with me Xel...let it go, and come with me...Mother is waiting."


"He killed her..."

"No....he couldn't have he -- "

"He what Amelia?! Look at his gloves, his staff is covered in her blood! You think she put that huge hole in her own stomach?!"

"Zel -- that's harsh..."

"Gomen...it's just -- "

"Don't Zel. It's alright...I deserved that."

So let's go there
Let's make our escape
Come on, let's go there
Let's ask can we stay?

He stood and accepted her outstretched hand without hesitation. "L-sama's waiting?"

"Of course? Who else besides me and Her would wait around her for a schmoe like you?"

Her smile as her fingers closed around his was worth the pain that came with her touch.


"What's happening to him?!"

"Gourry, help me hold him down!"

"No..Gourry, let him suffer for what he did! Why are you helping him Amelia!?"

"I -- "

"Just don't!"

"He's dieing Zelgadis! Look at him!"

"I'm not blind."

Can you take me higher?
To the place where blind men see
Can you take me higher?
To the place with golden streets

"It hurts Lina...it hurts" he whispered. It was her turn to cradle him in her arms like a small sick child. Those fingers, equally capible of death and comfort ran soothingly through his hair... heralding both.

"Shh...it will be alright soon. We'll be okay soon." her voice was like the whisper of the breeze and his heart ached with longing for it.

"Promise?" he asked through teeth now clentched with pain.

"Of course Xel...I'll take you home."

The light wasn't just behind them anymore, it was all around and growing. Golden sparks drifted from his angel's hair to light on his skin, and where they touched, the pain was eased.

"Home..."


"No! Xelloss-san!"

"Amelia?! What's wrong with you?!"

"You don't understand -- you -- "

"Gourry help me with her."

"But Xelloss is -- "

"He's dieing, as he should for what he did..."

"Zelgadis-san it's not what you -- ...Are you crying?"

"If it's not what i think it is then what the #@$% is it Amelia?!"

Although I would like our world to change
It helps me to appreciate
Those nights and those dreams

He stood again, with her help and looked back on the world for a moment. "It wasn't so bad was it Lina-chan?" he squeezed her hand lightly.

"Nope...why did the Mazoku want to destroy it anyway? I never did get that...they have to live there too after all." she had her head cocked to the side in that oh so cute way she had that made him want to crush his lips to hers and hold her tighty forever.

"I don't know either. Zelas-sama and I never did quite get what the rest of them were going on about...we did what we could really, considering." the Dark Star thing came to mind and he remembered how he had almost lost her when Valgarv had first opened the way. A small shudder ran through him, but he remained silent with his thoughts.

"Things will be better now Xel, for us. No one else will ever stand between us."

"Lina-chan...I'm sorry I couldn't -- " her fingertips on his lips stopped whatever else he was going to say.

"Shh. I know it wasn't your fault."

But, my friend, I'd sacrifice all those nights
If I could make the Earth and my dreams the same
The only difference is
To let love replace all our hate

"Can it be like this? Down there too?" he asked his white clad fire nymph.

"We'll just have to wait and see won't we?" she grinned and winked at him, and started pulling him into the light once more.

"Wait Lina-chan..."

"Let it GO Xel. Just say it and come on, we don't have much all day!"

"I love you."

"See was that so hard?"

He grinned to hear her laugh and made sure the sound was forever etched in his soul. "No actually...it felt...good." the pain was entirely gone now, and he felt...new, whole, complete...Golden.

So let's go there
Let's make our escape
Come on, let's go there
Let's ask can we stay?

"She loved him too much, and he loved her!"

"He's a mazoku Amelia! They don't love, and nobody could love one either!"

"Yes they could!!..."

"...What are you saying Amelia?..."

"Oi, you didn't -- ?"


"Tee hee, that tingles!"

"Shut up and get in you fruitcake."

"But Lina-chan...I wanna stay heeerrreeee...."

"Orders are orders Xel!" she grinned and disappeared into the light, and he followed her, not nearly as reluctantly as he made it seem. She knew full and well he'd follow her to the ends of the Chaos Sea if she asked him to.

Up high I feel like I'm alive for the very first time

Xelloss groaned and started to uncurl from the tight fetal position his thrashing had ended in.

"Look! He's stirring! He's not dead!" Amelia said, rushing to the trickster's side. "He's gonna be okay!"

"Not for long..." Zelgadis hissed, his eyes glowing danderously as he drew his sword. "ASTRAL VINE!"

"Zel-NO!" Gourry rushed to catch the chimera's hand.

"He KILLED Lina!" the chimera managed to ground out during the struggle that ensued.

"..." Gourry stopped trying to stop him

Amelia stood between the chimera and the purple haired preist. "No he didn't."

"We've been over this Amelia!" what does she think she's doing?! Why is she standing up for him!?

"He didn't kill her...I did."

Up high I'm strong enough to take these dreams
And make them mine

"Why did you do it, Amelia?"

"Lina! You're -- "

"I'm sorry Amelia..."

For the princess, the golden light went out.


Fanfiction