Of Mysteries and Secrets


Notes

Based on Sarah McLachlan's Building A Mystery.


You come out at night

He stepped into a patch of moonlight, allowing the shadows to play off of his pale features as they accented the darkness of his smirk. Oh yes, this was what life was all about; the thrills of seducing one's mortal enemy.

That's when the energy comes

"Firia..." He let his voice float down the hallways, where it gained an eerie echo that didn't improve on the ghostly quality it already possessed. "Firia, why don't you come out and play? I'm so bored of being out here all by my lonesome."

And the dark side's light

He knew she heard, and he knew she was watching. What she knew, he knew, and she knew that he knew.

"I'm sick of your games, namagomi." She stated as she stood firmly in the doorway.

And the vampires roam.

"But we haven't yet begun to play." He hungrily growled as he materialized behind her, wrapping his arms around her to render her helpless as he buried his face into her shoulder and nibbled the flesh of her neck.

You strut your rasta wear and a suicide poem

"Stop!" She cried, jerking away from him. He leapt outside in an intracate and masterful series of flips before landing gracefully in the branches of a dead tree.

"Little sinner, child-beast, run before I call the priest." He teased.

And a cross from a faith that died before Jesus came

"Why you..." Her face burned as her eyes danced alight with wrath. She hauled out her mace, chucking it at him before turning and slamming the door behind her.

Xellos opened his violet eyes, a glimmer of red shining in the amythyst depths.

You're building a mystery

"Firia, why won't you come out to play?" He asked mockingly as his body emerged from the shadows of her room. Angrily, she threw a pillow at him, then curled up and tried to sleep again. He smiled a dark smile, then melted into the dark once more.

You live in a church where you sleep with voodoo dolls

His chamber was filled with a thousand black candles; those were they whom he had claimed. Each and every one of them burned with violet flame... All but one. At the stained glass window the temple housed stood wone gold taper that refused to bend.

And you won't give up the search for the ghost in the halls

"One day, I'll find a way to make you break." He murmured, conjuring a phantom image of her in his gloved hands. "I'll make you mine, just like all the others."

Despite his dark promise, the golden candle remained true to its color.

You wear sandals in the snow and a smile that won't wash away.

He smiled the preditory grin that could be rivaled by nothing human. The icy void of emotion in his chest swirled, filling him with a numb kind of insanity. But the gilded light could not be swayed; rather, it grew.

Can you look out the window without your shadow getting in the way?

Xellos squinted and glared at the taper, his rage and determination flaring in a manner terribly similar to the beacon's light.

"Damn it all, I will have you like the others." He snarled, turning away.

You're so beautiful, with an edge and a charm

He raked his hand through his shoulder length purple hair, letting the other candles reflect their unholy light on his inhuman eyes. He took a deep breath, and smirked at the thought of his impending victory. Oh yes, for he never lost.

You're so careful, when I'm in your arms

He imagined embracing the delicate Gold Dragon with his dark power, imagined her yielding, giving in, and then imagined the final moments. How gently he would lift the dagger that would put out the light. How swiftly the light would go out.

'Cause your working, building a mystery

"My little dragon, I shall not lose, not with such a prize!" He laughed. He took one last look at the unphaseable golden candle, willing the darkness to swallow it before merging with the hole.

Holding on and holding it in

He lay waiting, watching her every movement. She was well aware that he was ever in the background, but she did nothing about it. To him it was a signal; the precious little golden maiden was weakening.

Yeah your working, building a mystery

Xellos only smiled when she called his name in her sleep. The dreams she had must have been nightmares of him slaughtering the other Golds, for her screams were those of great loss. He didn't need to see them to feel the pain they caused.

And choosing so carefully

Once more he smiled; he had been right to select her. When that gilded taper went out and burned black and violet, he would have the prize he fought so hard to win.

You woke up screaming aloud, a prayer from your secret gods

She was shrieking his name again. The sound was music to his ears. He peeked into her dreams for a taste of her tortured mind.

Xellos! Firia's cry was delicious, all around was blood and death.

You feed off our fears and hold back your tears

How could the raw emotions be so powerful that it hurt to absorb them? The fiery flavor of desire and the salty sorrow were so intense that he was almost moved to cring. The feelings were overwhelming.

You give us a tantrum and a know-it-all grin

He couldn't help but let out a small moan of pleasure and smile, licking his lips from the feast. But just what was the cause of such a meal?

"Whatever darkness you're harboring, I will know." He murmured. "I will know."

Just when we need one when the evening's thin.

He dove into her dream, his gem-like eyes never leaving her slender form.

Xellos. She called out to him. Why are you doing this? You can't win.

Oh, but I can. He thought. Can, and will!

You're a beautiful, a beautiful f@cked up man

So lovely. She laughed, manifesting before him and fingering his lavender hair. Soft, just like orchids.

Firia. Don't fight me.

You're setting up your razor wire shrine.

Who's fighting? She closed the gap between them, hungrily taking his mouth before he slammed up his shields and withdrew.

"I've got her." He grinned. Soon, he would hold her lifeless body and broken soul...

'Cause you're working, building a mystery

He wiped a single drop of sweat away from his brow, allowing the emptiness to consume the heat that wanted to devour him. He was the Seducer, the Trickster, the heart breaker. He would allow no one to turn the tables.

Holding on and holding it in

Xellos Metallium laughed as the insanity of the void locked the fiery little voice that lured him away from the Gold in a cage of ice and stone. He wouldn't let anything interfere, not even his own doubt.

Yeah you're working, building a mystery

She was waiting for him the next night. Sitting in the tree, wearing her usual white garb, smiling down at him with gleaming blue eyes.

"You certainly took your sweet time getting here." She smiled.

And choosing so carefully

"Why, Firia, I never knew you cared." He grinned in response.

"You've known all along." She replied, jumping off the branch and landing in front of him. "You always knew everything, didn't you Xellos?"

'Cause you're working, building a mystery

"That - " he began his trademark phrase, but she hushed him with a finger to the lips.

"Is no secret." She finished, eyes alight. "You wanted to make me just like all the others you've seduced, don't you Xellos? You want to own me, heart and soul."

Holding on and holding it in

Confronted by the truth and taken by suprise, he could only confess.

"But you didn't expect me to catch on until I was dying in your arms, ne?"

Yeah you're working building a mystery

"How very true." He smiled a smile that would have swallowed the sun, had it risen yet.

"Do you want to know a secret?" She giggled.

And choosing so carefully

"What secret is that?"

"I'm going to let you." She teased, wrapping her arms around his neck. "And do you want to know why?"

You're building a mystery...

"Why?" Violet caught Cerulean for a brief moment before one pair was closed forever.

"That's a secret!" She laughed with the void before lighting a violet candle with golden flame.


Author