Battle of the Century


Lina glared at her opponent, Gourry, while he did the same.

"You're not winning this time, Gourry Gabriev," she warned in an ominous tone.

He held his ground, and raised his weapon. "For once, Lina, I will beat you!" he declared.

"Hah! No one can beat the beautiful sorcery genius, Lina Inverse!" she laughed evilly, and raised her own weapon near his.

Zelgadis and Amelia watched from the sidelines, as far away from the two doing battle as she could get. Her eyes were round with disbelief, while he rolled his eyes at their dramatic tones, and carefully set his coffee down on the table.

At this unspoken signal, the two combatants clanged their weapons together and locked there, staring at each other for a sign of weakness. They slid their weapons apart, and came at each other with fast, furious blows.

"I'll never give it to you!" Lina shouted while slashing at Gourry's weapon defensively.

"So I'll just take it!" he replied.

Zelgadis shook his head. "You two are silly."

Amelia watched the weapons fly at each other, and muttered at him, "But they're fighting so determinedly."

He sighed. "Only Lina and Gourry would fight over such a trivial matter."

Meanwhile, Lina and Gourry slashed, parried, and attacked in a blinding flurry of almost inhuman speed. Gourry slashed from above, and Lina barely managed to stop it's downward descent. He backed off, and came at her again before she could counterattack, this time from head-on.

"Give up now!" Gourry cried in triumph as he attacked.

"Never!" she growled furiously.

From the sidelines, Zelgadis gave a wry, amused smirk and said, "I should probably settle this before they blow anything up."

Without waiting for a reply, Zelgadis grabbed the object of Lina and Gourry's fight. Immediately their attention swerved toward him.

Zelgadis put the object down in front of him, and stared calmly at their angry, bewildered faces before daring to speak. "It's just a roast chicken," he pointed out.

In unison, they whined, "But...we...want...it!"

"I'll cut it in half, so put down your weapons," he offered.

Reluctantly, the two set down their forks.

He nodded in satisfaction. "Good." With a quick slash from his sword, he cut the chicken straight down the middle, and handed one half to each hungry person. They glared at him for a second before returning their attention to the roast chicken and heartily digging in.

Zelgadis picked up his coffee cup again and took a careful sip while thinking, The battle of the century was just fought over a roast chicken.


Fanfiction