One of Those Days


It had been and enjoyable long weekend. Esis-chan's dear and best friend Roly had temporarily moved into the dragon caves, whilst her parents were off in another province, and learning everything there was to know about being a city girl. Of course the weekend was technically only 3 days long, and Roly was visiting for a whole week, so eventually the pair had to go back to class. Which is where the basis of our little story begins.

Esis shifted in her broiling seat entombed in Roly's non-air-conditioned car and opened the passenger side window as low as it could go. The wind tangled her almond tresses in mere minutes, but the breeze was most welcome. She glanced over her shoulder at her friend as she hear her curse at the stupidity of the driver in front of them.

"It's The Pedal On The Right!!! You Moron!" Roly shouted, her short calico colored hair trembled with her annoyance.

"Some people." Esis quipped.

"Some people's children." Roly added, a grin spreading across her face.

"Some people's children's children." Esis concluded as two male voices moaned from the back seat.

"Where are we going?" a young violet haired boy whined from behind the driver.

"Centennial Concert Hall!" Roly chirped, much to the demon boy's disgust.

"Could you explain why WE have to go with you on your errand?" the gorgeous blond dragon man beside him asked.

"Cause we wanted you 2 cuties to come with us when we go take pictures." Esis explained. "See we've got to get working on our final project for class. We're doing a 3D ballet; I'm in charge of the dancer and choreographing the dance, and Roly here," Esis pointed at her partner, who strangely resembled card captor Sakura, only older "Is building and designing the theatre, inside and out. We're going to take pictures of the inside so she can have a good visual reference to work off of."

"Well... I get why Mil-boy is here, what with Esis' dragon fetish, but why me?" the boy complained some more.

"Ah see Phibby," Esis began, "Roly really likes digimon but I don't have ANY digidestined at the caves today soo..."

"You were the next best thing!" Roly answered. "Ahm.. where am I going. I'm downtown right now."

"You go down that street there." Milgasia pointed out. "It takes you to the museum."

"Thanks!"

"I hope there's an ATM machine nearby so I can take out some cash to pay for parking." Esis thought out loud.

"There's on in the museum." Roly told her. "I saw one there once."

"Good."

"We're here!"

"Bout time."

"Let's Go!"

The small group parked, jumped fences, and dashed across streets until they were safely in front of the museum. They entered the nicely air-conditioned building and followed signs through twisting passages until they reached their destination, Centennial Concert Hall. They stomped up stairs to the main entrance and slowly made their way to the ticket booth.

"You talk." Roly muttered.

"Me! Why ME!?" Esis snapped.

"Cause!" Roly decreed and shoved the Emperor's Sister up front.

"Um.. Can I help you?" the girl behind the glass asked.

"Er.. yeah." Esis breathed. Calm, think calm...

"Hi! We're student from blah blah blah college and we're doing a blah blah project and yadda yadda yadda can we take pictures of the inside please?"

The girl looked at them a moment before replying. "You'll have to talk to security. They have a desk down stairs." Esis thanked her and they all returned downstairs.

"Where's this desk?" Mil asked, looking around. They had been wondering around for half an hour or so with no luck.

"I don't see no security guy." Phibby snorted.

"Hey!" Esis shouted, "he looks like security!" they rushed over to the seated man and began their shpeal once more.

"Well that sounds great!' the jovial man smiled, "but I don't work here. Good luck on your project though!"

"Crap!" Phibby swore.

"Oh.. thanks." Mil smiled sheepishly.

"Gawd, I'm embarrassed." Esis blushed.

"I was wondering why his badge said express." Roly mused.

Esis-chan glared. "You could have said something."

"I didn't think of it!" Roly defended.

"Where the hell is this Stupid guard!?!" Phibby spazzed.

Back upstairs, and determined to get directions, the quartet stumbled upon the manager. Lucky! reciting once again their identity and their purpose for being there they were once more rebuffed with the order to "go see security."

"At least she told us to go to the stage entrance." Mil offered the tired trio as they trudged their way around the building to the back.

"Look! Stage entrance!" the Emperor's Sister exclaimed with forced enthusiasm. It had been practically over an hour already. As they approached the door, a young guy exited and smiled.

"Hey maybe he'll be nicer to you since you've got a couple cute girls." He winked as he walked away.

"Phibby, Mil, you 2 wait here." The girls commanded and entered to face the head of security. After having repeated their speech for the fourth time that day, the two friends waited for what would come.

"Try coming back in the morning when I have more men." The cranky old guard told them. "Then maybe I can give you a tour." Defeated, they returned to the 2 cuties waiting outside.

"Morning? Oh yeah, That's helpful." Esis muttered.

"Humph, we're in Class during the morning and I doubt our Prof. will let us go." Roly snapped.

"Well so much for that." Phibby snorted.

"Hey. Isn't that the Manitoba theatre over there?" Mil pointed out. Within seconds all of downtown mains street could see 2 pairs of lunatics running madly across the street, avoiding on coming cars, to get to the other side. Panting and wheezing, they leaned against the wall, trying to catch their breath.

"Ah guys... its closed." Phibby said.

"WHAT!?" they chorused.

Hellmaster Phibrizo pointed to a sign, pasted on the glass behind them and read. "Closed for Renovations."

"DAMNIT!" and that said they returned to the other side of the busy street. They walked on, exhausted and hungry, thinking about going back to the car when...

"Look! It's the Pantageous Play House! Let's check it Out!"

"...."

"Guys we NEED those pictures."

"... but... its on the Other side of the street, which we just ran across, ... twice." Roly stated.

"Fine, I'll go check see if its open and holler for you guys." Esis volunteered, and grabbing the startled Hellmaster, ran like all hell.

"AAAHHHHH!!!!" Phibby screamed girly-like, "WHY MEE!!?"

"I ... *huff * .. don't wanna, ... *puff * .. go by *pant * my, my self .. *wheeze *." Esis gasped.

The duo walked over to the front entrance and tested the locks. "It's OPEN!!" In moments Roly and Mil arrived, safely due to teleportation, and joined them.

"Wish I'd thought of that."

They entered the play house and were promptly spotted by a friendly old man. With doubtful hearts they once more pleaded their case. They were pleasantly surprised when the old man answered "I'll give you 10 minutes." Fifteen minutes and many photos later, the gang happily bid their benefactor farewell and departed for the car.

"Gotta stop and get some cash to pay for parking." The Emperor's Sister sighed, relieved it would soon be over and they could go get some supper. Only as fate would have it, it was not to be, for the dreary day was far from over.

"Thought you said there was a bank machine here Roly."

"There was!"

"Looks more like a soda machine to me." Sneered Phibby. "I don't even have enough change to get a drink too."

"The lady over there said there's a bank around the corner." Mil informed them.

"The let's go.' Esis said and lead the way outside, into a shower. Yes, it had begun to rain, a lot. By the time they had reached the bank, they were 100% soaked.

"We made it!" Esis spit, ringing out her favorite black pleather trenchie. "Now to get some cash!" She marched up to the automatic teller, wallet in hand, as her companions waited patiently behind her. And waited. And waited some more.

"Problem?" Milgasia asked finally.

"Its temporarily out of order." Esis replied flatly.

"That does it!" the Emperor's Sister decreed after a pregnant pause. "I'm calling my mom!" She dug into her purse-of-many-things and pulled out her Mitsubishi. Dialing she put the cute little cell phone up to her ear and waited. As soon as the answering machine picked up, Esis-chan began chatting. "Hola! Soy yo! Coge el telefono! It's your daughter! She needs.."

"Ah mom! We need you to come get us, oh and bring some money for parking. We're at the bank across from the concert hall. Yeah, yeah, okay. See you then." She said before hanging up. "My folks'll be here soon."

"Saved!" muttered the young hellbrat.

"So what do we do until your parents arrive?" asked Milgasia.

"Wait?" Esis grinned as the handsome dragon rolled his eyes.

They all moved to perched, un-comfortably, on the window ledges, chatting about this and that. Eventually their numb bottoms won out and they moved to sit on the floor.

"I'm bored."

"We're all bored, Phibby."

"I've got some film left."

The dragon just sighed and silently be-moaned his fate. He suffered as the two females began wasting the rest of their film on pictures of them looking stupid. Even the hellbrat was getting into it. He watched, with some amusement as the three realized the people on the bus stopped outside the window were witnessing their random acts of insanity. Heavy with embarrassment two people instantly dived to the floor, out of sight, leaving the poor Emperor's Sister alone.

"Eep. Um... hi!" Esis waved to all the smiling people, who actually waved back. The bus moved on and the red-faced girl joined the others on the floor. "Thanks for ditching me guys."

"Heh heh ... sorry." Roly giggled.

"Hey you're right. She does laugh when she apologizes." Phibby noted. "Weird."

"How much longer until your parents arrive Ms. Esis?" Mil quarried.

Esis glanced at her watch and pursed her lips as she thought. "I dunno. Takes about an hour to get here, and its raining perdy hard, plus there's a lot of traffic. Hmmm a few more minutes I guess."

"Um... what to do... ARGH this is soo DULL!" Eventually, due to immense boredom, the quartet began entertaining themselves with those clapping games you learn on the school playground.

"Mae Sue, Mae Sue from... Alabama? How does that one go?" Esis grumbled.

"I don't remember." Roly answered.

"Don't look at me!" the Hellmaster snorted. "I don't play those dippy girl games."

"You are now." Mil teased.

"Shut up!"

The Emperor's Sister thought hard. "How about Shala-shala-ola?" she supplied, and that's how the time was spent. Moaning, groaning, stomachs rumbling, hands clapping, informing other customers that the machine was down, and trying to figure out the words to 'Mae Sue'.

Suddenly Esis jumped up. "DAD!" she shouted, as her father arrived.

"At last!"

the group explained their adventure, in detail, from the back seat of the Emperor's Sister's parent's car. With many a shaking, the crew were driven back to Roly's car and given a pretty new $10 bill to pay for parking. They ran over to the pay machine only to run back again.

"It doesn't take the new $10 bill." They informed Esis-chan's folks.

Returning to the booth, father in tow, they stuffed the infernal contraption with the correct change and were rewarded with 4 tickets.

"Huh?"

"Wha?"

"Um.. which one do we use?"

"Lets just try them all. One is bound to work right?"

So the irritated foursome collected Roly's oven with wheels and drove to the exit bar. Once there, they were greeted by the ever bothersome and grating female voice of the electronic parking exit meter.

"Please insert your ticket below #1." The emotionless yellow box droned.

"What #1?" Phibrizo looked confused as he stared at the yellow piece of tin. "There isn't one?"

"It means the slot." Esis groaned. "gawd you'd think we were leaving the airport."

"Um.. guys." Roly broke in. "Its not accepting the ticket."

"Try another one."

"I've tried all 4!"

"AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! WE'RE TRAPPED!!!!" Esis and Phibby cried.

Thanks be to La-sama that the Emperor's Sister's parent had stuck around, to save their hides once more. After a heated discussion between the toll booth people over their busted machine, they decided to screw waiting hours for the lazy buggars to send over a repair tech and escape. With the exit bar raised as high as the Emperor's Sister's dad could manage, they eased the thankfully tiny vehicle under, and onto the road.

With Janet Jackson crooning on the radio, and the Emperor's Sister re-singing the words to coincide with their semi-traumatic experience, they made their way back to the dragon Caves of the Emperor's Sister. There they dropped off their extra baggage and changed to go to eat dinner at Palatal.

"Ooh the irony. Having to pay people to let you cook your Own meal." Phibby said snidely, and Roly burst into laughter.

And so ended the bizarre, yet factual, day in the life of the Emperor's Sister and her partner in crime, Roly.


Fanfiction