Prolouge


Dark.

The night was dark and filled with the sounds of faceless animals. But that didn't matter now. Getting away was all that filled her.

"How ironic," Lina thought. This was the last thing she thought she'd ever do when confronted by an enemy. What a chicken-shit way to go!

"But what else can I do? Bop him with my slipper?" The mental picture made her laugh despite the grim situation. It wasn't her fault that the "curse" just had to kick in when it was the least wanted. But she forced herself to stop thinking and concentrate on her running.

Twenty minutes. She has twenty minutes to get off this godforsaken island; and to make it worse, the island was a giant maze.

How much she would give to have Zelgadiss with her! "How much?" Lina thought with tears starting to streak her face. If only he could play the prince and save her right now.

She shook her head. "What am I thinking? Zel as a prince?" Being desperate tends to change ones view on things.

And besides, she gave him the boot when he started to act possessive. Like she was with him anyway! Sure she could have gone with Gourry, but finding a new sword didn't compare with trying to get rid of a curse. She wanted to see the spell that could do it!

Of course, that gave Zelgadiss a big head. He is cute when he feels loved. "Really comes out of his shell," she thought smiling.

But this isn't important now! I need to get out!

Lina had been running for fifteen minutes now and it was beginning to wear on her. But her spirit was lifted when she ran into a clearing that over looked the cliff's edge.

Now all she had to do was climb down and she'd be safe in the sea. Damn that bastard for all he put her through!

But as she crept up to the edge, she could hear his footsteps behind her. "How did he find me so fast?"

She spun around to face him. "Damn cheater," she gritted out through clenched teeth.

He laughed and shrugged as he walked casually up to her. "I guess I won."

"I'll be damned to lie down and -" Xelloss grabbed Lina by her hair and shoved his staff through her chest.

The world spun around her as she fell into Xelloss' arms. "Xelloss... why?" she asked even though she knew his reasons.

Being a powerful sorceress who had defeated many Mazoku in the past wasn't any good in the minds of the other Mazoku. This was compounded with the fact that she wouldn't allow the change to take place.

She wouldn't become a Mazoku for anyone. Not even Xelloss.

But why should she want to become a Mazoku?

Because they have long lives? So do sorcerers.

Because they are powerful? So are sorcerers.

And who would want to be filled with such hate? Who would want to feed off of hate? She supposed it would be different if she was a Mazoku, but that didn't matter. To her it was an open and shut case.

It wasn't so cut and dry for Zelas and her minion.

Her chest hurt. But that paled in comparison to the pain of his rejection. Xelloss. She loved him once and still did.

Why?

She should have known better, she scolded herself. Should have listened to Zelgadiss.

Mustering her strength, she lifted her head to look once more into his violet eyes. Such beautiful eyes. But what she saw startled her. Regret? Nah, she must be imagining things. "Here is the guy who put his staff through my chest and I think I see regret?"

But as the world started to fade away, she could have sworn she heard someone's sorrow filled voice saying "I'm sorry, Lina-chan... But I'll find you again. I'll make it back to you.. I'll.. I'll.." The voice either broke off or she had fallen too deep to hear it.

This wasn't the way she was going to go! She absolutely forbad herself to die right here and now.

Struggling for control, she managed to open her eyes. "Xel..." she tried to start but realize that nothing was coming out.

Xelloss wrapped his arms around her tightly. "Shh.. It'll be over soon."

It was all too painful to her. The wound. Xellos. Her heart. She didn't know if she could stand it much longer, but she had to get one thing out. "Xel... I... hate you... Never want to see..." and with that, she allowed herself to fall down into the blackness that surrounded her.

But somewhere, as she fell, she thought she could feel someone's pain...


Chapter 1   |   Fanfiction