In-between Days


Yesterday I got so old
I felt like I could die
Yesterday I got so old
It made me want to cry

Another dead end. Another lead to his cure turned out to be false. He has finally come to the depressing realization that he may never find one. The thought hurt. He'd never be human, never have a "real" life, no one to love or be loved, because he was a monster.

But she doesn't think you're a monster, a nagging voice said inside his head. He shook his head to try to rid himself of that thought. She doesn't love me, he thought, she's just got a bad case of hero worship. Besides, after our last encounter I doubt she would even speak to me.

His mind goes back to the angry words he spoke, to him telling her that he hated her. Lies, but it was better for her to know what kind of monster he really was.

Go on go on
Just walk away
Your choice is made
Go on go on
And disappear
Go on go on
Away from here

The hurt on her face, the tears in her eyes broke his heart, but his face remained impassive as she turned and ran away out of his life.

And I know I was wrong
When I said it was true
That it couldn't be me and be her
In-between without you
Without you

He was wrong, he knew that. He wanted to be cured, wanted to be human again. For her? a voice in his head asked. Yes, he thought and it made him sadder. You know what you should do now, the voice said. Yes, but I'm afraid. What if she doesn't want me? What if she found someone else? Then you'd know the truth wouldn't you, the voice said, it's better than not knowing and hurting yourself with what-ifs.

Yesterday I got so scared
I shivered like a child
Yesterday away from you
It froze me deep inside

He couldn't believe his was back here, in Saillune. He'd come to see her, see if maybe...the thought went unfinished as he looked up and saw her.

Come back come back
Don't walk away
Come back come back
Come back today
Come back come back
Why can't you see
Come back come back
Come back to me

"Z-zelgadis?" she asked in barely a whisper. She walked up to him, reaching out as if to touch him, then drew back suddenly.

She'd changed, he thought. She's older, taller, and more closed. I did this, he thought, it's my fault. "Ameria, I just came to..." he stopped and just stared at her, hoping she could see what he was trying to say in his eyes.

And I know I was wrong
When I said it was true
That it couldn't be me and be her
In-between without you
Without you

She smiled suddenly and grabbed his hands in hers. "You came back" She said and hugged him tight. With that hug, he knew that no matter what he or other people may think about him, she would always love him.


Fanfiction