Part One: Sugar and Spice


Inside a small room of an Inn not far from Sairoon, a chimera sat on his bed, reading a novel about a young Shamanist. His azure eyes flicked from side to side as he hung on every word. It was the last page of the last chapter. It was the last paragraph. It read "The young man, now a master of his powers, left the girl to care for herself. As he walked away, her eyes on his back, she waved and a tear fell from her eye. However, he didn't see her, for he didn't turn back, and she knew he never would." Zelgadis slumped back clutching the book to his chest.

"Wow ... that was some book..." He let out a deep breath. "It was so familiar, like I've heard it before..."

Just then, Zelgadis's sensitive ears heard the soft padding of feet from down the hallway. The sound was not familiar. In fact, it was rather unusual for anyone other than himself to be awake at that time of night. From the sound of it, the shoes were of soft leather, more like moccasins than boots. The padding gradually gained volume until it could be heard from directly outside his room. Suddenly the steps came to a stop, creating a soft scuffing noise on the stone floor. Then, everything was quiet.

Zelgadis sat quietly up in his bed. He put the book he had been reading on the night stand beside him. Waiting another moment to see if the being outside of his door would attempt to enter he took in a sharp breath. He sensed something that he had never felt before, as if there was another part of him that was going to be introduced. It was behind the door. Something gravely important stood behind that door. At first he was apprehensive, but then he gained his composure. He stood erect and forced himself to the entrance. He swung the door open.

Behind the door was a crouched child. She was curled in the fetal position with her head against her knees. She was probably about 9 years old. As Zelgadis approached, she glared up. Zelgadis pulled back. There was great emotion in her eyes. He saw hatred, despair, loneliness, and something else... That look was so familiar, yet so distant. He stared at the child and she stared back. She studied his every move, his every expression, his every breath. He studied her as well. Who was this child?

Zelgadis felt a presence behind him. He whirled towards it, and saw a familiar man standing behind him.

"Xellos! What are you doing here?" Zelgadis growled.

Xellos pushed Zelgadis aside and headed towards the child. Zel stood in wonder as Xellos picked the child up and held her like a parent. She didn't struggle, but there was hatred in her eyes as Xellos grinned at her.

"My my, Zelgadis. She managed to find you again..." Xellos gestured towards the girl. "As she grows it is getting harder and harder to keep her contained." He looked straight into her eyes. "Now, lets get back home."

The girl growled at Xellos.

"Let me go! Put me down you monster!" She thrashed in Xellos's arms but he would not let go. In fact, he only held on tighter.

"Who's the monster here, Kim? Me, or your father?" Xellos motioned to Zelgadis.

"WHAT?" Zelgadis pulled back. "Who's her father?" Zelgadis demanded.

"Why, you of course, Zelgadis. Don't your recognize your own daughter?"

Zelgadis stared at the girl, his eyes wide. She had calmed down and was now staring back at Zelgadis. She blinked a few times and held her hand out for him to take. He held his out to her, but Xellos merely pulled her back. She gave a low whimper.

"Bye bye now, Zelgadis. See you later, when I have use of you." Xellos waved as he phased out. Kim gazed at Zelgadis, her eyes wet with tears, as she disappeared with him.

"No! Wait! Who is she? Xellos!" Zelgadis threw his head back and screamed at the ceiling. "I'll get you, Xellos!"


Part 2   |   Fanfiction