Part 2


Notes

navy = present

Normal colored text is the past


The form shifts and a face is reveled. It is covered with weeks old dirt and soot creases the wrinkles that are so prominent in the old face. The light cast by the fire briefly lites up her features and a small, hardly noticeable smile can be seen on her chapped lips. A slight groan is heard then the woman is silent again. She dreams on...

..."Liiiiiiiinaaaaaaa! Miss Lina, where are you?" Amelia tramped through the bushes, looking left and right for the sorceress. Wiping her black hair out of her face, she sighed wearily then turned to Gourry. "I don't know where Miss Lina could have gone. Are you sure she didn't say anything to you before she left?"

Gourry thought for a moment then slowly shook his head. "No..." He rested his hand on his Sword of Light and leaned against a tree, looking at the star studded sky. "I'm hungry. Let's go back to town. Lina will come when she smells food." He grinned at Amelia and started to head back the way they had come.

Amelia pouted as she peered through the trees, trying to see anything in the dimming light. "But...I need to talk to her!" she whined in her shrilly, high pitched voice. "Please Mr. Gourry? Just a little further?" She clung to his arm to stop him from going back to town.

Turning back to the princess, the swordsman nodded. "Oh, okay. But Lina can take care of herself you know..." he trailed off as he stared into the growing darkness. "Hey, what's that bright light?" He pointed to a place deep in the forest, then started to walk in that direction.

"Hey...wait up for me!" Amelia scampered after him, glancing around nervously. Trooping towards a strange light in the dark woods was not her idea of fun. As they neared the place, the light grew till it was almost a bright as day in the surrounding trees. The two slowed down and scanned the area for enemies of any sort, or anything out of the ordinary.

Gourry half crouched as he looked into the clearing that appeared before them, then lifted his nose to the air. "I smell...potatoes! And gravy with peas!" He bolted out into the clearing and spotted the platter of food resting on a log. Hurrying over to it, he made sure no one was about then scarfed down the food as fast as he could. Amelia watched in dismay from the trees as she listened intently.

How can he even think of eating in this creepy place? It's scary here! She slowly crept into the lighted clearing, still trying to figure out where the light was coming from. She looked towards the sky and gasped loudly. Gourry looked up from the empty plate, a smear of potatoes on his pouched cheek.

"Wha? Wha th' mamer?" He coughed on the peas then swallowed the mouthful, clearing his throat hastily. "What's the matter, Amelia?" She didn't reply, just pointed at the sky, slowly backing up till she was standing next to him. He looked then turned his gaze back to her. "And? What's so special about - " He didn't get to finish the sentence for the next instant a bright beam flashed down and engulfed both in its brilliance. When it disappeared, the princess and swordsman was nowhere to be seen.

Lina watched everything from behind a large tree. She was peeved that Gourry had eaten the food she had been about to claim for herself but her mind shifted to what had just happened. What was that?! It was odd... She calmly stepped out from behind the tree and searched the spot where Amelia and Gourry had been standing just brief seconds before. She turned her ruby gaze to the sky and watched as the bright light slowly diminished then disappeared altogether.

A deep laugh reverberated through the forest and Lina tensed, drawing her sword. "So, Lina Inverse, I finally caught you without your followers. Lucky you...or should I say lucky me?"

"Not quite." Zelgadis stepped into the clearing, sword drawn and an expressionless face. The sorceress glanced at Zel, surprise evident on her face. How long has he been following me? She scowled slightly, He doesn't think I can take care of myself!

Silence ensued then a shimmering figure appeared near the log. Lina squinted at it as the vision slowly cleared, then staggered back as she recognized the person.

The man laughed heartily and waved mockingly at Lina. "Does my appearance bother you? I don't know why..."

Zel stepped towards Lina. "Lina? Do you know this man?" He studied the tall man who had a slight resemblance to the young sorceress. This doesn't look right...who is this person? He rested a hand on Lina's shoulder but she brushed him off.

Taking a step towards the being, she smiled slightly, her bright eyes flickering between confusion and happiness. "Dad...? Is it really you?" The man's grin widened as he stepped forward to embrace Lina, though his eyes remained locked on Zel's. "I've missed you, dad."

Zelgadis didn't like how this was turning out, one minute Lina was angry; the next she was hugging this man who had appeared out of nowhere. Lina stepped back from the man and looked up at his handsome face. He turned his attention from Zel and smiled down at her tenderly. "You don't know how much I have yearned for this day to come."

Stepping away from her, he smirked at both of them as his face slowly melted...

The woman gaspes and awakens. She looks around the room, fright written in her dull eyes. Seeing that there was nothing to be afraid of she sighs softly and shifts her position. Groaning in pain, she arches her back as if hot irons are burning her then settles deeper into the sodden mattress. Closing her eyes, she continues the dream...


Part 3   |   Fanfiction