Chapter 1: Zest for Action? Slayers Together Again!


It was certainly one of the most imposing building she had ever seen: although it could not be defined as 'big', the dark grey squared stones gave the tall construction an authoritative look which the four likewise squared towers could not but reinforce. Moreover, if one gave a closer look, and noticed the massive, menacing monsters, decorating the archway and the window traceries, then the judgement would definitely turn to 'sinister'.

Indeed, this was the very word which came to Lina's mind as she beheld the much sought destination of her wanderings before her.

"Lina, do we really have to go there?", Gourry asked, staring at the threatening building with a very little inspired expression impressed on his face.

"Why, to be sure we have!", she screamed, slapping her companion's golden head. Having something to hit always made her forget about her own feelings, and in this case it helped her overcome the shivers which had gone down her spine.

"After this magnificent invitation", she continued, waving the golden envelope she had sorted out of her trousers pocket under Gourry's nose, "you cannot really expect me to turn my back and take to my heels just because of a bad taste hovel!"

'take to your heels?", a bewildered Gourry repeated, forming in his mind the highly improbable image of Lina sitting on the floor and holding her bare feet in her hands, like a monkey.

"It's an idiomatic expression, you stupid!", she cried, punching him, her face flushed. He did not understand, but pretended he did and instead asked her, in a concerned tone:

"Well, never mind, Lina: but are you really sure we can go now? I mean, are you OK? Because you see, if your magic is still weak and we are in serious danger, I'm afraid I won't be able to protect you with...this!", he concluded, pointing to the extremely normal sword which was hung at his left side.

"I'm very well, thank you!", she irritatedly replied. She didn't feel in the least like discussing her female problems with him. Then she admitted the truth in his words, and sighed heavily while looking at a hilt and a scabbard too elaborate to hide a blade of value. Of course, whenever they came across commonplace enemies Gourry's dexterity would always come in handy; but she knew only too well that, were she herself in a poor state, her companion would not be able to defend her even against a third-class Mazoku. She silently cursed the day he had decided to give the Hikari no Ken away. If only they had been able to find another powerful, magic sword! But all the months spent in search for such a weapon had been wasted away; nowhere had they found traces of its existence. Lina sighed again, then said:

"I am aware of the fact that it might be dangerous. It may be a trap, for all that we know about it. But this man..."- she tapped on the envelope with brilliant eyes - "...this man has promised us a considerable sum of money if we help him, and just in case you had forgotten we're totally penniless and we haven't seen a band of thieves for weeks!"

"I know very well we're broke!", Gourry cried, patting his rumbling stomach. "But listen, I can't remember: who is that man you're talking about?"

"Aargh!", Lina yelled, hands in her copper hair. "I have already told you dozen of times!!! He's the old and respectable local Duke. He's having problems he would not discuss in a letter and wants to engage us to fix them once for all. And this is the last time I tell you!"

"Oh, I see! And what problems does he have?"

"Gourry!", Lina barked.

They were now at the cross-roads leading to the castle. Besides the path they had taken, two larger roads also ended up there, one coming from the sea, the other from the northern lands. Heavy tracks could be seen on the ground, as if many carts had already passed that very morning.

And yet it is not even midday! , Lina thought. I guess this place is really the important meeting point they say it is. Maybe we are too suspicious, but after all one can never be too careful!

Two soldiers were on guard in front of the drawbridge. As Lina and Gourry drew nearer, each one crossed the other's spear, so as to bar them the way.

"Who are you and what is your business?", they cried in unison.

"Wonderful! Exactly the welcome I wished to receive! I'm Lina Inverse, you idiots, and this is Gourry Gabriev, my companion. We are here expressly at your master request!"

"miss Inverse!", a third voice exclaimed. It belonged to an approaching tall, slender, handsome captain in his early thirties, who made Lina's eyes gleam with interest.

"Let this miss and this gentleman pass!", he ordered, and the two subordinates obeyed respectfully. "Now, will you please follow me, Miss Inverse...", he said offering Lina an arm she took only too gladly, "...and Mr. Gabriev". As they entered the building, he thus spoke, after some minutes" silence:

"I am extremely sorry for this disagreeable inconvenient, Miss Inverse. The only excuse I can plead for your forgiveness is that we were not warned of your arrival".

They had crossed the castle's courtyard, and were now stepping into a large room, dominated by a huge staircase. The captain here stopped, and added:

"We had sent two of our men at Klee to escort you here, but no word has come from them yet".

"Oh, but that's because Lina...", Gourry blurted out, but was quickly induced to silence by the girl's lightning-swift and severe blow on his toe. While he was still groaning, she answered with a sweetish smile, looking deeply in the young man's hazel eyes:

"It is a question of no importance, captain; it's all forgotten. Now, would you please lead us to the Duke?"

The charming military man smiled back, and replied:

"I am afraid that is impossible. My master would never forgive me if you did not receive a more suitable welcome than a humble captain's. Please excuse me, Miss, Mister. If you are so kind as to wait here, I am going to call my master's counsellor".

He bowed lowly, then turned and elegantly climbed the stairs, followed by Lina's disappointed look. As soon as he was out of sight, Gourry burst out:

"Lina! That was a bad blow! And then why did you do that?"

She stared at him scornfully, then told him:

"Gourry, would you seriously have told him that we beat his men up and sneaked off because we didn't trust them?"

Blast it! Gourry was twice as handsome as that that captain, why was he always so dull? Or at least, couldn't he just shut his mouth up?

"I didn't mean this!", he softly said.

"Hush!", she bade him. "He's coming!"

A short, bald, big-bellied man made his appearance at the top of the stairs. No trace of the cute captain. Lina regretfully watched the presumed counsellor waving his belly up and down and mentally commented about the fact that he was wearing a richly embroidered dressing-gown.

"miss Inverse!", he cried out with a loud, shrill voice which echoed in the whole room. "mr. Gabriev! Your presence honours this humble mansion!"

Lina meaningfully observed the red, sparkling carpet running down the whole staircase, and the golden covering of the banisters and the knobs and told herself happily that her remuneration wouldn't certainly be "humble". She shook the sweaty hand given to her thinking of the most beloved sound of gold coins.

"Let me introduce myself: I'm Baka Usotuki, the Duke's friend and counsellor. Pray excuse me for the undignified outfit I'm receiving you with, but the point is that we hadn't been informed that we would be having the pleasure of your company so soon".

Lina checked herself so as not to sneer at this babble talk delivered with so much complacency and she tried to prevent the bald man from looking at Gourry's widened eyes.

"Yes, Mr. Usotuki, the captain already told us so. Now, would it be possible to see the master of the house?"

A big sweat drop came down his greasy forehead as he whined:

"Unfortunately, that's impossible. The Duke has recently had health problems, and he would meet you all together rather than personally".

"Meet us all?". Lina's countenance changed abruptly from pleasing to aggressively suspicious. "What the hell are you talking about? My companion and I were the only ones called by your master! It clearly says so in the letter he sent to me! Or is it an excuse to cut down our pay?"

While attacking him verbally, she had actually advanced menacefully towards him, pushing him back as far as the foot of the stairway: noticing the step behind him, the now dripping mentor stammered:

"Please, Miss Inverse: do not be upset! The reward for your help won't be liable to reductions!"

Having thus momentarily refrained her, he continued in a calmer tone:

"I simply took the liberty of advising the Duke to consult more than one expert to deal with this matter..."

"Shut up!", Lina yelled. I won't listen to you any more! If your master is not satisfied with our services, he may as well apply to others only . I refuse to use my skill for one who doesn't trust me. Gourry, let's go!"

"But Lina!", he replied, with big, watery eyes and one hand on his stomach.

"No, Gourry! We are not going to stay! I will not be insulted any more!"

While saying this, she was resolutely heading towards the courtyard with a huffy expression, but not half as fast as to prevent the fat man to catch up with her and block her.

"Please, Miss Inverse! Do not go! I'm really mortified, I must have expressed myself badly! I didn't at all mean to insult you! Please accept my most sincere apologies! Do not go away!"

Lina haughtily glanced at him, then slowly said:

"Does this mean you're going to send away the others?"

"No one else but you arrived yet! They're all on their way here, we expected the first ones this afternoon! Therefore, you see, it would not be proper to deprive them of this task after they went such a long way!"

She pronounced no word, but instead advanced, obliging him to step back.

"I beg you, Miss Inverse, do not go! I can understand your disappointment, but I'm sure we can make amends for this misunderstanding". The bellied counsellor gave a hint of a smile, then rubbed his hands and said:

"What about a doubled remuneration?"

Lina jeered at him, and went beyond him:

"Who do you take me for, a village witch?"

"Three...Five times the sum!"

She stopped and turned slowly. Looking carefully in his eyes, sparkling with conceited cunning, she realised she would not be able to obtain more; consequently she addressed her motionless travelling companion:

"Well, Gourry: on second thoughts I guess it would be rather heartless of us to leave an old man in a fix, however badly we have been treated".

"Oh, Miss Inverse! I'm so glad you changed your mind!"

Then, noticing a shape upstairs, he added, with a broad smile:

"Oscar just told me that your rooms are ready by now. You must be tired after your journey, and certainly would appreciate a good meal. Let me lead you upstairs".

Lina followed him, ignoring the astonished Gourry who couldn't help gawping at her and who was thinking: We're both starved, how can she possibly have improvised such a scheme? It is true that when it's for money Lina...

"Hey, wait for me!", he said aloud, as the other two were already at the top of the long staircase.

He managed to join them just in time to hear the mentor introduce the man now at his side:

"This is Oscar. He will be your personal attendant. Oscar, show Miss Inverse and Mister Gabriev their rooms".

"Certainly, sir", replied the man in white uniform.

"I will retire in my apartments as well: I had better change my unsuitable clothes. Later, if you feel like it, we can have a ride till the hills: there's a magnificent landscape you should not neglect to see". He bowed, then as they turned left at Oscar's: "Will you please follow me, sirs?", he took the right corridor and soon disappeared behind one of the countless doors.


The sudden light had blinded them. Following Oscar in the dim, endless passage-ways, they had got used to the permanent shade this castle with so little windows provided. Actually, Lina's eyes had even managed to detect some flaws in the red carpet which still was on the stone floor and it had not escaped her that, despite occasional decorations in proximity of the always closed doors and the elaborate receptacles holding the few torches hung on the walls, the upper storey was much less rich in furnishings than the ground one. She had wondered whether this Duke was really as wealthy as she had been told and whether he would or not be able to pay her the settled sum, but had stopped thinking as the much welcomed sight of a laid table had appeared before her. The door Oscar had eventually opened belonged to a large room much brighter than the corridors, and for a brief moment the unexpected light had prevented both Lina and Gourry from very little decently fling themselves at the greatly desired meal. Now, as she was waiting for the dessert to be served, laying back in her chair and caressing her stomach with extreme satisfaction - not only it was not a trap, but they were treated like kings! -, Lina observed the room more carefully. No pictures were hung on the walls, and the only household good was a scary five-branched candelabrum placed upon the lit fireplace. It was not exactly the sumptuousity she had dreamt of in the past days of ravenous hunger, but she had to admit it was just what the outward appearance of the castle induced to imagine.

Maybe the bedrooms are better, she hoped in her heart.

Besides the entrance, two other doors opened on to that room: to the left, one leading to what Oscar had called: 'miss Inverse's sleeping place", while to the right there was Gourry's one. She was about to get up and inspect her own "domain" when she noticed that the light was getting fainter and fainter.

"What's happening?", she asked Gourry.

"Oh, nothing. The sky is just clouding over. In a short while a storm will break out". He was looking out of the window, the right arm on the window frame and his golden head leaning upon it. The bluish light gave his features the noble look Lina often chose to forget; yet she now admired them, unseen.

She mused again at his silence. Ever since that day Gourry's mood had grown darker: he still made silly remarks and kept wanting explanations provided to him hundreds of times before, but generally speaking he talked so much less than he had always done since they first met. Yes, it was true that she had often wished he would shut up, but the silence she wanted was different from the one that had reigned between them after the accident. That accident: she could remember it as if it had taken place the previous day and not four months ago. They had been informed that a magical sword was kept in a not far-off shrine; accordingly there they went, only to end up caught in a trap. For reasons still unknown to Lina, a powerful Mazoku had entrapped them in an expressly made dimension. After unsuccessful attempts to run away ( she had not managed to summon any creature from their own world ) she had easily beaten him using her Laguna Blade. Yet she had not noticed the presence of another Mazoku, less powerful, but not less dangerous. Gourry had: he went at him with his sharp, common sword and was easily shaken off. The demon had consequently attacked her, still weak after the spell; warned by Gourry's cry, she had managed to divert the fiend's blow, which slightly wounded her left shoulder. Enraged, she had resorted to the four talismans and had cast the Dragon Slave, killing him.

"All's well that ends well", she had said; but Gourry had taken it badly. He had carried her in his arms - much to Lina's annoyance - to a nearby village, and despite her assurances he had sighed in relief only when the female doctor had told him Lina was indeed well. Yet from that day on his behaviour had changed. She would always find him brooding discouragedly at something, and when questioned he would never give a full answer.

After ten days of this depressing attitude, Lina's intention of respecting his feelings had faded away like snow under the sun and she had started a row expecting to be told what the matter was.

"I was not able to protect you. I'm sorry, Lina, I could not keep my word", he had answered her after a long silence.

This had made her furious.

"So it was this that was worrying you! Your chivalry ideals! Listen, Gourry: for the last time I'm not a damsel to be rescued and protected! I know very well how to look after myself, and definitely need no nurse!"

Yes; this was more or less the talk she had given him, and it DID have some effects on him: he had given up the beaten dog expression, and had got back to his old, dear habit of making dull comments; yet Lina clearly felt something had changed between them, and more than once she had wondered whether he was not just "acting" for her sake. Once it had never been difficult for her to understand what he wanted - food, sleep, action - or felt - fear, discomfiture, contentment -; now it seemed to her that Gourry was going beyond her, and she didn't fancy the idea in the least. She liked every situation to be under her strict control, and instead Gourry himself was slipping through her fingers! Her eyes followed the neat outline of his figure, fixing themselves on his big, broad, strong hands, so versatile...Painful irritation pervaded her as for the umpteenth time she looked for a way to restore the blind trust and complicity they had shared. Maybe if there were a worthwhile task to deal with, like the ones they had faced with the others...This was partly why she had accepted such an uncertain charge, besides the obvious pecuniary motivation: she had hoped that having to confront with a common problem might draw them closer after those months of tedious inactivity. Even though she greatly doubted their commission would prove an interesting one! Were it not a trap, thing she was still unsure about, it would probably turn up to be just some monster-killing, or bandit-fighting; decidedly nothing compared to the deed they had done together with their friends! Where were they, now?, she asked herself. She knew Zelgadiss and Amelia had gone back to Sailoon together; news had it that Philia owned an antiquity shop somewhere; but Sylpheel was nowhere to be found when they had called upon her in the surroundings of Sailaag, and although Martina and Zangulus were supposed to be rebuilding the Zoana's castle, no tidings had come from them. Not that she missed those two, to be sure; nor would she enjoy having Sylpheel around in such a critic moment; in spite of this, they were memories of a merrier past, and thus welcome.

And then there was Xelloss. Where the Trickster Priest was and what order he was carrying out now was beyond human knowledge, but thinking of him always made Lina remember that there was more to life than even she had yet to experience, and now it filled her with such a powerful desire for action that she would actually have got up and given Gourry a good shake hadn't her blood frozen in her veins all of a sudden.

If at first only drizzle had come down from the ever darkening sky, now countless were the heavy drops of rain falling to the ground, provoking a loud pelting occasionally interrupted by roaring thunders re-echoing in the whole valley.

Yet, although the complicated weaving of the castle's corridors increased the rumbling instead of muffling it, a distant but piercing wail could be heard. It was an inhuman cry, expressing a pain beyond bearing and a cruelty beyond belief. It lasted a heart beat; enough to frighten both Lina and Gourry out of her wits and to make them throw themselves out of the room in search for clues.

CRASH!

Despite Oscar's frantic attempts, the huge cake squashed itself on the red carpet, missing Lina's feet by an inch.

"Oh, sirs! I'm so sorry!", stammered the desolated attendant Lina and Gourry had bumped into.

"It doesn't matter, Oscar! What was that?", Lina cried, still on edge.

"I beg your pardon?", said the youth with wondering eyes.

'that moaning! You cannot possibly mean you did not hear it!", Gourry yelled, as if ready to assault him if he denied.

The servant stared at them; then his face brightened as he understood, and he burst out laughing. Noticing the hosts" bewildered look, however, he restrained himself, coughed gently and apologised with a serious expression:

"Please excuse me, sirs. I didn't mean to offend you. It just seemed to me rather amusing that two professional people like you could believe in the castle's ghost".

"The castle's...", Lina began.

"...ghost?", Gourry ended.

"Certainly! The spirit of our present Duke's great-grandfather, who was slaughtered by his brother in this very castle. Ever since his cry of agony has haunted this place". The youth's eyes were glinting with merriment, but as Lina and Gourry didn't seem to enjoy the legend as he did, he looked at them, all incredulity, and then uttered:

"You do not seriously mean you actually heard a cry?"

"That's exactly what we told you two minutes ago!", Lina replied sharply.

"But...when?"

"Just before we knocked you down!", Gourry answered him rather aggressively.

"I heard nothing at all!", Oscar exclaimed. "And I was just outside your room!"

"Are you by chance suggesting we made it up?", both hissed approaching menacefully with an assassin glare.

"I would never dare to even conceive such a thought!", he protested loudly, cowering.

"Then, what's your explanation for what happened? Because, of course, you DO have an explanation!", Lina smiled, with a growing luminous sphere in her right hand. Oscar swallowed hard, as if wishing he himself could be swallowed up by the ground; at last, just as the girl's raising arm had reached its highest, he cried out:

"I know! I know!"

Beckoning them to follow him, he advanced avoiding carefully the slippery smashed cake (something Gourry forgot to do: he tripped, and as Lina was the only 'thing" he could have clung to avoid falling, he realised it was wiser to bang his nose rather than having no more a nose to be banged ) and led them to an old, beautifully carved wooden door not too far from their room.

"Well??!!", Lina mocked him.

He brought a finger to his mouth: 'shhh!"; then he gave the door a light push: it creaked long and awfully, revealing a broken stained glass window.

"The Duke's youngest grandson did it last week before leaving. We haven't yet managed to get hold of a good glazier and consequently this old door tends to open itself whenever there's a draught. You heard it: it does creak!"

Gourry, one hand on his bleeding nose, was about to burst out at their attendant's triumphant and rather mocking air: how could he possibly think to take them in with such a groundless story? However, Lina's gave him a meaning look, and although he did not understand, he said nothing.

"Well, so this has been settled! Do you want me to fetch you another dessert or has your hunger gone after this fright?"

This was plainly insolent! She could not let it pass, even though it was clear the servant hadn't understood who he had to do with!

"Fire...", she began shouting, but Gourry grabbed her arm and begged:

"Don't, Lina! It's a narrow place, you would play havoc!"

She subsided, but shrieked:

"You impudent youngster! You"d better be off, before I change my mind! And go and get that dessert, quick!", she rebuked the scared Oscar who was retreating rather hesitantly, as if afraid of being struck as soon as his back was turned.

As he closed their room's door, Gourry asked her:

"You didn't really believe that absurdity, did you, Lina?"

"Of course I did not!", she conceitedly replied. "I just thought it best not to let anybody know we suspect of something happening. Even though I doubt that Oscar has anything to do with it!"

This was so unlike her that it set his mind at work, and as she sat back, Gourry bitterly came to the conclusion that she was driven to prudence because she did not feel secure enough. He could not blame her for not wrecking the whole house trying to find out more about that inhuman wail. After all, if there was really something uncanny, then probably there were the Mazoku behind it and against them he could be of little use to Lina. Remembering that was a painful blow for him, but he tried to shake it off by saying:

"Well, I do not know what's your opinion on this point, but I did not like this place before and I do not now. It gives me the creeps: it's rather a tomb than a nobleman's mansion. Have you not noticed that we never met with more than three people at once? And I do not think they put us in such a secluded part of the castle just by chance. At least, the windows give on to the north road, the broadest and the most trodden: if something queer happens, we may escape this way", he had concluded, resuming his former position by the window.

While he was making this speech, Lina's jaw had gradually dropped: she could not believe her ears! Not only Gourry had given the longest talk regardless of food and war actions she had ever listened to in four years, but he had also spoken words of plain sense and, if certainly not of sheer genius, at least of sharp understanding. After the first moment of utter disconcernment, however, her heart filled with a strange mixture of amusement and pride. Eventually, her repeated attempts of putting some judgement in his head had proved successful! She felt she ought to be satisfied of this progress, yet she couldn't help finding that concentrated expression of his rather funny. Actually, his frowning face reminded her of a child all absorbed in his doings, and the thought both entertained her in her own superiority, and sweetened her, so that the voice she addressed him with had little of the biting sarcasm which distinguished it:

"Well, Gourry! I must say! That was really a bright speech! But it's perfectly useless to drive ourselves crazy upon things that haven't yet happened and might not happen. So relax, OK? I'm sure that cake will do us good! Gourry!"

Lina abruptly changed tone as she noticed that he wasn't in the least paying attention to her. She was about to bark something else at him, when he called her:

"Lina! Come and have a look, will you?"

She approached, still with offended eyes, and as she followed his finger and took into consideration a riding figure passing just under their windows, he said:

"Now, isn't that Amelia?"

She gave a start; then she brought better into focus the rider and cried:

"Why, you're right! Let's go and greet her!"

A moment later, their room was once again empty and another dessert was squashed on the red carpet.

"Amelia! You still haven't told me why you've come here alone and with no escort!", Lina reminded her rather impatiently as she handled her usual white travelling outfit, which had luckily escaped the rain in a waterproof bag. From behind the mother-of pearl screen, the Princess' much unenthusiastic voice replied:

"Yeah. I know".

They had met her in the hall; the guard who had accompanied her there had very little ceremoniously left on seeing them. Apparently a young stableman had taken care of her horse; and as soon as the military man had disappeared from sight, a running maid had joined them, anxious to show the soaking wet Amelia a nearby dressing-room, in a corridor Gourry and Lina had not noticed before. Despite the fact that it was altogether an extremely suspicious scene - never more than three people at once, just as Gourry had said, and where had that corridor sprung from? Lina had thought, almost sure it hadn't been there when they had met the counsellor Usotuki - both had welcomed whole-heartedly the Princess of Sailoon and they had also remarked that since the previous year she had grown much taller.

"Why, you're about Lina's height by now!", Gourry had complimented her, but had quite spoiled the effect thus correcting himself:

"Even though that's not saying much".

After kicking him, Lina had reproached the not too happy princess:

"What's the matter, Amelia? You seem really in a bad mood! Is it because you were caught in a shower? Why didn't you cast..."

Her embarrassed expression made Lina immediately understand the situation.

"You too!", she had cheerfully exclaimed. "Oh, well, never mind! But you'd better go and change before you catch a cold. I'll come with you", she had quickly added giving a not at all pleasing glance to the until then unheeded maidservant.

At last, while Gourry was waiting outside the room as he had insisted for, Lina felt the time had come to get some explanation. Amelia was in all respects a good sorceress, but why should she, the Princess of Sailoon, be called to solve a second-class local problem, and this far from her own birthplace, too? Why had she accepted? And above all, why was she alone? If it had been her decision to bring her there, why wasn't Zelgadiss with her? She knew quite well things between them had taken a more serious turn, and she held her chimera friend in too high esteem to believe him capable of letting his girlfriend go through such a tiring journey all on her own. If instead the Duke was more than a local authority, and Amelia had come for reason of State, why hadn't such a loving father as Philionel sent an escort with her?

There was something wrong with Amelia's presence there, and Lina would have gladly cross-questioned her at once hadn't it been for the Princess" desolated air. Her depressed expression was even more underlined by her red sunken eyes and her much too pale complexion. Even the plain country-girl dress she had just taken off and put on the screen had a shabby look: the fabric was so faded its original colour was hardly guessable, and it definitely gave the impression of having shrunk many times. Watching this unusual frock, Lina couldn't restrain herself from pressing her friend, as gently as she could:

"Well? Come on, Amelia, talking is often a big help, you know".

A deep sigh was heard from behind the mother of pearl partition.

"You see, the point is that nobody knows I'm here", she eventually replied in a weak voice.

"What?", Lina exclaimed.

"I...I escaped", she explained in an even fainter tone.

"You did what???", Lina cried, violently thrusting aside the light screen so as to be able to look her in the face.

"Lina!", Amelia screamed, wrapping one arm about herself and re-opening the movable partition with the other.

When has Amelia started to wear black underwear? , Lina thought, rather shocked at this discovery. She was older than the Princess, and yet it had never crossed her mind to do such a thing! Maybe she and Zelgadiss...Lina's face flushed at this thought, so she angrily scolded her:

"Amelia! How could you possibly have the courage of doing that???!!! Phil will be heart-broken!"

She heard no reaction; then, as she was beginning to worry whether she had hurt her friend's feelings, Amelia herself, fully dressed, came out and threw her arms around Lina's neck, tears rolling abundantly down her lean cheeks.

"I know it, Lina! I know it! And I cannot forgive myself! But what else could I have done?", she whimpered among the sobs.

"Now, now, Amelia, calm yourself!", an embarrassed Lina finally managed to say, patting gently the Princess" back. After a while, as she felt the crying fit was dying away, she kindly freed herself from her embrace and made her sit on a stuffed stool, as she herself did the same.

"Now, Amelia, tell me what happened since we last saw each other, but calmly, right?", she specified, taking her hand in her own and caressing it soothingly. Actually, she didn't like this business in the least; playing the big sister role didn't become her at all. Yet she had realised this was the only was to get something out of Amelia; and besides her friend was really badly shaken. To what lengths did one have to go for friends' sake!, she thought. Having thus commiserated herself, she paid all the due attention to the Princess' tale.

"Well, Zelgadiss and I ..." - Lina noticed the difficulty with which she pronounced his beloved name - " came straight back to Sailoon after we left you at the harbour. I wanted to see my Dad as soon as I could, so that he would cease worrying about me: after we set foot on the outside world I could send him no tidings, so I knew he would be rather upset. Zelgadiss didn't object, so we immediately made for my city. My father was overjoyed to see me, and he was all too thankful to Zelgadiss for taking me back, or so he said. That's why I managed quite easily to ask Zel to stay, and he accepted".

The Princess paused, and Lina squeezed her hand slightly, trying to look as comforting as she could, while in reality she could have bitten her tongue for telling her to start from the beginning. If she went on relating useless details, she was sure she would...No, this she could not do. After all, it was all her fault, and then she could not do such a thing to Amelia. Besides, a Dragon Slave would tear the castle to pieces, and if it wasn't a trap - hypothesis she now very little believed in, but which could not be disregarded so entirely - not only would the Duke refuse to pay her, but he would certainly also charge her with damages to a private property. No, there was nothing else to do but listen quietly to Amelia's words. She hoped her story would get interesting quickly, otherwise she knew she would soon doze off.

"Oh, Lina! I spent the happiest six months in my life! We made long walks in the palace garden; we watched the sunset together; once I even convinced him to come with me and defeat a trespassing band of marauders! Oh!", she sighed, "everything was so perfect!"

Her widened watery eyes brightened with deep emotion at this overpowering memory, totally unaware of Lina's astounded and horrified look. Zelgadiss the champion of Justice? Despite everything, the idea appalled to her.

"But then ...", the Princess added, her face saddening all of a sudden.

"Then?", Lina asked rather eagerly.

"Well, one day we were reading a book and...", she stopped herself, blushing deeply.

"Oh, I see! You were sharing the same volume and when you leant on his side to give a better look to a picture, he kissed you", Lina ended.

Amelia stared at her, opening her mouth wide and exclaimed:

"How do you know?"

She didn't answer her; instead she crossed her arms and pouting slightly she muttered:

"Always the same trick! That's why I say: never read a book together with a man! Yet I wouldn't have expected it from Zelgadiss!"

"What? ", said Amelia, who apparently hadn't caught a single word.

"Oh, nothing!", Lina replied casually. "Go on, please!"

"Well, just as we were getting..."

"...more intimate", she suggested to the embarrassed Princess.

"Err, yes...we were interrupted by..."

"...by your father, who rushed in and began yelling in an outraged tone", Lina triumphally concluded.

"No! Lina, do you want to hear my story or not?", Amelia cried, somewhat offended.

"Oh, yes! Definitely! I'm sorry, Amelia. I just lived the part too much", she apologised smiling nervously.

"A servant entered the room, and reported I was urgently needed, so I said to Zel I would be coming back in no time. But when I returned he wasn't there. I searched for him everywhere, and finally a maid told me he was in my father's room, discussing a matter with him. I started running - oh, Lina! I don't know how or why, but I knew there was something wrong going on - and just as I got there I heard they were having a row. I threw the door open, and as Zelgadiss saw me he gave me a long look, then went past me and walked away. I tried to stop him, but my father prevented me from running after him and said it was better so".

The Princess was crying softly, and Lina couldn't help feeling for her. Yet she did not understand: why should Philionel deliberately do something that would cause pain to his darling daughter? It made no sense at all! There was undoubtedly something else. She said so, as tactfully as she could:

"I don't know", Amelia helplessly replied. "Dad even refused to tell me what had happened between them. He repeated over and over that Zelgadiss was not the man for me".

Lina brooded over this for some while, then, finding no explanation and bored of the tearful atmosphere, she slapped her friend on the shoulder, and cheerfully said:

"Come on, Amelia! If that's all you were worrying about, comfort yourself! You know how Zel's like. He generally gets rather touchy. You shouldn't have run off just on his account!"

"I did not", the Princess sharply answered.

"What do you mean?", a surprised Lina asked.

"There's something else. My father wants me to marry the Prince of Karirand".

"Eeehhh?", Lina cried. "You're not speaking in earnest?"

Amelia looked at her, and Lina realised her friend's mood didn't allow her to joke. "I cannot believe Phil did such a thing to you!", she exclaimed, amazed. "And who is this Prince?" I never heard of Karirand before!"

"Karirand was a really small state north-west of Sailoon. Till last year, that is to say. Then two of the nearby kings died heirless, and their realms were united with that of Karirand", Amelia weakly explained.

"What a stroke of luck!", Lina sarcastically commented.

"No, it's not what you think", she denied. 'they were both very old, and even the physician my dad sent to investigate attested they died of natural death".

Lina didn't look at all convinced, but she judged it was not the case to enquire upon such a little relevant question, especially at that moment, so she asked whether or not she had seen this Prince.

Amelia nodded, smiling slightly, and further questioned she said:

"When my father informed me of his plan, I was so upset I would not speak to him. How could he disregard my feelings so entirely?, I told him. He was really crushed by my reaction, and although I was still cross with him, in the end I could not help listening politely to what he had to say. Once he was over, however, I wanted to make him see it could not be done, at least for the simple fact that I had never seen this Prince before. Dad agreed it was reasonable of me wishing to know whether our personalities were compatible or not, and he said he would arrange a meeting as soon as possible. I objected to that, because in this way I would never find out what he was really like, but simply what he would desire me to believe he was. My father thought about that, and then he said he had contrived a means to smooth the obstacle. He advised me to dress up as a normal country girl, and thus try and get to know him while he was in the city of Drob on private matters. So I did", she concluded.

"Now, Amelia, let me get this straight: are you positively stating that not only you accepted to meet the man Philionel wants you to marry, but that you actually disguised yourself so as to understand whether he is a suitable husband or not???!!!", Lina exploded, wavering from complete bewilderment to anger, from worry on her friend's behalf to concern for Zelgadiss" feelings.

"Please, Lina, do not misunderstand me!", the tired Princess implored. "I knew very well it would never work, but as it cost me nothing and it seemed to make dad happy..."

"Amelia!", Lina harshly reprimanded her. "We are speaking of your happiness, not of your father's one!"

Seeing her comment had managed only to make her friend even more abashed than she already was, Lina puffed, then she tried to distract her:

"Well, tell me: how is he?"

"Oh, he's nice ", she admitted. "I was on the road to Drob when I first met him. I had to come across a bunch of thieves, and just as I was about to attack them, he intervened. He made a wonderful entrance, too!"

Her sad attitude was for a moment enlightened as she described:

"Coming from nowhere, a voice started praising Justice and reprimanding the criminals for their evil actions. Then, as everybody was silent, he appeared right among them, landing as lightly and gracefully as a swan, and he introduced himself as the Prince of Karirand while white feathers were floating all around him!"

Quickly stifling a giggle at the thought of how many hens were clucking plucked because of this hot-headed Justice-defending Prince, Lina noticed with relief Amelia was much more able to accept the truth than she once was. She remembered very well how she had scolded Sylpheel for suggesting her father as not perfect; instead now she had even gone as far as acknowledging Philionel had done her a wrong, and in spite of this she still had such a deep love and respect for him that she had done everything in her power to try not to hurt him.

She couldn't avoid admiring the Princess" absolute and unshakeable feelings, even though she feared sooner or later her friend might be bitterly disillusioned; wishing to keep this sickening idea off her mind, she asserted in a teasing tone:

"It seems to me that your betrothed made really a good impression on you!"

"Lina!", Amelia cried, looking hurt. Watching closely her satisfied expression, however, she understood it was an attempt to make her react, and smiled a little, grateful. Then she said: "He did make me a good impression. He's an extremely kind man. Just think that his "private matter" at Drob was taking care of his old, sick nurse!"

But her mood grew darker as she added:

"Yet what I feel for him is too different from what I feel for Zelgadiss".

"Amelia!", Lina exclaimed concernedly as she realised the Princess hadn't told her everything.

"You see", she answered her silent question, "after he defeated those robbers he turned to me and said he would be only too glad to escort me to my house. It was then that I got that he had mistaken me for a lost country girl, so I told him my name was Lulu and that I wasn't lost , but simply on my way back to Sailoon after visiting some relatives. He was shocked at hearing of a girl going alone on a two-week journey, and he insisted on coming with me."

"So you went back to Sailoon with him", Lina thoughtfully said.

Amelia nodded, and continued:

"It was interesting. We came across many other bands of plunderers and I helped him overcome them. I learnt lots of useful techniques from him, too! He was surprised when he discovered I could use magic, but commented that if it was for Justice, every means was excusable". She paused, and took a long breath.

"I confess I like him. He is so brave, devoted body and soul to the cause of Justice. But I consider him as a friend, nothing more, and I thought he did the same. Therefore I was thunderstruck when he declared to me".

"He declared to you?", burst out Lina, who had already smelt a rat at the old nurse's story.

"After such a short acquaintance? Are you sure he didn't know who you really were?" She shook her head.

"He told me he understood he might be taking me by surprise, but he had never met such a person as me in his life, somebody sharing his same passions and beliefs. then he explained his father wanted him to marry the princess of Sailoon, and that although he had heard only good of her, he didn't feel like marrying an unknown girl. He said that actually Sailoon would have been his destination anyway, as Prince Philionel had officially invited him, but stated that now that he had met me he wouldn't be going at all. He wanted to spend all his life with me, even if it cost him the throne".

"And what did you answer him?", Lina asked, her face tense with eagerness.

"Well, I..."

A sonorous knock interrupted them.

"Lina! Can you come out a minute?", Gourry said from behind the door.

"Not now! Shut up!", Lina angrily screamed. "Go on, Amelia!"

"But...", the Princess protested.

"Forget about Gourry! What did you do?"

"I told him I needed time to think about it. In the night I went away, leaving him a letter in which I told him who I was in reality and why I could not return his love".

The Princess' voice was broken with sadness as she related what she had done. Lina pressed her hand sympathetically.

"And how did you feel?"

"Awful. Really awful". Her eyes filled with tears, but she tried hard to hold them back.

"I did it just because I didn't want to make my father unhappy and instead I managed only to deceive another person besides dad. Because, of course, after what had happened I could not go back to Sailoon. Oh, Lina! I cannot forgive myself!"

"Come on, Amelia! Don't be that hard to yourself!", Lina exclaimed, putting one hand on her shoulder and shaking her gently. "You tried to do your best, as you always do".

"But I failed, and made two person wretched!", she cried, covering her mouth in vain attempts to suffocate her sobs.

"Stop it, Amelia!", Lina yelled, finally finding the courage to say what she thought in spite of her friend's state. "You're taking this thing from the wrong side! It is not you who ought to feel guilty, but your father! This is all his doing! If it hadn't been for him, you would still be with Zelgadiss and all this dreadful business wouldn't have taken place! And as for that Prince:

"Personally speaking, I doubt two weeks are enough to fall in love with a person. I think it was just a crush. But even if he really loved you, he would perfectly understand the situation and blame your father for it, not you. You did just what any other loving daughter would have done!"

The Princess stared at her, struck with this reasoning: she had never seen the matter in this light, and eventually she said:

"Do you really think so?"

"Yes, I do!", Lina confirmed.

"Then you don't think..."

"No, definitely not!"

"So I can..."

"Oh, yes! Absolutely!", Lina agreed, not having the faintest idea of what the Princess was asking her about, but trusting her assertive tone would prove a sufficient assurance. It did; that moment her friend smiled, for the first time in the true sense of the world, and her face relaxed, as if a great load had been taken off her shoulders.

"I'm glad I've met you again, Lina", she said with a pair of big, round eyes full of gratitude which made the red-haired sorceress even more proud of her own cleverness than she already was. Taking advantage of Amelia's grudge against Philionel for the Zelgadiss matter in order to drive out her pitiable fit of self-accusation had really been a stroke of genius!

"Even though..."

Lina's look turned hallucinated in seeing the Princess lowering her head: if she started her mea culpa again, she would forget their friendship and box her ears!

"...I'm sure my father meant well!"

She sighed heavily in relief, then quickly backed her up:

"Oh, I'm sure about that too! But he made a mistake, as it happens to the best as well, and you couldn't have taught him a better lesson! Running away was really considerate of you, Amelia!"

Hadn't she exaggerated a bit? Could the cheating tone be detected? No, her friend was too much worn out to notice such an imperceptible hint. It suddenly crossed her mind that Amelia's condition might prove a serious problem if that really turned out to be a trap. It was plain she was both physically and mentally exhausted, and while she could understand the emotional anxiety she must have experienced, it was quite beyond her imagination to get which actual hardships she could have gone through to look a shadow of her former self. Surely her female problems couldn't have reduced her so! She was about to question her on this point when the Princess, who had been reasoning on Lina's words, at last fully agreed with her.

"Yes, you're right as usual, Lina! My escape will oblige him to think about his actions, and as it is Justice which runs in his veins, it will not be long before he acknowledges his wrongs!"

Realising she wouldn't be able to choke back sneers much longer if Amelia kept on giving this preacher's speech, Lina tried to divert her attention as best as she could.

"Undeniably, Amelia! By the way, what's happened to you ever since you fled? Because your health isn't this good at all!"

"Oh, no! There's nothing to worry about, I am all right, thank you. Actually, it's quite a funny story. Not long after I left the Prince, I met in the woods with this tired out messenger, who could hardly drag himself along. I assisted him, and wanted to help him reach the nearby village to get some rest, but he refused, saying he had a very important mission to fulfil. I asked him what this mission was, and he answered he had to get to Sailoon as quickly as he could to deliver a very important letter to Princess Amelia. He was so desperate I was very glad to be able to comfort him, so I told him he didn't have to struggle any longer, as I was the Princess. Well, would you believe it, Lina? He didn't take him in earnest, not even when I showed him the royal seal!", Amelia cried out, clearly indignant.

"Well, you cannot criticise him too much! With that rag on!", Lina laughed, happy to see her friend regaining her usual mood so quickly.

But the Princess didn't seem convinced at all as she gave a pondering look to the dress still laying on the screen.

"It was not a good reason! He obliged me to steal the letter!"

"You did WHAT?", Lina screamed, utterly bewildered.

"Of course! He had told me his master was in a terrible mess, and that he needed the Princess" help urgently. I couldn't let somebody in trouble because of his stubbornness! It would have been acting against Justice!"

Lina's expression clearly showed all the horror she felt: evidently Amelia's soundness of mind left much to be desired after Zelgadiss jilted her!

Luckily her friend was too absorbed in her story to notice her reaction:

"So I rushed here as soon as I had read it, but that nuisance has been dogging my footsteps ever since, calling me thief and claiming the envelope back, not allowing me to get a single's night sleep! And when I finally get to my destination, the guard explains to me the Duke's trouble is big, but not that urgent, and that it was just that poor fanatic's misconception! But Lina: now that I think of it, you didn't tell me why you two are here!"

"The same reason", Lina smiled, unwilling to disclose her any other detail until sure she had fully recovered.

"The same reason? Then it must be something really important!"

"Actually several other people were called. It's going to be a sort of official meeting to find a solution for the Duke's problem, but I'm not able to tell you more about it", Lina said, while thinking: It would be pointless to tell you even if I did Know something!

"Oh, I see";

Taking the opportunity given by her silence, Lina, who felt badly the need to have Gourry's imposing presence next to her now that she had found out the Princess would be of little practical help, proposed:

"Listen, why don't we go and see what Gourry wanted?"

"Good idea! Let's go!"

None of them cared to collect the colourless frock, dripping unwanted on the floor.


Opening the door, they found no trace of Gourry, and Lina would have started to yell angrily hadn't they heard his voice coming faintly from the hall. It seemed to them he was speaking with somebody, at least judging from his regular pauses; yet none of them could hear his interlocutor, who apparently was speaking in a much lower tone. Yet, as the corridor came to its end, Lina realised there was something familiar in the whisper getting now clearer and clearer. The very moment she recognised who the voice belonged to, both she and Amelia stopped: before them stood, in his usual beige travelling cloak and trousers, Zelgadiss Graywords. Wonderful! Exactly the person I needed to get her better! ,Lina thought rather bitterly as she gave a worried look to the Princess. How was she taking it? Would she run and embrace him or would she instead begin one of her reputed dramatic speeches? Her face did not tell: it was strained to the utmost, indicating the tumults which were taking place into her delicate heart, but showing no resolution.

Well, at least Zelgadiss will prove useful if something really happens, Lina tried to cheer herself up.

Just as the two noticed their presence and were about to walk towards them, hurried footsteps echoed in the huge room, anticipating them.

It was a handsome, olive-skinned young man, taller than Zelgadiss but shorter than Gourry, wearing his raven-black hair into a tight braid reaching his waist. Bare chested, he was wearing only a purple-red cloak upon his soft leather trousers and shoes, and the only ornament he had besides a black sheathed sword were some simple white symbols painted on his cheeks and forehead. His face was stern looking, but his eyes were glinting anxiously as they fixed themselves on Amelia: as soon as he had reached her, he grabbed her hands and exclaimed concernedly, not bothering about Lina:

"Lulu! I mean...Princess Amelia! What's happened to you? You certainly do not look at your best!"

Lulu? Lina opened her mouth wide, then remembered and gasped. That could only be the Prince of Karirand! No, that was absurd! What could he be doing there? But if it was so, that would be the finishing stroke for Amelia! She eagerly glanced at her, and from her paleness and her quivering lips she deduced she was right.

"On...on the contrary, I'm very well, thank you", the Princess managed to stammer, freeing herself from his hold.

Lina felt it was time to intervene, when another man flung himself at Amelia's feet, took her hand and kissed it, and then excitedly cried:

"Why, you must be Princess Amelia! Hanta, my friend and master, has praised you so highly I composed a song in your honour. Let me play it for you!"

He quickly took off the beautiful and precious looking harp tied up loosely to his shoulder, and seemed seriously to be about to do what he had said, when the Prince kindly but firmly stopped him:

"Not now, Zyodan"; then, looking at Lina for the first time, he thus addressed her:

"You must be a friend of the Princess". Pleased to meet you. My name is Hanta Isamasi, and I'm prince of Karirand, while this is my friend Zyodan Kasyu, a jester and prentice bard".

Lina shot a disdainful glance to the tall, slim companion of the Prince, and especially to his light blue jacket and trousers, badly patched up near elbows and knees. Decidedly he was not a beauty; his features were rather common, and although his eyes had a peculiar dark blue hue, they could not compensate the sloppy impression given by his messy, dull black hair. Altogether, he was definitely not a striking presence.

Taken aback by her persistent and rather scary stare, the bard made an embarrassed face which reminded Lina she was supposed to answer the Prince something.

Before she was able to pronounce a single word, however, Zelgadiss' soft and profound voice replied for her:

"Instead you're talking to Lina Inverse, the most talented sorceress in the world, or so she claims to be".

As she returned his slight smile, Lina good-humouredly replied:

"And you know very well am!"

They gave each other a happy, welcoming look and would probably have started talking when Prince Hanta brusquely said:

"Graywords, I was not speaking to you!".

"You cannot stand my knowing more than you do, can you?", Zelgadiss sharply retorted. The hostility they felt towards each other was evident from the pulsing veins in their necks and the defiant glares they exchanged; yet, just Lina feared the worst and Gourry and Zyodan prepared to intervene, Zelgadiss decided to ignore the fact that the other had already put hand to his sword, and turned to the white and helpless Amelia, reproaching her rather rudely: "Where have you been, Amelia? Your father is worrying to death about you! He could not be brought back to reason until we three agreed to search for you!".

The Princess angrily turned her face to the right so as to avoid his gaze, then coldly answered:

"There was no need for you to undergo such trouble. I know very well how to take care of myself".

"Do not listen to him, Lu...Princess Amelia! We were all very anxious for your fate!", cried Hanta, glancing furiously at Zelgadiss, who didn't at all lose his cool and just watched thoughtfully at the Princess.

"Now, everybody!", Lina exploded, finally managing to make herself heard. 'this is not the time nor the place to argue over personal matters! Just in case you did not know, this is a respectable castle and we are here to discuss upon important business!"

Both the Prince and the jester stared at her, wondering, but Amelia, making an effort to keep calm, confirmed:

"Lina's right. The Duke is in danger, and our duty is to help him. Come on, Gourry, let's go and see when he can receive us". She grabbed his arm and dragged him to the staircase. Gourry, who hadn't understood anything of what had passed among Zelgadiss, Amelia and those two whose name he could not remember, and who found the Princess' behaviour rather strange, didn't fail to notice her eyes were shining, and he consequently followed her without making any comment, sure that Lina would not disapprove; the Prince and Zyodan quickly caught up with them, and began asking questions, while Zelgadiss and Lina stayed behind.

As soon as everybody's back was turned, Lina punched her friend's head, hurt her hand quite a lot, but disregarded the pain and rebuked him:

"Zel! Couldn't you have been kinder to Amelia? You could see she is in a poor state, and heart-broken because of you!"

"Because of me!", he ironically replied. "She found herself a new lover!"

"She did not! You do not know..."

"I do. Philionel was shattered, and in his discomfort he told me all he knew. The rest I found out from that Hanta".

"Then you should..."

"Listen, Lina, there's no need for you to meddle in my private affairs, OK? Besides, you yourself said there was business to be spoken of!"

Lina saw her chimera friend wasn't exactly in his best mood, and yielded to his will, wishing to have his advice on the problem that interested her most: the presumed trap.

She started relating the facts to him, but he immediately stopped her:

"Gourry already told me".

She couldn't help wondering what could Gourry have told him, but realised it would spare time to believe he had reported everything correctly, and so she asked:

"Then, what do you think about it?"

"I can hardly tell. I do have got a queer feeling about this place, but I'm sure it's not a magical field, nor negative energy. Definitely not the Mazoku's. Therefore I have no idea what that scream could be".

"That's just the same impression I had", she replied, half-distractedly. So Gourry HAD really referred to him what was needed! That was astonishing!

"I thought your magic was not at its best?", Zelgadiss enquired, curving his lips into an odd, little smile.

"Oh, don't believe that stupid!", she screamed, piqued and deceived for having for a moment considered Gourry trustworthy in such matters as story-telling. Suddenly, a thought struck her:

"But if you did not come for the meeting, then..."

"We knew nothing about it. Simply, we were at Stow when we got this message from the Duke saying that he had heard we were looking for Amelia and telling us she was coming here".

"And so you pursued her", Lina concluded, examining broodingly the golden envelope Zelgadiss had produced and remarking it was exactly the same as hers.

"So at present we can do nothing", she regretfully admitted. "But we'd better be on the alert!"

He agreed with her, and as the others were already upstairs, they hurried after them. They were not half way through the staircase that they heard muffled cries coming from the courtyard, followed by a loud yell:

"Aargh!"

They turned just in time to see somebody fly all the room long and crash ruinously on the face at the feet of the stairs.

Neither the faint light nor the distance prevented Lina from recognising the pale green curls, the black cloak and the ridiculous epaulets:

"Martina", Lina exclaimed, her voice expressing both bewilderment and displeasure at this discovery.

"Darling!"

Another well known, green clad figure ran into the hall, and rushed to help the moaning girl, who was weakly trying to get up.

"Zangulus!", a horrified Gourry stammered, vainly trying to hide himself behind Amelia and the two other men, who had followed him when he had hastened back at hearing all that animation. Softly holding his bride's shoulders as he lifted her up, the eye not hidden by his forelock glinting with interest under the large brim of his hat, he surprisedly replied:

"Gourry!"

"You too here, Lina!", Martina babbled between her aching teeth.

"Aren't you happy to see each other again after two years?", a pleased, soothing, self-confident captain put in, entering the room from the courtyard at a distinguished pace.

"You bastard!", Zangulus cried, unsheathing his Howling Sword. "What was the use of kicking her so? It was me you were fighting with!"

He hurled himself at him, but the agile adversary evaded each blow with no difficulty, not even caring to draw his own weapon.

"If I were you, I would take more care of the only magic sword you will have in the hard task that awaits you".

"What the hell are you talking about?", Zangulus hissed, not giving up.

"I mean that your friend up there hasn't got his Sword of Light any more".

"What???!!!"

Taking advantage of his distraction, the captain swiftly crouched and kicked his shin-bones hard, making him fall flat and groaning on the floor while the Howling Sword landed gently in the military man's stretched hand.

"It would be wiser if you didn't do that", he smilingly told every other man in the hall who had put hand to his sword or prepared to fight.

Suddenly everybody cried in dismay, finding out they could not move a muscle of their body.

"See? You should have listened to me", he reproached gently. "And let me tell you it's perfectly useless you try magic, because you can't use any here", he added looking at Zelgadiss, green with unconcealed anger.

"Captain! I demand an immediate explanation!", shrieked Lina, who was as furious as her friend, if not more for being fooled out by his handsome appearance and respectful uniform.

"Oh, Miss Inverse!", he looked up at her with plain admiration and slight regret.

"I'm sorry to say it, but it's all your fault. You shouldn't have come two days earlier. It obliged us to collect all your companions at the fastest speed. you shall need each one of them, but these two", he indicated Martina and Zangulus, "didn't want to co-operate".

"What...", Lina started to sneer, when the Princess of Zoana squeaked in a fury:

"Then you were the one behind it, Lina! I shall never forgive you for this! I had just found a rich man willing to finance the reconstruction of my beautiful castle, when that boorish there transported us here, before I was able to conclude the deal! I will make you pay for it!"

They started squabbling with one another, when suddenly the Prince of Karirand cried:

"Stop it!"

Neither he nor Zyodan at his side had the faintest idea of what was going on, but an abuse had been personally made to him - there was nothing he hated more than being obliged to inactivity - and apparently another had been inflicted to that couple. It was unbearable.

"Listen, you crook down there! What you have done and are doing now has not been inspired to you by the Spirit of Justice! I warn you: stop treading the path of Evil, otherwise..."

"...the sword of Justice will loosen its devastating anger on you and you will have to make amends for all the wrongs you committed!", Amelia ended enthusiastically, as she had been used to in the time they had spent together.

"That's right! Well done, master! Well done, Princess!", the jester approvingly exclaimed. Hanta and Amelia appeared quite satisfied of themselves, but the look they exchanged was full of sorrow: what a better impression they could have made if they hadn't been rooted to the spot!

"Ah!", each of them thought, "What a pity we could not raise the name of Justice as high as it deserves!"

Although they could not witness the emotions showing on their elated faces as they could not even turn their heads, everybody else in the room made an embarrassed and rather depressed expression.

There was an exception, though. The captain, who had watched the performance gawping and gaping, all of a sudden roared with laughter.

He had a sonorous, cheerful, honest laugh that made Lina wonder about his true identity. If his conduct had been rather alike to a Mazoku's, this feature was strikingly different. No Mazoku could ever have such a laugh, and judging from Zelgadiss" glance she saw he was of the same opinion.

"It's years I haven't met with such funny people!", he giggled while tears came down on his cheeks, totally uncaring of the fact that they were all staring at him, this time not only because they were obliged to.

All at once, as unexpectedly as he had begun, he ceased, his ears as stretched as a cat's; then he bade a pointlessly reluctant Zangulus get up and made him move from the entrance. "Listen!", he needlessly ordered everybody.

Light, hesitant footsteps could be heard in the distance. They stopped; they advanced again, and as a shape began to emerge from the dimness, a gentle female voice called:

"Excuse me! Is there anybody in? I'm sorry to enter the castle without permission, but I found nobody at the drawbridge, and it's raining so heavily..."

Lina's face went white and her heart sank.

No! It could not be! Not her! Not now that..

Yet her voice was unmistakable, and so she was the only one not surprised when Sylpheel Nels Rada made her appearance in the great hall.

Despite what she had said, she was not wet, meaning that at least her magic was still working; but she seemed totally unaware of the spell that was blocking everybody.

Her beautiful face became as luminous as the sun; her eyes widened with joy and her hands clasped in delight while she exclaimed, looking upwards:

"Gourry!"

She laughed merrily as she ran upstairs, overtaking the unnoticed Lina and Zelgadiss and, not giving even a look to Amelia and the two other men, she flung her arms around Gourry's chest, embracing him warmly.

"Sylpheel!", he cried, both surprised and worried.

"Sylpheel!", yelled Lina, who could well imagine the romantic scene she could not see. "Use your magic, quick!"

"What?", the girl asked, as if waking from a marvellous dream. "Lina, was that you? Ah!", she tittered lovably, though rather embarrassedly. "I'm sorry, Lina, but I cannot move! What was it you wanted me to do?"

"Aargh!", Lina screamed, furious. How could she possibly be...like that!

"Sylpheel! What are you doing here?", Amelia asked rather concernedly.

"Amelia! You too! I hadn't seen you!"

"There are also Zelgadiss, Martina and Zangulus, if it's for that", the Princess replied sharply, taken aback by her absolute calm and especially by the contentment with which she held Gourry. Hadn't she given up?, she thought.

"Really? Where are they? Ouch!", she screamed, hurting herself while trying to turn her head.

"Don't, Sylpheel! There's a spell upon us, we're stuck! Are you all right?", Gourry anxiously enquired.

"Yes, Gourry dear! It was nothing!"

She smiled, looking up at him. Amelia frowned, and trying to interrupt her loving glance, she said:

"The other ones are Hanta, the Prince of Karirand, and his friend Zyodan, a bard, I think".

"If I were!", the consulted youth replied. "I'm afraid I'm only a prentice, and at present a jester by profession. Pleased to meet you, miss!"

The girl had seemed a good fairy to him while she was moving as lightly as a butterfly, and he wished he could give her a better look. Unfortunately, her face was bet on the other side and the only thing he could see was her long, black, silk hair.

"How do you do, Miss?", Hanta too politely answered, though secretly grumbling about the fact that she had placed herself in such a way that he could not see Amelia as well as he did.

"Pleased to meet you, sirs. I'm Sylpheel Nels Rada".

"Sylpheel! You didn't answer Amelia! What are you doing here?", Gourry pressed her.

"The Duke sent me a letter in which he requested my help. Oh, Gourry! Had I known you would be coming as well, I wouldn't have hesitated so much in accepting!"

"Stop it! Stop it!", Martina's high voice pierced their ears. "You're driving me crazy!"

All the reply the captain gave her was an even louder laugh.

"Lina! What's happening?", Sylpheel asked, as her position prevented her from seeing much.

"He's laughing at you, if you hadn't remarked it", Lina bitterly replied. The situation was too much depressing for her taste. Unable to use her magic, unable to move, unable even to think of a rational explanation for what was happening, and, as if all this was not enough, she was in the hands of an idiot who, after fooling her pretty well, was splitting his sides with laughter. The only thing that comforted her was Zelgadiss" face, even more resentful than her own one.

Probably he's saying to himself that he looks like a fool, Lina realised. Well, Zel, we all do! , she told him in her heart.

The extremely amused captain seemed to eventually calm himself a little. He glanced at Amelia and the Prince, then at Sylpheel and Gourry, quickly stifled the giggle that was coming again to his lips, and finally considered:

"Well, it seems there's only one missing! But I guess the other one upstairs doesn't feel like waiting any more. He's gone through a bad week, and I guess some familiar countenances will cheer him up. Let's go!", he ordered.

Despite their noisy complaints, their bodies turned and moved at his bidding, like a bunch of marionettes does when the puppeteer wants them to.

The captain caught up with Lina, and as she saw red at the sight of Gourry clumsily advancing with Sylpheel tied up to his chest, she exclaimed in a dramatic tone:

"Captain! I deserve an explanation! Who are you, really?"

"Who am I?", he repeated with a charming smile that would have melted her heart in any situation but the present one. "It depends. Sometimes I can be a respected captain", he began, waving his hand along with his body. 'sometimes...". He seemed to flicker, and what Lina now beheld made her gasp. "...an impertinent attendant", he continued in Oscar's shoes and voice.

"Or even a misused maid", he ended assuming the aspect of the maidservant who had accompanied Amelia and her to the dressing room.

"But actually", he explained in a pleasing tone, "I am this ".

The outlines of his figure became less neat, and his whole self fainter and fainter. If Lina had been able to act freely, she couldn't have resisted the urge of grabbing him: now only his steady smile was visible, and a moment later he had disappeared, melted into the air.

Lina, Zelgadiss, Martina and Zangulus, the only ones who weren't giving their back to him, breathed hard, not believing their eyes. Zangulus in particular was angering over the floating Howling Sword: could it be possible he was just letting them go? They wanted to scream, to let the others know about it, but found out they had no voice. Lina, whose first reaction had been to check her powers, realised that not only they weren't back, but that there was now a spell on her tongue as well.

"Now, good people", the captain's voice said, "we do not want to upset the other ones, do we? They would not believe it, as they didn't see me. If you told them I vanished, they would take me for a Mazoku, and that would be rather offensive".

Lina exchanged looks with Zelgadiss, and they agreed this was not Mazoku's business. Mazoku did not disappear that way, and besides there had never been any negative energy in that castle.

"Oh, good!", rejoiced the voice coming from nowhere, as if reading their minds. "Finally you begin to understand. There's nothing really to worry about, Miss Inverse. Of course I cannot let you go, but I won't allow you to be hurt. That's a promise, and if you agree not to call the other ones, I'll unbind your tongue. OK?"

There was nothing else she could do, and besides Lina sensed she could trust that voice. It smelt of an old, warm past kissed by the sun, and it altogether gave her a pleasant, welcoming feeling. She bowed her head the little she could, signalling she consented to his pact, and as her tongue was able to move again, the voice murmured in her ear:

"Well done, Miss Inverse! That's exactly me! You are really great to realise that without your magic powers!"

Even though she did not grasp the full meaning of his words, it seemed to her she vaguely understood. She wanted to ask him another question, but suddenly saw she had reached the top of the long staircase, that all the others were behind her, aligned like soldiers, and that before her stood the great closed door Gourry and her had commented upon when first seeing it. Now its wings opened by themselves, and everybody was drawn inside.


As soon as the door shut loudly behind them, they realised with relief they had now freedom of movement, even though magic was still unusable. Gourry, Zelgadiss and Hanta drew their swords, while Zangulus took a leap to catch his own suspended one; nobody spoke, as they all felt something in the air.

Yet, despite their senses were on the alert, it was difficult to perceive something, especially as the room was completely empty and twice as big as the hall, and the large stained glass windows didn't allow much of the already lacking outside light to pass.

They started to explore anyhow, each one in a different direction, when suddenly Amelia said: "Have you heard that?"

Although she had whispered, her voice re-echoed, allowing everybody to listen to her comment.

"Heard what?", Gourry asked.

"Hush!", Lina cried. She had been trying to understand whether the captain, or whatever he was, was still around, not succeeding at all; but now that Amelia had remarked it, she too noticed there was a noise coming from the farthest end of the room.

Everybody stood still: a barely audible voice moaned long, then was silent again. They drew closer to one another, and, Lina at the front of the group, they advanced in the direction of the sound.

A sudden lightning brightened the room, followed by a booming thunder that covered their cries of horror.

To the wall opposite the entrance door, there was chained a man, his arms and legs stretched apart.

"A light! Make a light! ", screamed Lina who, though knowing nobody was able to meet with her wish, felt the impelling desire to be proved wrong.

She refused to believe she had seen what she had seen. Who in the world could do such a thing to him , and get away with it? She would not accept any of the names that came to her mind. It would mean her intuition had failed her completely, and it was too dreadful a possibility for her to bear. Yet...Blinding was the sudden light; once they were able to see again, they did not bother to understand who had made it: before them was an awful sight.

The man's bare arms had evidently been skinned, revealing the light red flesh and muscles underneath; his naked chest bore the marks of severe burns, some two or three days old, some clearly recent; his trousers were all torn and ripped apart, displaying several long and twisting cuts, probably work of a whip; a deep wound split his abdomen into two parts, and a dark red, almost black clot had formed upon it.

But undoubtedly the most pitiful spectacle was the reclined head, resembling anything but a face: the cheeks were badly scarred, the lips swollen, the eyes black, the ears ragged, the dark bobbed air smeared.

With the exception of Lina, it took those who knew him some minutes to notice that above him was nailed was nailed a staff with a red jewel on its top: only then were they able to recognise him.

"Xelloss!", Martina cried.

Another whimper escaped him, but then his eyes and mouth opened a little and he murmured:

"Lina! So you've come at last!"

This made her forget her fear for the torturer: she unsheathed her sword and tried in vain to break the chains that held him.

"What are you all doing there, stock still? Come and help me free him!", she screamed to her motionless companions. They finally reacted, but a voice then spoke:

"Free him, indeed! It's a great claim! That Mazoku has done nothing but insulting me ever since he first stepped here!"

The metallic, bitter and scornful sound of the words chilled their hearts: the freezing cold tone could not but belong to an unearthly creature. Perceiving the great power she had expected, Lina feebly asked Xelloss:

"What has he done to you?"

Despite his weakness, he tried to answer her ironically:

"Oh, the guy is an experienced pervert!"

She recognised the piercing wail he let out: the same inhuman cry that had terrified Gourry and her not so long ago.

As his head dropped on his chest, the wicked voice said:

"See?"

A dreary silence followed. While Lina tried to make Xelloss regain consciousness, Zelgadiss, Gourry, Hanta and Amelia combatively searched for the source of the voice; Zyodan and Zangulus instead stood next to the sobbing Sylpheel and Martina, panic-stricken.

"Are you satisfied now, Mirai? You've scared them stiff!", snorted a voice, which was unmistakably the captain's.

Lina looked up in relief. So he had not gone away, after all! She knew he was trustworthy!

"He deserved it, Kako!", abruptly replied the other one.

"Please forgive him, sirs. He's not been well recently. Well, never mind what has been, Mirai, but let him go now, OK? Show your superiority to Miss Inverse!"

The chains vanished all of a sudden, and Xelloss fell into Lina's arms: his weight made her stagger, but Gourry and Zelgadiss supported her, as did Hanta with Amelia, who had caught the Trickster Priest's heavy staff.

They laid him on the ground as carefully as they could, and while they all surrounded him, Zelgadiss declared:

"His life force is too weak. He will die, if we do not do anything".

Despite the old grudge he bore him, even Zelgadiss pitied his condition: that was a state he himself wanted to bring him to, and he did not wish anybody else to do it before him.

"But what can we do, if we cannot use magic...because of them!", Amelia worriedly exclaimed while waving her hand all around her.

"If only we could locate them!", Zangulus hissed, patting the hilt of his sword.

"Oh, if that's the problem, I have located them", Sylpheel gently asserted, her face still pale with fear.

"What???!!!"

They all stared at her, and she blushed a little.

"Then tell us: where are they?", cried Gourry.

"Around us", she replied earnestly.

"Sylpheel!", Lina barked, as if ready to bite her.

"No, Lina, you do not understand!", the girl quickly explained in an apologetic tone. "Haven't you noticed that this room is never really silent? There's always a soft humming, now as pleasant as a bee's, now annoying like a mosquito's. It's difficult to hear it, because once you've got used to it you don't notice it any more, but I'm sure that is their real essence! The voices around us!"

Despite her serious expression, they all gawped at her, and the prentice bard even said:

"Miss! You're a born jester! To be able to joke in such a situation!"

Prince Hanta reprimanded him severely:

"Zyodan! You're speaking to a young lady!"

Kako's voice roared with laughter, and this time even Martina enjoyed the sound and was disappointed when it stopped.

"An excellent guess, Miss! Now I see why Mirai pointed you out as one of the Chosen Ones! Don't you think too she deserves a prize for realising the truth, Mirai?"

"Wasn't freeing the Mazoku enough?", the other voice coldly retorted.

"But that was a special gift for Miss Inverse!"

"Do as you please ", an annoyed Mirai give in.

"Thank you! Now, little Miss, as a reward for discovering our true nature I will allow you to cast one spell. Just one, mind you, and be quick, if you can, because time is running short". Sylpheel held her breath as she exchanged amazed gazes with the others.

"Is it...?", she wondered.

"No. He's serious", Lina answered her unasked question.

"Are you sure, Lina?", Zelgadiss eagerly asked.

"I am".

Zyodan and Hanta felt rather cut off as the others meaningfully looked at each other; for example, they hadn't even understood why they had helped somebody who apparently was a Mazoku, an evil being who had devoted his life to going against Justice, but they let it pass on grounds that the other ones had evidently known each other for longer and seemed to get better what was going on.

Eventually Martina said:

"If you tried the Dragon Slave, like you did the other time..."

"Do you really think it would hurt them at all? Remember that they were so powerful as to beat Xelloss", Lina sharply remarked.

It was plain to her the captain - or whatever he was called - was giving them a chance, but a chance to do what, and why?

If he had wanted to test their strength, for example, he would have given that opportunity to her, not to Sylpheel; she was certainly about this. No; as improbable as the idea seemed to her, Lina began to believe it was their loyalty towards each other that he wanted to try. They had expressed the wish they could heal Xelloss, and a spell had been granted. Surely he knew about Sylpheel's ability to cast a Dragon Slave when really needed; after all, he had known about Gourry's Hikari no Ken. In spite of this, he had given the girl this occasion.

"Cast Resurrection!", she told her.

"But Lina!", Martina rebelled. "It might be the only chance to get away from this crazy couple!"

"No!", Zelgadiss denied. "Lina's right. They wouldn't certainly allow Sylpheel the power to destroy her, would they?"

"Yes!", Amelia agreed. 'resurrection is the right choice. We will set poor Xelloss to on his feet again! Even a Mazoku deserves help at times!"

"Please Sylpheel", Gourry gently pleaded. "I haven't understood much, but I'm sure they're right; Cast that spell!"

Sylpheel nodded, but then hesitantly asked:

"But will such a spell work on a Mazoku?"

"It will", Lina assured her. It had to, she said in her heart, and besides she felt sure the captain...Kako wouldn't have prepared such a scene if it weren't possible. Why did she trust him so much?, she asked herself.

She did not know; but intuition told her she did well, and it had never led her to the wrong path.

Sylpheel began her chant, and when she shouted: "Resurrection!", a huge of sphere of light surrounded her and the still body of the Trickster Priest.

Some moments later, he was thoughtfully blinking his amethyst eyes again, fully healed, while the exhausted Sylpheel fell into Gourry's arms.

"Sylpheel!", Gourry worriedly called her.

"Sylpheel! Are you all right?", Zelgadiss cried.

"I...I am all right, thank you. It's only that..."

"What?", Amelia wanted to know.

"I feel rather strange. As if the power I used were not mine".

Zelgadiss and Lina exchanged an uneasy look, when Xelloss, his right hand caressing his head, asked:

"Will anybody explain to me what's happened?"

The question was so unlike him they all smiled a little, then Martina said:

"Sylpheel just resurrected you. I mean, she cast Resurrection on you"

"Who did what???!!!", he squeaked, giving a horrified look to his own body.

Lina punched him.

"Ouch! Lina!", he resentfully moaned.

"She's just saved your life! You owe her many thanks! There she is, remember her?", she directed his look towards the girl, still laying in Gourry's arms.

He grimaced, not at all convinced and altogether wondering; but he seemed to enjoy the scene, and grinned more fully, exclaiming:

"Why to be sure I remember her! She fought with you against Phibrizo, right? I am in debt with you, Miss", he smiled charmingly, though rather mischievously.

Sylpheel made an embarrassed face, and pressed herself against Gourry's chest, as if wishing to shield herself from his gaze.

"Oh, it's nothing", she quickly stammered. "I did what anybody else would have done in my place".

The Trickster Priest replied something, but Lina did not hear as a well known voice laughed in her ear.

"Extremely diverting, don't you think so? You did well, Miss Inverse", he added in a more serious, praising tone.

Lina wished to stop him and ask him the many questions she had in her heart, but the pleased and pleasing humming was already gone, and now he said loud:

"Oh! It seems the missing guest has finally arrived!"

Everybody turned in the direction of sound, just as a circle of light made its appearance on the floor: inside it were counsellor Usotuki and tall, white dressed blonde, holding protectively a green haired baby.

Many gasped in wonder, as only Lina and Gourry knew all the three of them, but none had the time to utter anything as the girl angrily screamed at the mentor:

"You want to do what to Val and me? Wait and see!"

She opened her mouth wide, ready to shoot at him; and so she stood, stuck.

"Philia!", Lina, Gourry, Zelgadiss and Amelia sighed heavily, while Xelloss looked rather displeased and all the others stood wondering.

"Lina, who are they?", asked a curious Sylpheel.

"Yhe man is one of them, one of the voices", Lina replied. So it was him who had played the other roles, she guessed, and continued: "Instead, the girl is a Ryuzoku, and the baby is...well, let's say he's her adopted son"

"What! A dragon!", cried in dismay Martina, Zangulus, Prince Hanta and Zyodan.

They were interrupted by a furious metallic growl.

"Ima!", Mirai's freezing voice barked. "What came into your head? Who told you to bring that pestilential kid as well?"

Counsellor Usotuki quivered, then became less and less definite to eventually disappear, under Xelloss" widened eyes; but it was Kako who spoke next, sweetly mocking:

"Oh, don't mind him, Ima! You know he is allergic to youth!"

"To youth or to this particular baby?", Baka Usotuki's wily and ugly voice replied. "It's true he looks dangerous even now, but I could not help it. When I stated my intention of picking that Ryuzoku up, I was assaulted by a crazy fox, who started throwing bombs at me. It took me a while to block him, and once I had caught up with the fleeing girl, she refused to leave the baby. So, to spare time, I had to transfer both of them".

The metallic hiss that followed was hushed by an easy-going:

"Never mind! Everybody's here now, so shall we begin?"

The three started talking at the same time and the humming became unbearable, obliging Lina and her companions to close their ears; When Zyodan dared to remove his hands and showed it was possible to do so, they realised Ima's monotonous voice was thus concluding;

"...therefore you can see why it is necessary for you to take action and as swiftly as possible".

Everybody made an embarrassed face; only Philia did not react, for obvious reasons.

"Now, listen to me!"; Lina screamed. "I will not hear of taking action, unless you speak about my remuneration first!"

The others" faces fell. How could she possibly think of money in such a situation? Ima's wearisome buzz responded:

"Isn't the salvation of this world and of your lives a worthy reward in your eyes?"

They all stared, then Martina croaked:

"What did you say?"

"I told you. The world as you know it is doomed to end, if you do not re-unite the Two Halves!"

Xelloss" ears were as stretched as a cat's. The Two Halves? Could he refer to...?No, it was not possible! How could that entity know about them? And above all, how did it dare speaking in front of common human beings of matters which only the High Mazoku were acquainted with? He had to stop it!

"You're talking rubbish! One Half was lost centuries ago, before the Kouma war!"

Mirai's tone was jeering when he replied:

"You didn't really expect us and our brother to do nothing while your kindred planned carefully how to take control of this world, did you?"

Kako's voice gently added:

"The Lost Half was found, and is already at work".

The clenched teeth clearly showed Xellosss irritation, but he kept quiet, not wishing to be beaten again. After all, he was gathering important news.

"But unfortunately...", the expressionless Ima began.

"...war is close, and time is running really short", Kako ended.

"Excuse me if I interrupt you", Gourry smiled raising his hand. "But I haven't at all understood what it is you want us to do!"

For once in her life, Lina was really happy he had asked his usual question. What were the voices talking about, and how were the Mazoku concerned?

"Oh, it's very simple!", kind Kako maintained. " Your task is to put the Two Halves together and help them fulfilling their duty".

"Otherwise...", threatened Ima.

"...your world will be destroyed", Mirai thus froze their blood.

Zelgadiss' thin and mocking laugh echoed in the empty room.

"Lost Halves, wars, destruction, mysterious duties...Who do you take us for? We will not believe a single word unless you show us some proofs!"

"I agree!", Zyodan needlessly affirmed, forgetting he was supposed never to side with his master's rival.

"But we already told you what we could!", Kako protested. "Oh, the Ryuzoku wishes to say something. you may speak, little one!"

Philia panted, and as she could not still move to face her friends, Xelloss, and whoever else the unknown voices belonged to, she said in the most convincing tone she could use:

"They are right, unfortunately! Lina, Gourry, Zelgadiss: whatever else they said, the world is again in great danger! I've dreamt about its destruction several times!"

"Stop it!", Martina yelled, furious. "Listen, you bunch of fools! I already risked my life once, and do not mean to do it again! If you want to embark on one of those queer, dark undertakings of yours, you're free to do it, but keep me and my husband out of this! We're a happy couple, and do not want troubles of any sort!"

"Martina!", Xelloss teased her. "Where has your taste for adventure gone?"

"We never sought adventure for the mere sake of it!", Zangulus backed her up." There was always a reason for our actions. Instead, what these...entities are asking us to do is to blindly entrust our lives to them, so that they may use them how they please. Well, I can assure you I am not going to be a puppet in their hands!"

"You do not understand!", Philia grievously interjected. "If we do not take an active part, not only our lives, but the whole world will end!"

"Philia's right!", Amelia exclaimed." We mustn't be selfish! We must do what is right for everybody's safety!"

"Yes! The wish these spirits expressed to save the world is clearly dictated by their love for Justice, and therefore there's nothing wrong if we do as they bid us!"

Mirai's chilling, derisive guffaw was heard.

"Justice! We care not in the least for justice! We care not in the least even for this world's doom! The only thing that interests us is revenge, and we shall have it!"

Everybody stood aghast. Only Xelloss smiled as usual: this business was taking a really interesting turn. Those voices weren't after all as different from the Mazoku as they claimed to be when he had first met them: they might even become a powerful ally...why not?

Eventually Lina seriously said:

"Listen to me! I think my companions will all agree with me if I say that, on the basis of what you've told us, none of us can accept your proposal. It is clear you're hiding us something important, and we will not do anything at all unless you reveal to us all you know!"

Her speech met with an industrious humming, then Ima asked:

"Was that a refusal?", to which Kako responded:

"Oh, no! It was just postponing their acceptance".

"I knew they would not do as we've advised them. They are too dull. They would need a lesson", Mirai sharply commented.

"Mirai!", Kako rebuked him. "Don't forget that the last one who tried anything against Miss Inverse got severely battered!"

The buzz became loud once again, then Kako thus apologised:

"I'm sorry, Miss Inverse. If it were for me, I would tell you all you want to know, but Mirai here thinks what we already said is enough for now. Therefore..."

"...we will oblige you to undertake this mission", Ima flatly said. Before anybody could react, a silver circle formed itself on the back of the left hand of each of them.

"Search for the Lost Half", Mirai coldly ordered.

"We will give you a compass to help you!", Kako tried to cheer them up.

"Once you've find it, reconcile it with the other Half and help the Two in their mission", Ima concluded, not caring about their noisy complaints or sneers.

"Just in case you hadn't realised it", Mirai freezingly hissed, " The mark we've put on you will oblige you to do exactly as we told you. It's useless you try and go away once you're far from us. It would not do you good".

"And to avoid discussions, let's make it clear Miss Inverse will be your chief until you find the Lost Half!", Kako said as flattering as she could, but she just yelled:

"I do not work for free!"

But her voice was lost: a flash of light, and they were no more there.

The busy humming too soon abandoned the room, which returned dark and silent.


Chapter 2   |   Fanfiction