Part 1


Lina glanced warily behind her shoulder. Those guys were still following her. She wasn't necessarily scared just plain out annoyed. Why couldn't they just go away? If it weren't for the fact it was 'That-Time-of-the-month' she would of fireballed them moments ago without hesitation.

I wish Gourry were here with me. But he couldn't be. That was that. She was going into this town to search for the perfect game for his birthday tonight. They would never of known it was his birthday had it not been for the fact that Sylphiel promptly reminded them one day before it. Talk about horrible timing. They all had decided to throw a small party for him but Lina was left in charge with getting the entertainment.

And it wasn't going to be something boring. She ran through her mind what qualities it would need to actually gain the attention of everyone in that group. Mystery for Zelgadis, something girl enough for Sylphiel, something adventurous for Gourry and something sexy to keep the unlasting attention span of Martina.

Hmm... Not easy.

She was starting to get annoyed with the two men behind her who were dressed obviously like bandits. Problem was that if she were thrown into a corner she wouldn't have much escape. As she rounded the next corner she decided to sprint and rounded another corner flattening her back to the wall.

I shouldn't of come here! I knew this part of town was bad but I didn't know it gotten THIS bad! Her mind raced.

There was no one on this street in fact most the shops were boarded up and closed. She looked at the wall and noticed that a mural was painted on the entire wall that was thirty feet long and two stories high.

Lina's eyes focused on the mural and her frantic mind caught sight of a door. Was it real? She ran over to it and reached out to it. Her hand came to the knob, which was very cool in her palm and turned it.

To her surprise it opened and she ran in closed the door behind her and bolted it shut. She turned around to find herself in a weird little shop and on the counter a small sign read 'Welcome to More Games'.

The oddest games were displayed and shelves upon shelves were every where in neat rows holding many exotic unknown games. As her eyes scanned the games she brushed back her hair which had fallen in her face. Her hair was up in a tight ponytail and was braided. She was wearing jeans and a loose purple shirt. Her ruby like eyes sparkled with curiousness and relief.

She tried reading what the second sign said which was posted on one of the shelves.

W E L C
O M E T
O M Y W
O R L D

Her searching gaze was cut off as a man came out through another door, her breath caught in her throat and her mind and body froze.

The man who stepped out had a lean body, clad in black jeans and a loose black shirt, his hair was straight and shoulder length a deep purple, his bangs hid his eyes and his skin was very light colored. He was breathtakingly handsome. Never before had Lina ever reacted like this to any man. Never.

"May I help you miss?" his voice was gentle and smooth as silk.

Lina blinked and drew up her voice praying it would not fail her as she made herself to be what she hoped was impersonal, "I'm looking for a game."

"Oh?" he stepped forward coming more into the light right up to the counter, it was then Lina realized that his eyes were closed as he was walking. Was he blind maybe?

"Yes for a party tonight..." her words faltered

"Anything in particular?" his voice was that of a person trying to make a sale now.

"Umm -- "

"How about the game Goats and Tigers? Its about the innocent little goats being hunted down by the fierce tiger..." his smile held a hint of cruelty and secrecy. "For two players"

"No I don't think so. I need a game for a group you see, something like Charades."

"I see..."

Lina looked toward the man and felt a wave of uneasiness hit her. It was definitely time to go. She didn't want to stay any longer, even if the two men were out there she was ready to face them. "Thanks but I should be going."

She gripped her shoulder bag tightly and turned when he spoke out again, "Mystery. Seduction. Adventure. Danger. Fear."

Lina's step halted as she turned to face him.

"Secrets revealed. Desires unveiled..." he opened his eyes, they were that of amethyst and held something within them made her heart speed. His eyes glued her to the spot as he pronounced the last word distinctly and with a predatory smile. "Temptation."

"What are you talking about?" she breathed.

"The game of course." He said closing his eyes turning back into a cheerful smile. "Isn't that what you would like for your friends? Something special? Something different?"

"Yes..."

"I have something like that -- " he walked into one of the aisles disappearing for a moment than returned, holding a purple box that was two feet long and one foot wide. On it were what seemed to be carved non-sense runes.

Lina stepped to it and reached forward to take the box from him. He suddenly pulled away with a thoughtful glance.

"I'm not sure I can sell this to you."

"Why not?"

"Because it's a very Un-mundane game. Maybe if you were to explain to me what it was for -- " Lina looked very un-amused but decided to play along.

"It's for my -- friends party. His name is Gourry. He's really sweet and protective and honest. And he deserves to have a good time and something special."

The man paused, "So?"

"So tonight's his birthday and we need something to do tonight."

"And if it isn't will Gourry care?"

Lina blinked, "Of course not he has the brains of a jelly fish but he also doesn't care because he is our friend. Hell even a card would suffice but I think he deserves more -- " She cut herself off as she said that. One would think she was in love with Gourry if they didn't understand he was nothing more than a brother.

He slowly handed her the box and she took it gratefully and went with him to the register. "How much?"

"We'll say ten gold."

"Alright." She forked over the coins and as he opened the drawer she noticed it held a peculiarity of coins and such. Some were copper and square shaped. Others were made of paper and green and had the faces of men on it. She took the box and headed for the door.

"See ya later."

It was only said to be polite but she could have sworn she heard him answer "At nine" but she assumed he meant, "That's fine".

When she looked back he was standing half in shadow the stained glass of a lamp throwing blue and purple stripes of color onto his hair. For a second she caught something in his eyes, which were open again -- It was a hungry look. It was like a starving tiger about to go hunting almost. The goodbye froze on her lips.

Then it was gone, whatever she had seen was gone and he turned to go through the door once more. She walked through the door and then closed it behind her, grateful for the cool wind against her skin.

Than she saw the two guys who had been following her, they began walking cross the street when all of a sudden they halted and a terrified look crossed their features and they turned and ran away. She paused but than decided to hurry up to the inn.

As she started to set her pace at a fast trot her mind briefly processed the fact that the man in the store had the most unusual eyes... If she hadn't known any better, she would of sworn they had been not only Amethyst... but silted, like a Mazoku...


Part 2   |   Fanfiction