Shocking News


That night, the whole gang was sleeping in the woods. It was Zelgadis' watch and he noticed that Lina was tossing and turning all over the ground.

Zelgadis made his way over to the disturbed sorceress and shook her gently from her sleep.

"Lina?" he said quietly.

Lina's eyes fluttered open. She gave Zelgadis a weak smile and said, "Hey."

"Is there something wrong? You were moving around a whole lot in your sleep," said Zelgadis with concern smearing his voice.

"I guess I ate something that was unsettling," said Lina as she rose up to a sitting position.

"Or is it from the fact that you eat too much in general?" Zelgadis smirked at her.

Lina narrowed her eyes at him and said, "What would you like? A Dil Brando or a Mega Brando? It's your choice."

Zelgadis winced at his unwise choice of words and said, "You wouldn't want to wake up Amelia, Gourry, Sylphiel, and Xellos to have them pissed off at you?"

"You're just trying to get out of it," Lina growled lowly.

"Yes, but what I'm saying is true and does make sense. Right?" he asked, a new smirk forming on his face.

"Oh, shut up," she muttered. "Besides, when in all of the nine hells will Sylphiel ever get pissed off at anyone. The same goes for Xellos."

"Valid, but still, there's still the question of Gourry and Amelia," Zelgadis pointed out.

"You're right. I'd rather face Shabranigdo again then face them in the morning after making an explosion go off right here," Lina grimaced.

"I'm always right, Lina. You never take the time to think things through," said Zelgadis. "Now, tell me what's wrong."

Lina had to hold herself back from throwing a fireball at him for being so utterly smug to her, so she said, "I already told you. It feels like I ate something that didn't agree with my stomach. Now, if you're gonna make any more smart ass comments, I'd rather not if I were you because-"

Lina suddenly got cut off by a weird feeling in her stomach. She knew what was coming, so she gave Zelgadis a warning look.

"Move," she said in a dangerous tone. Zelgadis complied as Lina got up and ran straight for the lake nearby.

Lina lowered her head into the lake, but her face was far enough away so that it wasn't actually touching the water. At that moment, Lina threw up. She didn't know what was causing it, but she was determined to find out.

She walked back over to where Zelgadis was and said, "Zel, I need you to come with me."

Zelgadis gave her a quizzical look. "Why? Where are we going?"

"Do not question me. Just do it," she said in her dangerously low voice.

Zelgadis, knowing exactly what she was capable of, shut his mouth and did as she said. He got up off of the ground and got dragged over towards the lake.

Once they got there, Lina looked at him squarely in the face. Confusion clouded Zelgadis' mind as to what was happening.

"Zel, my time of the month should have happened yesterday and it didn't today either. Since I know I'm late, I want to check out if I can do any magic. If I can't, then there's gotta be another explanation as to why I can't, right? Well, I wanna see if you can draw any conclusions from this experiment," said Lina.

Zelgadis shrugged. "I can try, but I can't guarantee anything."

Lina nodded and cast her spell. "RAYWING!"

After she cast the spell, Zelgadis and Lina noticed that nothing had happened.

"Ok, so how do you explain this?" she asked.

"I have no idea. If you're not on your time of the month and you're late by two days, it would sound like you were pregnant, but I'm not too sure. We need to consult Sylphiel on the matter. She would know more on this kind of subject," said Zelgadis. "By the way, why did you need to go to the lake before?"

Lina blushed faintly and said, "I needed to throw up."

"Gee, thanks for sharing," Zelgadis remarked sarcastically.

Lina shrugged. "You asked for it. Anyway, you need to get some sleep because it's my turn for the watch."

"Actually, Lina. You should be the one sleeping. You need it more than I do anyway," said Zelgadis.

"If you say so," said Lina. "G'night, Zel."

"Goodnight, love," he said with a small smile.

Lina caught what he said and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek. "See you in the morning."

Zelgadis chuckled softly to himself as soon as Lina was out of earshot. He then looked up at the starry sky and continued his watch.

Day came rather quickly and Zelgadis went to awaken the group.

"Hey, you guys! Get up!" he exclaimed.

Sylphiel and Amelia were the first ones up. As usual, Xellos was nowhere to be found, but it wasn't like Zelgadis cared anyway where that fruitcake mazoku was. Next up was Gourry and the last one as usual was Lina.

"Jeez, I'm really hungry! Did anyone bring any food with them?" asked Gourry.

Everyone, minus Gourry, sweat-dropped at his utter stupidity. Suddenly, Xellos appeared before the group.

"My, my. Did I miss anything?" he asked.

"Other than Gourry's utter stupidity, no," said Lina in reply.

"Oh well," said Xellos as he sat down with the rest of the group.

"ANYWAY! I'm hungry here and I demand FOOD!" Lina bellowed.

"Can it wait? I thought that you wanted to have yourself examined by Sylphiel?" asked Zelgadis.

One of Lina's eyebrows started to twitch dangerously. "Food first, examination second."

Zelgadis sweat-dropped. "I have should have known."

"Well, Gourry dear and I can go and get some fish for all of us," said Sylphiel.

"That sounds great, Sylphiel! Hurry back!" Lina said enthusiastically with the knowledge that she was going to fill up her stomach.

Xellos walked over to Lina with an observant eye, while she looked at him curiously.

"My, my, Miss Lina. Have you gained a bit of weight in these past few days?" Xellos asked with an innocent smile.

For Lina, that did it, but suddenly remembering that she couldn't cast any magic, she decided that she should ask Zelgadis for assistance.

"Zel?" she said sweetly. Zelgadis looked at her, knew what she wanted and nodded.

Zelgadis gave Xellos a rather evil look. "FLARE ARROW!"

Once the spell dissipated, Xellos appeared from the smoke rather charred as he fell to the ground in a heap.

"That should shut you up for a while," said Lina with a smirk. Zelgadis couldn't help but smile at her smirk.

They then both waited for Gourry and Sylphiel to return. Amelia finally snapped herself out of her reverie and looked at the charred Xellos on the ground.

"Miss Lina! Must you always do that?" asked Amelia.

"Do what?" Lina asked, confused.

"That!" said Amelia as she pointed to Xellos.

"He deserved it! You should never comment on a girls weight!" Lina said defensively. "Besides, I can't use any magic right now, so I had Zel do it for me!"

Amelia didn't say anything, but mentally rolled her eyes. She knew that Lina tended to over exaggerate at times.

"You shouldn't have asked Mister Zelgadis to blow up Mister Xellos for you," Amelia scolded.

Lina rolled her eyes. "Oh please, Amelia. It's not like Zel wouldn't have wanted a crack at Xellos. He would have taken every opportunity he had in order to blow him up."

Amelia ignored her in response and Lina rolled her eyes once more.

"Whatever," muttered Lina.

Lina then noticed that Sylphiel and Gourry had returned from fishing and that they had enough food to feed twelve starving families, compliments of Gourry.

Lina's eyes began to sparkle when she saw the food. "It's CHOW TIME!"

Sylphiel and Amelia used the rest of the firewood from the night before and used it for the cooking fire. Lina was usually impatient, but for some reason, she was behaving oddly calm.

Zelgadis took note of Lina's rather peaceful expression and asked, "Is there something wrong?"

Lina blinked. "No. Why should there be?"

"You just seem rather relaxed right now. You usually never are when you're waiting for food," said Zelgadis.

"Just lay off," retorted Lina.

"I still think that you should have your examination first before you eat," said Zelgadis.

Lina sighed and said, "Fine. We'll do it your way. Happy now?"

"Ecstatic," Zelgadis said sarcastically while rolling his eyes.

Lina ignored him as they made their way over to Sylphiel. Sylphiel looked at the couple curiously.

"Yes, Mister Zelgadis, Miss Lina?" she asked.

"I was wondering if you could run an examination over Lina. We need to know why she can't cast any magic," said Zelgadis.

Sylphiel looked puzzled. "Is it that time of the month?"

Zelgadis shook his head. "I thought that's what it was at first, but in actuality, she's two days late."

Sylphiel's brow furrowed. "It sounds like she might be pregnant, but we can't know for sure until I run that examination that you asked for."

"Thank you, Sylphiel," said Zelgadis.

"No problem, Mister Zelgadis," she replied, cheerfully. "Miss Lina, could you come over here please."

Lina did as she was told and she and Sylphiel both went into a kneeling position. Sylphiel raised her arms and chanted something quietly to herself. She then exuded white light from her hands, which then covered Lina as it slowly scanned her body for abnormalities. Once the examination was through, Sylphiel looked over at Zelgadis and motioned him over.

"Mister Zelgadis, it looks like Miss Lina is in excellent health, but there is one thing that it isn't normal," said Sylphiel.

"Which is?" he asked.

Sylphiel took a very deep breath and said, "She's pregnant."

Zelgadis fainted in shock and Lina just looked at Sylphiel with an unreadable expression.

"Umm...Miss Lina?" Sylphiel asked nervously.

Lina's eyebrows began to twitch as she yelled out, "I'M WHAT!"

Sylphiel winced. "It's not like it's a bad thing, Miss Lina."

"How is it not a bad thing!" she bellowed.

"Well, you made the unborn child with the love that you and Mister Zelgadis have for each other. A child made through love is a wonderful thing," said Sylphiel.

"That may be so, but I'm not ready, Sylphiel!" she cried.

"You can have an abortion, but it's even more painful to do that than giving birth from what I've heard," said Sylphiel.

"Damn," said Lina.

"I'm sorry, Miss Lina, but that's just the way things are," said Sylphiel.

"It's ok. I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to it," said Lina.

"Guess so," agreed Sylphiel.

"Hey, Sylphiel? Wanna help me wake Zel up?" she asked with a weak smile.

Sylphiel smiled back at her and nodded. Sylphiel then performed an anti-sleep spell on Zelgadis. Once she was done, Lina and Sylphiel looked down at Zelgadis and smiled. Lina was the first to speak.

"Hi daddy!" she said quite cheerfully.

Zelgadis was about to faint again when Lina grabbed his head and looked at him sternly. "Oh, no you don't!" She then leaned forward and kissed him soundly.

Once she pulled away from the kiss, Zelgadis was fully awake. He was looking at her wide-eyed and with extreme curiosity.

"What was that for?" he asked, breathlessly.

"Because I love you and because we're gonna have a baby," said Lina as she played with the collar of his shirt.

"Are you sure you want this?" he asked.

Lina shook her head. "No, I'm not sure, but I know that I don't want an abortion and I know that I'm probably not ready for motherhood."

Zelgadis looked at her confused. "Then why?"

Lina smiled gently at him. "Because it's mine, yours, and ours. What other reason do you want?"

Zelgadis smiled back at her. "None other than that."

Lina leaned forward and kissed him again. When they broke apart, Lina said, "I've gotta warn you, though."

"About what?" he asked.

"That the baby will be due sometime around next month," she said, casually.

"WHAT?!" he exclaimed.

"Well, ever since I've been using the Giga Slave and Dragon Slave, I've pretty much sped up certain processes in my body and slowed down other ones," Lina explained.

"Perfect," Zelgadis muttered sarcastically.

Lina stuck out her tongue at him. "Oh, be quiet."

Lina looked around her and noticed that Sylphiel had left. She and Zelgadis then got up off of the ground and stood next to each other looking at the group. Lina nudged Zelgadis and he nodded.

"AHEM!" said Zelgadis.

The whole group looked at him expectedly. He then proceeded with his news.

"I have some interesting news to tell all of you," said Zelgadis. Zelgadis could feel Lina squeeze his hand in reassurance and he did the same to her.

"I just found out that Lina is pregnant with my child," he said, quickly.

The whole group fell silent. Suddenly Xellos stood up and looked directly at the couple.

"I knew it! You two did enjoy an evening romp that night at the inn!" Xellos proclaimed.

Lina's face became blood red and Zelgadis was trying his best to control his temper.

"Wow, Miss Lina is going to be a mother. Gods help us all," muttered Amelia.

"I heard that, Amelia," said Lina in a dangerously low voice.

"That poor kid is gonna have a hard life is it's gonna be raised by The Enemy Of All Living Things," said Gourry, while shaking his head.

Lina walked over to Gourry and banged him on the head with her fist and then walked over to Amelia and did the same thing.

"Would you two stop acting like I'm a walking time bomb! I'm gonna show you two that I can raise this child like a normal child and with Zel to help me, what can go wrong?" Lina asked with a shrug.

"I'm glad to see you have such confidence in me," said Zelgadis with a half smile.

Lina smiled back at him. "Anytime. ANYWAY, now that that's done with, I WANT TO EAT!"

Everyone face-faulted, but Lina ignored them and sped towards the ready to eat fish.

"Now THIS is the life!" she declared as she took a bite out of her fish.

Zelgadis shook his head, but smiled ruefully at his beloved. Lina was too engorged with her meal to notice anything else at the moment, so Zelgadis just sat there watching her eat her fish, a tender smile gracing his lips. He just basked in the serenity of being close to Lina and to his close friends. He was going to be a father as well and that was going to make everything perfect.


Notes

I guess everyone could have easily guessed what the secret was, but I thought that it was appropriate. I hope that the characters are less OOC than before. I actually got a chance to see all of the first season (finally) and all of NEXT, except for tape six. I've seen a little bit of TRY, but not enough for me to go off from that season. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter See ya at the next chapter. Ja ne!


Onward   |   Fanfiction