Chapter 5: A Green-Eyed Monster! Is This What Being a Girl Is Like?


"Anya Inverse here! My family and I are trying to help a girl escape from her Mazoku father, but you knew that already. Anyway, now we've met this family of dragons out in the country; old friends of the family. I went off into the woods to be alone, but the young men of the house sort of followed me and, well, let's just say things got complicated. Not that we actually did anything, but if that Mazoku hadn't interrupted us -- What am I saying? The boy's a brat, a scoundrel, and a.... I couldn't possibly be attracted to him! Never! Not in a million years! Do we really have to talk about this right now?"

"We're lost." Anya said as she made her way through the woods, Valgaav trailing behind her.

"We are not lost." He said, with something approaching a smirk. "We just got a little disoriented while we were fighting that Mazoku. Must be a residual effect of its magic."

"In other words, we're lost. If we're not back soon, what will our parents think?" Anya had a sudden inspiration. "No! They couldn't possibly think -- Valgaav! You're doing this deliberately just to get me in trouble!"

"Our parents won't think anything except we got lost in the woods. Besides, I'd be in even more trouble than you would. MY mother is a former shrine maiden. Your mother probably wouldn't even mind if you had a little fling, but when Filia thinks I'm involved with a girl I never hear the end of it."

"Then this has happened before?"

"Only once. I learned my lesson."

"Evidently not well enough or you wouldn't be getting girls lost in the woods."

Suddenly a horn could be heard in the distance. "Anya, is that somebody looking for us?" Valgaav asked.

"This is your neck of the woods, not mine."

A man and a woman appeared behind a clump of trees. They were in green hunting gear, and carried longbows slung around their backs. Anya immediately noticed that both of them were incredibly handsome and gorgeous, respectively. "Ahoy, travelers!" the man said. "You look lost!"

The woman smirked at him. "Obviously, these young people only want us to THINK they're lost...."

Anya bristled. "Don't joke around like that! And who are you anyway?"

"My name is Gorvald," said the man, "and this is Kressida. We're rangers, as if you couldn't tell by our garb."

Valgaav's eye's narrowed. "Rangers, eh? Didn't know there were any about in these parts."

Kressida smiled guiltily. "We try to keep a low profile. You must be Valgaav from the inn, right? I've seen you around these woods before -- who was that girl you were with then?"

Anya stamped her foot. "That does it! I'm going back to the inn by myself! You can take all the grief from your mother you want!"

"Are you sure you know the way?" Gorvald said.

"I'll find it. I'll see you back at the inn, you brat!" Anya stalked off, visibly upset.

Gorvald shrugged his shoulders. "I'd better go after her. She won't know her way at all."

Kressida nodded. "Fine, I'll take care of the boy."

Valgaav stammered. "No, that's okay. I can get Anya home. No problem."

"I think it'd be better if you two didn't come home together," said Kressida, following it up with a sexy wink.

Valgaav was stunned. God, he thought, this woman was gorgeous. But Anya needed him....

"The girl will be fine." Kressida said. "Let's get you home."


"Stupid dragon! Stupid rangers! Stupid bloody woods! I ought to clear my way with some fireballs!" Anya was in the midst of a full-blooded tempter tantrum.

A booming voice behind her said "That's not the way back to the Mace and Teapot." Anya turned her head and saw that Gorvald was following her. The first thought that crossed her mind was that this was a real hunk; even more muscular than her father and with a finely-chiseled face and a very, very strong chin. His shaved head completed the appearance. "Clearly you don't know these woods."

Anya thought for a moment. "Wait a moment -- how did you know I was staying at the Mace and Teapot?"

Gorvald thought for a moment. "Valgaav told me? That doesn't matter. The mace and teapot is the best inn in these parts, and it seems natural that's where you'd stay."

"Is that so? Well, we'll see if that's true when we're all back together at the inn."

Gorvald grinned. "Then you'll accept my help?"

Anya shrugged. "Why not? Can't be any worse than being led around the nose by that stupid dragon."

Gorvald walked over to her and took out a strange device that looked almost but not quite like a compass. "This way." He said. "If you follow me we'll get back to the inn in half an hour."

Anya stopped for a moment. "Wait a minute. I changed my mind. The four of us should really go together."

"Kressida will get him home, no problem."

The two walked through the woods for a few minutes. "So," Anya asked, "You and Kressida -- you a couple?"

"We're partners, if that's what you mean. You could say we're working towards a common goal. What about you and the dragon, as you call him?"

"We just met." But that didn't stop him from coming on to you back there, Anya thought. Honestly, what was he thinking?

"Then he's a fast worker. Here in the woods, people are pretty free with their emotions. They tend to let their hair down and relax a bit. They say there's some sort of aura to the place."

"Come to think of it," Anya said, "I'm sensing some sort of aura right now. It's strange and unfamiliar, yet...."

"Welcoming?" Gorvald asked. "The woods are like that. Some couples who go into the woods choose never to leave. Whole families have sprouted up in these forests."

"Then we'd better get the loving hell out of here. I have a job to do."

So do I, thought Gorvald, so do I.....


Kressida smiled the smile of a predator that had caught some especially luscious prey. "Say, you look like a nice, strong young man." She said to Valgaav. "What say before we go back to your inn we have a little fun?"

"My mother would skin me alive if you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting." Said Valgaav.

Kressida licked her lips. "She'll never have to know. Just a little tumble? The girl will be grateful for it if you know what you're doing when you finally get her." Kressida began to undo her top.

Valgaav shouted "Absolutely not! I was raised with better morals than that! So don't take that off!"

"You don't understand, my boy, you don't have a choice. You'll never find the girl again, and you'll never get out without me. The price of my help is your virtue."

Valgaav snorted. "Then you've just priced yourself out of the market, lady. All I need to do is find a forty-foot clearing -- ANY forty-foot clearing -- and I'm out of here. And if I can't find a clearing I'll make one."

"Then we'll have to this the hard way," Kressida, said, leaping at Valgaav before he could react. She landed on top of him and pinned him to the ground.

"That's not possible!' Valgaav said.

"Believe it, Gorgeous."

"Nobody's that fast, unless -- MAZOKU!"

"You know what they say, boy -- when attacked, just lie back and enjoy it!" Kressida's clothes began to melt into her skin, which changed color to bright red. "Your girlfriend can't help you now, boy! Enjoy your final moments on this Earth!"

Valgaav managed to free a hand. "I think you'll find I have a few surprises myself, devil lady." He reached up his hand to touch Kressida's hair, and pull her head closer to his own.

"Oh? You've decided to give in?"

Valgaav silently opened his mouth. Kressida smiled wickedly -- then blanched as she saw the light forming in the back of his throat. An instant later a beam of shining, white light pierced through her head and into the sky above. Valgaav hurled the inert body off of him and stood.

I'd better get out of here, he thought. That won't stop her for long, and if she's a Mazoku then so is Gorvald. Meaning Anya's in danger! with his breath weapon, Valgaav cleared enough space for him to turn into a dragon. Then he hurled himself into the air to look for Anya.


Anya was surprised to see her mother running through the woods to meet them. "Anya!" she said. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine. I just got lost in the woods. This ranger helped me out."

Filia ran up behind Lina. "Where's Valgaav? I saw his light deep in the woods!"

Anya stomped her foot. "I don't know or care! Why don't you guys look up in the sky? Maybe he'll fly home."

"Anya," Lina said inquiringly, "Did you two quarrel?"

"That's really none of anyone's business, Mom."

"ANYA! Don't you remember we're on the run from the Mazoku? We need all the allies we can get! We can't afford to antagonize Valgaav! And what did you do in there anyway?"

"Nothing! Nothing happened! Honest! Why don't you believe me, Mother?"

"Because you're sixteen, that's why! You're not in full control of yourself."

Filia turned her attention to Gorvald. "Thank you for helping this girl," she said, "but what about my son? Is he all right?"

"He'll be fine." Gorvald chuckled. "With Kressida's help, he's certain to find his way."

Anya's eyes narrowed. "Kressida? I can't believe I left him alone with Kressida!"

"Kressida is a skilled woods woman. He'll be fine. We're only about half a mile from your inn. Well, I guess I'll be on my way..." Gorvald turned to leave.

"No, stay." Filia said. "At least have dinner with us. It's the least I could do."

Gorvald smiled. "Sure, why not? I'm sure it'll be a change from trail fare."


Valgaav scanned the scene from the air. He wished he could speak Common in his dragon form. He swooped down and landed in front of the inn, changing back to human before the rest of the group could arrive. He only had to wait, and then he could confront Gorvald.

Very soon, the four people came over the horizon. "Man, am I glad to see the inn! I can't wait to taste the dinner Titania's prepared for us!" Lina said.

Anya stopped. "Valgaav! How did you get back so quick? Did that ranger woman "help" you?"

"I got out on my own, thanks very much. And you! Gorvald! You go away now or face my ---"

"VALGAAV!" cried Filia. "Not one more word! You are in SO MUCH TROUBLE, YOUNG MAN! How many times do I have to pull you out of messes like this?"

"Mother, you don't understand! That man isn't what he looks like!"

"I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ONE MORE WORD OUT OF YOU FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT!" cried Filia. "And if you approach our guest that way one more time, I'll throw you out of my house! I didn't raise my foster-son to be a letch! Now get inside and go to your room! You're not getting ANY SUPPER!"

Anya tapped Filia on the shoulder. "Isn't that a bit much, ma'am? Nothing really happened between us, you know."

Lina grabbed Anya by the arm and pulled her into the inn. "And YOU, young lady, YOU have a LOT of explaining to do!"

Gorvald waited while everyone else went back into the inn ion various states of emotional disarray. He concentrated for a moment. A moment later Kressida, back in her human form, was beside him.

"The general is going to scold you, Kuria." He said softly. "You were supposed to kill him by nightfall, isn't that what you promised Xellos?"

"He caught me off guard, Gorian, that's all. It won't happen again. But look how well it's working out. Just a few hours ago they were a cohesive team, now they're at each other's throats. This will make your job all the easier."

"I suggest you drop the Kressida disguise and take another form. That way the dragon won't suspect you when you suddenly reappear at the doorstep."

"Then I'm still on this job?"

Gorian smiled. "Of course. Can't send you back to Xellos a failure, now can I?"

"Compassion is not a Mazoku trait, you know."

"I know, but you're extremely useful. Remain useful and you have a bright future in the business. Lose your utility and you're dead. That's the way of the Mazoku."

Kuria laughed. "Their discord will be a feast! And I just can't wait to hear their dying screams!"


Chapter 6   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction