Prolouge


Notes

For those of you who have seen The 10th Kingdom, you Know wolf was always a wolf. So I wrote this prolouge to fit Zel as the character, This is entirely my own ideas, and I made up the name Anaya because I can't recall if Snow White's evil stepmother had a name or not. Comments are welcome! I love comments! Enough rambling, let's get on with it!


Zelgadiss wandered through the swamp, not going anywhere, just wandering. Or, he was just wandering, until a scream resonated through the thick foliage. He broke into a run towards the source of the sound....

And was surprised at what he found. A beautiful woman lay upon the ground before him, writhing in agony. Her stunning face was twisted into an ugly grimace, and she clawed ahead, sobbing the whole way. Upon her feet were metal slipper, red hot, turning her feet to a scarred and bloody mess. But Zel recognized the woman, White. Snow White's stepmother, who was queen of the fourth kingdom up two a few weeks ago. She was an evil, evil woman, but still...

The woman looked at him with cerulean eyes, filled to brim with tears, "Please, kind si...Help a feeble old woman..."

Zel glared at her, "Feeble you're not, milady, and not near old enough to be harmless. Don't think I don't know who you are, for your face is the bane of the nine kingdoms," his face softened, he wasn't a cruel man, "Though I think this has been ample punishment for you, if you are deeply sorry for your wrongdoings..."

"Oh, sir! I am...I...am..." It was then that the woman lapsed into unconsciousness, the pain finally overtaking that once clear and deadly mind.

Sighing, the young man picked her up and carried her to the house of the Swamp Queen, who was out running errands. How harmless could this lady be, anyways?


Anaya White rubbed her eyes groggily, confused. She was in a bed...The memories came back to her slowly, and she sat up to see a strapping young man preparing food. Stars exploded in her skull and she lay back down, groaning.

"Oh, you're up. Good." The man put a steaming cup to her lips, and she drank the sticky-sweet mixture with a suddenly unsatiable thirst. She emptied one glass, then another. The youth smiled, "Well, I suppose it's nice to know you're feeling better. You should be up and about in a few days," He patted her hand, "My name is Zelgadiss Greywords."

Anaya tried to smile, "I am..."

His eyes hardened, for but a second, "I know who you are, Milady and I know of your deeds. But I don't believe in cruelty, which is why I saved you. Do you remember your promise?"

She nodded. Shit, she'd forgotten about that, "I remember..." Something felt wrong inside of her. Her thoughts came jumbled and confused, as if mixing themselves up on the way to her brain. This youth may prove important later, though his compassion for others was a setback. A slow plan worked it's way into her skull, and she smiled before drifting off, feeling like her old self again.


It had been three years since she had come into his life, three years since the dreams began, and three years since every mirror broke, and every pool became murky. But Zelgadiss didn't realize these three things were connected, and when he though about them, his mind retreated from the fact and led him to another train of thought. Three years...She was like family now, Zelgadiss couldn't believe the stories he'd heard of her anymore, she was kind, friendly, and optimistic. He never remembered ever fighting with her. Except that once....

It had started over something so stupid, he couldn't remember what it was anymore. But, in a brief loss of self-control, he had mentioned his dreams to her. How horrible they were, him being alone and defenseless, able to do nothing against the dark wolf that stalked him. She had laughed in his face.

"So, Zelgadiss Greywords, you blame your own misgivings on dreams and wraiths of the night?"

"No!" He had cried, "That's not what I meant. I-I..."

She cackled again, and looked at him, her eyes showing nothing but cruel calculations, "Mayhaps your dreams are trying to tell you something. You are weak, Zelgadiss Greywords. You are powerless, incompetent. You are useless."

He should have been angered by her words, should have remembered that HE was the one that took her in, HE that nursed her back to health, HE that cared for her everyday of their lives. But instead, he felt only remorse and self-loathing. He had failed. He was failure. That day he had fallen to his knees, sobbing. And it was that day that she had comforted him, told him that she would help him to be strong, that she would teach him her ways, and grant his wish.

Since that day he had tried to strengthen himself, to reach his limits, and beyond. He had vowed, after that day, that he would never be useless again.

"Zel!"

The call snapped him from his reverie, and he walked towards the hut. A fleeting thought hit him. The swamp witch had not returned...She was probably dead...

He entered the small but comfortable home to meet the icy eyes of Anaya. She looked at him, a look so cold and heartless it sent his mind into a dizzying swirl of torment and confusion. What was going on.

"I have given you enough time, Zelgadiss Greywords. I have taught you all you need to know, and you still disappoint me. You are useless."

The words had hit him like a load of bricks, and he fell to her feet, "I'm sorry..."

"No, you're not. What have I always taught you?"

He chocked back a sob, "The only people who are truly sorry are those who wouldn't do it in the first place."

She lay a hand on his head, stroking his hair as he whimpered, "Zelgadiss, the time has come for me to repay you."

He didn't understand, and when he looked up at her, her impassive face gave him no answers, "What do you mean?"

"You saved my life three years ago. I will grant you your hearts desire, you need only name it."

Perhaps if Zel had been thinking clearly, he would have understood all that ways a granter of wishes could twist words, especially in the nine kingdoms. But, as he was, he knew his wish, "I wish to be strong. I wish to not just defeat my dream, but to dominate it, to rule over it and all like it."

She looked down at him. Was she...Smiling? "This is truly your wish?"

"Yes"

"To dominate something you must become like it. It is done."

Zelgadiss detected a slight tingle in his mind, but felt no different.

"Now," she said, looking down at him, "You must do me a favour."

"What is that?"

"Go into town, and bring me back the finest thing you can find for a Wendell or less"

"To town?! Anaya..." He hadn't been to a town since he had found her.

"Go."

"But...?"

"Go, and you will prove your worth to me."

"Yes."

So Zelgadiss had entered the town. A surprising reaction awaited him. All around were calls of "Wolf!" and "Freak!" and "Get out of here!" These had only succeeded in making Zelgadiss angry. He embraced the unfamiliar rage and hunger he felt, and unleashed it upon the nearest person.


The jail cart took his bloodied form away. He peeked out through the bars, knowing his freedom was lost, and that Anaya had set him up. Day turned to night, and light to darkness. As the moon peeked curiously from behind a cloud, the only sound heard for miles around was a single, mournful howl, filling the sky with it's melodic sorrow.


They threw him in a tiny, dirt-ridden cage, infested with all sorts of nasty things. The Snow White Memorial Prison. They prodded him with sticks, provoking him to growl loud enough that they could beat him senseless. He had told him his name, but they called him only 'Wolf.' They gave him little water, and less food. The water was dirty, and the meat raw. Both were slipped under the door in two metal dishes and no cutlery. They wouldn't allow him to eat with his hands. A dog he was, and so would eat like one, on all fours. When they were not harassing him, he was left alone to his mind. Shadows darted in every crevice, demons watched from every darkness. Wolves haunted him no more. Anaya had not lied to him. He dominated them now, was their leader. These were much worse. Instead of the black canine, the face of the cackling stepmother now followed him everywhere. Slowly they broke him, and slowly Zelgadiss retreated, and finally faded away. Zelgadiss was dead, there was only Wolf.


Chapter 1   |   Fanfiction