Slayers Forever


Notes

navy = navy


Leaning against a tree, the small girl sighed soundly. Looking up at the sky she realized how boring life had become. I mean face it, if you fought a bunch of super - powered bad guys that weren't human you'd think killing bandits would get boring too, right?

But money is money ...

"Hey Lina!"Gourry called fondly. He smiled as she looked at him."Lina, when are we gonna find somewhere to sleep? I'm tired!"To prove that point, he wiped his eyes yawning.

Lina just waved an arm."Okay, I think we have enough for our rooms and some food. I think we should too!"Jumping up, she started running to the nearest restaurant. She just hoped there was enough chefs there to supply them with enough food quickly.

"Hey, Lina! LINA!" the dumb founded sidekick yelled, trying to keep up to her. For some reason he stayed with her. He knew she wasn't a little girl, and he knew she didn't need to be protected. He called himself her 'guardian', but most the time she ended up saving him. He tried to shake away the only thought he knew was true, he loved her too much to leave.

Walking into the diner with Gourry close behind, they found a nice place to sit."Ah! It feels like I haven't sat forever! Oh I can't wait till I get my room! I hope the beds are soft!"Looking at Gourry, and how he stared back at her with a dumb gaze, she hit him over the head with a plate.

Gourry shook his head, waking up from his little dream world. Looking at Lina's angry face, he scratched the back of his head."Lina! What are you so mad about?"He asked in a sweet voice.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK I'M MAD ABOUT, BAKA?!"She screamed hitting him, and getting the whole place to look at the two."Oh shit."She said quietly staring at the crowd.

Sweatdrops formed on both their heads as the chefs and owner of the diner came out in front of the crowd.

"What is the meaning of this?"The owner cried, pointing to Lina and Gourry, then the exit.

Lina started to get mad, and Gourry really couldn't calm her down."FIRE BALL!"She screamed angrily.

"DAMMIT!"Gourry cried as he picked her up and ran like hell. He tried to keep hold as Lina screamed and kicked. He only prayed she didn't use magic on him. Finally running a safe distance, he sat Lina down, and she lay on the grass.

"I tired myself out."She admitted."Can we just stay here tonight?"She asked, then smiled when she heard Gourry say it before her. She only nodded and he fell on the grass, asleep. "I guess I keep watch first."A sweatdrop formed on her head.

She laid against the tree in back of her, and looked at Gourry. Her eyes softened at him. Yes, she knew he could be dumb, and could annoy her to death. Still, she wondered what could make her heart melt like now. She didn't understand it. She knew she didn't need him, she knew she could do everything by herself. But she never told him to leave. Yes, she did want the Sword of Light. But if she wanted it as bad as she seemed, it could be with her, and be gone by morning. But she didn't. She wanted him to stay. Did she love him? No, she wouldn't even admit that to herself.

Gourry woke up to see Lina asleep against the tree. He didn't say or think anything just laid her gently on the grass, slowly brushed back her hair from her eyes then leaned against the tree to watch over her the rest of the night..

The next day Gourry and Lina were on their way. They just walked, not caring where they went. As long as they could eat.

Walking to the nearest restaurant, they sat down and ordered everything five times each. After having the waitress faint from bringing everything at once to their table, and eating it in under five minutes, they were happy campers.

No one noticed the old woman come to their table.

"Excuse me, Ms. Inverse?"She asked in a kindly old tone. Her light silver hair came down to her shoulders. Her face was wrinkled and old, showing the wisdom of her years.

"N-Nani?!"Asked Lina as she almost fell out of her chair. She looked at the old lady, he face looked troubled."Nani?"She repeated.

The old lady frowned as she began her story."First off, Ms. Inverse, my name is Umi, My home is near the sea," she shook her head bitterly, as a tear fell from her withered eye.

"The sea?"Lina asked, starting to listen more."Isn't that a bit far away? What are you doing all the way here? Did you come just to see me?" she asked while Gourry was very confused.

"Hold on young lady! I'm getting to that!"She said out of frustration."The sea by my home is very sacred. It is very magical..."

"Magical?" Lina said, now very curious.

"Do you want to hear anymore?"

Lina just nodded.

"Then listen, kids these days..."She muttered."Like I was saying, the sea is very magical."She looked at Lina, who sat quietly, listening."The sea is usually very calm. A few weeks ago, something happened. The water started to move. And now - "The woman frowned bitterly."And now it's gone, someone stole the sea!"

How could someone steal the sea? Lina wondered."They must have strong magical power,"she pondered."I think they must've blew it out somehow."

The old lady smiled happily."Oh Ms. Inverse does this mean..."

"Not so fast, how much am I gonna get paid for this?" She asked, cutting her off. "I mean, If I'm gonna do it, it might as well be for cash, ne?"

"I don't have much..."the woman said.

By this time Lina and Gourry were almost out the door.

"W-Wait! I can pay as much as you like!"

Lina and Gourry sat back down with the old lady.

"We'll do it."


The next day the pair met Umi at the same restaurant, ready to go.

Gourry was a bit bothered by how quick the red haired sorceress had made her decision. Of course, he knew once she made up her mind it wouldn't change, still."Lina? Do you - "

"Shh, Gourry!"She replied waving a hand at him."Don't worry so much! After being through everything we have, this should be easy ,I think."

Umi smiled at the two. Ah! What a lovely pair! She thought to herself amused. One day they will make an interesting couple. She giggled."Welcome, welcome Ms. Lina!"

The swordsman smiled back kindly, his mother always said it was good to be polite. He couldn't place it, but there was something weird about this elderly woman. Once again he shrugged it off.

"Hey Umi, so how do we get there? I mean, it is sorta far away..."She knew it was blunt, but she never was much for words. She smiled to herself. But then again, who was there to teach her grammar?

The old woman looked tired. She used great magic and much walking to get where she was. All she could do was nod. Smiling at them she pointed and started to walk outside to the docks.

Lina just looked at the door, then at Gourry."Not much for words, ne?"she smiled looking toward the door, then started running.

Giving a goofy grin, Gourry did the same."Lina, hey Lina! Wait up!"

When they reached the deck, Umi was waiting. She was finally able to talk again. Using a lot of magic at once wasn't easy."Were using this ship."She pointed."It will take us where we need to - "

"I have a question,"Lina interrupted."I feel a strong magical source from you, but I can't place it,"she began, hoping it didn't turn out bothersome."What is it?"

Umi just stared at her, then blinked."H-How?"She tilted her head in amazement, then composed herself."All will be revealed in time, Ms Lina, but I can promise you I am not a threat."

"How can I be sure?"Lina asked as she narrowed her eyes, trying to focus on Umi's magic. It was a new power, she knew she'd never seen before..

"You have my word Ms. Lina. Why would I lie to someone much more powerful than me? And I will be weak for awhile, so I cannot pose a threat anyway."

Tired of fighting, the small girl nodded."Okay, okay! Can we get going then? I wanna get this over with and get my cash!"She complained.

Slowly Umi made her way up to the ship they were taking. The ship looked nice enough, with nice clean rooms and clean decks. The workers were even nice. There was only one problem. Two bedrooms, three people.

Lina hung her head low, a sweatdrop forming. Quickly she took Gourry's arm, and they fled to a corner of the ship."Okay Gourry, we have to share a room But you don't have to worry your little yogurt brain because I brought my sleeping bag and - "

"I'll sleep on the floor"Gourry said sounding quite serious. It even made Lina stop in her tracks.

"But - "The fiery sorceress never finished her fight. When she looked up at him she seemed not able to speak. His bright eyes stared back down at her, and she almost thought were full of pain.

If it wasn't for Gourry's personality, she wouldn't have been as easily fooled.

"Mr. Gourry, Ms. Lina, please hurry,"the old woman called, smiling. She looked at their captain. He was a strong man, and very tall. He had light brown hair and dark brown eyes. He smiled back at the elderly woman kindly.

As they started to walk away, Lina began to smile evilly. Looking over her shoulder, she pointed."Hey Gourry, isn't that your love, Balloon?"She laughed to herself.

Gourry went insane."Keep him away!"He cried at Lina, jumping in front of her, very frightened. He looked to see nothing."Hey Lina - "

Lina was now walking with Umi. She looked over her shoulder at Gourry and smiled."Come on! Let's hurry and look at our rooms so we can EAT!"At the word eat, she smiled bigger.

"FOOOOOODD!"Gourry screamed, running at the pair.

Umi giggled to herself. They were quite amusing, but there was something interesting about the blonde swordsman. He felt so familiar to say the least. She shrugged it off, there was no need in worrying over such petty things. Anyway, she'd always have time to think it over later.

After dinner, the pair started off to their room. The chef was in the kitchen, still crying about how he would now have to eat on rations.

Sighing somewhat, Lina looked up at the swordsman and frowned. Something wasn't right, she knew. He didn't eat nearly as much as he usually did, he hardly said anything stupid all night, and only smiled when someone looked at him. Not that she was paying attention, that is.

Gourry frowned. It didn't happen much, but he was depressed. Opening the door to their room, he let Lina walk through first. He wasn't even quite sure why he was so sad. He knew it didn't have anything to do with sharing a room with Lina, they'd done it before, but somehow he felt a little more awkward about it now. He looked down at the girl before him as concern filled her eyes and forced a smile.

She slapped him."Stop it, your not like that, stop it,"she said frowning deeply."Don't act like something your not, don't hide it."She looked away."Just tell me..."

A small girl, sobbing. She had just opened the door to her parents bedroom, she wanted to tell her father how good she was. How she learned her first healing spell. Her sister, Luna, had told her she was a quick learner. She had been learning magic even when all the bad stuff happened. Her mother started to cry a lot, her father seemed less and less happy. She had always wanted to make her father proud, and she was what some people might call 'the perfect kid'. A day or two ago her father had told her something. "You can only be who you are, so don't act like someone else." And now, she saw her father, hanging from the closet ceiling, by his neck. Tears began to flow, and she screamed.

She shook her head, and remembered what was happening. It was like someone had reawakened her memories then she realized she was talking to Gourry.

Gourry just looked at her. She had been staring at him blankly for a while now. He touched his cheek. He'd been hit many times by Lina before, but not seriously."Lina..."

She was already walking to her bed, looking back, she looked into his eyes."Go to sleep, you baka."She said calmly, which meant at least she wasn't mad.

Gourry frowned again."Lina, gomen nasai."He said as he laid down on the futon next to her bed.

Lina laid on her bed and closed her eyes."Gourry...?"

"Hm? Lina?"

"You can only be who you are, so don't act like someone else."

The next morning he woke up to find Lina acting like her old self. He remembered her words.(He remembered something!)

"No Gourry!"Lina screamed with the chicken in her mouth at Gourry on the other end.

"Share Lina!"He exclaimed back as he pulled harder.

A sweatdrop formed on Umi's forehead. Were they always like this? She wondered thoughtfully but smiled to herself. She always enjoyed watching the two eat since she meet them. Some people would call it gross, but for the old, wise, woman looked past the eating, and giggled.

"Ne, what's so funny?"Lina asked Umi. She tilted her head then forgot her question. She had to save her food from Gourry!

"Lina?"Gourry asked after they were done eating."Lina, how much are we working for?"

Lina smiled at him, and shook her finger."Ask questions later! But you know it'll be a lot!"She winked, then passed out.

"LINA!" Gourry screamed, running to her side, holding her in his arms. Moments later, he too passed out.

"W-What?!What is this?!" the old woman asked confused. She looked around her to see the sailors surrounding her. It must be the food, she thought. Yes, because she didn't eat anything and she was just fine. Oh She wished she didn't have to do this, but "I CALL UPON YOU, GODDESS OF THE SEA!" She lifted her old hands into the air, and they weren't so old anymore."HEAR MY CRY, AND GIVE ME THE POWER TO PROTECT THE FUTURE!"

With that, she smiled. Her features had changed. What used to be old grey hair was now a dark brown. Where her skin used to be wrinkled, was now perfect. Narrowing her eyes, she pointed her hands at the sailors, and they were blown away with a powerful force of water. Flapping her long, beautiful tail, she fainted. And when she did, her disguise once more appeared.

Umi woke up a few minutes later. Healing the two with her magic, she smiled.

"W-What happened?" The fiery haired sorceress asked the old woman."I feel so tired."

Gourry nodded in agreement and emphasizing the point.

Lina blinked, realizing where she was, in Gourry's arms. But before she could start anything, Umi stopped her.

"Please, Ms. Lina, its best if you move as less as possible. It seems you've gotten it far worse than Mr. Gourry has."She frowned."I'm not trying to be rude, but you did eat way more."

Lina growled about to make a fowl comment, but stopped short when she started to wobble a bit. Shaking her head a couple times, she opened her mouth to say something, but fainted again.

Gourry caught the small girl instinctively. Sighing a breath of relief, he picked her up. Looking down at her, he blushed slightly. He'd never really been this close before, and not hit. Well, there was that one time after defeating the Hellmaster but that wasn't so long. She started beating him soon after. Secretly he was glad she was knocked out, because he wasn't getting beaten.

Umi smiled gently at him."I healed you both totally, the only side effect there is to my magic is that people get tired when I use it in extreme cases, like this one," she pointed at Lina.

Smiling gently at the form he'd be cradling, the ditzy swordsman looked back up to Umi."Thanks, I guess we'll go to bed now."And with that he carried her to their room.

Umi sighed as she started shoving sailors over board onto a raft. Hard work it was, but how was she to know that the ships crew was going to be bad? She shook her head as she shoved another into the raft."People these days "

Gourry laid Lina down on her bed, then yawned again. He smiled down at her sleeping body, knowing far to well she wasn't as sweet or gentle as she looked. He laughed a bit as the thought entered his mind. Sitting in a chair in the corner of the room, he fell asleep.


Lina screamed as she ran down halls of what seemed like a large building. She looked both ways, her eyes were puffy red from crying. Running into a room she saw what it seemed like she had been. Her father hanging himself.

She ran out of the room crying and screaming again. Shaking her head, she realized something."This isn't how I normally act! What's going on? Why is the past catching up to me so fast?!" She looked at the floor, shivering.

When she looked back up she saw Gourry. He wasn't his usual brain dead self either. All she did was stare at him. Lina didn't know why, but when she stared into his eyes, she couldn't move.

He stared back down at her with a blank face. His features were impossible to read."Lina, turn back. Don't let it happen twice." He looked over, staring at the hanging dead body of the man she called father. He turned back at her, staring her straight in the face."Do you want another man you love to die?"

Lina woke up in a cold sweat. She curled up into a ball, and wept. She'd held everything in so long, telling herself she was a powerful sorceress. No, she couldn't cry, But she did and now that it was coming out, she couldn't stop. She tried to in vain. She ended up sobbing harder and breathing heavier. Her breath turned into heaves as she tried to calm down. She knew if she didn't stop soon someone would notice. Thinking about her dream, it was so real. It said to turn back. She had never done such a thing in her life, but now she wondered.

Gourry opened his eyes and looked up from his chair. He saw Lina curled in a ball on her bed. Was she, crying?

"Lina?" He stood up and walked over to the sobbing sorceress, putting a hand on her shoulder.

She pulled away and curled tighter in her little ball. She tried to calm down again, to no avail. Then she felt herself being lifted into strong arms. Her face fell into his chest, and tears fell silently.

His eyes softened, and he hugged her tighter, confused. Why was she so sad? Was it because of him? She only started acting sad when he did. Did this mean it was his fault?"Lina, gomen nasai. Don't be sad."He looked down on her shaking form."Lina,"he said as he lifted her chin. He saw something he'd never seen in her eyes before. Fear. Frowning deeper, he watched the tears fall down her red cheeks. Wiping them away, he smiled gently.

Lina didn't know what to think. Should she let him or hit him? She'd never thought about it before, before she just hit. Why didn't she want to hit him now? He'd already seen her cry, hugged her, and wiped her tears! But already she felt calmer. She felt Safe. It was a weird feeling, she hardly ever felt safe around anyone. Should she tell him? He'd forget anyway No!!She wasn't going to tell anyone, she wasn't going to be weak. Her mother always told her that if she acted weak then she might end up being hurt. All she ever really had was her mother and sister. Her sister wasn't pleased with her Still. Fear still touched her heart. She shook her head; this was just all too much at once! She looked back up at him."No Gourry, gomen nasai."She threw herself at him, hugging him tightly. She laid her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes, she finally felt safe.

Umi woke up suddenly. Someone was messing with Lina's dreams! She could feel it. It was telling her to turn back. No, it couldn't end up like this! If he found her weakness all would be lost. She looked at the clock.4.00 AM, oh my! She didn't want to just run into her room. But did she have a choice? If they turned back now, everything would be gone. They'd lose everything. She got up and ran to Lina's room. No! All would NOT be lost! She would save this earth no matter what the cost! She knocked on the sorceress's door.

As Lina awoke from her needed sleep, she looked at her surroundings. Something wasn't right. She sat up, looking at what she was using as a pillow, Gourry. Then she remembered."Oh."She looked at the door, and heard knocking. She looked at Gourry for a few minutes, Then got up."Gourry, thank you." She opened the door, and found a frightened Umi.

The older woman frowned greatly."Ms. Lina, I know this may sound a bit weird but, do not turn back as the dream asks. It's a lie. It will do anything to keep you away. It's scared of you Ms. Lina. I'm begging you. It will use one of your greatest weaknesses. Please, you may not believe me, but the worst thing we can do now is turn back."Looking Lina straight in the eyes, she took her hand."Please "

Lina frowned, looking at Gourry, then back at Umi."Your not telling me something. This is going way deeper than any journey I've ever been on. Tell me everything, NOW!"

Umi sighed, defeated."Alright, you deserve to know "

"Damn right I do!"Lina yelled. Her eyes narrowed in anger. "How do you know about my dream? If the seas gone then, WHAT THE HELL ARE WE SAILING ON?!"

Looking into the smaller girls eyes, she nodded."Wake up Mr. Gourry, and meet me on deck. Everything will be explained. We need off this ship anyway. Think you can use Ray-Wing?"

Lina's mouth opened."We're not even docked yet! How far away are we?"But when she looked at Umi, she was gone.

When they met Umi on deck, they were shocked by what they saw. She was no longer an old woman, instead there was a young woman of about twenty. She had dark brown hair and aqua eyes, but she also had, A mermaid tail?!

Umi looked at them with saddened eyes."I'm sorry I lied. This is the real me, I hope you're able to handle everything I tell you because, you see, you can't get out of this. You are the only ones that can help me."

"What the hell ?!"Lina cried outraged."Tell me what's going on!"She growled, feeling the urge to yell 'Fire Ball'.

Gourry tilted his head."Where's Umi?"He asked, in a dumb, but quite serious voice.

Lina shook her head, ignoring the question."Get on with it, tell us everything. Refuse to tell me something and I'll let loose the biggest dragon slave yet."

Umi cringed, imaging what could be."I would not lie to you Ms. Lina; my life is in your hands,"she shook her head, knowing she was more or less screwed."It is not the ocean itself that's destroyed. It's my people. I came to find them gone, their bodies showed what I feared, they were killed. I knew you wouldn't believe me if I told you mermaids needed your help!"She looked at Gourry, then smiled."I realize why you seem familiar! You have the Sword of Light, correct?"Her smile grew bigger."Your grandmother was fairy. Their son, your father, looked a lot like you do! They were my friends, especially your grandmother."

Lina sighed."Your getting off track,"she prepared to start her dragon slave spell, to see that Umi was talking again.

"Well, my kingdom is called, The Sea. I don't know how anyone would hate us so much! His name is Mage. A very strong sorcerer, like Mr. Rowdy, Gourry's grandfather. Mage can go into dreams, only he messes with them. He brings out fears and uses it to his desire. That's how he killed my family, my friends. The only reason he did any of this was because of hate. He hates the world, he hates everything. He used to be one of my people, but making himself more powerful, he became human. He hated my people, because we were happy. I think he went mad,because he was never really excepted. He was very weak. Most men in our kingdom were very strong. He wasn't. He had brains when others had strength. But brains didn't help him become a solider, so we had to pay. Now the world has to pay. Because he didn't fit in "She started to cry, ashamed."We could've tried harder."

Lina thought about this. No one would do this just because they were a bad, bad person. Something wasn't right. She agreed no one had the right to hurt others but this was unforgivable. She could just imagine what Umi thought when she saw her people, her family lying there, and there was nothing she could do. But still as helpless as Umi was against this attacker, she had to at least know a little more. She had to try. She still knew little about this Mage. She couldn't defeat someone she knew so little about!

"Umi, you must know more, there has to be more than that reason. I can't help you until you help me. Try and remember."

Umi looked at the ground, tears falling onto the wooden deck. She wanted to forget the past, but at the same time, go back to it "He was, my lover. My father had forbid me to see him, but I went anyway. He wanted to be human so bad and he needed my help. Only I could get what he needed, my father was the king "She let out a low sob."He asked if I would be human with him but I loved my home and refused. That's when it happened He hit me. As I went flying across the room I asked why? He told me He told me he never wanted me; that I was a good source for things he needed. Some things I wish I could take back, He told me he'd destroy our kind, Our people. He told me humans should only live and he should be king. I told him no and he knocked me out. When I awoke he had left me far away from destruction, but I don't know why."

Gourry frowned, this Mage person sounded pretty bad. No man should hit a woman. He sounded pretty evil, how could someone use someone else? he wondered. How could you hurt someone you love? He looked over to Lina, her expression was both sad and horrified. He saw her look at him and they both nodded.

"We'll help you anyway we can."

Lina walked over to the young mermaid and put a hand on her shaking shoulder."Umi, you just lead the way, Gourry and I will use Ray-Wing and you can swim. Is that alright?"Her voice was unusually gentle. Normally she hated this mushy stuff, but so much had happened to this girl. She shook her head.

As Umi jumped into the water, Lina cast Ray-Wing, grabbing Gourry on the way off the ship, and away they went.

"Hey Lina?"Gourry asked quietly when they flew off. He looked up at her as she looked down."Lina, if someone loves someone else, how can they hurt each other?"

Shaking her head again, she looked back down at Gourry."I dunno Gourry, but right now I'm glad I'm not Umi. But still I wouldn't let anyone hurt me like that."

"Lina, I wouldn't hurt you like that,"he said looking down at the swimming figure below them."I wouldn't let anyone hurt you."

"Oh," was her only reply. They flew silently, following the mermaid. Her face was almost as red as her blood."Gourry No one will hurt you either."

Swimming quickly through the water, Umi was deep in thought. Why now? Why did Lina look so scared? What did he pull out of her? She sighed deeply, knowing this wasn't good. It sounded like Mage had grown stronger. She would never forgive him. All the lies, she hated them. The faint 'I love you'.Tears fell from her eyes, blurring her sight. She knew she couldn't fight him. She couldn't use her power against him. She might have to. Speeding up, she headed for the shore.

Lina flew into the sandy beach. Gourry laid beside her as she tried to catch her breath. Looking over she laughed silently at how he kissed the soft ground. Looking across Macross island, she sighed deeply, knowing the trip ahead wouldn't be fun.

Umi made her way to the small group, pushing her hair back with a free hand."Ms. Lina, Mr. Gourry, I'm sorry you have to go through this! But I've heard about what you've done and, I knew you could help. The people who know the truth will always thank you "Smiling slightly she looked at the ocean behind her."They will all thank you."

Both the sorceress and swordsman blushed. They knew in their hearts this was the right thing. They both nodded proudly.

"Please know though "The mermaids eyes flashed with both fear and worry."Please know he could kill you. I know you are both very strong and have made it through other things, but he plays by different rules he reads minds Making you insane until-until you kill yourself. You don't even know you've done it "As she started to cry, she took one last glance at the two."Please, just be careful."

Standing up, Lina looked at the saddened woman. She knew she couldn't erase the pain that had caused Umi to suffer. All she could do now was avenge the lives of these people. Of course, she'd get paid too but

Gourry stood up next to the shorter woman, putting a hand on her shoulder."Don't worry Miss, I don't know who you are but I'm sure-"

"GOURRY! YOU STUPID JERK! YOU NEVER LISTEN! THAT IS UMI!!!"She growled angrily, smacking him over the head. Calming herself down, she put a hand on her head."What's he look like and where do we find him?"

Umi smiled, about to tell the young woman just that, when she was cut off.

"I know how I know you!"Gourry said excitedly, then frowned. "Now I know why I was so sad, Remember? I almost drown. This man said there was candy where he was so I jumped in after him. But I couldn't swim. It was scary, and my mom said I almost died. But then this pretty lady saved me, and yelled at the bad man and-"

"Gourry, can we all talk about this later, hm?"Lina asked, tilting her head and tapping her foot.

"But, Ms. Lina!"Umi exclaimed."That was Mage. I should have known he was bad then but, that's why he choose your dreams."She looked up at Lina and Gourry."Lina, he picked you because you are the closest to Mr. Gourry!"

Lina tilted her head, confused."Why not just pick Gourry? Wouldn't that just be the smart thing to do?"She asked scratching her head.

Umi frowned sadly."You didn't listen; He likes to play with your mind first. Think about it, what a better way than to use someone close to the target."

Gourry was thinking, or at least trying, very hard. As he looked up he stared at the two girls in front of him."So he's picking on Lina 'Cause of me?"He frowned depressively."So I'm the one that made her sad " Clenching his fist, he tried to think again."Lina May-"

Before he could anymore, the red haired sorceress stopped him, covering his mouth before he could say another word."Don't you dare finish that sentence!"Her eyes were blazing as her arm shook."I'm sticking to you like glue!"She smiled weakly, anything to make him not finish.

Umi looked at them, and smiled."I have a feeling you won't be leaving us, Mr. Gourry! We couldn't do this without you." The swordsman closed his eyes, then removed Lina's shaking arm. He looked up at her with bright eyes, knowing he would do anything for her."You Don't want me to go?"He started to laugh happily, then stopped when he remembered what they were getting into.

Pointing across the sandy beach, Umi gazed upon a forest."You will find him somewhere in there, I think. Even though he's human now, he needs to stay around here for the water. He also likes dark places so "

Lina nodded. She still cringed at all the mushy stuff that had been happening lately, but oddly and also scary was that she was beginning to like it. No, she still hated love stories, and wasn't relaxed when people hugged or kissed in front of her, still. It seemed weird."Come on Gourry, lets go!"She said, then ran for the forest.

Gourry nodded to Umi."We'll try and help you now so maybe its better if you stay here because, you might get sad, and you're a mermaid," with that he ran off after Lina.

The mermaid put her hands to her chest. Her heart pounding, and her mind was full of mixed feelings."Please be okay."She said, fear filling her heart."Mage, I loved you, but now I say goodbye."

As the two ran through the forest, both didn't know what was going to happen. How were they going to find this Mage? Would he find them first?

Lina stopped, and looked at her surroundings. She looked back to see Gourry still running up to her. Yawning, she sat down, and hugged her knees and rested her head in thought."Why can't this guy like some place nicer like an INN!?"

Gourry plopped down next to her and shrugged."Hey Lina? We dunno where this guy is, right? So why are we just sitting here waiting?"

"Because, I have a feeling he'll come to us, just stay on guard till he does."Lina said, putting up a finger, she smiled.

"Lina, would you be mad if I asked you a question?'Cause I think it might be kinda personal" Gourry asked, looking at his feet as he leaned on his sword."Uh..I mean you don't have to answer or - "

"Of course I don't have to answer, but ask away," she slightly blushed. What could he be asking her?

"Well, I was wondering, I didn't want to ask you before 'cause Umi was there and you'd probably hit me But what made you cry? I know it was my fault 'n stuff but what did the guy bring up that was so bad?" He frowned, thinking of the answer; knowing it was his fault she remembered at all

"Well Gourry," she started, hanging her head low. She still didn't want to tell him, but in a way, she did. As she looked at him, she saw his eyes so full of trust. She knew he'd had the battles of a man, but the innocence of a child. Bitting her lower lip, she nodded. She did say he could ask." Gourry, you see When I was little bad things started to happen to me. My father had just lost his job and hadn't been acting normal. I'd even seen him hit my mother. My mom started to cry a lot, my dad started to be depressed. A few days before It happened My father sat my sister and I down and told us something; he said never to forget. A few days later I went to show him a new spell I'd learned and that's when I saw "She wiped her eyes, not even trying to stop what she knew was going to happen. It did no good to try anyway, she told herself."My father hung himself. I was the first to see him, in that state anyway."

"Oh," Gourry said, shaking his head. He didn't know she'd had such a troubled past. She didn't deserve anything so depressing."Gom Gomen nasai Lina, I'll do anything if you'll forgive me.."His voice was full of pity, like a puppy at the pet store crying in its cage. His eyes were sorrowful as he knew if they'd never met he wouldn't of made her sad.

The small girl shook her head at him."I do not accept that."She said smiling as she watched Gourry's jaw drop to the floor."You don't need to be sorry, is that clear? You did nothing, and you can't see in the future, so don't put the blame on yourself."She smiled putting a hand on his shoulder."But you could gimme that sword "

"No way Lina! This has been in my family for a long time! My ancestors would turn in their graves!"He said, cradling the Sword of Light.

Lina grabbed for it wildly."C'mon Gourry! How about I keep in my family instead,'kay? Then it'll still at least be pasted down "

Mage appeared before them, a mocking smile on his face. They both fell silent and stood up; ready to fight.

Lina's eyes narrowed as she held a fire ball tightly in her hands."You went in my mind, you bastard. I didn't really need to be reminded of my past, you know!"Her voice was cold and icy, and even made Gourry step away.

Gourry pulled out his sword, equally pissed off. "She didn't deserve that, neither of them did. That was inhuman Well, your merman but "

"Ah! As I planned SHE lead you here! What a great pawn she is. She didn't even need to be brain washed! I knew I should keep her alive!"A small laugh grew from his chest. They soon would die, he knew. He would kill them slowly for fun.

"FIRE BALL!" Lina screamed at the top of her lungs as she let her fire ball fly. She hadn't known this guy long but already she hated him with a passion. She watched as he disappeared, then reappeared next to her. She grunted angrily.

"Oh! Is Ms. Lina not happy with me?"Mage said in a mocking tone."I suppose she wants to play!"An evil grin appeared on his face as he disappeared, picking up the small girl and throwing her.

Lina screamed, in surprise. She fell until her head hit a tree. Hard. Then lay unconscious on the ground, her head bleeding badly.

The swordsman's eyes were on fire. He didn't say anything as he pulled his regular sword apart from the hilt."Light Come Forth!"His eyes narrowed as he ran for the dark sorcerer. As Mage went to disappear Gourry brought his sword down hard on Mage's left shoulder. As he dug in deeper he grinded his teeth."You Left me no choice! I will never let anyone hurt Lina ANYONE!"He fell forward as his sword landed in the dirt."Coward " he grunted as Mage disappeared. Gourry ran to Lina and pulled a piece of cloth from his shirt. Wrapping it around her head and hugging her.

Lina groaned as she felt her head. When she looked up she saw a pair of concerned blue eyes looking back at her."My head,"she whispered."I'm gonna get that bastard "

"I'm glad you're okay! But don't make me worry so much about you,'kay?"He said smiling as a slight blush appeared."Oh yeah, I don't have any healing magic Well I don't have any magic but I did the best I could."He grinned proudly as he wiped her bangs from her eyes.

She blushed as she felt her head again. Someone wrapped some cloth on it to stop the bleeding. As she looked at Gourry's shirt she saw his missing sleeve, and blushed more."Uh Thanks Gourry."She said nervously."Oh Uh By the way, Did ya get any good hits on that Mage guy?"

Gourry scratched his head nervously."Yeah, I think I got a little carried away. I got him deep in the left shoulder when I saw you knocked out."

Lina smiled weakly at him, as she started a healing spell on her head."Thanks Gourry. I know he can heal himself, but at least we know we can get some hits in, right?"

"Hai!" Gourry exclaimed happily. He felt proud he was able to get a hit."You're gonna be okay, right?"

The small girl nodded, giggling."You worry to much! I'll be okay."She flashed a peace sign."Plus you're here to help, ne? You are my guardian," she blushed slightly.

Nodding seriously, the blonde swordsman looked straight at Lina."Don't worry Lina, I know half the time you don't need it but your getting protected anyway. I just wanna let you know because I'd want to die more than let something happen to you umm.."

"Gourry "Lina said, surprised."I Uh Ya don't have to do that I mean, I haven't died yet, right?"She tilted her head, and stopped smiling when she looked at his face. His eyes were sad. A tear rolled down his face.

"Just don't die "He said weakly as he grabbed her hand. He knew she'd been close to death many times. Each time he felt as though he also died. If she didn't ever come back from a fight he didn't know what he'd do. As he wiped his eye, he smiled."I want to."

Lina sighed, trying to think of something, anything to get them off this subject. This crush will only lead you to heart break, she told herself over and over. As she looked into his blue eyes, she knew it was much more than a crush but "Lets fight about this later! Right now we need a plan to defeat this guy!"She said and looked away as her heart sank.

"Hm, "Gourry thought with all his might. "This Mage, he didn't look that tough but his magic was strong. Lina, I remember - "

"Whoa! You remembered something Gourry? Tell me! This is rare!" she smiled teasingly. A small laugh came from her throat."Gomen! But this was getting too serious!"

"Okay, way back when we were fighting what's his name - "He thought back to that day How Lina was almost killed, "I think his name was Rezo. He was like a copy or something, anyway didn't you power up the Sword of Light with spells? I mean, if we got a hit with that, it'd be more powerful!"

Lina stared in amazement. She was speechless. How could he have remembered that? She asked herself. He never remembered anything! He hardly remembered the fight against Shabrinigdo! How could he remember this? She had to know, it was driving her insane."Gourry, how the hell did you remember that? You never remember anything! Heck, you almost died when we fought Shabrinigdo, what made you remember the copy of Rezo?"

"You almost died."Gourry said simply, like it was a given."I remember you saved Sylphiel, and was hit instead of her. I remember I got mad, and really sad at the same time, and I thought you were gone forever and stuff. Hey Lina, why were we fighting him again?"

Lina face-faulted."YOU DON'T REMEMBER??"She screamed, pulling his hair."How can you just remember those little bits and not the rest?!"

The swordsman shrugged."I dunno Lina, but do you think my magic idea will work?"

"We can give it a try."Lina said smiling."Don't worry, we'll beat him like we always beat the bad guy, ne? Even though before we at least had Zel and Amelia "She finished a little less happily.

"I think we'll get him Lina, if anyone can do this, it's you."Gourry said proudly."we'll get him!"

Mage stood at the end of the forest, his red cape blowing in the wind. He knew he'd get those nuances, it was only a matter of time now. They would die, specially that man with the Sword of Light he told himself as he touched his now healed shoulder. If he wasn't so quick he knew he wouldn't be standing there now. He pulled his hood back over his head. Their time for punishment was NOW!

Lina covered Gourry's mouth with her small hand. She knew she had heard something. She stood up, and as she looked at her partner who was also now standing. As she looked up in a branch on a tree she saw a hooded figure.

"Now is your time to pay!" the evil sorcerer exclaimed."You will die slowly, I promise. If you thought waiting was hell, wait till you feel the pain!"He flashed an evil smile."Freeze Arrow!" He screamed, letting his spell loose as he teleported.

The small sorceress rolled to the side as she caught Mage out of the corner of her eye."Fire Ball!"She screamed, aiming at the dark stranger. She cursed under her breath as he yet again teleported away.

" You coward!" Gourry hissed angrily."Lets fight one on one! Or are you scared you might just lose?"He said, his voice filled with confident.

"Oh! So you think you can win with just your sword?" He let out a loud laugh."What a joke. Alright young man, lets fight 'one on one', but don't be sorry when you watch this girl die!"He grinned as he pointed to Lina, who in turn stood her ground, and gave him the finger.

Gourry looked at her, and she winked. He knew he had to do this, or they might die. No! Lina might die! He told himself as anger started to rise. He pulled out his Sword of Light, as he growled "LIGHT COME FORTH!"He screamed."Come on, what are you waiting for?"

Mage started to chant, as his eyes narrowed."Mega Brando!"He yelled as he let his spell fly. "Ha! That'll teach you power!"He said, touching his shoulder. Then he looked up, horrified.

Gourry flew through the smoke of hi spell as Lina cast Dragon Slave on his sword. As it flew through Mage's skin, he screamed, painfully. But to Gourry's surprise, Mage put up a shield, making the swordsman fly back. Gourry cursed under his breath as Mage looked at him, full of hate, holding his side. Blood hung loosely at the side of Gourry's mouth, but he didn't care. All he knew was that he'd kill the bastard. He didn't deserve to see the light of day. What he did to both Lina and Umi made him mad .Gourry gripped his sword tightly, then stood up and ran for the shield.

The red haired sorceress jumped Gourry, and he flew forward."GOURRY NO BAKA!"She screamed at him, sitting on his back."Don't you know by hitting that shield you'll just hurt yourself more?!"She frowned."Gourry, let me do some of this. I'll try breaking the shield, then you can go for it, doesn't look that strong." She got off his back, and started chanting Dragon Slave. Meanwhile Gourry stood up.

Looking at Mage with blazing eyes, his face grew stern."What's your problem?"He screamed."How can you hurt someone like Umi? She loved you! How can you hurt someone who loves you so much?!" He grinded his teeth when Mage started throwing what looked like many small jagged piece of ice at him."And I can't forgive what you did to Lina But I think she'd like to tell you herself "He looked at Lina and winked.

"DRAGON SLAVE!"Lina finished. She breathed heavily as her long, orange-red hair fell in her face. As she pulled it back, she smiled to see it had worked.

Gourry quickly ran to Mage, the Sword of Light out. He shoved it into his chest, screaming angrily."This is for Umi."He said, surprisingly quiet as he pushed his sword a little deeper ,he heard Mage gasp. His eyes narrowed."this is for Lina "he pushed his sword in even further. He saw blood come out from Mage's mouth."And this Is cause you're a pain in the ass to kill!"He screamed, and shoved it straight through his heart.

Lina ran to the blonde swordsman as he fell to his knees."Gourry?"She said, worry filling her voice. She smiled when he looked at her, and she got ready to cast a healing spell. She fell back as she saw Gourry sit up, then his lips met hers.

Gourry kissed her. He figured the pain she'd give him wasn't anymore than what he was feeling now. Surprisingly, he felt arms wrap around his neck. As their kiss broke, he looked into her eyes. They were full of sadness, happiness, and just plain worry.

Why did she kiss him back? She asked herself. As she looked back into his eyes she blushed deeply. She was confused at how safe she felt. As she looked over to Mage's still form, she saw something lay next to him. In curiosity she stood up, walked over, and picked it up. It was a very old locket, but very pretty. She opened it, she saw something unexpected. A picture of Umi. She frowned as she looked at Gourry."Lets get you healed then go back to Umi."She said, and smiled as he agreed.

Umi swam back to shore as she saw two figures walk to the sandy beach. As she saw their faces, she knew what was needed was done.

Lina bent down to the mermaid, gently handing her the locket."Gomen nasai I saw this fall next to him. He's gone now, so your kingdoms avenged."She said, standing back up.

As Umi looked at the locket, tears filled her eyes."Lina, thank you, thank you so much "She said quietly, cradling the locket.

Lina smiled nervously, wondering if she should ask for her payment."Uhh Umi, not to be rude but I need some cash to"

The brown haired mermaid just nodded, and swam back up, she had a small bag of coins."Here, for your good work, "she said.

Lina took the small bag and Gourry nodded."Thanks Umi, by the way, where's the docks? We need to get home!"

Umi smiled weakly."You have reservations on a nice ship, it's that way."She said, pointing."Have a nice trip, I'll never forget you." She said, her voice cracking She looked at the two, then dove away, to the safety of the sea.

As Lina and Gourry walked to the docks, Gourry looked down and blushed."Hey Lina I was wondering' - "

"Hm?"Asked Lina, tilting her head.

The sky began to darken as the sunset behind them.

"I was wondering' if ya wanna get married or something. We're together all the time anyway."He pulled out the Sword of Light."And that way the Sword of Light can be in both families!"

Lina blushed a bright red. She didn't know what to say. She'd get the Sword of Light and she loved him She loved him? Oh this needed some getting used to. "Uhh..okay..but don't expect me to be makin' you dinner or nothin'!"

Gourry grinned."I never wanted you too. I like you better how you are. Why would I want you to change?"

Lina giggled nervously."Okay, but only cause you said you didn't expect anything from me," she smiled happily, she knew she'd always feel safe, and never had to worry about him leaving again.


Onward   |   Fanfiction