Part Five


Atlas City was by no means a tiny, uneventful, suburb. God only knows, a person could get lost unless they were fully aware of each little side street and alley way...that's not even counting the numerous taverns...and criminals. All about there were the sounds of a bustling market place, in one corner an old woman screeching out prophecies of doom at the top of her aged lungs...if the eyes strayed a little to the left a fisherman was proudly showing off the day's catch. Zelgadiss sighed in utter frustration as he brushed by yet another eager vendor, dismissing their attempts to sell their wares with a rude grunt. Normally he was more polite, (as everyone had to make their living in some fashion or another) but today he was neither happy...nor had the time to waste with such pleasantry.

Lina and the others would catch up soon enough (and Lina would probably blister his ears off for leaving the group again). He had hoped to find Ameria before then, and finally discuss what had happened 6 years past (more like apologize but hey we're talking about Zelgadiss here!). Reluctantly he paused to purchase a flask filled with chilled spring water, and after paying, he commenced walking once more. His keen eyes picked over the crowd as he wove a careful path through the chaotic mob, avoiding ditches and equally undesirable refuse left to rot in the road.

The stone chimera startled as a bold horse snuffled next to him and attempted to bite his cloak. "Hiyuh bad horse!" A deep voice scolded, obviously the irate master, and the wayward animal was settled down. Zelgadiss sighed, a heavy sense of melancholy pervading his soul at the futility of his search. Why did his life have to be so...twisted? He quirked a stony brow, silently appraising the figure approaching who seemed to be having as much trouble this morning as he was.

Garbed in snow-white robes, the elegantly sewn fabric designed into the outfit of a Priest or Shrine Maid. Trimmed by gold thread, the sleeves hung to the wrists and brushed against beige leather gloves. Metal brushing metal resounded in a choir of steel as the priest's nodachi contacted with the earthen street. A voluminous cloak secured at the throat by a thick chain and two twin brooches (with the funky fabric hanging from the jeweled brooches - a la Sylfiel). Zelgadiss could see that a braided rope served as a makeshift belt, from that hung a pouch (filled with god only knows what) and a palm sized golden dragon.

A group of unsavory looking men had gathered about the figure clothed in expensive cloth, yet the Priest pressed on ignoring their interest. They circled their poor target in a manner similar to a pack of hungry wolves...still the clergy member shrugged their presence aside, much to Zelgadiss's amazement. The chimera quickened his pace, in the mind frame to halt this harassment. Then some how, one of the more bold bandits pulled the travelers hood back...and the person's features were revealed. At that, moment...Zelgadiss could not breathe...could not think...in fact he was frozen in mid-stride! Clear sky-blue orbs assessed the cutthroats with an air of infinite patience, those incredible depths filled with maturity gained through years of knowledge and experience. Though he would not admit it, Zelgadiss found himself relived to see that the old innocence was present, and sparkled in her eyes like finely cut gems.

The men halted for the barest of seconds momentarily stunned by the discovery of such a beautiful young woman...then they began another type of assault...one that set Zelgadiss's blood on fire. Dirty and eye-patched, one of the thieves who sported many a piercing (earrings/body gear), attempted to grab her chest. He heard her sigh softly in annoyance and then in a lilting voice she murmured.

"You of impure intent, submit to my will...and do as I command."

As if all obeying some silent order, the brigands turned in a full circle and stumbled away although, if one was to look at their expressions...they were glassy, almost as if possessed by a higher force or ruler. Zelgadiss licked suddenly parched lips and whispered in a rough voice:

"A-Ame?"

Her gaze was drawn to his, and he saw a flicker of recognition...followed by a sudden smile. She shifted, looking to him with childish longing...unsure if she could believe the sight of him before her. The chimera opened his arms a bit, not exactly sure as to what he was asking of her, but knowing with utmost certainty that he would be crushed if she rejected his offer. Ameria choked back a sob, and threw herself into his waiting arms. For a while she hugged him tightly, trying to stop the sudden tears that clouded her vision...desperate to regain her equilibrium. "Ame...oh Ame..." He seemed unable to say anything else. How could he possibly apologize, he was having problems keeping his own composure together! He had to redeem himself; he had to some how make things right again.

"I...I am so sorry...gods I was such a bastard." The words were thick and sluggishly muttered into her abundance of sweet smelling tresses. I am sorry. Repeatedly he couldn't say the phrase enough...and possibly never would be able to make up for all the hell he caused (in his mind at least). She pulled away, cautiously gazing into his face as if to gauge the truth. He felt hurt by the reaction, but it was to be expected. It would take a long time, if ever, to re-establish any friendship or trust between them. Slowly - the sight made him ache even more with regret - a smile curved her lips.

"I missed you." She said simply, regretfully stepping back a couple of feet.

"Guys!" Lina huffed, her appearance most untimely but this is Lina after all, as she jogged over to the pair. A very sleepy looking Gourry, an irate (and STILL blushing) Phiria, and the ever-cheerful Xellos followed her. "Ameria! Oh Ameria! Hi!" In a most un-Lina like fashion, she hugged Ameria for all she was worth. "We looked all over for you!"

"Why don't we go to an in and catch up on old times Miss Lina." Xellos suggested gently.

"Good idea! What we all need is a BIG meal!"


Part 6   |   Fanfiction