Chapter 2


Filia hummed quietly as she worked in the back room of her shop. She smiled as she thought about how pleasant it felt to be settled down. Taking care of Val was pure joy. She loved the feeling of being a mother. Yet, a lonely feeling nagged at the back of her mind. Sure, she had Val, Jiras, and Grabos; but, she took care of all of them like a mother. Subconsciously, she wanted someone to take care of her.

Anyway, she thoroughly enjoyed being in business for herself. Pottery and maces were her two areas of expertise, besides tea.

"Maybe, I could set up a tea shop, as well," Filia absently thought as she dusted some vases she had made.

Suddenly, the bell on the door jangled and signaled the entrance of a new customer. Filia looked up, startled out of her thoughts. Jiras, busy polishing maces on the other side of the room, smiled and said, "Don't worry about it, big sis! I'll go help them!"

Filia nodded and watched him scamper out to the salesroom. She sighed and resisted the urge to roll her eyes. 'How many times have I told him, I'm not his "big sis"?' she wondered.

She was just moving on to dust the next vase when Jiras ran back in and announced, "Big sis! Some guy is here and wants to talk to you!" Filia twitched as she fought the urge to snap at Jiras that she was not his "big sis." She finally settled for taking a deep, calming breath.

"I wonder who that could be," she murmured. Shrugging, she walked out onto the main floor of her shop. She was met with the sight of a purple-haired, rather tall man with a ruby-tipped staff examining some of her vases. His back was to her, but she had seen him before and instantly recognized him for who he was.

"Namagomi!" she shrieked, pulling out her trusty mace and holding it over her head. The man -- or rather, Mazoku -- fought off a sweatdrop as he whirled around to smile at the enraged Filia.

"Ah, Filia dear, how have you been?" Xelloss cheerfully asked. His thoughts, however, were along the lines of, Shit. Off to a bad start already.

"Don't you dare 'Filia dear' me, Namagomi," Filia snarled in response. She didn't lower her fighting stance at all.

Xelloss nervously rubbed the back of his head. "Filia? I'm not here to fight you or threaten you. You don't have to prepare an attack or anything."

Filia lowered her mace a little, curiosity piqued. "Then, why are you here? Don't tell me you're here just for a friendly chat. I know how you Namagomi Mazoku are. You never do anything that doesn't further your evil schemes."

"Actually...," Xelloss started.

"Wait!" Filia screeched. "You're here to kidnap Val for your Master, aren't you, Namagomi?!" She hefted her mace back up, above her head, ready to kill (or, at least, maim). "Well, you'll never take him while I'm around! I'll kill you if you make the slightest move toward him! Namagomi!"

Filia..., Xelloss inwardly sighed. This wasn't going well, at all. His throat tightened. How was he ever going to explain to Filia that he just wanted to see how she was, ask her how she was? He felt like screaming his frustration, but quickly composed himself as best he could. His smiling facade remained in place, albeit a bit shakily. "Filia, could I get a word in?"

"What. Is. It. Namagomi." stated Filia through clenched teeth.

Xelloss smile twitched somewhat at Filia's constant use of "Namagomi." Giving the Dragon Maiden his classic closed-eye grin, he said, "My, my, Filia. Can't old friends even visit each other without the threat of violence (literally) hanging over their heads?"

"Who are 'old friends'?" Filia questioned suspiciously. She did, however, lower her mace to her side.

Xelloss perkily replied, "We are, of course!" He, then, thought darkly, Yeah, right. If we're 'old friends,' then that idiot swordsman friend of Lina's is really a genius. Unbeknownst to the Trickster Priest, Gourry really was a genius. He just didn't show it.

Xelloss' thoughts continued, Well, at the very least, Filia and I are old acquaintances. It would be nice, though, if we were more than that. Filia, if you could read my thoughts, you would learn the true reason for my sudden appearance. I'm here because... because I... I... I want to be with you. Damn, that's hard to admit, even to myself. How could I ever admit my feelings to her? Heh. Like she'd believe me anyway....

His thoughts were abruptly shattered as something extremely heavy connected with his head. He collapsed, face-first, to the floor.

"Ow!! What in L-sama's name was that?!" He looked up, only to see Filia and her mace above him. "Filia! What the hell was that for!?!"

"Hmph," Filia snootily replied. "You weren't answering me, so I thought I'd bring you back to reality."

"Geez, Filia, can't a guy think without being attacked? Owie." Xelloss rubbed the rapidly-disappearing bump on his head as he stood back up.

"And just what were you thinking about that was so damned important?" Filia asked/demanded.

"You wouldn't believe me, even if I told you," Xelloss muttered under his breath.

"What was that?!"

"Nothing. Well, well, I guess I'll just leave, then. I can see where I'm not welcome."

"You're damned right you're not welcome! If I ever see your face around here again, Namagomi...," Filia threatened.

"I understand," Xelloss said tightly, carefully keeping his emotions in check. "Well, good-bye, Filia." He gave Filia a small, tight smile and quickly phased out.

"Namagomi," muttered Filia. She stalked back to the storeroom, her good mood ruined.


Xelloss sat in a tree on the edge of town, sipping coffee. He was considerably calmer, now. He had just decided that a normal confrontation with Filia didn't work, as proved by their little "chat." Well, than, he would just try a slightly different approach. He finished his coffee and leaned back against the trunk of the tree. When morning came, he would start his plan.


Chapter 3   |   Fanfiction