Chapter 4


In an upstairs room of Filia's shop/home, the air shimmered, and Xelloss and Filia reappeared. Breaking out of her shock, Filia yanked her arm away from Xelloss.

"Why are you doing this, Xelloss?" Filia questioned suspiciously.

"Must there always be a reason behind my actions?" Xelloss replied lightly.

"Yes!" Filia insisted. "Everything you do fits into your schemes and your Master's plans!" Her voice grew even louder. "Answer me! Why did you send those flowers?!"

A sharp wail from across the room broke into Filia's screaming. The Dragon Maiden went instantly from 'force-the-secrets-out-of-Namagomi' mode, to 'oh-no-my-baby's-crying' mode. She scurried across the room to the crib.

"Oh, Val, shh.... Mommy's here, now, don't fret. Shh.... Mommy's sorry Namagomi woke you up. Hush, little one...."

I woke the kid up? She was the one yelling, Xelloss thought bitterly, turning his back to Filia and crossing his arms. She blames me for everything! He decided to ignore the scene behind him, but the intensity of Val's continued wailing soon proved that to be impossible. Xelloss sighed quietly, then whirled around and strode to Filia. "Here, let me try."

Filia frowned as she stroked Val's back. "Try what?" she replied, suspicion evident in her tone.

Resisting the temptation to roll his eyes, Xelloss answered, "I want to try to stop the baby from crying, of course."

"Since when do you want to help me with anything?" Filia snorted.

"Since right now!" Xelloss snapped in a fit of anger. Utilizing his Mazoku speed, he snatched the baby from Filia's arms. Reappearing in another corner of the room, he began an awkward attempt to soothe Val. What am I doing? he wondered to himself. I don't know the first thing about babies!

Filia shrieked and charged at Xelloss, mace held high. "Give me back my baby!! Or, I'll...." Xelloss quickly shushed her.

"Filia! Shh!" he whispered, a finger to his lips. "I just got him to stop crying!"

"You got Val to stop crying," the Dragon Maiden stated, lowering her mace. "How?"

"I just held him and rocked him and talked to him," Xelloss replied softly, gazing at Val and trying not to think about the strange warm feeling in his chest.

Was it just her imagination, or did she detect a hint of... wonder?... in his voice? No, no, it had to be her mind playing tricks on her! This was Namagomi, after all. Nothing could invoke wonder in scum like that!

Right?

Filia quickly shook off that shred of doubt. Now, how could she get rid of Namagomi? Suddenly, an idea dawned on her. A surefire plan to make Namagomi leave her alone, forever! Time to show that Mazoku what caring for a baby was really like....

"Come on, Xelloss," Filia stated in a tone Xelloss didn't like at all. "It's time to give Val his breakfast." With that, Filia started downstairs, not bothering to wait for Xelloss. The Dragon Maiden could barely keep a downright demented grin off her face. Oh, this was going to prove to be fun!


Chapter 5   |   Fanfiction