A Birthday to Remember


Zelgadis slowly opened his eyes, only to be greeted with the dull light that came from the sunless sky. The sun wasn't even rising yet. It was as if the clouds were giving off their own light. He slowly got out of bed. He felt slightly sick, he woke up with a headache. He went to wash his face. Nobody was awake in the inn. After he washed his face he changed into his usual clothes. He went downstairs. He saw a young woman with a vail over her face and she was in a waitress outfit. And a skirt that was decent enough to walk around with.

I thought nobody was awake... Zelgadis thought. Hmmm... early wakers I guess.

"Would you like anything sir?" the waitress asked.

"Ummm... one cup of coffee, please"

"I wouldn't recommend coffee here sir. How about some tea?" When did waitress' or waiters care what you get? Zelgadis thought.

"Whatever." Zelgadiss answered

"Coming right up!"

She walked away to the kitchen.

It won't be morning for a while... I guess I'll go over to the Library... he thought looking out the window.

"Here is your tea sir."

She handed him a tray with a small china pot and 2 empty cups. 2 empty cups?

"Umm... there are 2 cups here. I'm alone."

"Oh... I thought your wife or girl friend would be joining you." she answered.

"No... I am not married or have a girlfriend." Zelgadis said in an irrated voice.

"Oh, sorry." she apolgized

"It's alright." he waved her off.

"Why did you wake up so early? I mean are you usually an early waker?" she asked

"No it's just that it's my Bir - " he stopped there. He hated his Birthday. It was today too. He wanted to forget about it. His face turned into a sneer "It's nothing..."

"Oh... do you mind if I sit with you? I mean you're the only one that is awake. The manager is sleeping on the kitchen floor and I don't want to step on him or step over him, especially if I am wearing the rediculous skirt." she asked hopefully.

"Whatever..." Zelgadis was surprised but covered it successfully.

She sat down. He didn't know if she was smiling or frowning. Her vail covered her face.

He took a sip of his tea. It was delicious! He could taste the natual flavor weave in and out with each taste.

"Do you like the tea?" she asked

"It's alright."

The girl giggled. She started to drink her tea.

Zelgadis noticed that his headache was gone. The tea must have had a medicine in it or something.

"What does this tea have in it?" he asked curiously

"I made it myself. I comes from a secret family recipe. I won't tll anyone except my own desendents. But it heals all negitive status. Like headaches, toothaches, body aches and it might help you when you have a small cold. It's special."

"Oh. I see."

"I saw you and noticed that you had a headache. Coffee doesn't help, you know!"

Zelgadis just finished and he did feel better.

"I better get going to the Library. Good day to you ma'am." Zelgadiss said as he sat up.

"Good day to you a well!"

He walked away and opened the inn door.

"Happy Birthday Zelgadis Graywords..."

Zelgadis turned around to face the woman.

"What did you say?"

The inn was empty once again.

What the?

Zelgadis put that on the back of his head. He walked towrd the Sailune Library of Spells and Histories.

I'll be 22 today... it has been 5 years, 6 months and 28 days since I had this Chimeric Body... He thought bitterly. "And it has been 9 years, 10 months and 18 days since the distruction of my hometown..."

Zelgadis stopped and saw a tree that held a calender. Zelgadis threw the smallest Flare arrow he could at the calender. He failed. It expolded and the tree erupted into flames.

Shilfihel can do a carrot-sized Flare arrow... why can't I do it? She can learn how to do a Dragon Slave, but can't do a decent Flare arrow...how pathetic, but I should respect her even if she is terrible to Shaminism or Black Magic...


Suddenly somebody launched a fireball at Zelgadis. He looked to see who it was.


Then a woman jumped in front of Zelgadis. She was cloaked in Black and Green. She had a black cloak with Satin green Lining. Underneath she had a Fighting Dress with slits on both sides that reached the bottom of her waist. It was sleeveless. It was also Black with green lining. She was wearing shorts under her Slitted dress. She had gloves and boots that reached up to her knees. She had a hood and mask on. She was slim and had daggers on each side of her waist.

"Who are you?" Zelgadis asked cautiously and reached for the hilt of his sword.

She just reached for her daggers and pulled the out. Holding each in one hand she stood in a threatening stance. Her left hand in front of her and her right hand in back of her.

"FLARE ARROW!!" Zelgadis yelled and a stream of fire burst from his hand. Putting both hands in front of her and still holding her daggers she screamed out a spell.

"FREEZE ARROW!!" the woman yelled.

They cancelled out each other.

"Pretty good." Zelgadis smiled mocking her

"Fight me with your chosen weapon!" the woman challenged.

"Even though I don't want to hit a woman, there is no reason why I should not bend the rule a bit. Especially in a situation like this."

"Don't take me lightly! You just might regret it!" she yelled back at him.

"Hmph. I would ask that you do the same." he snarled. He hated surprise attacks as much as he hated Surprises from his friends. For good or for bad it was nearly the same.

He took out his weapon.

"Nice sword. Let's see you use it.... If you can" she mocked

"Ha! I'm just wondering if you even know how to do sword play! Don't you still have classes to take?"

The woman narrowed her eyes and charged letting out a angry roar (still feminine roar through). She did a surprise flip in the air was about to bring it. It Zelgadis's arm, but made no damage. It felt like a cat scratch to him. Zelgadis laughed and swung his sword toward her, but she gracefully flipped back.

"You don't know, but I am a Chimera." he smiled mocking her as usual

"Let's make a bet. If I win you have to tell me what I want to know, but if you win I'll tell you who I am. Deal?" She offered

"Deal." he answered.

"Let's begin!"

She held out her daggers toward him.

"Since you are a chimera... I'll use this weapon."

"ASTRAL CRESENT!"

Her daggers glowed a white light.

"Not bad... how about this."

"ASTRAL VINE!"

His sword glowed Blood red. His powers has grown in the last few months. She charged after him.

Theis swords met making sparks of red and white.

"I'm impressed."

"I told you shouldn't take me lightly. Take my word for it!"

They continued battling until...

"Mister Zelgadis! Hey you!!"

The woman stopped and so did Zelgadis.

"In the name of Justice leave Mister Zelgadis alone!" Amelia made a dramatic scene.

"Who the hell is that?" the woman asked

"Amelia........." Zelgadis sighed and his head fell down.

"Mister Zelgadis are you alright?" Amelia flipped over, making good progress until she tripped over a log.

"owww....."

"She's a total klutz!" the woman commented.

"She always was one...." he answered.

"Ha! Justice always gets back on its feet! ELMEKIA LANCE!!"

The spell flew toward the woman. She jumped out the way.

"Would you like to fight somewhere else? If you do follow me and leave that klutz behind!" the woman yelled. "LEVATATION!" she flew off.

"What? Wait!" Zelgadis flew after her.

"Mister....Zelgadis?" Amelia was left behind.

"Stay back Amelia!" he yelled while tracking the woman down.


The woman landed on a deserted meadow. She looked at where Zelgadis would land.

"Behind you." he said coldly. "Can we stop fighting and tell me what you want? I have no intention on killing somebody today."

"As you wish." the woman said after a long silence.

She walked to a nearby stream.

"Happy Birthday Zelgadis...." the woman said without looking at him.

"How did you know? Who are you?"

The woman took off her mask and her hood. She faced Zelgadis.

She had a perfect complextion. Her skin was snow white, well not that white and her eyes were a deep green and her hair matched her eyes. She was very slim, but showed she could defend herself. She was beautiful... he snapped out of his reveire

"Who are you?" he asked again.

"I can't blame you for forgeting me."

"You know who I am, but who are you? Tell me!"

"I am one of the Last Survivors of the Tai Chi Capital, the forgotten city. I am Princess Chantal of Tai Chi, the great city."

"C-Chantal?" Zelgadis stuttered. "I remember it from somewhere..." She held out her two fingers. The middle finger and pointer finger. the rest were curled up.

As if on instict he touched hers with his two fingers. It was like was sucked into a warp.

He opened his eyes. He was in a diferent scenery. He was floating above the ocean.

He was still linked with her.

"what happened?" he asked a little weary

"Zelgadis..." Chantal looked at him and smiled. "You and I are the only survivors of Tai Chi."

"We are? But there were others.." Zelgadis said a little confused.

"They all had a sickness or injury that was fatal." she had a sober face but shook it away.

"We are the last warriors Zelgadis. Be proud!"

"I thought you were dead Chantal..." Zelgadis suddenly changed the subject.

He played with Chantal all the time when they were kids but never knew she was a princess and didn't care either. They were good childhood friends. She was the only friend he had back then.

"Nope! I won't die that easily!" she still had her pride as usual.

"I looked for you so long, Zelgadis..." she blushed and so did he.

"Well, anyway even though our Hometown is sunken in the Sea of Ghosts I still have a present for you."

"I don't want it... I don't want to celebrate my Birthday." he looked away. He didn't want sound rude.

"I know you are haunted by your past... I am going to free you from it." Chantal said fiercly "You were the best friend I had and I'm going to help you!"

He blushed but hid his face.

The scenery changed. It was Tai Chi... the town of warriors. That is where the soon to be warriors are molded and thatb is where they polish their skills. It was like a training ground, but it was still a town.

"Zelgadis, your mother didn't die giving birth to you. Your father didn't mean to leave you!" Chantal said

"How do you know?"

"Your mother had to sacriface herself to save you and the town! She was still alive when she had you! She died when you were 2 years old! And your father was the General of Tai Chi! He had to leave you or he might get you into trouble! There were assasins after him and didn't want to put you in danger."

"Really?...are you lying to me?" Zelgadis couldn't believ waht he was hearing.

"I would never lie to you."

"Here is my present to you Zelgadis." she smiled

Zelgadis saw a bright light and squinted. He saw a man and a woman. The man was in a uniform with a big smile on his face. The woman was in a white dress the went down to her feet. She was smiling and in tears.

"Who are you?..." he asked stunned.

"Zelgadis we are your parents." the woman said smiling and started to sob.

"That's right my boy!"

"I can't believe this..."

"the Princess helped us. She is right. The way you think we died wasn't that way at all." the woman said she ran to Zelgadis and hugged him. Zelgadis's arm felt weak but had enough power to hug her. He closed his eyes tight.

"You became such a handsome man!"

What? He looked at his hands he was human again!

"We have to be going Amethyst." the man said sadly he looked faint..like a ghost. Oh yeah... they were dead.

"I am very proud of you Zelgadis! Take care of the Princess!" the man patted him on the back. The woman let go.

"We love you Zelgadis!" the woman said and lifted up a hand. He reached to hold it but his hand went right through it.

"Good-bye, mother...father..." he hung his head down and fought back the tears."Good-bye..."

He opened his eyes and Chantal's eyes fluttered open.

"Hi...." she smilied

"Hi...." he said sadly "Thank you Chantal.

"Come on..Let's go back." Chantal let go of Zelgadis's touch and the scenery changed. They were back at the meadow.

"That was one of the best presents I got...." he smiled at her.

"I always knew what to get you!" she smiled back.

"I have one more present to give you." she said.

She stuck her dagger his heart and twisted it once. He gasped. His eyes wide in surprise.

"Don't worry Zelgadis..." she said and he blacked out.


when Zelgadis opened his eyes he was on a bed. He looked around, he was kind of sore. He was in a small house. He saw Chantal walk up to him.

"Zelgadis! You're awake! Thank goodness!" Chantal ran over to him.

"...Why?" he couldn't really talk.

"This is why." she held up a mirror to him. He saw his refection. He didn't see his stone skin... He was human..........HE WAS HUMAN!! He tried to jump up but his chest hurt.

"Sorry.. that was the only way I could turn you into a human again. When Rezo died your father hunted him down in the Astral planes and choked his own father to give you a cure. Your father told me and I had to do it ... if not then I couldn't give you your parents' present. That was their gift to you." Zelgadis was speechless.

"Thank you Chantal."

"Here drink this." she gave him some hot tea. His chest pain disappeared ... oh yeah... the secret tea is a healing medicine.

He got up. He didn't have his shirt on...

"Oh,...sorry. I couldn't heal you or bandage you up if you had your shirt on..." she blushed

"It's alright."

I knew he would grow up cute Chantal thought to herself What am I thinking? Stop it!

She had feeling for him even when they were kids...

She looks so beautiful...she probably likes somebody else...just stop thinking!! he mentally slapped himself

I might as well try... maybe there is a chance.. she looked at Zelgadis and smiled.

"Hey Zelgadis... do you have anything to do tonight? I can make a pretty good meal...


Fanfiction