Chapter 5: No! Blood Is Thicker Than Water!


"Lina-san..." Xellos began.

FIREBALL!!!

Xellos smoothly walked out of the way of the fireball. It made a rather spectacular crash with a boulder behind him. "Where are we..., " Xellos quickly fall onto ground as a shower of pebbles flew into the air.

Lina, for once, followed Xellos's example. But as soon as the danger of getting stoned was over, she got up, turned around and kept walking.

"... going." Xellos finished. Looking up, he saw Lina walking in the distance. It doesn't look like Lina-chan has forgiven him for not helping her with the dishes. Xellos smiled. That touch with waking up just after she finished the dishes was very artistic, he thought with amusement. Which is probably why Lina-chan fireballs him every time he opens his mouth. Some people have no tolerance for a little teasing. Xellos smiled. Which makes the game all the more interesting!

The drowsy sun finally began raise. It's warm ray first peeking from behind the mountain ranges and then setting the mountains on fire. Rather like Lina-chan's eyes when she's furious actually.

Opening his eyes to gaze at the sun, Xellos smiled broader. Today is going to be a pleasant day. "Lina-chan! Wait for me!" Xellos yelled as he ran to catch up her.

DILL BRANDO!

"Lina-chan, " Xellos asked after dodging her spell. Wagging his forefinger at the ticked off sorceress, he replied, "my, my, my, aren't we in a bad mood this fine morning?"

Lina's expression turned from angry to rage in the blink of an instant.

FIREBALL! FIREBALL! FIREBALL!

"Your aim is off," Xellos replied cheerfully to Lina's 'reply' as he effortlessly dodged every single attack.

"Arggggg."

"What was that, Lina-chan?" Xellos asked with exaggerated concern. "Is my poor little Lina-chan sick?" Putting his arms around her shoulders, he hugged her affectionately. "I'll make you feel all better. After I'm your baby-sitter." Xellos whispered into her right ear.

"Pervert!" Lina cried out; her eyes aflame with barely suppressed anger. Grabbing his arms, she threw him onto the ground in front of her with a loud thump.

"Ouchie, " Xellos whined slyly. "Little girls shouldn't..."

DIGGER VOLT!

Lina ran a few steps away from Xellos before turning back to face with a wicked little smirk on her face.

"... be so rou...."

EXPLOSION AWAY!!!

"...ghhhhhhhhhhhhhh." Xellos ended as he flew into the red sky well toasted. Maybe it wasn't such a great idea to tease her after all.... He thought as he came crashing back down.

Lina glared at Tiny for good measure. Turning her back on him, she stumped off deeper into the floor muttering to herself about the pranks children are playing these days. Of course, it never occurred to Lina that it would apply to her as well since she is child too - or at least she look like one....


Zelas huffed and puffed with effort as she dragged her feet after Luna-chan. She made a particularly pathetic little whine that always got on Luna-chan's nerves. Luna stopped for a second to turn and look at Zelas. Although Zelas carrying a small bag across her shoulders, she acted like she was carrying a mountain on her back. "Quit it, Zelas." She snapped. I know you don't feel the weight of all those stuff so stop acting like it.

Zelas immediately straightened and turned watery eyes toward Luna-chan. "But...but...I haven't had any wine!" She wailed. Clutching her hands as if she was holding something, "and... and... you've forbidden me to smoke my pipe." Throwing herself at Luna-chan's feet, she cried, "I'm dying! Give wiiiiine!! Smoke!! PLEASE!!!!!!"

Luna sweat dropped. She drank over 50 bottles of wine and has been smoking non-stop all yesterday and she still need more???

"Oh! The cruelty that stabs my beating heart!" Zelas stood up with her hands clasped over her heart - or where a human's heart would be - and shouted at the sky. "The injustice! The pain. The ...."

"Enough already Zelas, " Luna interrupted.

"... shame! The unfairness of it all, the..." Zelas ignored Luna's words.

"Zelas." Luna said slowly - dangerously.

Dramatically striking a pose who each phrase, Zelas continued, "...fates, the heartlessness, the inmazoku (1) ways, the...."

DILL BRANDO!!!

"Itai." Zelas said as she coughed out smoke after a short greeting with the sun, moon, and the stars.

"I get the point. We'll stop by the Gambler's Haven on our way, all right?" Luna placated.

"Really???" Zelas jumped up to her feet and beamed. There was no sign of her 'encounter' with fire as she smiled happily at Luna-chan. "Haven here I come!" She shouted as she ran toward a large brick structure a few feet to their left with a glowing picture of dice near its front.

"But we should hurry." Luna barely had the first word before Zelas disappeared into the building. She signed. She knew it was a bad idea to head for Nyicon City.

A city famed for having the biggest and most extravagant gambling facility within the barrier. And I came here with Zelas ... Luna grimaced. I was just asking for trouble. I just hope she wouldn't blow up anything in while we're here. Luna paused in her musing. This is ZELAS I'm talking about! Glazing around the city, she hoped they had a good carpenters, stonemason and such. They're going to need it soon...very soon.

Signing heaving, Luna walked past Haven to go tot he other nearest tavern and gather some more information. I wonder if any of this has to do with the Clair Bible I had .... On the other hand, they needed to get to Atlas City fast, and it was the most direct route. I hope not. That spell has too many consequences ... and not all of it good.


"Boss! Boss!" A bandit yelled as he shakily pointed at something in the sudden eruption of smoke in the middle of their headquarters. "It's... "

"Who is it?"

"It's... it's...."

FLARE ARROW!

"Lina the bandit killer!" The shout echoed from several bandits as the smoke screen cleared to reveal a very happy Lina.

"Heehehe." Lina grinned as she prepared another spell.

"Boss what do we do?" The first bandit cried out to a slim young man.

"Would you like some tea, miss bandit killer?" The young man asked politely.

"Errr." Lina and the bandit both sweat dropped.

Letting the spell disappear, Lina asked, "Err...do I know you?" I'm afraid to ask. I can't possibility know an idiot like him!

"Of course, miss bandit killer!" The 'Boss' said enthusiastically. "I'm the nephew of Uncle Herbert, the King of the Dagger Bandits!"

"Could we cut out with the 'miss bandit killer stuff'?" Lina asked. She was getting a headache from the 'Boss's' attitude. He must have been one that Amy toasted. I don't remember him at all.

"I'm so proud that Uncle Herbert chose me - me can you believe that? - of all of his nephews to take over his job as the leader of this band of merry man!" the boy continued as he wiped the tears of happiness from his eyes. "Uncle Herbert is finally with his beloved wife again. I'm so happy! What Auntie and Uncle have is truly precious. I can only hope I will find someone as special to me someday!"

"..." This guy is either nutz or really dumb.

The surrounding bandit were too stunned to speak or even attack as they stared at their 'Boss'.

"But since Uncle didn't want to leave Auntie's side for even a second, I agreed to come here and take over. " He chattered obliviously on. "Now I just wait here while sympathetic travelers come and donate money and valuables to this place! Isn't that kind of them?"

"..." Lina stared unbelievably at the 'Boss'. "You never went on these 'charity collecting' trips did you?"

"Of course not!" The young man replied cheerfully. "My Uncle's people know what to do. They're so loyal!" Another tear of happiness ran down his cheeks.

"...." Collective sweat drops from the entire group except the 'Boss'.


"Lina!" Xellos yelled into the forest. Where is she? "Lina-chan! Stop playing hide-and-seek with your sitter-san!" Where could she have gone?

BOOM!

Aha! Xellos smiled. "So you're there!" In a blink of eye, he was gone.

Lina quickly scooped handfuls of gold coins, jewels, and other valuable items into little bags, pausing occasionally to decided which item to she should taken - hum, I mean borrow. Amy's suggestion has worked very well.

"Lina-chan!"

Lina scowled. Him again.

"Lina-ch...."

FIREBALL!!

"...an." Tiny concluded before dropping onto the group burnt like the rest of the Dagger Bandits.

Lina continued to bag the treasure and mentally figuring how much each piece could be sold.


Zelas ran excitedly into Heaven. I've heard a lot about this place. Xel-kun said it's absolutely bursting with corruption, deceit, and greed. The perfect snacking spot! But I'll need to change. She grinned with anticipation.

A brilliant light surrounded the front door of Gambit's Haven, as if the sun has suddenly landed in front of the door. The people within paused to stare at the unexpected event. The doors slowly opened by itself, almost blinding the people within the dimly lit room with the brilliance of sunlight.

A foot stepped inside. Followed by the slim body and beautiful face. A pale hand lightly rested on handle of the left door. The woman was breath-takenly beautiful. Her golden hair seemed to shine even brighter than the sunlight surrounding her slim figure. Her sapphire eyes shine with an inner light - distinguishable even with the blinking halo surrounding her. She wore an expansive silk dress than showed off her long legs while gold and silver bugles dangled on her wrists and feet. She was slowly puffing on her oak pipe with a predatory look in her eyes, her blood red lips curved slightly in a smile as she surveyed a roomful of tasty snacks.

In short, she's keeping the doors from closing. "You're blocking the door!" Someone shouted angrily. "Close it or leave!"

"WHAT!?" Zelas sputtered. "What do you mean close the door?"

"Don't you have any ears wench?" The same guy shouted from behind the wine counter.

Wench!? Zelas scowled. Several men within the room signed lustfully at her expression. "Who are you to tell me what to do!?"

"I'm the owner! That's who!" The owner shouted, his face very angry. "And little girl!"

"Little girl?" Zelas repeated slowly to herself. With each syllable, power gathered around her.

"You. " He pointed his forefinger at Zelas. "Little girl in the white dress. You should stay at home, not play grownup with mommy's clothes and makeup!"


"Is that human drunk again, Angest?" One of the gamblers asked his companion.

"He's always drunk," Angest replied. " I win," He placed a card down and pulled the money to his side of the table.

"Argggg. I lost again?"


"Playing DRESS UP!?" Zelas repeated angrily as the red aura around her swelled in size. "Do I like a child to you!?" Zelas shouted as she gestured to herself.

"Of course!" The man boldly shouted.

It was the last thing he heard. Well, not counting the gigantic explosion of course. What explosion? This one.

DRAGU SLAV!


"Lina-chan." Tiny asked. "Don't you know that stealing is bad?"

"Quit complaining, Tiny and get moving."

"But this stuff is heavy! And it isn't mine so why should I have to carry it?" Tiny whined.

"You want to eat tonight don't you?" Lina treaded ahead with Tiny following reluctantly.

"Well, yea but ..."

"Then quick complaining or I'm not buying you food tonight."

Tiny mumbled something unpleasant under his breath.

"What was that?" Lina asked as she turned to face him.

"Nothing." Tiny replied stonily.

Silence. Lina turned and walked onwards.

A few seconds, Tiny finally said. "Humans workers get paid 8 coppers per pound of stuff they carry for 1 mile ne?"

"Yes, but does that have to do with..." Lina stopped to turn and look at Tiny in puzzlement.

Tiny stopped walking and stood in front of Lina. "It's about 3 miles to Nyicon City, ne?"

Lina stared at Tiny uncertainly. "Yes... where are you going with this conversation? "

"This bag is roughly...oh, I'll just charge you 3 gold pieces for carrying this bag to Nyicon City, all right?"

"Yes...I mean no!" Lina cried out from her puzzled stupor.

"You said yes first!" Tiny proclaimed triumphantly as he held the bag of treasure more tightly.

"But you caught me off guard!"

"So what? I want my 3 gold pieces when we get to Nyicon City."

"I'm not paying you to do your share of the work!" Lina retorted. (Chibi-Lina glares and adds "What a skinflint!")

Tiny, however, was not going to let this pass. "What do you mean 'my share of the work'? Looking after a runt like you is more than my 'share of the work'! "

"What did you call me!?" Lina hollered as her eyes began to burn.

"Runt!" Tiny shouted right into her face.

"Arggg. FIRE - "

"You're melt your treasure too you know." Tiny reminded her smugly.

(Chibi-Lina screaming, "No!!!!!!! Not my treasure!") "Argggggg." I will never let anyone else carry the treasure next time! Lina swore to herself.

Glazing at Lina with amusement now that he had an edge, Tiny said, "You certainly don't take anger very well, do you little girl?"

"Who are you calling little, Tiny!"

Tiny!? "Hey! Take that back! I'm not Tiny, brat!"

"Why you...you...pint-sized child!" Lina retorted.

"What did you say...! This is war!" Xellos took a deep breath, smiled smugly, and sang in a loud but off-beat voice, "Little girl, little breasts, scared a dragon from his nest!"

"That ain't true!"

"You denied it! It's a classical response to something you know is true but you don't care to admit it!"

"Ha! If that's the way you play, then I'll...." Lina mimicked Tiny's voice adding a decidedly whining quality to it and sang, "Little child, little brains, scared of demons from his dreams!"

"I would never... I'm NEVER afraid. Never! Never! Never!" Tiny cried out as he stomped his foot onto the ground with each word.

Covering her ears with her hands, Lina cried out to herself. "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I can't hear anything! Can't hear nothing!"

"NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!"

"Hear nothing! Nothing at all!"

"That's cowardly! Unplug your ears now!" Tiny dropped the bad off his shoulders and threw himself on Lina to try and pry her hands while shouting into her ears, "NEVER! NEVER!"

"GET OFF ME, YOU PERVERT!!" Lina took her hands from her ears and threw Tiny as far as she could away from her. "FIREBALL!" And just as Tiny dodged the fireball, she quickly yelled, "MEGA BRANDO!"

"Nevvvvvvvvvvvvv, " Tiny cried as he flew up into the air slightly toasted. "Errrrrrrrrrrrrr!!" He finished as he hit the ground face down. Although he was in extreme pain by this point, he still had enough energy to raise his head and loudly proclaim, "Little runt!"

"What...?" Lina said shocked but just as quickly got her wits back. Flying to the branch of a tree a few feet away, she landed on an old limb. Ignoring her precocious location, Lina began to chant softly.

"Stick! Child!" Tiny continued to shout from his position on ground, not noticing what Lina was doing. He did notice when he felt a tremendous power begin to build up however. "...what?" His eye's widened as he recognized the spell as one of his mother's favorite human spell. How did the little sister of the Cephied Knight learn that spell!? But by then it was too late.

Opening her eyes and smiling impishly, Lina cried out, "DRAGU SLAV!!!"

The area around Tiny get KA-BOOM, and Lina went THUMP as she fell off the tree due to the force of the blast that came surging through her hands. Even enough Tiny has toasted to a nice, crisp brown, Lina could not help but blush furiously.

"That was stupid." Tiny choked out.

"Oh, be quiet!" Lina shouted with annoyance. Doesn't any spell hurt him? Maybe that spell will but ... . No matter, I'll get just leave him here. "Bye, Tiny!" Lina chirped as she grabbed her treasure and walked away knowing fully well that Tiny couldn't follow her in his current condition.

"Wait!" Tiny cried out as he struggled to his feet only to fell down again. "Don't forget about me!!!"

Lina ignored Tiny and continued onward. It's turning out to be a nice day after all.


Luna was sipping some of Nyicon City's famous Blue Barb Tea when the whole city exploded. Strangely enough, the building surrounding the Gambler's Haven stayed intact during the explosive but a second later... fell to pieces.

Which is exactly what happened to the tavern Luna was in. She could clearly see a VERY angry Zelas standing in the burnt foundation of the formerly famous Haven. She was untouched by the explosion or the debris following it. In the air, are about, oh forty or so, gamblers - 90% of who were begging for their mommy.

Amazing how similar those filthy humans are like the Dagger bandits I took out, Zelas with a little surprise. And here I thought they may actually behave differently, she thought with disgust. Scanning the wreckage, Zelas finally spotted a indifferent Luna sitting in what used to be a tavern 3 stores to the right of Haven. The other customers were fleeing for their lives.

"Luna-chan!" Zelas waved. She promptly disappeared and reappeared - in her traveling clothes now - beside Luna. "Did you order any wine for me, Luna-chan?" Zelas begged sweetly.

"I thought you said you were going to rest for a few days?" Luna asked.

"Well... it was a matter of life or death so...." Zelas shrugged. "Now about the wine?"

Luna wordlessly handled the bottles of wine she had ordered earlier to Zelas. She wasn't the least surprised by the crater smack dab in the center of Nyicon City. It was Zelas's favorite spell since the Demon King of the North had created the spell. Zelas's one true love but of course you'll never get her to admit that, Luna thought with amusement.

"Zephilia wine! Ahhhhhhhhh!" Zelas happily hugged the bottle. "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!" Heart symbols appear all around her.

Luna said nothing. She continued to drink her tea while Zelas was busy gulping down her wine in the ruins of a city. They were both tired and the little excitement was rather entertaining.


From the sky, the gamblers finally landed - hard. Angest shifted into the Astral Plane at the last second so as not to meet the fate of his companion who - being a relatively naïve Mazoku - chose to land face down on the ground. Angest sweat dropped. Even humans try to land on their feet.

Dragging his companion onto his feet. Angest said, "Let's go. We have inform Gaav-sama about this." With a slight black ripple, they were both gone.

The 'owner of Haven' landed with a thump on the spot where the two Mazoku disappeared. "D tu angles err bak... (2)" The drunkard said to himself even as he fall asleep from all the excitement.


"Hurry up, Tiny! Nyicon City is just up ahead!"

"My name is not Tiny."

"I'm HUNGRY! If I don't get something to eat soon, I'll die of hunger! So HURRY, Tiny."

"For the last time, my name is NOT Tiny!" Lina turned to look at Tiny still slightly burnt from the events earlier in the day.

"Then what is it?"

"It's X...." Just in time, Xellos remembered his current form. NO one must know who he really is. I'll die of shame if anyone else founds out. He bitterly remembered Luna-chan's reaction when she saw him in this form. It was the first time he had seen her laugh. And apparently, it's was mother's first time too because mother had such a shocked look on her face that it was almost worth the embarrassment. Almost. "...err... tiny."

"Sertiny?" Lina asked questioningly.

Xellos nodded. It's as good a name as any.

"OK, I'll call you Tiny for short."

"WHAT!?" How did she manage to twist that!? "Now look here, little girl, I don't have to put up with this!"

"Who're you to call me a little girl!?" Lina shouted, enraged.

"Because. You. are. a. little. girl!"

"Why you!" Lina cried out speechless with rage.

FLARE ARROW!

Xellos dodged the attack by shifting into the Astral Plane. His mind clouded by anger, he spoke the first human spell that came into mind.

GAAV FLARE!

"What?" Stunned by the realization that Tiny not only can do magic but very powerful magic, Lina frozen in place.

SHE IS THE DIRECT LINE OF THE FIRE! Xellos realized suddenly. "Move!"

Lina remained frozen - her eyes fixed on the death hurling toward her.

Mother will kill me if Lina-chan dies! Xellos thought worriedly. No, that would be just after Luna-chan is finished taking it out on my hide. He corrected himself. Quickly, phasing behind Lina, Xellos grabbed her. They phased out seconds before the Gaav Flare hit the ground where Lina once stood.

A safe distance away, Lina and Xellos appeared. "Stupid girl. Can't even protect herself from such a simple spell. No wonder mother ordered me to protect her during this trip." He muttered to himself.

"Really?" Lina asked delighted.

"Ergggg." Xellos filched. He had forgotten Lina was still in his arms and thus, heard every word. Surely, she wouldn't use that again me .... Xellos thought trailed off as he heard Lina's low chuckle.

"So you have to protect me no matter what, ne?" Turning toward Tiny, Lina smiled.

"Heehee. Did I forget to tell you?" Xellos asked as he nervously rubbed the back of his head.

"No. You didn't." Lina smiled even more broadly. "But I do now."

Xellos gulped. He got the feeling that he was in BIG trouble. Also, there was this strange feeling that told him to run out of there as quickly as possible. But he doesn't recall ever feeling that emotion - that... that yes, fear before.... What's wrong with my emotions?


"Wiiiiiiiiiiiine!!"

"Zelas, we should leave here now. We need to get to Atlas City. The person who told me he saw the sorcerer left Zephilia to live with his aunt's family in Atlas City."

"Wiiiiiiiiiiiine! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!"

"Zelas, we have to keep looking!"

"Wiiiiiiiiiiiine!!!"

"Don't make me do this Zelas..."

"Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...."

DILL BRANDO!

"Ahhhh!" Zelas screamed as she flew into the air. Unfortunately, her wine bottle had separated from during the trip up, and it was now falling. Zelas struggled to catch it but...

PIN!

THUMP!

The glass shattered on the ground followed by the landing - on her face no less - of a very unhappy Mazoku Lord. "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine! My poor little wine bottle! Do you have any wine left in you?"

"Zelas!" Luna grabbed the Mazoku by her collar and dragged her away from the fallen wine bottle. "We're leaving!"

"But..." Zelas struggled to reach the wine bottle with her hands even as Luna tightened her grip on her collar. "My wiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnne!" She screamed as Luna dragged her screaming and kicking with all of her might out of Nyicon City.

The former inhabitants of the City paused to collectively sweat drop at the scene. When the two strangers had finally left however, they continued to pack their stuff. With all of their major tourist attraction stores gone, the city wouldn't be as profitable as before. Besides, some of them keep having the feeling that if they don't leave now, more destruction will fall on them. The smart ones left quickly while the foolish - or brave depending on how you look at it - stayed behind to steal the last drops of wine from the last bottle in the city, including a certain 'owner of Haven.'


Notes

1 - The word is actually "inhuman" but since Zelas is a Mazoku so I doubt she cares about what humans think is right or wrong. So I changed it to "inmazoku" ^_^

2 - "The two angels are back..."


Chapter 6   |   Fanfiction