Part 9


When morning came it was still storming, power was still out and everyone was not in very good spirits.

"Where is my piano book?" Anne said for the third time. "Whoever took it can give it back now." She added putting her hands on her hips.

"I don't know where it is, you're the last one to use it, so maybe you misplaced it or something." Mana said looking up briefly from her latest painting.

"Anne, why do you even need it? You can't see very well in this light so you can't very well see the notes clearly." Tia added.

"I know, there just isn't anything else to do." Anne said falling back into a chair.

Lina sat at a desk and stared out the window. She was trying to think on when she and Zel should go back. She wanted to do it tonight but if this storm kept up then it wouldn't happen.

"When do you think this is going to let up?" Anne said turning her head to look out at the storm.

"I don't know, if it's a hurricane then it could be a few days." Lina fell out of her chair. "Lina, are you all right?"

Lina slowly crawled back into her chair. "A few days!?"

"Is that a problem?" Mana asked.

"Yes it is, you see me and Zel have just got to get back." Then she thought of Zel and how he might turn back into the 'monster' he once was. "That is I have to go back. I'm not sure if Zel want's to or not. I have some unfinished business to attend to.You see when we were sent here I, we were in the middle of a battle and it needs to be finished or this guy is going to ruin the world that we grew up in." Lina looked out at the trees bending over by the force of the wind. "I need to get back as soon as possible."

The three girls looked at each other. Then Anne got up and went to the phone. "Hey Greg, do you think you guys could come over?... Yes I've looked out side, I'm doing so now... Yes it is urgent...No, Mana's all right, she's sitten' here looking at me...Tia's fine too, and so is Lina. We just need you guys over here it's important... 'Kay, bye." Anne hung up the phone and sat down in her chair. "They'll be here as soon as they can."

The guys showed up an hour later. They said they literally had to drive through two feet of water.

"So, what's so important and couldn't wait till this storm let up?" Greg asked.

"I need to get back to my own world as soon as I can. I thought about it last night when I woke up from a dream in cold sweat." Lina said. "As soon as the storm let's up I need to go."

"Wait Lina what about me? I'm not going to stay here if your not." Zel said sitting up strait in his chair. "I need to get back too."

"Are you sure? Your libel to change back. I thought you might want to stay here where you'll be cured for the rest of your life." Lina said

"I know the possibilities, but it's a chance I'm going to take. Greg told me about having to go back to school and about the classes he's taking and I'm not going to stick around to find out how 'fun' it is."

"All right then, we'll both leave."

"Um.. I hate to point out this problem but," Luke started. "You guys don't even know if your magic works here or not."

"That's right," Zel's shoulders sagged a bit. "What if it doesn't? Well be stuck here."

"And is that supposed to be a bad thing?" Tia said.

"Oh, no, don't get me wrong or anything but I would rather live the rest of my life in my own land."

"It works." Lina said quietly.

"What was that?" Everyone looked at Lina sitting in the chair by the window.

"I said it works. I tried it last night. When I woke up and found that all the lights were out I tried making my way to the door but couldn't find my way so I tried a light spell. And it worked."

"But that's only a light spell how do we know that something as big as a transport spell will work?" Zel inquired.

"Well, we'll just have to find out then won't we." Lina said.


The rain stopped latter on that day. Lina said that she would try that night around midnight but that was soon put off on account to the water level. They persuaded her to wait it out for a few more days to let the ground dries and make sure the storm had passed and it wasn't a hurricane.

The weather did clear up and the ground did dry. Around midnight on the third day after the storm Lina and Zel stood out on the beach in their normal cloths ready to go back. But before they could start anything Lina and Zel heard their names being called. They turned to see the six people they owed everything to come running towards them.

"You forgot your suitcases. We can't use the and we can't wear your cloths so we decided that you need to take them with you as a souvenir." Anne said. Tia held up Lina's bag and Greg held up Zel's. Something was a bit different about them, then they saw it. they had their names embroidered in them. Lina slowly reached out and took the handle to her suitcase.

"Thank you," She said.

"Here you go, Zeldigass." Greg said holding out Zel's bag. Zel sighed and reached out and took a hold of the handle.

"It's Zel-GA-diss." He corrected for the last time.

"Oh.. Right." Greg cleared his throut and stepped back to join the group.

"Ready?" Lina asked looking up at Zel. He nodded. "Now we might just go back to just after we actually left so let's be on our gaurd." They both turned around to face the ocean. "Do you want to start or do you want me to?"

"I will." Zel outstretched one arm and chanted:

" - Mighty web of time;
That weaves together our existence.
Stronger then the mightiest river
the sturdiest wall. - "

Then Lina finished it.

" - Great one who controls all things,
Chaos formed of unity.
Open a few strands of your web,
And allow us passage. - "

A redish-black portal formed in front of them. Just before they jumped through Lina turned back towards the three girls. "Thank you for everything." She said. Then smiling said. "Maybe next time you can come to our world." Then she turned around and jumped through. Zel gave a sharp nod in farewell and followed. The redish black portal closed behind them.


It was no longer raining when Lina and Zel went back. But they came back to the same land scape and the same battle. It was like they never left. Lina fell on top of her bag and Zel fell next to her and his bag fell on top of him.

"So Lina Inverese you have found your way back so soon?" Said the dark form in front of her. Lina glared at the foreboding form. So Soon? It had been at least a week before they even attempted to come back. Oh well. Lina stood up.

"I guess so, maybe you should try something a little more extreme next time." Then she stuck both hands strait down in front of her and began the spell she should have started with.

" - Darkness beyond twilight,
In crimson blood that flows.
Buried in the sands of time
Is where your power grows.
I pledge myself to conquer,
All the foes who stand .
The mighty gift bestowed
In my unworthy hand. -

- DRAGON SLAVE!! - "

An inhuman scream came from the black mage as he evaporated into the air. Lina stared and the spot where her opponent once stood. Zel stood up next to her.

"Well were back home." Zel said.Lina sighed and nodded, then looked up at him.

"Sorry you couldn't keep your cure." She said.

"It's okay, I'm used to it. I'll just have to keep looking for one." Lina looked down at their suitcases. Zel's bag had fallen open. There on top of all his clothes and stuff was a white envelope. Lina bent down and picked it up. It had their names on it.

"What's that?" Zel asked as Lina turned it over in her hand.

"I'm not sure, it looks like a letter for you and me." She tore open the top of the letter and took out the contents.

It was the group picture they had taken on the beach, plus a note. Lina passed the picture to Zel and unfolded the letter. She read:

"Hope you had a fun time. Take care and never forget us.

luv-n-stuff
Anne, Mana, Tia, Luke, Greg, Brandon."

There Zelgadiss and Lina stood side by side looking at a picture.


Looking out over the ocean Anne's eyes wondered over to the place where Lina and Zel had just left. Something glittered in the light.

"Hey, look at this." She said walking over and picking up three objects from the sand Mana and Tia followed her to see what it was. Anne turned around to show them three tear shaped pendants each laced on a silver chain. Each were different shades of blue, green and red. Tia picked up the blue one, Mana the red and Anne the green.

As she put on the necklace Anne said, "hey guys. What do think Lina meant when she said:' Maybe next time you can come to our world.' Do you think...?" Her voice trailed off.

The three girls looked at each other wide-eyed.

"Nah." The said in unison. Then they turned around and walked back to the house with the guys.


Fanfiction