The Second Bet


Xellos glared over the board in front of him. He prided himself on being an extremely smart and cunning creature that couldn't be beaten easily in anyway. There wasn't another creature alive that could beat him at a match of wits, except maybe another monster. But a human could never match his intelligence. There was no way a human could beat him at a game. Never, it just wasn't possible.

"Checkmate!" Amelia declared moving her queen into position near Xellos' king.

Xellos fell to the ground. No way... a human beat me... at chess!

"Mister Xellos?" Amelia questioned Xellos gently poking him on the shoulder. But Xellos didn't answer her. He just quietly mumbled under his breath with waterfall tears falling down his face.

"Gee he really doesn't take loosing too well now does he?" Lina grinned looming over the trickster priest. "Well Xellos, Amelia beat you at chess. So I win the bet!" Lina declared flashing a victory sign.

Xellos moaned and Zelgadis evilly cackled. After that card incident were Zelgadis lost that bet to Lina and had to be her slave for a whole month he was really looking forward to getting Xellos back. Though he wouldn't admit that he did actually end up enjoying being her slave for the last part of the month that didn't stop him from coming to Lina with this little idea.

"What do I have to do?" Xellos asked in a pathetic little voice.


"Life is beautiful! Everyone should value life and live their lives with justice in their hearts! Be kind to your fellow man! Be helpful to others. Do no evil, for those with evil in their hearts will never succeed in life!" Amelia beamed preaching to the large crowd that had gathered to listen to her speak. "Isn't that right Mister Xellos?" Amelia asked Xellos who was strapped into a chair right next to her.

"Help me..." Xellos mumbled.

Off to the side behind the crowd of people sitting at a table sat Lina and Zelgadis. Zelgadis was drinking coffee and Lina was having her morning 'snack.'

"Heh heh... Xellos sure looks like he's having a fun time. And to think he's only been doing this for only an hour now." Zelgadis cackled.

"And he's still got seven more to go." Lina said in between bites.

The two of them got into a fit of evil laughter.

"And to think he lost because we cheated."

The two of them laughed harder while Xellos moaned in complete agony.


Fanfiction