Chapter One


In a strange void enveloped completely in darkness a little girl wakes up in her bed with her amber eyes almost glowing the place almost devoid of light that she called home.

She got out of her bed and got dressed. She appeared to be a regular human girl but her visible spotted marks on her arms from her short-sleeved shirt betrayed her. The little girl with the amber eyes and the long silver tinted blue purple hair looked to be about the age of seven or eight, but look into her eyes and you'll see she's much older.

The little girl was more then a hundred years old, though still a child by her race's standards. Though she looked to be only eight or seven she knew that she was supposed to look older. And she also knew that the elders were lying when they told her that they didn't know why she still looked so young. They were the reason she looked so young. They prevented her growth thinking that it might in some way suppress the growing power in the girl, which was a foolish thought at that.

You see the elders were afraid of the little girl. Their race was an evil one, that hid in darkness and conquered other races when the time was right. They fed of magic and each of the people of their race had an affinity with one type of magic from which they feed and others which would do no good or harm. As well to feed for each of them they had at least one type of magic that would injure them. Something that could kill them rather then do nothing or feed them. Each of them had different affinities and each of them had different magic types that either hurt or did nothing to them. And when they used their max power their eyes glowed amber.

But the girl was born with amber eyes by birth, which had never happened before in their race's history. Plus at birth she had unbelievable magic power that surpassed all others of their race. But the strangest and possibly scariest thing of all perhaps was that the little girl had an affinity with practically every type of magic and few types could hurt her. She was a freak by their standards, and a dangerous one at that.

Once she was born her parents were killed and she was treated differently then others from their race as she grew up. They alienated her and tried to make sure that no one would get close to her and become friends with her. But what a foolish mistake that was.

Without their guiding influence the little girl didn't become evil in nature like the others. Given the choice to think for herself, the girl decided that she didn't want to be evil like them. She didn't like to hurt or dominate people like they did. But she made sure that they didn't find that out.

The girl got out of her room and wandered the many hallways of her dark home. To a normal person the place would appear completely black and too dark to find their way around. But for someone like the little girl with eyes that could adapt from light to darkness it wasn't hard at all.

She didn't have a set location in mind so she ended up wandering outside their black void to world that her race hid themselves from.

What she found outside was a beaten battleground on a long stretch of meadow. On that meadow one of many battles of a large war had taken place. The girl didn't even know what war it was or which parties that took place in it. All she knew was that it was a big waste life of both people and the ground they destroy along with the war. The battle was just dying out, only few remained on the beaten meadow waiting to kill or be killed. Otherwise only lifeless corpses remained.

"Hello little one."

The girl turns her gaze behind her to see another of her race, a man who appeared to be in his late twenties or early thirties but who was really many years older then that.

"Hello Maldrin."

Maldrin was the only person of the little girl's race that she could actually call a friend. Even though the elders tried through their meddling to make sure she never made a friend they failed at that. Maldrin was the closest thing that the girl could call family. "Watching the dying fireworks are we?"

"No I'm watching the absolute pointlessness of this bloodshed. Why can't they just get along with each other? This war has been going on for who knows how long. Are they really so different Maldrin? I would have thought they would be wiser."

"Wiser? You think you are wiser than them? You who is only 110 years old and without a name yet?"

"Why is that Maldrin? Why is that I still have not been named yet? I know I'm young by our race's standards but most of us are named within our first ten years of life. Here I am well over then a then years old and yet I'm still nameless."

"You are different little one. Besides most of us are also named when we grow to look past the age of eighteen. You yourself only looks to be about eight."

The girl decided not to comment on the elder's being the reason why she still looked eight. "The elder's are afraid of me aren't they?"

Maldrin was thrown off by that question. It's true that the elders as well as many others of their race were afraid of the little girl. She had power that they have never seen before. Though the little girl couldn't control or evoke all her power, it would be only a matter of time before she does regardless of what age she appears to be. The elders know that there is still a chance that the girl will not betray them but they didn't want to take that risk. Discussion was still going on about her, the girl's fate still undecided.

"No child you are not. You will be named when the time is right. Anyway I must return back, don't stay too long."

"Okay Maldrin." The girl said to the man as he walked off. Returning her attention to the dying battle the girl's vision starts to go blurry and she almost collapsed to the ground from the sharp pains in her stomach. She hungry and need get some food very quickly.

"I wish I'd have a better warning that something like that was going to happen. Hmmm... I can feel the magic energy that remains on the battleground. I could feed off that but I can't do it with people still around. I'll have to send back to where they were before this fight. First I'll put them to sleep and then I'll send them back." The girl concentrated and put those remaining to sleep and teleported them back to where they were. For most of her race doing such a task while being so low on energy would be nearly impossible. But the girl could still cast magic even if she was extremely hungry.

With that task completed the girl went down to the battleground absorbing the magic energy that still lingered there. There, that's enough for now. Not really liking the sight of rotting corpses the girl turned around and started to head back. But then she stopped dead in her tracks when she heard something odd. She listened hard and she could make out the sound of a baby crying.

"What? Who would bring a baby to a battlefield? And why wasn't it taken back with the other when I teleported them?" She said frowning.

She followed the sound of the baby's voice and eventually found him. He had wisps of aqua hair on his head and a matching aqua tail. But what was weird about the baby was that he had pointed ears like he was part elf and slanted eyes like he was part monster. Trying to calm the crying baby she picked him up and rocked him until the golden dragon next to her spoke.

"He's a sweet child isn't he?" The golden dragon's voice was raspy and she seemed very beaten. At first appearance the girl had though the golden dragon was dead.

"Yes he is. But how are you still here? I sent all of the other golden dragons away with the other races. And what is this baby?"

"I am the baby's mother, but I'm not fully golden dragon. My father was an elf." The dragon spoke with half closed eyes holding her badly gashed side. She was in a lot of pain. The little girl went to heal her when the dragon stopped the girl. "No, there is no point. I'm dying anyway it would have no effect. Look that way, you see that dragon?" The dragon lady motioned to a dead ancient dragon; only he wasn't a full ancient dragon nor was he alive.

"He's half monster. He was this baby's father, wasn't he?"

The dragon lady just nodded her head. "Yes he was the father of my child. We loved each other kept and tried to keep our relationship secret so that the others wouldn't find out. If they had we would have been big trouble. But then I got pregnant." The dragon lady sighed a sad sigh before continuing. "I couldn't tell anyone, so I kept it a secret." She coughed and blood dripped out the sides of her mouth. "It's funny I used to think my biggest worry was how was I going to take care of that baby. Now I have to worry about who will protect my son when I die."

"How long do you have?"

"Not even an hour." The golden dragon closed her eyes and sighed again she opened them and focused on the girl standing before her. "What are you? I don't recognize your race."

"I'm part of a very old race, one very good at hiding."

"But you are older than just seven right?"

"Yes that is correct. I'm 110 years old. I supposed to look older but my aging has been suppressed."

"What would happen if it was stopped being suppressed?"

"Then I grow very fast to at least in my twenties."

"Ah I see... what after you reach that age?"

"I'll probably stop aging all together. Some people of my race start to age again after they turn 1500 years old, but not everyone."

"So you'll be kinda like my son once you both grow. You'll both stopped aging after a certain age?"

"Yes I would assume so. Though I don't know when I'll start to age again." The girl looked down at the little baby. He had stopped crying and was looking up at the girl in curiosity. You're a unique one, just like me.

The golden dragon looked to be deep in thought for a few minutes before she spoke again. "I have a favor to ask you."

"What is it?"

"As my dying request may I ask you to look after my son once I die?"

The girl blinked a few times in surprise. "You want me to look after your son?"

"If any one of the monsters, dragons or elves got a hold of him then who knows what they might do. He isn't safe."

"But why ask me? Don't you have someone to leave your son with?"

"No. I can't leave him with any of the golden dragons; they probably would kill him. The same goes for the ancient dragons. The monsters would probably use him as a tool for destruction and the elves probably would be the only ones I could trust, would not be able to protect him. Neither would any of the humans. He needs to be kept safe and isolated from all four races... And you said you're race is good at hiding..."

The girl frowned. "Yes I did say that. And we are. I could easily keep him safe but I don't know..."

"Please I'm begging you! I've got no one else to go to! It's my dying wish!"

"If I did take care of him I wouldn't be able to show the child family love. I never had a family and I wouldn't know the first thing about caring about him like he was my kin. He would end up growing up with at most a friend, not a mother or a sister..."

"That does not matter as long you keep him safe. Having a just a friend is better than having no one..."

The girl thought pensively for a few moments. "Alright, as long as you are okay with this whole situation."

"Thank you."

"What is the child's name?"

"He doesn't have one."

"Well we have something in common little one. What do you want to be called, hmm?" The girl said to the baby holding up so that she could look him in the eyes. The baby smiled.

"I was thinking of... naming... him.... Zander..." The dragon lady closed her eyes and didn't open them. She was now gone to this world.

"Well young one, your name's Zander. We may have lost the one thing that we had in common but we have gained another in replace. Now you also have no parents." The girl said with a sad smile. She looked back to Zander's parents and said a silent prayer. Then she turned around and headed back to the others. What am I going to do now? I have to look after Zander, but what am I going to say to the elders? They sure aren't going to like this.

She wrapped up Zander a little more tightly in his blanket and headed off towards the portal that would take her back home. With it right in front of her, the little girl takes a deep breath before stepping through the portal.


Chapter 2   |   Fanfiction