Part Three


Lina wasn't surprised to be back in the inn bed with Mrs. Knight coming in with a tray of food looking slightly concerned.

"There, now eat up. If you are hungry after like your blond friend then just let me know, I've got lots more food ready to be eaten." Mrs. Knight said warmly setting the tray of food in front of Lina.

"Where am I? And where are my friends? What happened?" Lina asked even though she knew what the answer was. Might as well stick with routine.

"Oh yes dear I should have told you that from the start! It must be very confusing to end up in a place like this with no memory of coming here! Okay I'll explain first by telling you my name. My name's Meredith Knight and right now you are in an inn that my husband Harris and I run. And the town that you are in is Wislinn. Some of the townspeople found you and your three friends unconscious in the snow near the town. And I have to say I was extremely surprised and worried when they brought you four here. You were all so frozen to the bone and so blue in the face. Especially that stony friend of yours, but I have the feeling he's blue on a normal basis. Well they brought you four here because we have the room. And I have to say I'm very happy that you all seem to be better now. You all had me so worried."

"And where are my friends?" Lina prompt Mrs. Knight. I'd better figure out how to stop this time loop soon. Otherwise I'll go nuts having to go through this every morning.

"Well your blond friend whom I believe is named Gourry, was up right after I started cooking. Your polite friend named Amelia came down shortly after Gourry just as I was about to bring her up some food. And as for your stony friend whom I was told is named Zelgadis is still in his room sleeping. He seemed to be the worst of the four of you when you were all brought in. Why don't you eat up and go see him? He's in the room right next to you on the left. Well I'll leave you to eat. If you need anything I'll be downstairs." Mrs. Knight gave Lina a warm smile before leaving Lina to her breakfast.

After Mrs. Knight left Lina eyed the food that had been left for her to eat.

It was the same soup, fruit, tart, drinks and roll that she had the last few days.

Lina frowned. This breakfast had been good the first time she had it. And even though it did taste good, after eating it over and over again every morning Lina was getting tired of it.

I'd better figure out how to break this spell soon or otherwise I'll go nuts having this every morning. Lina frowned again as she slowly ate her breakfast. Wait a minute, didn't I think something like that when Mrs. Knight came in? Gah! Too much repetition!


After breakfast Lina went to go visit Zelgadis.

Lina didn't bother to knock, she just went right in. And as expected Zelgadis was still sleeping all curled up in his blankets.

Lina had to grin, he looked like a little kid sleeping like he was.

"Hey Zel, wake up." Lina gave him a little nudge.

Zelgadis murmured trying desperately to hold onto his sleeping state.

"Zel!" Lina shoved his time.

Zelgadis inwardly groaned. "Why did you have to wake me up? I was having a nice dream... And why are you dressed like that?" Zelgadis said eying the white nightgown Lina was wearing.

Lina rolled her eyes. Just like the last time. "I'm getting a little sick of this..." Lina muttered under her breath.

"What happened to me clothes?!" Zelgadis exclaimed once he finally realized what he was wearing.

"Still wet. Okay here goes... we're in Wislinn but we were dragged here because we all collapsed in the snow outside the town. We were brought here the Wislinn Inn because they had the room to put us up and they have been taking care of us. Mr. and Mrs. Knight are the ones who run this inn. And today is the second to last day of Wislinn's winter festival." Lina said in a slightly monotone voice.

Zelgadis gave Lina a strange look for the lack of dynamics in her voice. "Okay so we did made it here after all."

"Yeah and we're stuck in a time loop." Lina said very calmly.

Zelgadis whom was still distraught about his clothes and was still trying to take in the situation didn't catch what Lina said right away. "What?!"

"Looks like the cold has affected your reaction time." Lina half-heartedly joked.

"A time loop? Are you sure?"

"Yup. This day keeps on repeating itself. Only no one seems to be aware of it. I'm the only one whose mind doesn't seem to be affected."

"How many times has this day repeated and how are you sure it's repeating?" Zelgadis got up and sat next to Lina on the bed.

"Believe me if we go downstairs Amelia and Gourry will be eating. Mrs. Knight will apologize about your clothes still being wet. And Amelia will tell us about Wislinn's winter festival. As for how many times this day has repeated... twice, a dozen, two hundred... I have no idea. I don't know how many times it repeated before I started to become aware of the loop. And even when I started to realize what was going on it just felt like déjà vu."

Zelgadis frowned. This did sound very crazy, but Lina wasn't one to lie about something like this. Plus Zelgadis did have to admit this all seemed a little too familiar even though he hadn't been here before. "So we might have been stick here for years for all we know." That was a little bit of unsettling thought. "But the days before we came here are so clear in my mind."

"Yeah I know they are very clear in my mind too. But I know that this keeps repeating itself, literately."

"What time does it start and what time does the loop end and start itself up again?"

"For me it starts when I wake up in the inn. But according to Mrs. Knight we were brought in I think last night."

Zelgadis raised an eyebrow. "You think?"

"Well it may be a time loop but it's still a little fuzzy in my head."

"If Mrs. Knight has memory of us being brought in it must be part of the loop."

"But it must have been late that night thus making it part of today. More likely so the loop starts up at 12:00 am." Lina concluded.

"How do you figure that?"

"Because the loop ends and starts itself up again right as the clock strikes midnight." Lina remembered how strange that felt. One moment she was standing outside in the cold at night and the next she was waking up in a bed and it was morning.

"Making it a full 24 hours. Any idea who is causing this?"

"I figure it must be someone in the town. Wouldn't make sense for it to be a monster or a demon because then they would be causing more carnage and pain. But everyone here looks happy and content and don't even have any idea that they are in a time loop. And it has to be a person because this spell is too complex with the weather exterior barrier and the inner barrier with the time loop. So it has to be a person who is in this town causing the loop. And since this day keeps repeating all the people do the same thing each time. All we need to do is find the person whose actions aren't consistent with the loop."

"Like yourself?" Zelgadis smirked.

Lina rolled her eyes.

"But how come your memory isn't affected by the loop?"

"Well think about it this way. This loop was probably going on long before we ever came here. And probably that's why there has been this barrier and exterior weather barrier around the town."

"To prevent people to enter and disrupt the flow of the loop."

"Right. Only the internal barrier isn't up at winter because that's the season when the loop started. And since the weather is so bad in the winter it still works to keep people out. But when we came into the picture we must have added more pressure on the person holding up the spell for the loop. And maybe they were fine for a little while after we got here -- "

"But it's becoming too much so the spell is starting to degrade a bit." Zelgadis finished off.

"Right."

"So I guess we should start investigating to find out whose actions besides you differ from loop to loop. But Lina are you sure the person doing this is in this town? The person could be else wear."

"I doubt it. They wouldn't be able to survive too well outside the barrier and to focus such a complex spell they would have to be in the center of it all."

Zelgadis nodded his head in agreement. "So then let's get started."


For the most part of the day Lina and Zelgadis observed the people of the town trying to figure out who was doing what at what time. They both deemed it pointless to write down what they saw on paper because the paper would most likely disappear when the next loop started up. But nether less they did it anyway.

"Zel what do you figure would happen if we left the town before the next loop started up?" Lina asked Zelgadis while trying to warm her numbing hands.

"You mean outside the barrier? Well I guess one of tow things. Either we'd get out and the loop wouldn't affect us. Or -- "

"Or we'd still be affected and end up waking up in the inn again." Lina finished off.

"But with the weather the way it is outside we wouldn't do well anyway. We just barely made it here as it is."

"Yeah and we don't know how far the time loop barrier reaches too. So we've got no choice. We have to stop the spell causing the barrier and the time loop. Plus I wouldn't feel quite right about leaving all these people doomed to repeat this day forever." Lina said while frowning. But not like they are even aware of it anyway.


Ethan watched Lina and Zelgadis as they investigated the town. Since he had started the time barrier he himself knew of the comings and goings of everyone in the town. And when the group of four came, Ethan made sure to keep tabs on their actions so that he'll know what they will be doing and to make sure the loop was still working despite the extra stress.

For the first little while Lina and the others fit right in doing the same actions during each loop. But then Lina's actions started to differ.

Ethan watched Lina with extra interest. That red head isn't being affected from the loop like the rest. I do sense a strong amount of magic power within her. And if she remembers and is aware of the daily repetition then she may end up being a problem to me. I must cure Angel before the barrier can be lifted. I can't have any meddling sorceresses messing with my plans. But what can I do about her? Ethan wondered.


Lina and Zelgadis went on writing down what they could for the whole day. The only breaks they took were to eat. And even while they were eating they were still jotting down notes on those around them.

"Lina is there anyone you've seen whose actions differ from the other days yet?" Zelgadis asked as they walked through the town square.

"Not yet. This all looks the same as yesterday. What time is it right now?"

"According to the large clock in the center of the town it's about 11:10 pm."

"Fifty more minutes till the loop starts up again."

"Why do you think this loop is going on for?"

"That's something I've been trying to figure out. Why would someone want to keep all these people trapped here and force them to repeat the same day over and over? There has to be a reason why someone wants to keep everyone here. But I guess we'll figure that out once we find out whose doing this."

Zelgadis looked at the large clock again. "In order to do a spell of this magnitude the person would have to be a very powerful mage or have a large amplifier or an anchor to focus the spell onto."

"Yeah. And since it's a time spell it would more likely be a clock of some type." Lina also looked at the large clock in the middle of the town.

"Do you want to check it out?" Zelgadis asked referring to the clock.

"Sure why not. We've got the time." Lina half joked.

Zelgadis shook his head.

The two of them went to the clock. It was at the top of a very small clock tower that was only two stories tall. Neither Lina nor Zelgadis could feel and type of magic essence from the tower but they still searched around it. There was a door around the back and it wasn't locked. Lina gave Zelgadis a look before they went inside.

Inside the clock tower there were many moving gears and parts but nothing out of the ordinary. There was a stairway that led up to the second floor. They went up and it led up to a balcony that overlooked the town. But still nothing out of the ordinary.

"This isn't an anchor to the spell." Lina commented looking up at the clock face from the balcony that was under it. Snowflakes fell from the sky and onto Lina's face which stung her face and made her look down.

Below them people were singing and many people gathered in the streets.

"It's a pretty view huh Lina?" Zelgadis smiled at Lina.

"Yeah it is." From where they were they could see the many trees the surrounded the town. They were all dusted with thick layers of snow. The whole view was one of white. But it was strange it all looked like a peaceful cold winter night outside. Though outside the barrier it was a raging blizzard. Only in this town it was peaceful. "Pretty but cold." Lina shivered. Like before she was wearing one of Mrs. Knight's old coats because her cloak was still wet. It was an old coat with holes that didn't keep Lina too warm but it was better then nothing.

Zelgadis put his arm around Lina. "How about we go inside. We've done enough for now we'll just pick it up the next loop okay?" Zelgadis suggested.

Lina didn't say much. She wasn't used to any type of affectionate gestures from Zelgadis at all. I guess all the snowy cheeriness and spirit can even get to him too. Lina had to grin at that thought.


Lina woke up to the smells of baked goods. She was in the inn bed, the loop had started up again.

There was a soft knock on her door and Mrs. Knight came in holding the same tray of breakfast that she had brought in the day before and wearing the exact same clothes she had been wearing the day before as well.

"Oh good morning dear! I was so afraid that you weren't going to wake up! How are you feeling? Are you warm? You were so dreadfully cold when they brought you here. You're not feeling sick are you from the snow are you?" Mrs. Knight said with concern. "There, now eat up. If you are hungry after like your blond friend then just let me know, I've got lots more food ready to be eaten." Mrs. Knight said warmly setting the tray of food in front of Lina.

"Where am I? And where are my friends? What happened?" Lina asked yet again.

"Oh yes dear I should have told you that from the start! It must be very confusing to end up in a place like this with no memory of coming here! Okay I'll explain first by telling you my name. My name's Meredith Knight and right now you are in an inn that my husband Harris and I run. And the town that you are in is Wislinn. Some of the townspeople found you and your three friends unconscious in the snow near the town. And I have to say I was extremely surprised and worried when they brought you four here. You were all so frozen to the bone and so blue in the face. Especially that stony friend of yours, but I have the feeling he's blue on a normal basis. Well they brought you four here because we have the room. And I have to say I'm very happy that you all seem to be better now. You all had me so worried."

"And where are my friends?" Lina prompt. I think I'll try something different tomorrow and see what her reaction is.

"Well your blond friend whom I believe is named Gourry, was up right after I started cooking. Your polite friend named Amelia came down shortly after Gourry just as I was about to bring her up some food. And as for your stony friend whom I was told is named Zelgadis is still in his room sleeping. He seemed to be the worst of the four of you when you were all brought in. Why don't you eat up and go see him? He's in the room right next to you on the left. Well I'll leave you to eat. If you need anything I'll be downstairs." Mrs. Knight gave Lina a warm smile before leaving Lina to her breakfast.

There it was again the same breakfast she had been eating for the past we days. Only this time something was slightly different. Before she had been brought a glass of milk and a glass of water. Only this time it was a glass of milk and a glass of apple juice. What's going on here? Lina wondered. But even though everything else was the same Lina was still thankful for the juice.


With breakfast out of the way Lina put her slippers on and went straight to Zelgadis' room. She didn't even bother change.

Zelgadis' room was the same sight it had been the other days. Zelgadis, sleeping all nice and cozy in his bed.

Hopefully he'll remember this time. Lina walked over to Zelgadis and gave him a good shove. "Wake up." Lina commanded.

Zelgadis woke up groaning. "Why did you have to wake me up? I was having a nice dream... And why are you dressed like that?" Zelgadis eyed Lina's nightgown.

"You mean you don't remember?"

"Huh? Remember what? Where are we? What's going on? Hey what the?! What happened to my clothes?!?!" Zelgadis exclaimed.

Lina sweatdropped. "You're kidding me, you mean you really don't remember at all?"

"Remember what?! And seriously where's my clothes?!" Zelgadis demanded.

"More likely drying someplace. You'll get them later. You don't remember about the time loop? And us going around investigating yesterday? You don't remember at all?"

"The only thing I remember about yesterday was starting to trek to Wislinn through the harsh weather. The rest is blank in my mind. And what do you mean by a time loop?"

Lina let out a heavy sight. Damnit! And I was hoping he'd remember too. This is going to make things harder and much more irritating. "Okay Zel I'll explain. First of all we're in Wislinn..." Lina started to explain.


Ethan listen outside Zelgadis' door. He himself was curious if the chimera could remember the events of the past loops.

Well it looks like she is the only one. Perhaps it might be best for me to remove the problem.


After going over it again with him, Lina and Zelgadis went back to investigating. It was driving Lina nuts because he kept asking the same questions as the day before.

"Lina is there anyone you've seen whose actions differ from the other days yet?"

Lina clenched her teeth. "Grr! You asked that last time too!"

"Well I have no memory of the last loop so how am I supposed to know?"

Lina grumbled in reply.

"Well?"

"Well what?!" Lina snapped at him.

"Is there anyone?"

"No!"

"Okay then."

There was a small lapse of silence between the two. Lina was the first to break.

"What time is it?"

Zelgadis looked towards the large clock. "According to the clock it's about 11:42 pm, only eighteen more minutes left." He looked over at the clock and then back at Lina. "In order to do a spell of this magnitude the person would have to be a very powerful mage or -- "

"It's not the clock." Lina finished off.

"What?"

"You were going to suggest that the person would need an amplifier or an anchor to do the spell. So I'm telling you it's not the clock in the town square."

"We checked it out already?"

"Yup during the last loop. You were in such a good mood you even put your arm around me." Lina half teased.

Zelgadis just gave her a strange look or not. Lina was known to over exaggerate things so he had no idea if she was just making that up or not. But he chose not to comment.

The two of them continued walking around the town and as they passed a building they both felt a strange wave of magic power.

"What was that?" Lina said looking around.

"Feels like it came from over there." Zelgadis pointed to a house they just past. Right directly behind it there was another house.

"Which one, the first or the second?"

"Not sure..."

"You want to spilt up and check them out?" Lina suggested.

"Okay I'll take the first one you take the one behind it."

Lina nodded and the two of them spilt up.

The magic power wasn't too strong but it got stronger the closer they got to the houses. Zelgadis went to check the perimeter of the first house and couldn't really pin point where the magic power was coming from.

Lina slowly inched around the second house and the magic power felt much more stronger. It seemed to be coming from a basement door leading downwards on the backside of the building. It's coming from down there. Maybe this is where the spell is centered! Lina exclaimed. She was just about to yell out for Zelgadis when I blow to the head from behind made her vision go black.


Zelgadis eventually determined that it was the other house where the magic power was coming from. He couldn't see the clock in the town square from where he was but he figured he didn't have much time left.

Zelgadis sprinted over to the other house to see if he could find Lina. But when he got the backside of the other building Lina was nowhere to be seen.

"Lina? Where are you?" Zelgadis called out but he got no answer. He looked down to examine the snow from the tracks he could tell Lina had walked back here and looked to have been dragged off by the owner of the second set of tracks. She seemed to have been dragged over to the basement door and then probably inside there.

Zelgadis tried the door but it was locked. Damnit! He was just about to knock down the door.


Zelgadis woke up to the feel of someone's hand on his forehead. "What...?" Zelgadis mumbled.

"I'm sorry dear I didn't mean to wake you up." A middle aged woman stood before him with an apologetic smile.

"What's going on?"

"I'm sorry again! I should explain." The woman put the tray of food down in front of Zelgadis before she started. "My name is Meredith Knight and you are in the Wislinn Inn an inn that my husband Harris and I own. From the name of the place you can get that this town you are in is Wislinn. Some of the townspeople found you and your friends collapse unconscious out in the snow outside of the town. They brought you all here because I have the room. And I must say I was so worried when they brought you and your friends here! You were all so blue and frozen. You seemed to be the worst of them. Are you feeling better?" Mrs. Knight asked with a concerned look on her face.

"I am I suppose. Where's my friends?"

"That blond fellow named Gourry came down as I was making breakfast and that polite friend of yours named Amelia came down just after Gourry as I was about to bring her up some food. Which reminds me I'm sorry about your clothing dear, they are still very wet. I've got them drying over the fire. I'll get them to you as soon as they are dry."

"What about Lina?"

Mrs. Knight frowned in confusion. "Lina?"

"Yes the other girl that was with us. Near my height, slender and with long red hair. Where's she?"

"Oh dear." Mrs. Knight chewed her bottom lip in distress. "I'm sorry there was only the three of you that they brought in. Your other friend wasn't among you all when they found you."

"She's still out there in the snow?" Zelgadis asked in confusion. This isn't right. Something is wrong here.

"I suppose so. I'll make sure to tell town elder about this. Though it would be useless to send out a search party because she most likely wouldn't have survived. I'm very sorry dear." Mrs. Knight put a hand on his shoulder in sympathy.

"Didn't my other friends mention her at all?"

"No I'm sorry they didn't. Now you should eat up, I'll go to talk to the elder right now."

Zelgadis just stared blankly. Lina should be here. In the room next to me... But why wouldn't Gourry and Amelia mention her at all? What the hell is going on here?


Lina opened her eyes slowly. She was in someplace dark with strange smells and her head hurt quite a bit. What's going on here?! Lina tried to talk but the gag on her mouth prevented her from doing so.

"So you're awake? I'm sorry that I had to knock you out like that." The man said while lighting a candle so that Lina could see better.

Lina looked at the man she hadn't seen him before. He had short light blue hair and brown eyes.

"10:40 am. By now your friends should be up and eating breakfast." The man said looking at the clock to Lina's left.

The loop, I should be at the Wislinn Inn, but I'm not. What's going on here?!


Part 4   |   Fanfiction