Part 4: Traveling Mishaps


Lina too preoccupied with her catch notice what was about to attack them. Zelgadis on the other hand was altered by faint sounds of twigs being broken.

"Lina..." Zelgadis whispered in a low voice.

"What?!"

All Zelgadis did was motion to the trees and bushes surrounding them. She listened hard and then realized what Zelgadis meant. She slowly brought her hand over one of her swords ready to draw it.

"ATTACK!" An unknown voice screamed and the flood of creatures came in roaring in.

Both Zelgadis and Lina ready in fighting positions, sprung into action.

The fight went on dragging out. There were too many of them, and Lina and Zelgadis weren't able to strike down the trolls.

This is pointless. Lina mentally thought. Then she put back her sword and drew the three orhalcon swords that she had brought with her. She focused her thoughts on the thunder blade and using the rotation circle Lina switched it with one of her fire elemental ones. "Zelgadis get back her behind me!" Lina yelled at him, though confused complied and did what she asked.

She took one of the swords and lodged it into the ground. A troll went to lunge at her but was repelled by the wind barrier that was put up by the sword in the ground. Then with the other two swords Lina shot out a combination of ice and fire elemental attacks. All the creatures were either fried or frozen, but still defeated.

Lina sighed putting her swords back and pulling the sword out of the ground.

"More elemental enchanted swords?"

"Yup. They work pretty well -- " Lina couldn't finish off what she was saying because she passed out.


"Hmm... That girl is very resourceful." Rezo the red priest mused as he watched them from his orb. "But no matter how resourceful she may be I will still get the philosophers stone in the end. I will not be denied what I want." Rezo smiled as he turned to one of his servants. "Delgire, I want you to follow them. Make sure that you delay them as much as possible."

"Yes Master Rezo." Delgire bowed before Rezo and set off to do as he was ordered.


Lina woke up to the feel of something cool being put to her face. Lina opened her eyes to see that she was laying on the ground in the forest with Zelgadis looming over her. She took the damp cloth that was on her forehead off and sat up.

"Are you alright?" Zelgadis gave her a hard stare.

"What is that concern I hear? Was little Zel worried about me?" Lina bashed her eyelashes at him over dramatically.

Zelgadis was taken back by that and blushed almost. "N-no! I was just curious! I can't get the philosophers stone without your assistance."

"Whatever." Lina shrugged as she got up and stretched and noted that that wasn't a good course of action. A sudden wave of dizziness washed over her and she almost fell but Zelgadis steadied her. That's when she noticed that her head hurt. She had a small bump on it. Must have hit my head when I passed out. Lina thought as she rubbed her head gingerly.

"What happened?" Zelgadis broke her thoughts.

"Well these little elemental blades can be very handy but it's not like it takes no effort to use their power. It's draining on anyone who uses them and since I've used them so much today and not being a spell caster -- "

"You aren't used to using so much energy and you fainted." Zelgadis finished of.

"Exactly. That and I'm also really hungry. Also you should note that I don't have my thunder one with me right now. I've got all my orihalcon blades at home in a magic rotational circle. All I need to do is hold up one of the ones that I have now and think of the one that I want right now and poof! The two switch."

"I had wondered what had happened to your other one." Zelgadis mused. That's a pretty good idea as long as no one tampers with the swords or the circle itself.

Lina dusted herself off and looked around. She wasn't sure how long she had been out cold but she was hungry.

"Hey Zelgadis how about we deal with that fish now?" Lina said with a smile. Only Zelgadis pointed over to where their fish had been. The fish had been ruined in the fight and was now charged and frozen along with all that trolls and other creatures that surrounded. Even if it had not been affected by Lina's attacks they couldn't eat it. Would you eat fish that had dead carcasses of various vile creatures laying on top it and in it?

Lina's head lowered in disappointment.

Zelgadis gave her a pat on the back. "Come on let's keep going, maybe we'll find some food later."


In another part of the forest Naga and her bodyguard Gourry were trekking off in search of the town being terrorized by the Dragon Fang's dragon.

"Why exactly do we want to go there?"

"OHOHOHOHOH!! To go and get rid of the dragon and get the reward money! What other reason would there be?"

Gourry just shook his head at her. He didn't understand her one bit. But then Gourry didn't really understand any girls at all anyway.

"So Naga do you think that gray cloaked guy is going show up today? And what was it that he wanted from you again?"

Naga crossed her arms deep in thought. "Well I don't know. We haven't seen him in a couple of days now. OHOHOHOH!! But if he thinks he can get my orihalcon statue from me he's got another thing coming! OHOHOHOH!!!"

"So it was that statue that he wanted... What's there to want with a little statue? Why would he want it?"

"Maybe it's because it looks like me and I am a creature of ultimate beauty." Naga said with starry eyes.

Gourry facefaulted.


A few hours later Naga and Gourry approached the town that the dragon was supposedly terrorizing. And the dragon was. People were running and screaming at the black dragon flew overhead knocking down buildings. Naga grabbed one of the freaked out running townspeople by the shirt and pulled him towards him.

"My good man can you tell me where I could find the mayor of this town?"

The townsperson deftly pointed to one of the few still standing buildings in the town. With that Naga put the guy down and he resumed running around screaming like the rest.

Naga with Gourry following close behind went to the building and knocked. As small little old man answered.

"Yes?"

"OHOHOHOH!!!! I am Naga the White Serpent! I have come to deal with your dragon problem!"

"You have? Oh deary me, our town is going to be saved!" The mayor cried out with joy.

"So how much will I be paid?"

The mayor facefaulted and Gourry just sighed.

"You mean you're not going to do it for free?"

"OHOHOHOH!!! You expect me to deal with a dragon and save your city for nothing?! OHOHOHOHOH!!!!"

"Alright I'll pay you, just please stop that laughing!" The mayor shuddered.

"How much?"

"20 gold pieces."

"40."

"40?!??! Are you nuts?!"

"OHOHO -- "

"Alright 30."

"35."

"Grr... fine..."

Naga smiled triumphantly.

"Geesh you're harsh." Gourry commented as they went outside.

Naga choose to ignore that comment. "You know if I'm going to deal with this dragon, I'm going to need it to stop flying around."

"How are you going to do that?"

"With a..." Naga evilly smiled. "Diversion!"

Thus Gourry was sent flying and smacked right into the flying dragon. The dragon confused and annoyed, landed and proceed to smash things.

Naga took this as her opportunity. She softly chanted something under her breath. "STONE DRAGON!" She yelled out at the end of her incantation. Then all of a sudden the ground started to shake and a large stone dragon head emerged from the ground. The dragon that was terrorizing the town turned it's attention to the stone dragon. It's head was huge and when it finally came out completely out of the ground everyone realized that despite it's large head it's body was small.

Everyone facefaulted including the black dragon.

"Naga shouldn't it's body be a bit bigger?"

"OHOHOHOH!! I think it looks perfectly fine!"

The stone dragon wobbled its way over to the black dragon but it's head was too big for it's body that as it approached the black dragon it stumbled and fell and rolled right into it crushing the black dragon under its weight. This really got the black dragon angry.


Ten minutes later...

The black dragon was dead and so was the stone dragon.

"OHOHOHOHOH!!! Well that takes care of that. Now where's my reward?" Naga looked over to the mayor who was coming towards her.

"What reward?!?!? You destroyed the whole city!!!!!!!!"

And then all of a sudden Gourry and Naga found themselves being chased out of the town by angry townspeople whom were armed with pickforks and other lovely makeshift weapons.


"WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE WENT THERE?!?!?!?" Lina screamed at the person she was talking to.

Lina and Zelgadis had just gotten to the town that Naga and her bodyguard were supposed to be in only to find that those two were in fact gone. Naga had left to go deal with the dragon that she should have taken care of before.

"So now we have to go all the way back and head over to that town?!?!" Lina sulked. She knew what was going to end up happening. As soon as they would go to the area that Naga was supposed to be, they would be too late and she was gone. Damn her! Why is it when I try to get away from her that I can't, but the one time I look for her I can't find her at all?!?! Lina hit her head on the table.

Zelgadis just shook his head at her.


Part 5   |   Fanfiction