Part 1


"Xellos, why do you still keep calling me to come out? I keep telling you; we're through."

"But Lina..." Xellos whined, "why can't you just forgive and forget? You know that I love you."

why do these conversations always take place in a cafe like in comics? next, I'll be throwing a glass of drink on his face.

"Xellos. Can you tell me an adequate meaning of love? You, of all people can't know what it means! Why do all males think the word love will have all women at their feet? Think of a new line, won't you?!"

They glared at each other in silence, and the tension hitched up another notch.

Finally, Lina sighed and stood up to leave. "Thanks for the drink," she said bluntly. "Good-Bye."

Xellos looked after her as she walked away. He knew he had to ask. "Lina!!" he called.

She stopped and looked over her shoulder in question.

"Just what is it that I have to say to make you understand? What is it that you want to hear from me that'd make you want to be at my side again?"

The rest of the cafe who had been eavesdropping on the couple's conversation pricked their ears up. What is it that every woman wants to hear anyway? the males wondered.

The red head turned to face him completely. "If," she began slowly, "you really do... love me as you say you do, I think you would know what I want."

Every male there was confused by her answer. Was there really no sense to the female species? Were they supposed to figure out what they wanted and forever be slaves to the female logic?

Xellos smiled and relaxed. "Lina... you don't even know what you want yourself, do you?"

Lina paused. "...You're right, Xel," she said, "I don't. But I know the moment 'he' says it to me, he's the one I'll be with for a long time."

"what the hell?" someone muttered under his breath in a corner somewhere over there.

When Xel didn't reply, Lina felt her heart sink. She walked out of the cafe without another word.


"But Filia, I'm paying the karaoke room fee right now. Can't you make it? It's a saturday, and we have no classes today..."

"No, I honestly can't. I've gotta work; I'm not exactly NOT broke you know. Can't you find someone else?"

"You're the last person in my address book, Filia," Lina complained into her (really cool pink japanese panasonic model) cellphone.

"I'm really sorry, I just can't make it."

Lina said good-bye and flipped her phone shut. She thanked the clerk flatly, and took a song booklet.

"I'm sorry sir, I really am. That girl just now took the last room. We are due to be free in about an hour. Would you like to reserve a room for then?"

"An hour? ... Well. No, it's okay."

Lina stopped and turned at the sound of the familiar voice. "Zelgadiss?" she called hesitantly.

A chimera was standing at the next cashier.

"Lina Inverse?"

"Oh, it is you. You're in my magic class, aren't you?"

He nodded. "Yeah, that's me."

"Would you like to join me?" she offered. "I'd enjoy the company if you don't mind."

"Really? I mean, I'd pay my half of course..."

Lina nodded. "Okay."

The clerk let him by, and Zelgadiss followed Lina to room 669.

"So what are you doing alone today? I've heard from others that you're dating our lecturer. Is he busy or something?"

"Ah no," Lina smiled bitterly. "Actually, we're not dating. That was... just a rumor."

"Oh. I thought so. Who would date Metallium anyway?" he laughed.

An idiot like me, she answered silently. But she laughed aloud anyway.

Zelgadiss closed the door behind him. "So," he said, "Ladies first. By the way, I've also heard that you're a great singer."

"Hey," Lina smiled, "what? Does everyone talk about me or something?"

"...Pretty girls get talked about a lot, don't they?"

"Ha, I'm not pretty," Lina said picking up the booklet. "Let me see, what shall I sing?"

"Megumi Hayashibara?" Zelgadiss suggested.

"Hm? Who's that?"

"A favorite singer of mine, I guess. But she's an anime seiyuu, and my friends laugh when I sing her music... So I seldom get to hear her music in these kinda places..." he said sheepishly.

Lina typed in the name onto the small keyboard, and appearing on the screen was a list of Hayashibara's music.

"Give A Reason? I know that one!" She looked at Zel pointedly. "So, you going to sing it?"

Zel blushed. "... You go ahead. I told you, I just can't sing her music when someone else is listening."

"You could pretend I'm not here..."

"No, it's okay."

Lina shrugged. "Fine! But you had your chance!!"

"I know."

Lina clicked the [okay!] button, and resumed to her seat with a silver mic.

mee magurushie jikan no mure ga
hashiri nukeru machi wa savanna
kawaru ga waru syuuru na nyusu
asu ni nareba dare mo wasureteru

(sakura: and I can't remember the rest, sorry ^^)

"You sound like her, you know," Zelgadiss smiled as she finished. "Like a replica of her voice."

Lina let the mic rest on her lap and shook her head. "Yeah, I wish," she said.

"No, honest. You do. I've never heard someone who sounded so much like her. You could stand in for her and no one would know the difference."

"Stop saying that -- I'm not that good."

"Lina, you -- "

"Anyway!!" she said cutting him off, "it's your turn to sing."

"I keep telling you, I won't sing her music!!" he sighed.

"Who said you're singing her music? You're going to sing Midorikawa Hikaru!!"

"Midorikawa?"

"Oh." Lina's shoulders slumped in disappointment. "You don't know any of his music?"

"It's not that. But... my friends say I sound a lot like him..." (sakura: gee, i wonder why, zel.)

The redhead laughed as she typed in the song's title. "You're kidding. He's my favorite singer!! Now you've really gotta sing [More than Words]!!"


Part 2   |   Fanfiction