Part 3


"You didn't have to tell her," Lina sulked as Zelgadiss placed the reciever back on the phone.

Zelgadiss snorted. "You are the biggest brat I've ever met in my life. If you had just obeyed me, none of this would have happened."

"I dare you to call me a brat again!!" Lina yelled.

"Shut up. We are in the office, and you are to speak at a lower volume!!" he hissed. "And anyway, don' t you try anything, because your sister is coming right now. So sit down."

Lina grumbled at his tone of voice, but reluctantly sat down anyway. She was going to die very soon, and she might as well commit suicide now; that's how intimidating her sister was. She shivered at the thought of her.

Zelgadiss noticed her shaking and felt sorry for her. He sighed and said, "I'm sure she can't be that bad, Lina."

"Oh stop trying to be sympathetic and shuttup, she's not your sister. It's not like you have to live with her," she grumbled.

The door suddenly slid open, and Xellos poked his head in. "Oh look, it's the new student teacher!! And Lina Inverse too."

Zelgadiss nodded his head out of politeness, but honestly, he thought that mazoku was a complete idiot.

Lina groaned. "Oh, can my day get worse...? what is it you want, Xellos!?"

"Nothing," he smiled. "But I believe I can feel your sister's power nearing here, that's all. Just wanted to let you know!!"

And with that encouraging remark, he left.

"I guess we'll use Mr. Gabriev's office for now," Zel sighed.

He opened the door. "Gourry?! What are you doing in here? You're supposed to be at a meeting right now!!"

"I am? But it is lunch time!!"

"I reminded you this morning that there'd be a meeting at lunchti -- oh forget it. Anyway, I need to use your office for a while. Is that ok?"

Without asking why, Gourry innocently compiled and left the room with a small wave and a smile.

Lina seated herself on one of the 2 chairs opposite the desk, and straighted up her tie and collar.

What the hell?! What is Xellos doing? Lina watched him float past the window a second time. He's probably waiting for Luna so he can get on her good side like he did last time... Not that it worked. Serves him right for trying to learn my sister's secrets.

Zelgadiss had also noticed the floating figure, and slammed the windows shut. It was only his FIRST day here, and he was already seeing a student's guardian. Because he was only a student teacher, it was actually Gourry's duty to speak with Lina's sister. But seeing his IQ...

Suddenly, Zel sensed unfathomably high power surrounding him, and he noticed Lina sit up straighter. A knock on the door was heard before it was opened. A tall woman entered. She seemed to have an aura of authority... despite that waitress' uniform she wore. Somehow... her fuschia, shoulder length hair managed to shade her eyes, making her appear even more mysterious...

She seated herself in the seat next to Lina, not bothering to even glance at her sister.

Zelgadiss' silent awe was broken as he remembered what they were doing. "...You must be Lina's sister... I'm sorry to take up your time like this... but... something has occured today that I think you should be notified about."

Lina dipped her head in dread. She could feel her sister's glare at her.

Luna spoke slowly, and with a tone of authority. "I hope," she said, "Lina did NOT disobey any of the school regulations."

Zelgadiss felt even more sorry for that small redhead. The radiant power of this woman was intimidating even him. He sighed inwardly before answering.

"...No, she hasn't."

Lina shot him a hard glance, and Luna saw it.

"It's just that I find that Lina has difficulty in certain aspects of learning," he continuned hesitantly. god, he thought, I shouldn't be lying just to save a student from a lecture. "...and really could do well to improve... her... class participation."

"I do not recall seeing you in this school before. I thought that Gourry Gabrieve was my sister's homeroom teacher."

Zelgadiss could see where this 'waitress' was going. "My name is Zelgadiss Graywords, and I'm a student teacher. Although today was my first day, I had a chance to see Lina's report and class participation in debate today. I will be hereby assisting Mr. Gabrieve in instructing that class."

"I see. Then what do you suggest we do with Lina?"

"...Eh... well, I guess perhaps if there is someone to advise her while doing her homework... But if you don't have time, a tutor would always be a great idea..."

The waitress leaned forward at the idea as if she were interested. "And how much would a tutor cost?" she asked.

He frowned. Cost didn't seem to would have mattered to this woman. But then again, she was a waitress. "Well, when I used to tutor some students, I charged about 20 SD (sailune $) an hour. It's quite reasonable, I thin -- "

"Done. I will pay you exactly that much to tutor my sister."

Lina had had enough of this. How long do they think they can ignore as if I don't exist?! she thought angrily. But before she could object, Luna stood up to leave. "Is this settled, Mr. Graywords?" It seemed more of a statement than a question.

Recovering from the 'shock', he regained his composure before answering. "I'm not so su -- "

He was interrupted by a sudden burst through the door. "ZELgadiss!!" Xellos exclaimed, "I'm sure you would do well to do what Miss Luna asks of you."

"... Xellos," Zelgadiss whispered though clenched teeth, "that wasn't my original intentio -- "

"Miss Luna, I'll personally see that he tutors Lina Inverse and that she improves where she needs to."

Luna nodded, and suddenly disappeared into thin air. (I wonder if she can do that? ><'')

Lina and Zelgadiss didn't stop glaring at Xellos.


Zelgadiss closed the door behind Lina as she stormed out of the office.

"Just because you are of superior rank to me, Xellos, that does not mean you can make my decisions for me! It is because of you that now I'm obliged to tutor that immature brat!!"

"Oh calm down, Zelgadiss," Xellos smiled, carefully prying his collar from Zel's strong grip. "You DO know that Lina's sister is the Knight of Ceipheid, don't you?"

"... O-of course I don't know!! But even if she were, she doesn't have the right to use her title to intimidate people into doing what she wants done!"

"You've a lot to learn, Zel-chan..."

"Fuck."


Part 4   |   Fanfiction