Part 1


Zelgadiss watched Lina in the fighting ring. The redhead girl was taking on 15 opponents simultaneously, and enjoying herself too. He and everyone other student in their Phys Ed class knew that she was trying to show off her combat skills to Zel, himself.

The students sat at the edge of the mat in the center of the gymnasium in fear. Lina, pretty that she may be, was the most heartless female in the whole school. One thing said to upset her and you were a goner in this life and the next and perhaps the one after as well. It was said that she got her intimidating aura from her sister, who was even more frightening than her; if one can believe such a person existed.

However, there was one person wasn't afraid of her, and this ONE person could stand up to her and beat her if he willed. His name was --

"Zelgadiss!" a voice whispered into the chimera's ear, "did you just see that? She smiled at you just now!!"

"You mean the smile that says 'watch me you freak and learn'?" he replied flatly, eyes still trained on her.

He sweatdropped. "...I think that's the one..."

She moved gracefully, but each blow she threw at her classmates was like hitting someone with a metal rod. They all lay flat on the ground at her feet. She smiled with satisfaction, and returned to her place beside Zelgadiss.

"Think you can do better?" she whispered in a low tone.

He shrugged non-commitally, still staring straight ahead.

"Zelgadiss Graywords," the teacher called. "Please select the number of opponents you would like from 1 - 15."

"15."

The teacher gestured to 15 other students who were already halfway out the gymnasium door trying to escape.

"Ha," Lina said glancing up at him as he stood.

"Watch," he shrugged.

"I am," she retorted.

Her proud air suddenly changed as he bowed and positioned himself for attack. Hers and every other students' mouth hung open as they watched him begin. He moved so fast, his arms were a blur. In fact, one couldn't even see him hit each individual. In the next instant, they were all down on the mat.

The chimera returned to his place beside Lina, and blushed when the teacher complimented him. Just as Lina was about to retort a not-so-nice comment back at him, the school bell rang to indicate lunch. They gymnasium was emptied in an instant, save our 2 main characters.

"Lina," Zelgadiss called quietly to the walking figure ahead of him.

She stopped. "What?"

"Wait," he said catching up with her.

The redhead turned to completely face him. "What? You want to take it out right here?"

"I was just wondering..." he said, ignoring her last comment. "if you were ... free today..."

A moment of silence passed before she replied with a creased eyebrow ::and:: a blush. "W-wh...I mean,... No."

"You're not?"

"No, I'm n-not. I've got to go straight home. I'm s-sorry," she tried to say as if she didn't care. She turned towards the changing room.

He grabbed her wrist and tugged gently and she faced him again.

"But... I'm leaving."

"E? Leaving what?" she asked. She laughed uneasily. "Leaving school? Leaving Tokyo?"

Her heart slowly sank when he nodded. "I'm going to study in the US... for a while. They have accepted me."

It all came back to her.

Amelia telling her the 'latest news'. They were offering courses for certain students. Have to excell in fighting skills. Have to be good in magic. And in academics too. Lina, why don't you try applying? You may be able to get in.

Why would I want to go to the states when I'm happy where I am?

Because, Amelia had said, Zelgadiss Graywords probably will. He's all that and more.

Che, she had replied. If he's going, ... I'm not.

If you say so.

"...let go of my arm."

"Oh," Zelgadiss blushed and quickly released her wrist. "I'm sorry."

"I suppose..." Lina murmured looking as if she were talking to the floor, "you could walk me home later...if you like."

He nodded earnestly. "I'll wait for you at the gate... See you later." He waved good-bye as jogged over to the changing room.

She awkwardly waved back to her 'rival'.

He seemed so distant.


"Lina, you're not going to eat?!" Filia cried.

The statement made the rest of the students at their bench look up in surprise.

"No..." she sighed. "I don't feel like it."

"Why not?!"

"I'm just not hungry, I guess."

Filia stared at her in astonishment, and watched the redhead pull out a plastic bag from her satchel. A pair of knitting sticks came out of the bag soon after.

"Lina, are you feeling alright?" the blonde pressed.

"Sure."

Filia glanced at Sylphiel and Amelia. Neither knew what was wrong either.

Lina held up a half-finished yellow sweater. "What do you guys think?"

"It's very nice," Sylphiel commented. "Who's it for?"

"Myself, I suppose." At least, now it is, she added silently.

"Isn't it rather big for you?" Amelia asked, "Or is it the fashion?"

"Fashionable," she said bluntly. She pulled the ball of wool out, and slid the sweater seems into place.

Only the clicks of the knitting needles were heard from Lina after that.


The school bell to rung to indicate the end of the last class.

"Bye, Naga!"

"Ohohohohohohoho!!"

"See you tomorrow!!"

"A-are you taking the bus today, Gourry-sempai?"

"Good-bye, sensei!!"

"Lina," Filia said, slipping her jacket on. "Do you want to go out for a while? To the city?"

The redhead tied the laces to her shoes. "No, I'm sorry. I'm meeting someone."

"Oh really? Who?" They both walked toward the school gate.

"Zelgadiss Graywords."

"Zelgadiss?!" Filia cried. Lina was getting stranger by the minute. "... But... aren't you both...well... rivaling? I mean, you're both always trying to best eachother."

"Oh well," Lina smiled uncomfortably.

"...Lina...?"

"Yes?"

"Is that yellow sweater for him?"

"..."

Filia smiled knowingly. "Anyway, I think that's him at the gate over there..."

"Thanks, Filia. See you."

"Bye."


"Where do you live, Lina?" he asked.

"I'll show you..."

They both walked in silence. Students passed by, and their heads turned as they saw the unlikely couple walking together.

Isn't that Lina with Zelgadiss over there?

It looks like it!!

And they aren't arguing either!

Will wonders never cease?!

Lina's arms tightened around her school bag at the whispers. "Zelgadiss?"

He glanced at her in question. "Yes?"

"Do you want to go to the Tokyo tower?"

"...Didn't you say you needed to go home?" he asked.

She shrugged. "I have time."

They arrived at the station, in time for the 3:30 train. Lina sat down, and he stood at her side; looking out the window. The buildings whizzed by... She could see the tower in a distance.

Lina glanced at Zel and caught his eye. She decided to break the uncomfortable silence.

"So when are you leaving, Zelgadiss?" she questioned quietly.

"..The 24th. I need to leave early so that I can settle my accomodation before the holidays are over."

"On Christmas eve?"

"Actually... I'm taking the 8 am plane. I suppose... my last day here is on the emperor's birthday."

"I see..."

It was strange talking to him. After 2 years of constant competition, they were finally talking to eachother -- not shouting. How ironic that it was only 4 days before his departure.

It's also strange how hatred can transform itself into its antonym. Of course, pride would never let either of them reveal it to the other. Funny how fate likes to play with people.

The train stopped, and passengers quickly exited. Students wanted to get home as soon as possible, and housewives hurriedly rushed out so the super markets wouldn't close before they got there.

The pair left the train slowly, in silence.


The elevator to the top of the tower opened, and they entered. "Welcome to the Tokyo tower," a metallic voice spoke. "We hope you enjoy your stay."

In a matter of seconds, the elevator slowed down, and the door slid open once again.

Zelgadiss bought two drinks from a nearby vending machine, and they walked over to the window that overlooked the city. Lina had been here a million times, but this time it seemed different.

"Zelgadiss..." Lina said as she leaned over the bars, and he glanced at her. "Is there something you want to tell me?"

"What... do you mean?" He sipped at his can.

"I mean... why did you choose to tell me that you were leaving...?"

"I thought... it would be best not to leave on bad terms with anybody."

"Were we on bad terms?"

"I didn't think we were on good terms..."

"So...you're trying to say you want us to be... well... friends?"

"Do you mind?"

She sighed and reached for 100 yen coin from her purse. She slid it into the slot beneath the telescope next to her, and peered into the lenses. Things were getting clearer, and she could make out the tiny windows on the buildings below.

"Of course not," she said finally. "I guess I'd rather be friends with someone than a rival. Except with Naga, of course."

He flung his bag over his shoulder and smiled. "She can't be that bad."

"If only you knew.. oh!" She looked up from the lens. "These places are so expensive. 100 yen for only 30 seconds..."

He reached into his pocket and found a 500 yen coin, and slid it in. "Now you have 3 minutes."

"You didn't have to do that, you know."

"I know."

She swerved the telescope to the left, and then slowly to the right again. "Look, Zelgadiss! This, is where I live. In that tiny building right behind that shopping center over there."

Zel peered into it, and noticed the white building. "You live close to the city..."

"It's convenient," she said.

They took an eye-hole each, and looked at the city below them.

"You know what, Zel?"

"It's strange hearing you call me Zel," he said lightly. "But what is it?"

"Even though we've stopped competing, I still... would like to know just which one of us is stronger."

"We could find out."


They stopped outside a game arcade.

"Zel... I don't think they'll let us in with our school uniform on."

"I know these people. They'll let us in. Hey, Rodimus."

"Hey Zelgadiss. You're lucky, your grandfather isn't here right now. You can play all you want."

"Thanks."

Lina followed him in, and sure enough, no one stopped her. "Zel, does your family own this place?"

"Kinda. What do you want to play?"

"I don't play these kind of games, Zel!! The only things I can do are those dance machines and I can't play in this short skirt..."

He thought a moment. "Then let's play with those."

He gestured toward a colorfully lit machine. Toys were arranged neatly across it, and beneath each of them were two lights. (If you don't know this game, you are meant to select the toy you want by clicking the light beneath toy you want. The second light blinks around the machine REALLY fast. When the light turns on at the toy you've selected, then you win a point!! You have five tries to get three points. When you get three points, the toy is deposited at the bottom. ^^ So cute, yes?!? ^^ But it's actually a really hard game to play. My friends and I can never win anything...;_:'')

"Zel!! Stop paying for everything!! We've play about 40 times and I owe you a tonne of money now!!"

"No you don't," he said slamming his hand onto the button.

He missed again. "Dammit," he cussed.

Lina laughed. "Here," she said pushing his hand away from the coin slot and sticking one from her own purse in, "try again. Maybe it'll work with my coin."

They ended up not winning anything.


She felt comfortable talking to him. But... she felt so 'stupid' for being so ridiculous towards him...

"I thought that was supposed to determine who was better, Zel," she said looking up at him.

"I guess we won't ever know."

Lina stopped. "This is where I live, Zel.... Thank... you for today.."

"It's okay."

"I'll see you at school tomorrow?" she said pushing the glass door open.

"I'm... not going to be at school tomorrow," he said quietly, looking down at her.

"What?" she asked. "Why not?"

"I've got things to settle down. Today was my last day of school."

"But today's the 19th. We only have 3 days of school left..." she protested.

"I know," he said gently. "But it can't be helped..."

She'd never heard him so gentle before.

But this was the worst he'd hurt her yet.

"I hope you do well in the states."

"Thanks."

She shrugged non-comitally. Zelgadiss watched her climb the stairs until she disappeared.


Lina unlocked the front door and slammed it behind her.

She greeted Luna out of politeness and shut herself in her room.

She undid the yellow knit sweater till all that was left of it was a pile of woolen string of the floor.


Part 2   |   Fanfiction