Part 3


"We have to make our advances soon, whilst their number is still small. If we wait too long, their numbers may increase."

"So? Our number is smaller still. Currently, there are only 56 people under all of us here..."

"But we have the advantage of magic, Phil."

"We musn't forget the mazoku. Shabranigndo and hell knows who else on their side. Shabranigdo alone could mean much harm towards us all."

Lina sat back against the wall, and tuned out of the discussion. Frankly, she didn't care how they did it, so long as they succeeded. She glanced distractedly out the window, which stood opposite the sea. The full moon reflected off the sea and into the woods where - ...what the hell?

She immediately leaned forward, gaining the small group's attention, and halting all conversation. "There's someone watching us outside."

"What?"

"What shall we do, Phil?" asked Gourry, reaching for his hilt.

"Lina?"

"Let me go and rid of him. Here, pretend to go on, and I'll leave quietly. Alright?"

The leader nodded. "Do you want Gourry to go with you?"

Lina shook her head. "I'll give a signal if I need help."

She tightened her mask, and smiled as Filia squeezed her hand lightly.


If only I could get closer and hear what they're saying..., Zelgadiss thought. He leapt to a nearby tree. Hey, one of them's coming out. Should I follow? He...I mean, she... Well, it looks female so far, aside from her chest. She's going through her sleeve pockets. What the hell is she doing?


He's on that tree, he's on that tree. I can't miss now, he's right there. Tucking a small dart beneath her thumb, Lina glanced at the shadow out of the corner of her eye. She inhaled a deep breath, and with power, swung her arm back and released the dart.


"Fuck!" Zel cussed under his breath. I've been found out. He had barely moved out of the way, and the viper had just skinned his fore arm. He leapt off the tree, and onto the ground. Upon looking up, he noticed the ninja coming towards him. Shit shit shit shit shit. Damn. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to kill her. "Mega brando!"

Lina shielded herself. He knows magic?'she thought, releasing a fireball. 'So much for low profile.

He levitated away from the spell as it hit a tree. Fireballs. Simple spells. No need for worry. The thought flew from his mind as a series of freeze arrows came in his direction. He darted out of the way as he released a flare arrow.

Distracted, Lina shielded herself again, not noticing the spy moving quickly behind her. Nor did she expect to be pulled back into the grasp of him.

"Little bitch," the voice whispered.

His clamp on her tightened as she struggled to free herself.

"Let. Go. Of. Me," Lina said through clenched teeth.

Zelgadiss laughed. "Let's see who you really are, shall we?"

As he reached for the string behind her head, a sudden beam of light flashed before both their eyes, and Lina felt her arms being slowly released.

She whipped around to find Gourry with his sword of light. "Gourry...! Thank goodness..."

"I know," he smiled. "But go check him out first..."

Lina nodded and bent down towards the fallen figure, turning him over.

"Rah Tilt!"

"Lina!" Gourry cried, running over. "You bastard!" he shouted towards the predator, ray winging away.


Hell, that was close... Zel thought, casting a healing spell on his arm. A neat streak had been sliced through his muscle, and fuck, it hurt. That sword... That sword looked so familiar... He had caught sight of that blonde swordsman and his brilliantly bright sword. 'Oh well...It'll come to me. But what the hell am I going to tell Shabranigdo?!"


"Zelgadiss failed his mission?"

"Yes, general. I was just informed."

"Informed? Informed by who, Xellos?"

"Sorewa Himetsu Desu."

"I asked, 'who'?"

Xelloss looked up, and smiled. "Let's just say an agent of mine, sir."

Satisfied, Shabranigdo relaxed again, and sat back in his large chair. "Even Zelgadiss..."

"Sorry, General?" First time he's ever been unsucessful... Have I underestimated them? "Nothing... Xellos. I want you to research on the group I assigned Zelgadiss. Find everything you can about them. Then report back to me. Understood?"

"Yes, sir."

Xellos resisted the urge to laugh as he turned to the door.


Part 4   |   Fanfiction