Part Four: In Which Discoveries are Made


Author's Prologue

Shira: wan wan Waai! Part Four is finally out!! And the villagers rejoice!

Minna: unenthusiastically Yay.

Shira: blissfully ignores their lack of enthusiasm I'm on a roll, man! I actually know what I'm doing from here on out!! Yay! Well, onto the fic!


Lina dashed through the tall reeds of the marshes, with Zelgadis and Gourry not far behind. They had to get to Wolf Pack Island as soon as possible. Lina knew that Xellos was up to something big, but what was it? And why, of all people, did he insist on following them? Ever since Gourry had brought up the fact that Xellos was most likely a mazuko, a million thoughts had been rushing through her head.

"If he's a mazuko," she thought to herself, "Why hasn't he done anything to us yet? He's led us on and all, but he hasn't done anything serious. maybe he wants something from us first?" She shook her head. "Well, we'll find out soon enough." She said aloud.

"What was that, Lina?" Gourry asked.

She waved a gloved hand at him. "Oh, nothing. Just thinking out loud."

"Lina, look out!" Zelgadis yelled. Lina came to a screeching halt as something jumped out in front of her. Lina groaned as she realized exactly who, or what, it was.

"Hi, Miss Lina!" Amelia exclaimed enthusiastically. "I heard you were on a great adventure, so I came to help! Beware, evil doers, Amelia shall smite thee with the hammer of justice!"

Lina, Gourry and Zelgadis all facevaulted. "Amelia," Lina said, exasperated, "We are on a very dangerous mission here. Go home!"

Amelia set her face in a determined expression. "No, Miss Lina! I will help you fight for justice against the forces of evil!"

"Hmm. She's got it partially right this time!" Gourry noted.

Lina sighed. "All right, Amelia, but don't blame me if we don't come back alive." Lina voiced the thought that all three of them had been thinking about since they set out for Wolf Pack Island. She had a knack for being painfully blunt.

"Ano. Lina?" Gourry inserted, "How can she blame us if she's dead?"

Lina rolled her eyes. "Use your imagination!" She looked over at Gourry, who appeared to be concentrating very hard. She groaned. "Never mind, Gourry. I don't want you to hurt yourself." She muttered.

Gourry brightened. "Really, Lina? You mean you don't want to see me get hurt?"

"All right, let's just get going." Zelgadis interjected. "The sooner we get to Wolf Pack Island, the better."

Amelia crashed to the ground. "W-Wolf Pack Island?! We're going to the Wolf Pack Island?! Home of mazukos?!"

Lina nodded. "That's right."

The princess groaned. "What have I gotten myself into now?"


Later that night, everyone had gone to sleep except Lina. She poked absently at the fire, deep in thought. "Once we get to Wolf Pack Island. then what?" She wondered. "We might actually die there. We can't just go marching in there without a plan." She looked toward the ground, eyes squeezing shut. "THINK, Inverse, THINK!" She commanded herself aloud.

"Ano. Lina-chan? Are you all right?" Came a worried voice from behind her. She whirled around at the unseen assailant, and sighed in relief when she saw Gourry approaching her from his tent.

"Yeah, I'm fine Gourry. Just thinking. I thought you were asleep!" She chided.

"Yeah, I was. But then I woke up." Was his reply with typical Gabriev brilliance. Then, he looked serious. "Lina, I want to ask you something important."

Lina blinked, and looked over at Gourry. "What is it Gourry?"

The swordsmen sat down next to Lina on the log. He took a deep breath. "Do you. hate me, Lina?"

Lina's eyes widened. "No! Of course I don't hate you!"

Gourry looked down to the ground, eyes still sad. "It's just that you're always yelling at me and hitting me. and then you go off and say nice stuff to me. it gets kinda confusing."

Lina hesitated. "Gourry. I don't hate you. I never have, and I never will."

Gourry looked back up at her, mixed emotions of relief and apprehension on his face. "Then why do you always hit me?"

This time it was Lina who sighed and looked to the ground. "I'm not sure.. maybe it has something to do with the fact that I grew up with a big sister who always hit ME." She shifted uncomfortably. "It's just an automatic reaction."

Gourry looked thoughtful. "So, you don't really mean to hit me. it just happens?"

Lina looked back up at the swordsmen. "Yeah, in a nutshell."

Gourry grinned. "Good! Because, I." he bit his lip against what he was about to say. She'd kill him for sure then! But she just said that she didn' t mean to hit him... she didn't hate him. but dear God, what would she say if he TOLD her?!

Lina peered up at him questioningly. "You what, Gourry?"

His eyes widened, and his heart started beating faster. "I-I can't!! You'll kill me!" He said nervously.

Lina sighed patiently. "No, Gourry, I won't kill you."

Gourry still looked skeptical. "P-promise?"

"I promise."

"Well. all right then." He cleared his throat. "Lina, I - " He was interrupted by a crashing sound from the other side of the camp.

They looked at each other. "Let's go!" Lina shouted, grabbing his arm and running towards the direction of the sound.

Gourry cursed himself mentally. He had ALMOST told her. He was that close! If only that noise hadn't happened. wait a second, the noise. that was why he was running!

Just then Lina halted, eyes wide. "Dear God." Lina whispered.

"Dame dess!" Gourry exclaimed. "It's. horrible!"

The village ahead of them had been reduced to a crater. The only thing left that could signify that a village had been there was the half-burnt sign in front of the crater.

"Lina, what village was that?" He half-turned to Lina, and he saw her on her knees, eyes watering. Gourry knelt down beside her, worried. "Lina, what's wrong?"

"Zephilia." she whispered, "That was my hometown, Zephilia."


Author's Epilogue

Lina: O.o;; What did you do?!

Shira: winces Gomen!! I didn't mean for it to get serious!!

Lina: Forget serious!! You blew up my hometown!!

Shira: running around the room in SD form, papers flying from her hands I'll fix it, I'll fix it!!

Lina: growls Darn RIGHT you'll fix it!

Amelia: enters Hi, Miss Lina! It's so great to be a part of your team again!

Lina: blink blink slowly turns back to Shira You....

Shira: Ah... heh... heh... gulp

Lina: ARRGGHHH! pounces on Shira

Zelgadis: quickly closes the door sweatdrop Whooboy.

(monitor winks out)


Part 5   |   Fanfiction