Part 4: Strange Memories


"Red! Hey, Red!"

The Red Dragon Sister looked up from her paper. "Hm? Yes, Orange?"

The young girl squealed. "Don't you remember?! We actually go out in the field today!"

"That's right!" Red sighed, looking at the record paper. "I just need to finish sorting this. Wouldn't be good for Blue to come here, and have our records in a mess, would it?"

Orange rolled her eyes. "What you want." She left, whistling happily.

Red shrugged. In all truth, she had remembered. But the work had to be done! The Sister looked at the remaining papers. With a sigh, she picked up the next one, and scanned it for the hometown. "Hm. Relika... Atlas City! And..."

She stopped. The paper slid from her nerveless fingers as she sat there, stunned.

Blue. That was Blue's paper. But... it said Yani. From Sailoon. Red picked the paper up again, and scanned it.

Yani, 20 years old, born in Sailoon. Was... WAS?! Um, was a priestess. She used to do magic? Became the Blue Dragon Sister... SIXTY YEARS AGO?! The paper fell again.

She NEVER mentioned that to me. And I thought I knew everything there was about her. Red shook her head, and placed the record in the proper place. "Alright," she said aloud. "Next, Gracia. Princess of Sailoon, ran away, became..."

Red put the paper down. "Became the Black Dragon Sister. But... this..." she spluttered. "Gracia isn't... she can't..." She rubbed her ruby eyes, and picked the record up to read again. She became the leader Blue answers to. Gracia became insane, took the name of Naga, and ran away. Red blinked. "Oh, Cepheed. This is..."

After filing the record, she picked up the last one.

Lina Inverse. Born in Zelphilia. A very powerful sorceress, her sister is the Knight of Cepheed. Ironically, Lina mastered the Mazoku spell Dragu Slave, and is called the Dragon Spoocr. Became the Red Dragon Sister a year ago.

Red threw the paper, and wiped her hands on her legs. "It can't be!" she insisted. "I'm not Lina! I would have remembered that!" She shook her head. "I'm the Red Dragon Sister!"

But what was your name before that? a mental voice whispered. You weren't always the Red Dragon Sister.

I was! I... The thought died off as she remembered. I remember, one day, I was so excited because I would be a Dragon Sister. But... what was my NAME?!

"Come ON, Red!" Orange insisted. "Get your dagger, and let's GO!"

"I-I'm coming!" she said, and slid on her dagger's sheath. "I'm here. Let's go."

"Hey! Why don't we go to Zelphilia first?" the green eyed, brown haired Yellow suggested. "Meet the Knight of Cepheed!"

Red almost choked. If she really was Lina, wouldn't the Knight know? How... how would she react? "Sounds great," she finally got out.

Her two companions eyed her suspiciously. "Sounds like you know something we don't," Orange said. "What's she like?"

Red shook her head. "I don't know it. It's just... getting to meet the Knight... it's a big honor." She mentally crossed her fingers, hoping the truth would hide the real reason she sounded like that.

It did. "Well, let's go!" Yellow said, holding her arm into the sky. "To Zelphilia!"


Luna Inverse smiled graciously as she set the mug down. The hooded man nodded to her, and started delicately sipping the hot beverage. She went to get the next order, chuckling to herself.

Somehow, I think that if he knew I was Lina's big bad sister, he wouldn't be here, she thought with amusement. There was a slight tingling in the back of her mind, a familiar one. Dragon Sisters. Hm, I haven't met Red yet. I wonder...

She turned, and, only out of long practice, did not drop her tray. Her face took on an expression of anger. "Damn," she whispered. "Damn, damn, DAMN!"

Red tilted her head, her red hair spilling over her shoulders and her similarly colored eyes worried. Worried, confused, and... a little scared? "Damn, damn, damn..." Luna put down the tray, and yelled back at her manager that she was taking a break, NOW. "Hello," she said, trying to be cordial. "Dragon Sisters? It's nice to see you."

Two of them, Orange and Yellow, nodded, smiling like idiots. Red forced a smile. Luna tried not to ball her hands into fists. "I haven't had the chance to talk to Red yet. Would you come with me?"

The Red Dragon Sister nodded, slightly pale. They walked outside the inn, and Luna turned around, anger plain on her face.

"How the HELL did you become a Dragon Sister?" she hissed. "I thought you wouldn't be chosen... oh, HELL!" Luna turned around, throwing her hands up in the air. "I tried my best, and you still..." Her voice broke slightly.

"Knight-sama?"

"Don't," Luna whispered. "Don't call me that." She turned around tears running down her face. "Please, my sister..."

Red gasped. "I... Oh, Cepheed, Knight-sama, how? HOW CAN I NOT REMEMBER?!" Her hands balled up into fists. "I don't remember anything. Why am I afraid of you? Why can't I remember saving the world, and learning magic, and... and..." The girl started to breathe heavily as she tried not to cry. "And... why can't I remember my friends?"

"Cepheed thought it would be best," Luna said. "To have completely obedient helpers. Even if... it cost them their old lives..." She gathered Red up in her arms. "I didn't ever want this, Lina. I'm immune to the memory alter. I don't know why, but I am..." A thought occurred to her. "I may know a way to get your memory back."

"Hm?" Red hummed, trying to get her tears under control.

"Go on an adventure. With your old friends. One's here in the inn, Zelgadis Greywords." Luna pulled back, wiping Red's eyes. "Familiar settings, familiar circumstances. It might break through the block."

"But... what about Orange and Yellow?"

Luna chuckled. "Don't worry about it. I'll take care of them." She kissed Red's cheek. "I love you, Sis. When you remember your past, please remember this as well."

Red nodded uncomfortably. "I will. So, how will I travel with Zelgadis?"

The Knight smiled wildly. "Use your charm, Sis!" She waved as she went back into the inn. "I need to get back to work. But you'll be fine. I know it."

Red took a deep breath, and walked back into the inn. She looked around, and saw the hooded, masked man sitting alone. I remember from my studies that Zelgadis always went around hooded and masked because he was a chimera. Is this...? She shook her head, and sat down at the table.

"Are you Zelgadis Greywords?"


Part 5   |   Fanfiction