Chapter 2: HUH?? Xelloss' Past??


She found herself lying on the ground, in the middle of a city upon regaining her awareness. She sat up slowly, staring around her in bafflement. Where was she? Was she still in Xelloss' mind? She slowly stood, and took a look around. She appeared to be in some town of a sort, rural and quiet. There were some children running happily about laughing, and the occasional neighbor chatting with a friend.

She stepped out into the main square, and turned about, frowning. The style of the buildings..... the clothing.... Everything was so out of date and ancient, like she'd never seen before. Her outfit seemed to stand out strongly in the village of plainly dressed people. However, no one paid her the least bit of attention.

Her attention was drawn by the sudden calling of a voice. "Oi! Wait up An'u!" She turned about to see a young boy, about 10 or so, dashing down the street to catch a taller but skinnier boy by the arm. As the taller boy turned, she immediately recognized him. He was much younger than she knew him as, but it was no doubt the same person whom she was looking at.... Xelloss..... The purple hair, though it fell long down his back in a ponytail, the sharp high features and narrow bones, and the secret smile on his face. Though she noticed almost immediately that his eyes were a brilliant emerald green color, not the amethyst purple she was so familiar with.

Realization dawned to her slowly. "Xelloss was human once......" She stared at the two boys as they talked, trying to sort out things in her mind. "Human...... but how did he become Mazoku then?" She walked towards them, hoping to get some answers to her questions.

"So so so? Any news?" They kid was asking in an excited voice. "Come on! Come on An'u! Tell me!"

The teen who looked like Xelloss laughed merrily, a lighthearted friendly laugh. "My my my aren't we curious!" He leaned forward and tapped the boy's nose. "You want to know?"

"Yes! Yes!"

"You reaaaaaally want to know?"

"Yes! I do I do!"

"All right then....." He leaned forward to the boy's ear and smiled. "The truth is....... Sore wa himitsu desu!"

Lina smiled in spite of herself, having figured that's what he would say. The boy however looked crestfallen. "No fair! Come on! Stop playing games An'u! Tell me!" he whined, looking hurt.

An'u laughed again and tweaked the boy's nose. "Come on Marik.... If I told you then the surprise would be spoiled now wouldn't it!" he started walking and Marik jogged beside him, Lina trailing them both to listen in on the conversation.

"But you ALWAYS keep that stuff from me." Marik whined. "I want to know! Please please please?"

An'u laughed again and wrapped his arm around the boy in a headlock. "I said.... Sore wa himitsu desu!"

Lina had to keep herself from laughing as Marik struggled in An'u's grasp. "Come ooooonnn....." He whined. "NO fair....."

An'u let him go with a smirking grin. "Give up yet?"

Marik sighed and looked discouraged. "You're no fun.... Why won't you tell me?"

An'u shrugged as they passed by the marketplace crowded with people shopping for their food and daily items. "Because, then it wouldn't stay a secret. You know how much you blab about things to others. This is a surprise party, and it's staying that way."

Marik sighed. "Honestly, you're so difficult!"

"Yep, that's me, stubborn as a mule." An'u said cheerfully.

Lina was bemused by this. He was totally different from the Xelloss she knew..... he was cheerful, happy, and friendly. He joked and had that certain flair of his that she recognized, but he wasn't the same...... he was nicer.....

She followed the two as they strode through the city, having discovered by now that she was invisible to the others, since this was a flashback on the past and she had not been there, so couldn't influence anything. However, the question that danced about in her mind was how this person could transform into the maniacal trickster..... She'd never thought about what his past might have been like, other than destroying a huge army of dragons with one finger. She had assumed that Xelloss had been born a monster just like the rest of them, never had she suspected that he might have been anything else....

Finally, the two boys and their unseen follower were at the edge of the town, and they stopped over a bridge by the river border. "So.... I'm supposed to be in costume tonight?" Marik asked looking up with wide blue eyes. "Any costume?"

"That's right. The party's at the meeting hall in the coliseum. Don't be late now." An'u winked at Marik with a smile. "Believe me, it'll be fun!" He hugged the boy playfully.

"You still won't tell me who's party it is?" he whined looking up with upset eyes. "Come on, everyone is DYING to know!"

An'u merely winked. "See you tonight!" And he turned and strode over the bridge following the path while Marik stood at the edge of the town watching his form disappear.

Lina smiled and shook her head, then followed An'u down the path, jogging to keep up with him. When she'd pulled up next to him, she took the time to look at the young Xelloss. He actually looked just as old as he did now, only his hair was longer and his eyes were a bright emerald green that mirrored the grass landscape around them. His face was open and friendly, not sly and conniving. He didn't look anything like the trickster she knew, and she found herself wondering more and more about Xelloss..... who was he really? This simple boy? It hardly seemed possible.

After walking about a mile's distance, and Lina's stomach complaining loudly the whole way to deaf ears, they reached a house in the hillsides that looked quite rich and well taken care of. An'u headed up the path to the house, and entered it, immediately bounding up some stairs off of the entryway, passing by a middle aged woman who looked like him. "Oi, take it easy I just waxed the floors!" She scolded shaking a finger at his disappearing figure.

"Sorry!" Came the shouted reply as he dashed around the corner.

Lina watched the woman shake her head in amusement. "Young boys.... So full of energy." And with that the woman headed back into the house.

Lina climbed up the stairs and wandered around until she found An'u throwing clothes out of a trunk on the floor onto a bed hurriedly. She sat down on the bed and relaxed as he dug through the trunk, occasionally muttering curses under his breath. Finally, he pulled out a folded bundle of black fabric, and unfolded it to reveal the all too familiar cloak that Xelloss always wore. Lina stared at him with suspicion, but saw his green eyes examining the fabric closely. "Damn moths..... " He mumbled fingering a hole in the cloak, then tossing it on the bed and digging through some more clothing. Finally, he had laid his entire ensemble out, and it was not surprising for Lina to discover that it was Xelloss' wardrobe that lay on the bed. An'u then proceeded to strip as Lina blushed and looked away discreetly, though he had no idea she was there, and dressed in the ensemble. When he'd finished, Lina glanced back to see a younger version of Xelloss admiring himself in the mirror. Against the door frame rested a staff similar to what he usually carried, but it was only a simple wooden one. He had no cloak clasp either, and the whole outfit resembled an older style to it, as if it was some antique.

Then, as Lina watched, An'u took a knife and carefully began to cut his hair short to his chin....... Her breath held in her chest as he looked at his finished work, and she shook her head in amazement at how uncanny it was to see him this way.

A voice called from downstairs, and he snatched his staff and left with Lina trailing him.

"An'u..... did you remember to deliver the letter I gave you?" the woman was saying. "I just remembered that I forgot to tell you who it was for."

An'u entered the dining room and Lina leaned against the wall looking around as he snatched a bite to eat. "Yes mother, I figured out who it was for." He turned. "You're sure that you can't come help decorate early? We need the help."

The woman paused in her work and smiled at him. "You know I couldn't do that dear. This is your party, and I have a lot of work to do besides. I will be there though on time as promised."

"Will Father be coming?"

"Yes, I believe so. He said he would take off early."

Lina was trying hard to snitch some of the food from the table behind their backs, but having no luck as her hand passed right through it. She cursed and scowled to deaf ears, and then sighed and leaned against the wall listening to them again.

An'u nodded and snatched another roll. "Then I'll be going. Don't be late, k?"

The woman nodded. "Yes dear.... Oh, why did you cut your hair?" She asked looking up with a curious look on her face. "I though you liked it long."

He shrugged. "All part of the plan." And with that he exited through the door with Lina on his heels, and started jogging back towards town. She cast a Ray Wing spell to keep up with his fast pace, and took time to look around her whereabouts. It seemed to be in the Northern Province, the mountain region. A small village, but of course it may not exist anymore, she thought knowing Xelloss was over 1000 years old.

They reached the coliseum and entered to find two people standing guard at the entrance. As An'u passed, they both grinned and waved him through. He headed into the main arena, and Lina nearly gasped aloud at seeing the platforms, tables, decorations, and festive artifacts decorating the gigantic arena. She stopped for several minutes just to admire the place, and found herself dizzied by the decorations. It had the appearance of a gigantic masque ball, with illusionists, gypsies, and games set up everywhere overrun by decorations. People were busy setting more things up the whole time, and she followed An'u to the center where some girls were decorating a flower ordained gazebo.

"How's it going?" He asked with a smile to the group. "Need anything?"

"Nope, we've got it all ready An'u-san!" One small child piped up. "All the flowers are staying fresh!"

He nodded. "Wonderful!" He walked into the gazebo and looked around it critically and nodded in agreement. "Great, I can't thank you girls enough for all the help you've donated here!"

They giggled and nodded with blush rising on their cheeks. "Hai An'u-san, you know you can always come to us!"

He smiled warmly at them, then began his rounds through out the stadium. Lina followed, not really paying attention to the actions, but looking around and taking in the scenery. What was he planning this time? He continued to prepare for the so-called party, and the light began to fade. Torches were put up and lit, and a large bonfire in the center was lit to shed light. Twinkling lights of fire hung around the stadium giving it a mysterious enchanted feel to it. Lina perched on the gazebo railing as An'u talked with various people, waiting to see what was in store. This whole thing was something of a shock to her. She hadn't thought that Xelloss would be anything like this.... What would happen to this young man who seemed promising to the world to change him into a Mazoku? It was almost as if someone reversed their personalities.....

Then it hit her with a shock.... Reversed personalities..... it was possible. An'u was caring and considerate to others.... Xelloss was impartial and indifferent. An'u was gentle, sweet, and friendly.... Xelloss was mischievous, devious, and secretive. An'u showed true emotion, feelings, and essence of life.....Xelloss was a Mazoku, who had little use for human weaknesses.

There was still similarities as well. But the differences stood out greater in Lina's mind at this point. The more she thought about it, the more it made sense to her.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sudden shout from the doorway to the coliseum. "It's time! They're at the door!"

There was immediate havoc as people rushed about to take their places, pulled last minute costumes on, and set up the final preparations. An'u pulled a low cloak over his head so that it hid his face, and stood there with his head slightly bowed as if hiding. Everyone seemed to freeze at once, staying motionless and in place, and there was complete silence for some time, then footfalls could be heard. Within a few seconds, more people in costume had entered the coliseum through the doorway, and were looking around baffled with some wonder. An'u took this point to step forward and bowed before the new audience. "Welcome visitors to the first annual celebration fools ball!" He said in a deep almost echoing voice. "We the fairy folk humbly welcome you to this feast, and endow that you shall enjoy yourself with laughter, merriness, and entertainment upon your stay!" He gestured to the whole stadium. "And now, if our entertainers be ready...."

Instantly, acrobats began to fill the center of the arena, and perform some intricate dances, aerobics, and poses. The visitors all filed in and began to mill around the arena. Before ten minutes had passed, Lina was certain that most of the town had to be in attendance this night. It was an enormous amount of people, and the entire place was packed full to the rim. As she mingled, she heard a familiar voice call out. "An'uuuuu!!!"

She peered to the side to see Marik in a formal robe of a courtier dashing towards An'u. He clung to his robes. "Are you going to tell me now???" he whined in a nasal voice. "Pleeeeaaaaseeee?"

An'u chuckled again and squeezed the boy's shoulder. "No! I told you, sore wa himitsu desu! No telling. You find out with everyone else!"

Lina smiled in spite of herself again, and shook her head. What a mischievous person he was even now....

But as she glanced back, she saw that An'u was headed towards the gazebo in the center of the area, and once he had leapt to the top, he began banging on a gong that had been set up inside of the gazebo. Everyone around began to quiet down immediately, directing their attention towards him. Once it was silent, he swept his hood back and gestured with a wide smile. "Welcome! I'm so glad you could all attend this party, it is a memorable day for all of us, but for me in particular!" His mischievous smile lit his face. "Today is a day I shall remember for the rest of my life." He glanced around the arena. "Where's Marik?" There was an instant 'ooooo!' and Marik was dashing up to the gazebo instantly with an eager look on his face. An'u smiled. "Now you get to learn my secret." He said tweaking the boy's nose. An'u straightened up and glanced around. "Today is the day that I proclaim my heart to a very special lady."

Lina's mouth practically fell open in shock. No WAY! She couldn't help thinking.... Xelloss in love?? That's.... that's........ so ..... weird, she thought scratching her head. Somehow, she just couldn't picture him that way, not with feelings and definitely not in any romantic attachments. The rest of the audience was less surprised however, everyone was clapping loudly and luminously. People were whistling, and she became aware that an aisle was being made down the groups of people to where someone stood looking shy and uncertain. Lina peered over the heads of the others to try and see who this girl was, when suddenly there was a loud gong from the village. Everyone seemed to freeze at once, and began murmuring and talking in worried voices. "What's going on?" Lina muttered, walking through the people since she had no substance, to joining An'u and Marik who were looking around with worried looks.

As an immediate response to their questioning faces, there was a ruckus from the doorway and two people burst into the coliseum without costumes. "We're under attack by the Monsters!!!"

Lina glanced to An'u's face to see shock and fear written there, just like the surrounding peoples. But then, something odd happened..... a bright light began to flood the sky, then it shot down around her, and she thrashed, only to find herself seated back in her chair beside Xelloss' bed.

She blinked a few times, unsure of what had happened, then realized she'd been booted out of his mind for some reason, and glanced down at his face, which was convulsed in pain and misery.....


Chapter 3   |   Fanfiction