Don't Call Me That!


The early morning sun slowly rose upon the D'Akkar Mountains, eventually shedding its gentle rays on the quiet city of Ziefeel. Quiet, that is, until the solitude ceased with an angry scream. "Luna! What did you do to my clothes!" shrieked Lina Inverse as she dashed downstairs to confront her older sister.

"Well, you asked me to wash your clothes, so I did!" replied Luna.

"You mean SHRUNK them!" Lina growled, as she shook her fist at Luna. Luna just laughed at her little sister and snapped her delicate fingers. Instantly the garments returned to their normal size.

"You're never going to pass the sorcery final if you can't detect a simple illusion spell, Lina!" Luna chuckled returning to her chores. Not wanting to waste any more of her time, Lina then turned around and returned to her room to get dressed. After all, she had an exam to ace.

As soon as she clothed and fed herself, Lina set out for Master Sied's mansion. While she walked, the young sorceress couldn't help but wonder, "How did I ever get such a foolish old goat for a master?" Drawing closer to her destination, Lina then remembered the answer to her question; Luna had recommended him. Lina sorely regretted her decision to be the old man's pupil, for he was the most incompetent wizard around. Instead of spending her free time doing what she wished, Lina was forced to tutor herself in order to keep pace with her peers. In the course of Lina's independent study, she had surpassed her classmates and found herself a little over year ahead in her lessons. Lina secretly prided herself on this achievement. Lina continued to ponder her thoughts until she finally arrived at her destination, Sied's Mansion.

There she was, standing blankly at the front door. Lina let a sigh of protest as she lifted her gloved arm torap on the door. Before she had the opportunity to knock, the door opened to reveal Sied's rugged visage. "Come on in, Lina. Are you ready for your quiz on wind magic?" asked the eager old man.

"Of course I'm ready Master Sied!" Replied Lina with a false excitement filling her voice.

"Alright Miss Lina, Let me see you cast Raywing and Levitation." Sied calmly commanded. Lina yawned and chanted both spells flawlessly for her master. "That was excellent Miss Inverse! I see you've learned much from my lessons." Sied gloated.

"To be honest, I learned most of my spells myself. You haven't taught me thing as far I'm concerned." Lina said.

Sied then issued a challenge to his arrogant student. "Since you are so confident in your abilities, this should be no problem for you!" shouted the flustered Sied. Waving his arms he summoned a pack of snarling trolls ready to crush the little magic user.

Upon seeing the horde, Lina momentarily went into a panic. "How could a bumbling old magician summon trolls?" Lina thought. Without any provocation the vile creatures converged on their target. Hesitating not a minute longer, Lina then leaped into action, casting a well-placed fireball that took out two trolls simultaneously. Lina wasted no further time in killing two more trolls with a Freeze Arrow and a Digger Bolt. Just as Lina was preparing to finish of the last of the monsters; they mysteriously vanished.

"Curses! I never was able to hold that spell for more than a few minutes!" muttered Sied. Unfortunately, before he could cast another spell Lina pounced on him, unleashing a series of sharp blows on the wizened wizard. "Stop! Stop! PLEASE STOP! You've passed both the wind spell and final exams. Take your certificates and leave me be!" Sied pleaded to the enraged sorceress. Lina seized the parchments and smiled. She turned for the door, and as she opened the door she found herself greeted by a group of really suspicious-looking men.

The men marched right by Lina and gathered around Sied. A tall man with a scar over his left eye picked up the bruised sorcerer and asked, "Where's our money old man? You're already three days late, ya know. If ya don't pay now ya might not see tomorrow, if ya know what I mean."

"Please don't hurt me! I would have the money except, one of my students cancelled her remaining lessons since she already passed the final today." blurted Sied as he glared at Lina.

"In that case I quess we will have to rob HER then, won't we, boys?" remarked the theives' leader.

"Oh, I don't think you want to do that." Lina said in singsong voice.

"And why is that?" scoffed the bandit leader.

"THIS IS WHY, DRAGON SLAVE!" shouted Lina as the entire mansion exploded all around the brigands, blasting them clear out of town. "Am I ever hungry!" exclaimed Lina as she headed for home leaving her former master to lie in the ruins of his home.

When Lina arrived back home, it was nearly sundown and she could smell dinner cooking inside. Lina rushed in doors to find an immense meal lying before her. "What do you think of your graduation banquet?" asked Luna.

"Its great!" said Lina as she took a large bite out of the turkey leg she held.

"Well I'm glad you like it, Bandit Killer!" teased Luna.

"How did you know about that? And furthermore do not call me Bandit Killer." muffled Lina still chewing her food.

"What did you say, Bandit Killer?" mocked Luna, cupping her ear with her hand.

"Don't call me that, I said!" spat Lina. The rest of the evening carried on with Luna still taunting her little sister, and Lina trying to stop her.

Much to Lina's dismay nicknames tend to stick with a person, especially if you're Lina Inverse.


Fanfiction