Masks


Everyone I know wears a mask.

Lina wears a mask of bravery, of cockiness, of fire. It hides the little girl inside her who is afraid of everything. Afraid of the dark creatures that stalk her, afraid of the enemies she's made, even afraid of the friends she's made, and afraid of herself. Afraid of her own powers and the fact that her spells decide the fate of the world.

Amelia wears a mask of a good heart, of justice, of a child. It cloaks the dark thoughts and constant confusion in her soul. Dark thoughts of what she went through as a child, dark thoughts of the burdens she's bore, of love forsaken, of enemies made, of innocence taken by blood on her hands. Blood put there by the fault of so many, so many she only wishes to kill.

Zelgadis wears a mask of coldness, of relentlessness, of dark foreboding ice. It shadows the figure of a man who knows none of trust nor love. Knows none of a caring family, of a world that does not ridicule, of Mazoku sadism countered by a Human struggle for purity. Knows none of what it would be to live a normal life.

Gourry wear a mask of stupidity, of kindness, of chivalry. It hides behind it the face of a hardened warrior who would not acknowledge the blood of his past. Blood of innocent men slaughtered for money, blood of women he did not save because of their being no profit, blood of children he returned to their Masters and Slave Drivers for a handsome fee. Blood of people who haunted his dreams at night.

Everyone I know wears a mask. I suppose when one thinks of a mask, I am the one you first come up with. In truth, I have only just stopped wearing my mask. This devil-may-care attitude? It's not but my true nature. If you can't believe that, then please, think of it as only an attempt to show my fellow travelers of their follies through his mockery. But in truth, the way that I seem not to care is so. The day I abolished my mask, I really did cease to care what others thought of me. I hide nothing. I wear not, a mask.


Author's Notes

Why is it that I like giving Amelia a bloody past? Why is it that I keep making her evil? Why? Why? Why? Would someone please write to me and tell me why?


Fanfiction