Dreamers


Notes

Original song performed by: Cranberries.


Oh, my life

"So it's agreed, our children will marry when they come of age," a proud parent nodded to the other.

"Yes, look how well they get along already." The other smiled as a six year old boy and a five year old girl played.

Is changing every day

The girl shrieked with laughter as she chased the boy, waving a stick like a sword. In their game, she played the fearless knight, and he, the dangerous monster. "I'll catch you!" She giggled as he raced down the nearby hill with a smile.

In every possible way.

"No you won't!" He gasped, ducked under her swing, and tackled her to the ground. Under his body weight, she struggled to jab him in the ribs. He rolled off of her, and she gave him a nasty look.

"That hurt," she pouted, pulling back her pants leg to reveal a large scrape

And oh, my dreams

He gently blew across the wound, his gentle breath taking away the pain.He apologized with his gentle blue eyes, which glittered with tears. He dropped down, and threw his arms around her waist.

This is not to be. Red light enveloped the boy as he hugged her, begging for forgiveness, and spirited him away.

It's never quite as it seems,

Crying, the girl searched for her friend, but never found him. So she grew up, and learned magic to make her strong, so no one would be able to steal her away. Over time, she forgot her friend's terrible disappearance, as traumatic childhood events always fade from the memory.

Never quite as it seems.

Lina Inverse awoke from her scarlet tinted dream, her eyes wide as she huddled under the blanket provided with the inn's bed. A single tear rolled down her cheek as she remembered the blue eyed boy who had been her first friend.

I know I've felt like this before,

She only half-heartedly shoved down her food, under the concerned gaze of Zelgadis, confused from Gourry, and remotely interested of Ameria.

"Are you feeling all right?" Zelgadis asked, his frigid stare battering her defenses.

But now I'm feeling it even more,

"Yeah." She nodded, pushing back her plate, where the food was devoured by the other two. "I... I'm just not hungry." This comment caused Zelgadis to rais his stone equivilant of a brow, his liquid ice eyes not relenting in their gentle worry.

Because it came from you.

"Lina, if something's wrong, please, tell me." He set down his coffee cup, leaning over the table.

"It's nothing, really."

"Lina, if you... if I can do anything at all..."

And now I open up and see

Quietly, she gestured to a corner table, so as not to worry the two eaters. She related her nightmare to him, finding the chimeric youth was an extremely good listener. He even let her use his shoulder to cry on.

The person falling here is me,

He gently rocked her as she dried her eyes on his cloak, whispering words of comfort as he stroked her hair. With a glare, he sent Ameria and Gourry on their way, then paid for the meal and carried her up to his room. In her exhaustion, she didn't notice being laid upon the bed.

A different way to be.

He tucked the covers up around her, and pulled up a chair so he could stand silent vigil at her side while she slept. Whenever she began to show signs of restlessness or unease, his airy tenor voice would soothe her with a song he had heard long ago.

I want more,

By the time Lina awoke the next day, Zelgadis had finally fallen asleep at his post. The emotional drain of the memory-dream had kept her under for so long, he was no longer able to stay awake. Still half asleep, she wondered where she was. The warm blanket, the soft bed...

Impossible to ignore,

She turned her bleary gaze to the right, and caught sight of the Shamanist asleep on the chair. With his eyes closed and lavender hair haning ovin a glittering cascade over the right side of his face, he looked completely innocent, almost child-like.

Impossible to ignore.

When her mind had cleared enough to realize she was in the chimera's bed, she made a mad scramble to get up. In her panicked haste, she got tangled in the bedding, and fell to the floor with a thud.

And they'll come true,

Zelgadis started at the sudden noise, rising to find Lina clutching her sraped knee. Without word, he knelt beside her and blew softly on the wound. The pain seemed to dissipate as the Shamanist's cool breath spread a comforting numbness on her knee.

Impossible not to do,

Lina's ruby-hued eyes glittered like the faceted gems as he looked up and met her jewel-toned gaze, his own eyes so very much like a pair of frosted sapphires. He closed his eyes, stood, and pulled his hood up.

Impossible not to do.

"I'm sorry," he apologized, "that my freakish appearance caused you such a fright when you woke up." Without any further conversation, he walked out the door to pay for the room, leaving her there to stare at his quickly retreating back.

And now I tell you openly,

All at once, she raced after him. She caught up with him as he began to exit, but when she moved to touch his shoulder, he violently jerked away and took off towards the distant woods.

You have my heart so don't hurt me,

With the sunlight gleaming off his ruby red brooch, the last she saw of him was a quick flash of red. Her eyes teared up, but she didn't bother to wipe them away. She walked after him with a determined gait.

You're what I couldn't find.

In a nondescript clearing, Zelgadis purified his mind by hacking away at a dead tree with his sword. A bit barbaric, yes, but it helped him vent. Then he looked at his handiwork.

"ARGH!" He moaned, noticing he had slashed L-I-N-A coarsly into the tree.

A totally amazing mind,

He sank to his knees, the corner of his eye gleaming with a tear gem as he cursed himself. He closed his eyes as he smashed the wooden post.

I can get over it, I will not let this get to me.

So understanding and so kind,

Zelgadis. Lina thought as she finally located him and stared wistfully at his slender form. Why do you do this? Why do you push me away like this? You never let me in...

"Zel?"

You're everything to me.

"Zel?" Lina's voice cut through his heart like a hot knife through butter. Dismally, he turned to face her as his tear gem fell. The sound of the crystalline tear smashing against his hand caused her to reach out to him.

Oh, my life

She edged nearer, watching Zelgadis' gentle blue eyes quiver with a second tear that never fell. In a heart beat, he was on his knees before her, arms wrapped around her waist in a tight but surprisingly painless embrace.

Is changing every day,

"Don't let him take me away again, Lina," he murmured. "Please, don't let him take me away!" His already soft voice was barely more than a hoarse croak. After a moment of the akward position, she settled into a cross legged stance on the grassy forest floor.

Every possible way.

The roles were now reversed. Lina was the protector, Zelgadis, the protectee.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He didn't relinquish his hold about her waist. "Please, ohplease, Lina, don't let him take me..."

And oh, my dreams

When the next morning's fawn came, the gentle light found the Shamanist still in the arms of the Sorceress. He stirred, finally releasing her from his grasp. He blushed brilliantly and slipped away, pausing only to pick up his fallen tear gem and place it in her palm.

It's never quite as it seems,

"Good-bye, Lina." He whispered, kissing her forehead. "Thank you." He turned, and faded into the environment. A mere second after he was gone, Lina woke up with a feeling of dread.

"Zelgadis?" She called out, beginning to panic when she got no answer. "Zelgadis?! Where are you? Zelgadis, don't go away, where are you?!"

'Cause you're a dream to me.

She burst into tears, holding the gemstone close to her heart. Her tears flowed freely fown her face, as they had years before, and her sobs continued until she found herself in his arms.

"Shhh, I'm sorry, I won't go away." Zelgadis whispered. "I'll never leave you again, unless you ask me to."

Dream to me.

"Never leave." She murmured, hugging him. "Never."


Fanfiction