Day of Reckoning


Zelgadis was furious, and took out his frustration on the forest nearby. Already several trees had fallen victim to his wrath; he had carved them into enough kindling to last a year for the entire city of Seyroon.

"Zelgadis?" The one voice he thought he'd never have to hear again, the one voice he thought he was rid of forever was the one that greeted him.

"What do you want?" He growled. His grip on his sword tightened, and he knew that he was shaking.

"Sooner or later, you're going to have to face me." The speaker's voice was every bit as soft as his own, and the chimera felt tears of shame and anger start to rise.

"Why won't you die?!" He cried, slashing in the same movement as turning. But a pale, slender hand caught the blade mid-arc, halting it's path. With a calm twist, the blue eyed youth was disarmed.

"Is that what you really want?" Crimson blood dripped down the fingers that dropped the sword.

"Yes!" Zelgadis powered up to release a Ra Tilt, but unshaking hands caught his trembling wrists.

"You really want me to die?" A slim eyebrow arced, and tears rolled down the boy's face.

"Yes!" He hissed venemously, letting the energy drain away as he struggled to free himself.

"You want me to leave you alone?" The Red Priest whispered, and a feeling of emptiness welled up in his heart.

"Yes!" Zelgadis tried to punch him, tried to hit him, tried to do anything to vent his pain on the one who inflicted it.

"You never want to see me again?" Rezo murmured directly into his grandson's ear, and although Zelgadis nodded vehemently, his light tenor voice breathed 'no'.

"Why did you... Why did...?" The youth felt his voice faulter, as did his rage, and he collapsed against his grandfather. "Why?"

"I'm sorry." Rezo embraced his grandson, both crying for a moment. "I'm sorry. I know it's too much to ask for forgiveness, but I'm sorry." Zelgadis closed his eyes tighter in attempt to end the tears, but they came unbidden anyway.

"Rezo! Rezo? Rezo..." He gazed around, but found nothing. He was alone, utterly alone. "Grandfather!" He picked up the bloodied sword, running his fingers up and down the stained blade. "I forgive you, I forgive you, Grandfather!"


Fanfiction