Freed


I hate her.

It's not as if I want to hate her, but someone has to. Everyone else loves her. Gourry-san, Xelloss-san, even Zelgadiss-san.

Especially Zelgadiss-san.

She does it on purpose, I'm sure of it. Teasing them, dangling them like puppets, keeping anyone else from having a chance. Like she keeps Gourry-san from poor Sheifyl-san.

Like she keeps Zelgadiss-san from me.

Like right now: she and Gourry-san and Zelgadiss-san are close to the fire, speaking about something I can't quite catch. They don't even seem to notice I'm gone. This isn't the first time this has happened. For a long time, I had no idea why Zelgadiss-san and Gourry-san could be so unkind.

I finally figured it out, though. Lina has bewitched them. I knew she was greedy and selfish, but it was still a shock to realise she was also manipulative and evil. An enemy to Justice.

It is my duty to end this wickedness, to free Zelgadiss-san - and Gourry-san and Xelloss-san, too - from Lina's evil magicks. I am nothing if not true to Justice.

There is a lull in the conversation. Now is the time.

"Lina-san?" I call, and she looks over at me. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Sure," she replies with a shrug. So certain no one will ever figure her out. But I have...

"Alone," I add, when she makes no move to join me. "It's girl stuff."

Gourry-san makes a face, and Zelgadiss-san blushes a little. I smile; soon my friends will be freed.

Lina hops up and joins me at the edge of the clearing where we've set up camp. "What is it?" she askes, with obviously fake kindness.

I shake my head; we're still too close to the others. I walk into the forest, and she follows, calling after me in confusion.

I hate her.

Once we're sufficiently deep enough into the woods, I stop. Lina catches up, and glares. I smile at her.

"What's this all about?" she asks again, genuine impatience overshadowing the faux kindness in her tone.

"What do you know about bewitchments, Lina-san?"

I'm rather dissapointed when she looks only confused, not worried. Oh, well, I suppose she's had plenty of practice feigning innocence.

"Why?"

"I just...need to know," I hedge. Just prove your knowledge, curse you!

"Well, there are minor bewitchments, which can be undone by any high-level cure spell. Then there are major bewitchments, which can be undone only by the caster."

"Or the caster's death?"

Now she looks suspicious. That's all right, it won't be long now.

"Yeah, or the caster's death or incapacitation, which disrupts the enchantment. Now tell me: why do you - "

We've been standing close to each other. It is a simple matter to move forward, draw my dagger, and sheath it in her stomach. She screams, but I'm not worried. Zelgadiss-san and Gourry-san will be glad I've freed them.

Her blood is warm and sticky and thicker than I expected. There is so much...!

How dare she give me that look of betrayal! It was she who betrayed me, laughing in secret at all I stand for, and stealing away Zelgadiss-san!

There is a rustling sound, and Zelgadiss-san reaches us. Well, that makes sense, since being a Chimera makes him very swift. He must want to thank me.

Why are his eyes widening like that? Why is he looking at me with the same betrayal I saw in Lina's eyes?

Why is he looking at me with hatred?

"What have you done?" I never realised how frightening Zelgadiss-san can sound. Why is he so upset?

"I freed you!" I try to explain. "Lina had you and Gourry-san and Xelloss-san bewitched!"

His eyes narrow, and he pushes me away from Lina, hard. I don't understand. He should be happy!

He shouldn't be cradling that - that evil enchantress in his arms like that! He's trying to stop the blood flow. Why? Isn't he glad to be free?

Gourry-san has arrived now. He looks totally shocked.

"Keep her - " Zegadiss-san jerks his head in my direction, " - away from Lina. Make sure she can do no more harm."

Now Gourry-san has that look of betrayal! Why can't he and Zelgadiss-san understand?

Lina is still concious. She's casting a healing spell, with Zelgadiss-san feeding her power.

No! The bewitcher still lives! But I must've broken the enchantment, she was certainly incapacitated...so why aren't Zelgadiss-san and Gourry-san thanking me, instead of tending to Lina?

Now all of them are looking at me, as if I were some sort of dangerous animal they are considering killing.

I run. I don't hear the sound of pursuit; Zelgadiss-san and Gourry-san are probably still fussing over Lina.

I hate her.

My legs ache and my throat burns, and I consider resting a moment. I trip over something, and remain where I've fallen. Okay, I will rest a moment. I just need to catch my breath.

"Konban wa, Amelia-san." Xelloss-san! Surely he will be glad I freed him!

"There are some things I will not tolerate," he says brightly. "Those who interfere with my plans, and those who interfere with what is mine, being among the highest on the list."

I breathe a sigh of relief. I was right; he's angry with Lina now, because her bewitchment interfered with his plans.

"You have done both, by nearly killing Lina-chan."

What?! Has the whole world gone mad?

He raises one hand, and I see what he holds: my dagger, the one I'd just tried to kill the bewitcher with. There is still blood on it, not entirely dried. How did he get it?

"And that," he cheerfully states, "I will not allow."

He throws the knife and I think I cry out as it embeds itself in my stomach. I claw at the knife, but I'm suddenly weak, and cannot remove it. There is so much blood...

...i hate her...


Fanfiction