Falling in Love Hurts Gently...


Falling in love hurts gently...

Xelloss Metallium peered over the sharp inclination of a cliff face, his smile turning into a hideous grin as he spotted the masses of Lesser Mazoku below. They were Grausherra Dynast's minions, apparently staging a sneak attack on some nearby village. Pathetic. Grausherra was a fool; didn't he have anything better to do? And his servants were so weak. He closed his eyes and reached out with his powers, alerting the other Mazoku to his presence. Their fear of him was delicious. Xelloss allowed them to scramble about, frightened, for a few moments before he unleashed his power upon them, absorbing and sucking the life out of them.

Someone, somewhere in the streets, is crying alone
For someone, somewhere in the streets, the night is painful
Falling in love hurts gently...

He smiled and savored the aura of death about him, relishing the coppery taste of blood in the air. He thoroughly enjoyed his little surprise attacks on other living creatures. They kept him occupied, kept him from thinking about painful things. From thinking about her.

No matter how hard you try to protect them, things will be lost
The one who stole your freedom is me!
Beauty can become oppression - regret
'We must meet again, if you'd like,' you said - storms of IF.

He'd never expected to actually fall in love with the dragon maiden. She'd just been entertainment for him at first, someone to tease and get a pleasing reaction of anger from. A toy. Xelloss found her angry moments amusing, and had taken great pleasure in bothering her. She hated him, of course. Why shouldn't she? He'd destroyed her entire race, after all. Yet still, she was a brilliant spark of light in his eternal darkness. She made his existence worth continuing.

Someone, somewhere in the streets, is now lonely
Someone, somewhere in the streets, has a troubled heart
Someone, somewhere in the streets, is crying alone
For someone, somewhere in the streets, the night is painful
Falling in love hurts gently...

Yes, the two fought every minute they were together. He could make pretty, serene little Firia lose her temper in an instant, and she despised him even more for that. Xelloss could easily apperceive the emotions in humans, Ryuuzoku, and Mazoku alike. He thoroughly enjoyed feasting off her anger, and even further enjoyed the pain he received following their little arguments. But after awhile, he'd begun to sense another emotion directed at him from her...

If you hold on with both hands to this monopolizing desire
You will only find eternal punishment
Sadness isn't always a sudden crescendo
You don't even notice the warning sign.

He hadn't believed that her fondness for him was real. Could she, too, enjoy their little fights and scuffles? Surely not. They were of enemy races; they were born to hate each other. And her hate for him should have been the strongest of all, since he'd destroyed her people.

I'm becoming someone who leans against the window
I'm becoming someone who looks up at the sky, the sky
I'm becoming someone who, out of all of them,
I'm becoming someone who searches for merely one star
Falling in love hurts gently...

Xelloss's love for Firia had come out of nowhere. He'd never expected to have feelings for a Ryuuzoku. Mazoku weren't supposed to love. Normal Mazoku only felt lust and desire. Then again, he didn't really consider himself a 'normal' Mazoku. He never pursued his feelings for the dragon maiden. It would create problems for both of them. Neither of their societies would accept the pair. Xelloss did not really care whether Mazoku society accepted it or not. No one would dare question his choice, no, they were all too afraid of him. But Firia's people would cast her out if she were with him. And he could not do that to her.

Besides, she'd never admit her feelings for him...

Someone, somewhere in the streets, is now lonely
Someone, somewhere in the streets, has a troubled heart
Someone, somewhere in the streets, is crying alone
For someone, somewhere in the streets, the night is painful.

He felt so alone without her. So lost...and angry. Angry that he couldn't be with her. He took out his anger on others. It kept him relatively sane. Xelloss knew he couldn't keep that sanity forever. He had to see her...he had to...but he couldn't have her.

That's it. This was stupid. He was Zelas Metallium's general and priest, for crying out loud! He was one of the most powerful Mazoku alive! And here he was, saying that he couldn't have something. How absurd.

That settled it. No matter what, she would be his.

Falling in love hurts gently...


The Phantom   |   Fanfiction