Chapter 2: There's Nothing Like A Good Book and A Hot Bath


The wind howls as lightning strike the sky. The trees sway, creating ghostly shadows. Ominous music echoes through the air. Basically, it's the classic "Oh Damn! something bad is going to happen!!" atmosphere. Our heroes are still following Xellos as he leads them deeper and deeper into the woods.

Zelgadis: Do I hear ominous music?

Amelia: Isn't that a sure sign that something bad is going to happen?

Gourry: What does music got to do with something bad happening?

Lina whacks Gourry on the head.

Lina: You idiot! Don't you watch horror movies? They always have creepy music when something disastrous will happen!

Gourry: Oh! So we're gonna have to marry Frankenstein now?

Zelgadis: ???

Amelia: ???

Lina: ???

Xellos: Sometimes I wonder if he wasn't dropped on his head as a child ...

Gourry: Hey Xellos! How'd you know my great-grandmother dropped me on my head?

Zelgadis: That explains everything.

They walk for an excruciating hour filled with Lina's whining and Amelia's pep talks (which were immediately silenced) when they finally reach a gigantic cave.

Xellos: Here we are! We've made it!

Lina collapses onto the ground and stare at the cave opening.

Lina: Oh joy, you've brought us to a stinking cave. Oh, I feel such an urge to leap and prance.

Xellos: "Sarcasm is the protest of the weak" John Knowles.

Lina: THEN I'M WEAK!! YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT!!!

Xellos: Rubbing his ears Of course not. But if you feel too weak to walk, I could always carry you. Wink

Lina: Blush No! No! It's okay!

Lina gets off her ass like her life depended on it and hurries into the cave.

Xellos: Giggle That one always works.

The rest follow Lina into the cave.


Lina makes a ball of light and walk slowly into the cave. The air is dank and moist. Her footsteps ring loudly inside the cave.

Lina: Okay, Xellos. Where is the Clair Bible?

Xellos: You have to go in a little deeper.

Amelia: I hope this isn't some trick.

Gourry: It better not be.

They keep walking until they reach a dead end.

Zelgadis: Xellos, you bastard! There's nothing here! You tricked us again!!

Xellos: No! The old woman said that the book was hidden with a magic spell. Just give me a moment to break it.

Xellos put his hands together while quietly murmuring words. Lina creeps in closer to listen but he is speaking too softly. Suddenly, the air in the cave shifts and a pedestal with a book appears.

Xellos: See? I told you it was here.

Lina: We'll see about that.

Lina carefully opens the book. Amelia, Gourry, and Zelgadis crowd around her. Xellos watch from the edge.

Zelgadis: Is it the Clair Bible? Does it say anything about my cure?

Amelia: Come on! The suspense is killing me!

Lina: It says: "This is the story of a girl who gathered the seven seishi of Suzaku and acquired the power to make every wish come true. The story itself is an incantation. Whoever finishes the book shall receive this power. As soon as the page is turned, the story will become the truth and begin ... " What the heck does that mean?

Gourry: Well, let's turn the page.

He reaches forward and turns the page ...

Lina: Wait, Gourry! We don't know what will happen!

A red light come from the book and surrounds them. They feel themselves being lifted.

Lina/Zelgadis/Amelia/Gourry: AAAAHHHH!!!

They disappear and the red glow fades from the book. Xellos steps forward and carefully lifts the book.

Xellos: Heh. Suckers.

With a snap of his fingers, he is back at the inn. He asks the innkeeper to ready a hot bath in his room. Xellos pours some lavender bubble bath into the water and begins to strip. He sinks his body into the hot water with a groan of pleasure. He reaches for the book and opens it.

Xellos: Ahh ... there's nothing like a good book and a hot bath.


Chapter 3   |   Fanfiction