layer 2.2: Wading the Waters


"What did you say?" Zelgadis asked

"I think I may have found a way to cure you," Gourry repeated, catching his breath.

"I think you'd better sit down," Filia said, pulling out a chair. The swordsman crossed the room and sat down, all eyes on him.

"Now what's this about a cure for Zel?" Lina asked

"There's a waterfall called Kaifuku that's supposed to be able to wash away magic."

"Wash away magic? Never heard of it."

"You wouldn't have. Information about the falls has been lost for about a thousand years."

"So how did you find out about it?" Amelia asked.

"The University uncovered some books from a buried ancient temple. Some of the books have stuff about natural magical events," Gourry explained.

"What makes you think it will cure me?" Zelgadis asked.

"Well I've been thinking and I figured that Rezo changed you because he had Shabrinigdo sealed in his eyes, right? So it was part of Shabrinigdo's power that changed you."

"But we figured out most of that already," Lina said.

"Yes, but the only thing that would be able to fight Shabrinigdo's would be the power of Ceiphied or something higher." This got everyone's attention. "This book says this place was created by a great power that outshines Ceiphied."

"If that's true ..." Amelia started.

"There could be enough power to change me back," The chimera finished.

"Filia , Xellos have either of you every heard of this Kaifuku place?" Lina asked.

"No," Filia shook her head. "But there are still many ancient relics regarding Ceiphied that are still lost, as well as information on many ancient magics.

"Xellos?" The redhead asked.

"I don't really keep up with Ceiphied's worshipers too much, or their affiliates," he shrugged.

"So where is this place?" Amelia asked.

"I don't know," The swordsman said.

"What!" Lina cried.

"It moves," Gourry continued. "The falls only appear once ever fifty years in a different location. But the temple priests kept good records about the appearances so I think I can find it."

"If it shows up every fifty years, how long until it comes again?" Filia asked.

"Roughly two weeks."

"You have two weeks to figure out where this Kaifuku is? Gourry it could be anywhere in the world," the sorceress said.

"I know that, but it sounds like a pretty good chance for Zel and I think its worth a try. And the appearances are in the same stretch of territory. I can work on finding it and getting us there too."

"What do you think Zelgadis?" The princess asked. The chimera's expression turned solemn, thinking over everything his friend had said.

"It sounds like a good lead, probably the best yet," he thought silently. "If Gourry thinks he can do it, let's try," the chimera said to everyone.

"Now we really have something to celebrate!" The Crown Prince said loudly.

Gourry looked around and saw all the food on the table and smiled.

"Hey this looks great!"

"We can talk more later, right now I'm starving," Lina cried.

Everyone settled int their seats and started eating and chatting excitedly about the newest turn of events.

Amelia looked at Zelgadis who still wore a quiet expression. She reached out an took his hand in hers and gave it a gentle squeeze of support. Zelgadis looked up at her, smiled and brought her hand to his lips and kissed it, returning her gentle squeeze.

From across the table Xellos watched the exchange and continued to sip his wine slowly as the pair blushed at so many witnesses to there quiet exchange and returned to their meals.

Filia noticed Xellos's scrutiny of the couple and wondered about it until she saw Val try to swipe a piece of asparagus from the crown prince's plate.


"So how do you feel about what Gourry said?"

"I don't know," Zelgadis whispered to Amelia.

The two sat in the palace gardens under the moonlight and glow of fireflies conversing quietly. Zelgadis was still in shock by Gourry's announcement and Amelia concerned for him.

The chimera took a deep breath and sighed as he stared out at the night dimmed blossoms of the garden. Then arms wrapped his shoulders in comfort and he leaned into the embrace. Amelia kissed his temple as his eyelids fluttered and he exhaled the breath he hadn't realized he was holding.

"What if this is like all the others and fizzles out?" He whispered.

"Don't think like that," she whispered, " Gourry said he had some more details to figure out first."

"But if this doesn't work, then . . ."

"Then what? You'll still be blue? Yes. A chimera? Yes, but you'll still be the same person inside no matter what your outside looks like."

"I know," he nodded, "You crammed that down my throat in Briseral," he chuckled.

"I only told you the truth. Maybe I as little brutal about it but it was the only way to get through to you at the time."

"And now?"

"You listen when I speak softly," she murmured, snuggling into his neck.

"I just don't want to get my hopes up again only to be shut down."

"I know, but Gourry wouldn't steer you wrong. He'll do his best to find out everything he can, until then don't let your emotions jump to high or sink too low," Amelia murmured as they held each other and enjoyed the garden.

Lina stood on one of the mezzanines to the garden and caught sight of the couple's quiet reverie.

"I wonder how Zel's holding up about the news?" she thought.

"Hey Lina!" The redhead turned and saw Gourry a few feet away.

"What's up?"

"Where's Zel and Amelia?"

"In the garden," Lina pointed. "I think Amelia's helping him through a state of shock."

"I just hope this works," Gourry said, moving closer.

"Me too," Lina said. "But the fact that you're trying I know he appreciates," she smiled at him.

"I really want this to work. Zel's been searching for so long for a cure.

"This time's different though. He's got Amelia with him, if it doesn't work out."

"But I really want it to. I'd feel bad for telling him about the waterfall and then it not work."

"Don't be like that!" Lina said, shaking his arm lightly. "You haven't really gotten started on this thing yet. We get more info, find this place and go. Whatever happens, just happens, got it?"

"Got it." He smiled, placing his hand overtop hers, still resting on his arm.

She felt that age old blush creep up her cheeks and heartbeat quicken in surprise. Lina looked at Gourry, his blonde hair, now paler due to the recent raising summer sun framing his face.

Gourry looked down at the sorceress as shadow and light danced across her face illuminating the gold flicks of her hair. Stuck still they both stared at each other, captured by the picture each seemed to portray for the other.

Lina blinked back to reality and licked her suddenly dry lips, removing her hand from his arm.

"I think we should head in for the night," she suggested, surprised she could find her voice.

"Yeah," Gourry nodded and the two walked back to the wing that held their apartments silently.

"What happened out there?" Lina asked herself after reaching their prospective rooms and saying goodnight.

Once inside his room Gourry picked up the book on Kaifuku and made himself comfortable to read some more. Or at least tried to, his thoughts kept going back to the scene he'd shared with Lina on the garden's overlook, more importantly how beautiful the sorceress looked at that moment.

"I wonder if I should say anything?" He asked himself. His feelings for the sorceress giving him much to think about lately. He finally decided the matter could be sorted out later. And focused on the book in his lap and helping his friend.

"Nothing happened, nothing happened ... but something happened and I don't know what," Lina thought, flopping down on her couch. When she'd been with Gourry it seemed like she was pulled in somehow by the blend of the look on his face, the warmth of his arm under her hand and the way his hair moved in the night air.

"I sound like something from one of those lame romances," she said to no one in particular. "We just looked at each other a little too long, that's it," she decided then started getting ready for bed.

Xellos sat in a high sturdy tree branch in the palace gardens and watched the princess comfort her chimera in the fragrant night air of the flowerbeds. He gave them a final glance then teleported away into Val's bedroom.

"Now why did I bring myself here?" He grumbled. He looked over at the crib and found the little ancient sleeping soundly with another of his stuffed toys.

Xellos looked closer and the child opened his eyes, half awake and regarded the trickster with a sleepy yawn. He awakened a bit more and upon recognition of his guest grew excited.

"Shh!" Xellos whispered, and the baby calmed instantly. "Now lay back down. I don't feel like your mothers brand of wit tonight."

Val laid down and gave another yawn before closing his eyes and tried to go back to sleep, shivering slightly.

Xellos noticed his shivering and pulled the ancients' little blanket over him. Val snuggled into its warmth and was soon fast asleep.

"You're trying to domesticate me aren't you?" The trickster asked the sleeping child, then gave a light chuckle. "How amusing!" he said then vanished.


The next day was a busy one for Gourry. He had another three exams and then plans to go through the book on Kaifuku and the other books found in the temple to help Zelgadis.

The exams came and went quickly. He answered the questions with ease as always and felt he'd done well just like on all his others. When his last one was finished he went to see Professor Ozaki and talked about his discovery in the book and about Zelgadis.

"And I think this is a really good chance for Zel to find his cure. But I need to look through the other things that were found in the temple," Gourry said, finishing his explanation.

He sat in the professor's office, surrounded by books and papers. Professor Ozaki sat at his desk and thought ver everything the swordsman had told him.

"It sounds like everything you need is right in the book you took; Maps, logs of the appearances and the details of the waterfalls power," Ozaki reasoned.

"But they're a thousand years old and the falls appear every fifty years," Gourry said.

"So there are twenty appearances unaccounted for?"

"Yes. It looks like there's a slight pattern and that might make it possible to figure out where the next on will be. I already figured it should be coming soon from the logs written in the book."

"Did the temple priests predict Kaifuku's occurrences? If so we could try using the same system they did."

"I looked and it doesn't say anything about them using one just that 'Kaifuku's spirit would call one who listed carefully', he read from the book. "Maybe the priests could have been gifted in sensing the waterfalls coming?"

"It stands to reason. They say that natural magic has an essence, a spirit unique unto itself. These priests could have been sorcerers , powerful enough to find the essence, understand it even," Ozaki said.

"There was something that looked like a spell in the book that said something about a gateway and fluid harmony, but it wasn't clear on what that meant."

"A way to call Kaifuku's essence?" The professor asked.

"I don't know," Gourry said, shaking his head. He remembered the passage distinctly. It made his skin crawl and tingle, not with uneasiness or fear but something altogether undescribable. "I haven't finished the book yet, but I wanted to look at some maps that we have of the area. I though it might help."

"I'll take you to the library vault. We found some maps in the temple as well, you might want to compare them and see what you come up with."

"Thanks Professor Oz."

The professor showed the swordsman to the vaults and left him to work. Gourry looked books and maps taken from the temple and marveled at the amount.

"I guess I'd better get started," he whispered and began searching through the books for what he needed.


Lina sat outside in a quiet section of the palace grounds with Amelia, twirling blades of grass between her fingers.

"Have you heard anything from Gourry?" The princess asked. Lina shook her head.

"He had more exams and I think he went to do some more work with that book afterword."

"I hope he finds something. I don't want to see Zelgadis become depressed. Just hearing about the waterfall has him a little anxious."

"I guess for you to know that he hasn't been wearing his standard poker face, huh?"

"He knows he doesn't have to with me," Amelia smiled.

A rustle came from a nearby patch of bushes and out popped Val's little head filled with flowers and laughing, flying over to Lina with little black wings.

"What the ... Val?" Lina asked as the child fluttered about leaving a trail of flowers and petals.

Filia appeared from the bushes moments later out of breath but smiling happily.

"There you are!" The Gold cried, grabbing the ancient before he could fly away again. "You flew so fast I thought I had lost you."

"Flew?" Amelia asked.

"Its his first flight," Filia explained excitedly. "He's been experimenting with his wings off and on but today he actually flew by himself."

"That's wonderful," The princess smiled and Val clapped his hands, happy at his own achievement.

"Well at least something good has happened so far," Lina said, brushing flower petals of her clothes.

"Are you guys talking about the news from Gourry?" Filia asked, while picking flowers from Val's hair.

"We were wondering if Gourry had come up with anything new so far," Amelia explained.

"I'm sure he'll keep you updated on things. I don't think he would have said anything if he didn't think there was a chance. I just wish I could be more helpful."

"Just because you were a priestess doesn't mean you're supposed to know everything about Ceiphied's temples," Lina said.

"Your sister's the Knight of Ceiphied, maybe she would know. We could ask her and ..."

"Don't you Dare!" Lina shouted. The princess and the Gold stared at her in shock "We don't need to find her and ask her a damned thing!"

Val looked at the three girls and began to cry suddenly.

"Oh Val don't cry," Filia cooed, rocking him gently. "I'm sorry Lina I forgot how things are with you and Luna."

"I didn't mean to make the little guy cry," the sorceress said, watching the little dragon hug Filia tightly, tears streaming down his little cheeks.

"Hey Val," Lina said, then blew petals from a fallen flower in the boy's face. Val blinked back his tears as the soft petals hit his face and smiled. He grabbed outward trying to catch the petals. "I guess this means I'm forgiven," she said, blowing more petals.

"I know your sister is a sensitive subject Lina, I'm really sorry," Filia whispered again.

"I don't' like to talk or think about her for that matter. We don't get along, but if it comes down to asking her, do it. I just won't be around for it, alright?"

Amelia and Filia looked at each other briefly then to Lina and nodded.


Zelgadis looked out the window of his new study and saw Amelia with Filia and Lina on the palace grounds talking and playing with the baby ancient, who looked to be flapping his wings.

"I don't think I've seen him do that," he thought.

He watched as the little dragon wiggled away from Filia and go to Amelia. The princess laughed, laying back on the grass and played with the baby. They tickled and giggled at each other loudly as Lina and Filia looked on, talking an laughing as well. He smiled at the scene, knowing how much Amelia enjoyed playing with the energetic little dragon.

He left the window to take in his new place of work. The shelves of books were a vast array of magical topics and other interests. The furniture and desk were deep shades of brown and the carpets woven with beautiful designs. The room was simple, somber be very elegant. It displayed richness but not in a over-powering way which made the chimera feel at ease . The overall results pleased him greatly.

He sat down in a leather armchair in a corner, putting his feet up on the matching ottoman and sighed happily, surveying the room again.

"This is really nice," he said aloud. He had time to enjoy the room courtesy of the crown prince's pressing royal duties, leaving him alone.

He noticed that the afternoon was growing late and the sun would be going down in a few hours. It made him wonder if Gourry had made any progress in his investigation.

A cure, a solid chance for one. It seemed like a distant dream for him now. His life was so full and rich and he could truly appreciate that richness now, unlike before. The news had made him excited, anxious and afraid of disappointment. All the things that coursed through him every time a new prospect arose. But unlike the other times he had Amelia beside him to sooth his up heaved emotions. He considered himself an independent person but to have someone to lean one was a far nicer feeling then he'd ever imagined.

He looked over at the study door as it creaked open and Gourry looking through.

"Hey this looks nice, can I come in?"

"Sure sit down," Zelgadis said, sitting up.

"I came by because I wanted to talk to you about Kaifuku," Gourry started, sitting down.

"Did you find anything new?"

"A few things but I'm kind of going to need your help to find the places the falls showed up at before."

"The locations the came while the temple was lost, why?"

"There's a spell in the book. I didn't know what it was at first then I figured out it's a way to search for the magical essence of the falls after I read some more. The essence leaves something behind and ..."

"You want to use the spell to find the residue of the lost appearances to calculate the new one coming in two weeks?"

"Yeah, I thought we'd be able to find the general area of the falls. The waterfall stays for 3 days then disappears for another 50 years. If we get to the general area we may be able to us the spell again to find the exact spot of Kaifuku," Gourry finished.

"That sounds good," the chimera said, visibly impressed. "But there are priests at the Ceiphied temples in the city that might be better at deciphering the spell."

"But they aren't shamanists like you and since it is a waterfall and shamanism deals with nature you're the best choice," the swordsman shrugged.

"Where's the spell?"

"Here," he said, pulling out the large book from a pack and opening it.

Zelgadis studied the words on the page carefully trailing a finger over each line. He felt a strange energy radiate from the page and pulled his hand back in surprise.

"You felt it too, didn't you?" Gourry whispered. Zelgadis nodded.

"It doesn't feel threatening; just odd, like its moving changing somehow and a strange kind of warmth," the chimera said , pausing unable to describe the strange sensation further. "Its obviously a powerful spell."

"If you can cast the spell and keep an image of the map in your head," Gourry said, pulling out a scroll with various markings on it. "It will help me mark the missing locations easier."

"Where exactly was this temple?"

"In the lands beyond the dragon sanctuary. The uncovering of the temple has been going on for quite sometime now."

The chimera nodded, the answer explaining the unfamiliarity of the terrain. He took a deep breath and looked at the map, memorizing as much detail as possible, then turned his focus on the spell.

I wish to hear
for I am listening
I wish to see
for I am looking
Gateway of the spirit
show me fluid harmony
essence of Kaifuku
unveil for me

A silver and blue glow enveloped the pair an Zelgadis felt apart of himself lift away and move upward. He looked out and felt as if he was connecting to some large expanse. He saw tiny sparks of pale amber lighting up in different places.

"Think of the map," he told himself and pulled the maps image from his mind and laid it out in front of him and watched as the amber lights fell into their locations.

Gourry watched as Zelgadis cast the spell, focusing his power as the spell seemed to surround them in light. Pale amber spots of light began to appear on the map in front of him by the spell and the swordsman smiled.

"Its working," he thought, though not quite like he expected. He moved to get a pen and began marking the amber spots on the map.

Slowly more lights appeared and Gourry marked them diligently. He noticed the same vague pattern he'd seen before in the log entries. The missing locations seemed to give it some shape but still not enough for him to make out.

Suddenly the silver-blue light flashed brightly, blinding the swordsman momentarily the disappeared. Gourry blinked to regain his vision and Zelgadis opened his eyes, his chest heaving slightly.

"Did it work?" the chimera asked. Gourry nodded as a bang came from the door.

"Zelgadis are you all right?" Amelia called from the other side.

"They must have seen the flash," Gourry said.

"Flash?" Zelgadis asked weakly.

"The spell let out this bright flash before it ended," the swordsman explained as Zelgadis tried to get up. He stood but couldn't maintain his balance and stumbled back into the armchair.

"That spell was more draining then I thought," he said to himself while Gourry crossed the room, opening the door.

On the other side he saw Amelia with Lina, Filia and Val. Amelia rushed past him and went to Zelgadis, who sagged back in the chairs cushion in exhaustion.

"What happened?" The princess asked sitting by him on the ottoman

"I cast a spell from Gourry's book to help find the waterfall," Zelgadis said.

"Were you able to come up with anything?" Filia asked as Val flew over to the chimera, eyeing him curiously.

"We used the spell to find the missing locations of Kaifuku's past appearances," Gourry said.

"So now you just have to figure out were the falls are and getting us there in time. Sounds good," Lina said.

"That spell was really strong," Zelgadis sighed, but couldn't help chuckling as Val settled into his lap, smiling. "Energetic isn't he," he said, ruffling the ancients hair. "I wish I was at the moment."

"I think you could use some rest," Amelia said and found the chimera's eyes already closing and Val's as well.

"It looks like they both need a nap," Filia said

"Your right," Amelia smiled.

"How long do you think it'll take you to figure out where the waterfall is?" Lina asked in a lowered voice.

"I'm not sure, but one of my professors has been helping with information about the temple and things."

"You think you can find it in time?"

"I hope so," Gourry said, watching as Amelia pulled out an afghan and covered the chimera and the baby dragon, both of whom now fast asleep.


The next several days came quickly. Zelgadis continued on his daily routine with the crown prince, trying to focus on his work but painfully curious about Gourry's progress.

The swordsman finished the last of his exams in quick measure and was pleased with his scores once they were posted, giving him high academic rankings amongst the students. He had spent all his time since the exams working on finding the waterfalls. The missing locations had been a big help as well as uncovering more information in the book. He felt he was close to an answer and only hoped he would find it in time for the appearance.

In the meantime Lina prepared for the final audition of the play and Amelia continued her work with the Crown Prince's duties of state. Filia was busy with shop business and Xellos hadn't been seen, which was a relief to the Gold. Even though everyone went about their regular routines thoughts of Kaifuku lingered in the backs of their minds.


Filia set the table for her and Val's dinner humming pleasantly. Business had been better then normal and Val flying about the house was a wonderful sight. And more importantly, no Xellos. He hadn't made an appearance since Zelgadis's dinner.

She still couldn't shake the image of him staring at Amelia and Zelgadis at dinner and wondered at the reasons behind it.

"The idea of love probably just sickened him," she thought, setting down her plate and tying off Val's bib, who started giggling wildly. "Oh no."

"Ahhh, in time for dinner, am I?"

Filia didn't have to look up to know who was sitting across from her.

"So you've come to give us indigestion?" Filia said cutting up some of Val's food. Xellos waged his finger and smiled brightly.

"But Filia-chan, you owe me a dinner. Remember our date?"

"I told you, I'm not taking you out on a date, or inviting you here for one."

"You're just shy like little kids can be. You know, you pretend to hate the one you love?" He smiled, hoping to give her a good turn for her earlier antics.

"So admit it then, you do have a crush on me?" Filia smiled coyly. "After all you always have something snide to say, but I suppose that's a mazuko's way of showing affection."

"You mean like how you express yours with your mace," he said, fixing a plate and a cup of tea. "Anyway, has there been any word on that magical waterfall Gourry mentioned?"

"And why would I tell you?"

"So there hasn't been," he continued, looking at Val who ate his soft vegetables. Filia watched as Val and Xellos smiled at each other, as if sharing some special secret.

"As soon as Gourry feels he has enough information he'll tell Zelgadis, not you. For once can you not interfere?"

"Who says I'm interfering?"

"Who says your not?" she countered.

He looked at her, eyes open as she stared back at him daring him to defy her logic. "Just because you aren't interfering yourself doesn't mean that someone might be for you. So I guess the question should be are you interfering by having someone else do it?"

She had learned quite a bit about him to notice the play on words he was often fond of. He didn't know whether to be annoyed or somehow impressed.

"And what makes you think I'd tell you?"

"So you aren't then," she smirked and began feeding Val more vegetables. "How come you can't give a straight answer when someone asks you a question?"

"Sore wa himitsu desu, " Xellos answered and Filia shook her head, turning back to Val who had been watching their whole conversation curiously.

"Come on and eat some more vegetables," Filia encouraged as the ancient ate more of what she fed him. "And if your going to be an uninvited dinner guest you could at least be a polite one," the Gold said to the trickster.

"And here I thought I was being polite," Xellos cutting his meat. "You were the one who started throwing accusations around the dinner table."

Just then a pile of orange mush that had once been Val's carrots flew and hit Xellos in the cheek, splattering into his hair. Val laughed, spoon in hand as Xellos tried to remove the mushed carrots calmly as Filia smiled at him.

"What was that about throwing?" She said.


He lay sprawled on the couch, book covering his face sleeping. It had been a long afternoon of reading and comparing results to his dilemma, an answer still out of reach. The swordsman had made a plan to talk to Amelia in the morning, hoping for a new prospective to the question at hand would help when fatigue had finally overtaken him.

A knock came to his door, which he didn't hear than a moment after Lina looked in and saw candlelight flickering and Gourry slumbering. She walked over to him and gently pulled the book of his face and set it on the nearby coffee table. A soft breeze blew from the open balcony, rustling the pages and making a few turn.

"I wonder if I should wake him," Lina thought. She knew since he'd finished his exams he'd spent every spare moment possible to solve the mystery that was Kaifuku. But then she figured missing a meal wouldn't help matters any and gently shook him.

"Wake up Gourry," she whispered. He murmured and turned on his side, facing the table. His eyes opened slowly and in his half-awakened state stared at the book across from him.

Somewhere in the depths of his sleep hazed mind his thoughts were oddly keener as yet another piece of his current puzzle seemed to show itself. However, somehow the puzzles picture began to form, slowly showing him what he had been searching for with ernest.

He sat up quickly, startling Lina and grabbed the book and some notes he had nearby.

"Gourry what is it?" Lina asked, watching as he picked up a pen and scribbled frantically. He looked between his pages and the book as if possessed. After some minutes he laughed and turned to Lina.

"Did you turn the pages in the book?"

"No, I just took it off your head and a breeze blew a couple of them, why?"

"If you hadn't come to get me I may have never found it," he murmured.

"Found it?" Lina asked confused, then realized " You mean ..."

"Kaifuku," he nodded, "I found it. Thanks to you Lina. Thank you!" He cheered wrapping her in a tight hug. Standing he swung her around happily, then suddenly gave her a quick kiss on the lips and set her down.

"I have to go tell Zel,"the swordsman said smiling rushing out of the room, leaving Lina a bright shade of red. She brought her trembling fingers up the her lips, still tingling from the sudden contact of his lips. She looked around wide-eyed and sank onto the couch dazed.

"He kissed me."


Surface 3, layer 3.1   |   Fanfiction