Part 5: Humph! I Don't Wanna Hear About Family


The sun rose in a blazing inferno the next morning. The Slayers slowly trudged down the ivory spiral staircase in the middle of Inverse Manor towards the kitchen for breakfast. There they found Mrs. Inverse hovering over the stove, lots of pots of various foodstuffs cooking over the fire.

Luna had already sat down to breakfast, eating a bowl of cereal and some toast. A man sat behind a newspaper next to her. He had purple hair cut in a ragged fashion and ruby eyes. Obviously Lina-san's father, Amelia thought. In fact, the man looked quite a bit like the youngest Inverse daughter. The two were about the same height, build, and their faces had the same features, except that Mr. Inverse sported sideburns. He looked up as he saw the houseguests and his other daughter enter.

"Ohayo, minna-san. You had a nice night, I'm sure?" he inquired.

"Oh, most definitely, Inverse-san!" Sylphiel cheerfully replied. Xelloss just idly nodded his agreement, smiling as always. Lina, Gourry, and Amelia were too busy to respond; the usual breakfast battle had already begun.

"Gimme, that, Gourry!"

"No way, Lina, I saw it first!"

"Oi, be fair! Leave some for the others!" Amelia cried as the swordsman and sorceress played tug-o-war over a string of sausage links.

"Oh my, I hope I have enough food," Mrs. Inverse worried. "I'd better go shopping first thing after all."

"That sounds like a good idea," Zel told her. "I don't know how most people eat in your household, but right now, you've got at least three bottomless pits to serve food to." He gestured towards the princess and the tug-o-war competitors.

Food war finally settled, Mr. Inverse addressed his daughters. "Luna-chan, let's go out for our morning spar now," Luna nodded. As he rose from the table along with Luna, he said, "Lina-chan, I expect to see you come out after you're done. Bring any of your friends who wish to come too," he smiled.

"Hai," Lina uttered between bites. Luna and her father then walked out the door.


Zelgadis looked out the window, watching as Lina's mother went to town. Breakfast had finished peacefully enough, and now everyone but him, Xelloss, and Sylphiel headed out to spar with the other Inverses. He turned back towards the shelves of books that made up the manor's extensive library. The Inverse family was known for its private collection of books, covering almost any subject imaginable. Zel had headed here shortly after breakfast in hopes of finding some information on cure. So far, he had found very little. There were a couple of books on chimeras, but nothing like him. He also discovered a book about the Five Wise Men of the Age, of which his grandfather/great-grandfather Rezo had been. Although he learned a bit more about his family background, the text really didn't say anything about the later years of the Red Priest's life, his search for the Philosopher's Stone, the resurrection of Shabranigdo, or what he did to his only remaining relative.

Sitting back down in the large armchair positioned near a fireplace, Zel took another book from the pile he had accumulated and started going through it, sipping at a cup of coffee as he read. The chimera stayed that way for the remainder of the day, leaving the library only at mealtimes and when he retired to his bedroom for the night.


The next couple of days passed by quietly at Inverse Manor, Lina catching up with her family, telling them about her adventures, Gourry using the free time to practice his sword skills with Mr. Inverse, Zel in the library, Ame and Sylphiel spending some time with Mrs. Inverse, and Xelloss causing his normal mayhem and hanging out with Luna. The two hadn't seen each other in a while since Luna didn't come by the island often.

At the end of the third day, Lina announced that they would move on in the morning. Luna had finally relented and given them some information about the temple, so spirits had risen and excitement filled the air. This made for restlessness among all the travellers. Saying their farewells, the group headed out after another Slayers-sized breakfast.


Part 6   |   Fanfiction