Chapter One: Ahoy! A Sailor's Life Is Not For Me!


The sky seemed alive as millions of beautiful stars, each as sparkling as a jewel, flashed within the emptiness of night. Star light trickled off the crystal clear water of the sea. Not even the waves made to play within the night, gazing fondly at the stars.

Without warning, a violent wind blew up from the depths of the sky. Riding upon the wind, carefree, was a mysterious mist. It glittered brilliantly, as if it were made of star dust. It stretched over the ocean, a thick blanket of nature. The mist seemed to slow to a stop, sparkling. The ocean rippled once, then went still, reflecting not only the stars but the tiny sparkles of the mist. It was truly a fantastic sight.

However, what was buried within the mist was far more fantastic.

Nestled among the mist, tall and determined, floated an island. It did not touch the water, hovering one foot above the soft liquid. Green pastures and thick forests decorated the island, a single mountain range reaching for the sky. The mountain formed a circle, in which within that circle was a crystal clear lake and a mysterious city. Gates seemed to ward away prying eyes, though a steeple peered over the walls. The most treasuring wonder seemed to be separate from the island itself. Hovering over the lake, among the mountain range, was a separate island all to itself. Upon the tiny island was a crystal white temple and a beautiful, well trimmed garden. Yet, nothing living was in that garden. Water flowed from the deepest part of the garden, without end or beginning. The entire island, floating temple and all, seemed an enigma.

However, the surprises did not stop. The mist seemed to twist about the island, as if it were alive. It rose skyward, taking the form of a sleek dragon. It seemed to roar, silently, then shatter like glass. The island was now within the water itself, bare to the world.

A mysterious treasure, a landmark of wonder.

But who would dare go there, with the threat of the unknown so great?


The sea had never been so unforgiving as it was at the moment. It rumbled and surged, waves splashing and tearing against anything it could find. The clouds were a sickening black, the sun hidden in fear.

Unfortunately, the fury of the sea was bearing upon a single boat, stranded in the middle of the ocean.

However, the sea had nothing on the temper of who was aboard that ship.

"WHERE the heck did this STORM come from?" a fiery haired sorceress screamed, fangs mystically appearing as her temper worsened. She grasped the mast, the sail flapping about her in tattered rags. Behind her, a blonde swordsman with an empty look to go along with his equally empty head held on to a wooden seat for dear life. The boat, made of oak and far too small to have any right to even consider being out upon the ocean, rocked back and forth among the violent waves. It smashed against each wave, the impact threatening to demolish the vessel. Sea water filled the bottom of the boat, creating puddles that would cause problems the moment they got too deep.

"Lina - ! Why'd we come out here again?" the blonde swordsman shouted as he dug his nails in to the wooden seat to avoid being tossed overboard by the next monstrous wave. Lina, the red headed sorceress, glanced back at him with a look of pure frustration.

"I already told you, Gourry!" she snarled. "We're going to get to that blasted Island Of Dragon Mist! It only appears once every century and I am GOING to visit it! It's probably filled with all sorts of treasure and magical items!" she added, her eyes suddenly taking a luster. Or, more precisely, a lust for treasure. Gourry blinked vigorously, his delightful blue eyes shimmering in confusion.

"But what if it disappears while we're on it?" he asked, his head tilting cutely.

"We'll worry about that when we're on the island," Lina replied, hotly. She brushed back the locks of dripping hair and squinted, trying to see any sign of land over the horizon of crashing sea. Only water could be seen for miles, every inch of it as cruel and harsh as the last. Lina scowled, then spat out salty water. "I could try Raywing," she thought. "However, I don't think the wind will be any easier."

A wave crashed in to her face, breaking her thoughts. Her eyes widened as a small crab looked up at her, it's orange claw firmly attached to her nose. The crab blinked it's ebony eyes, water dripping off it's orange shell. Lina screamed and flung the crab through the air. However, as the crab went flying through the air, it directed Lina's attention towards a far more unpleasant surprise. Lina's eyes widened to saucers as the sea seemed to converge together to the east of the boat. The sea ripped, then suddenly began to rise. It thundered as the hundreds of violent waves molded to become a gigantic tidal wave.

"Gourry - ! Tidal wave - !" she cried over the howling wind. Gourry's eyes widened drastically as the wave loomed over them.

"It's heading right for us!" Gourry gasped, for once perceptive of his surroundings. Lina's eyes widened as the sea itself seemed to engulf the boat, filling her vision with water.

Then, darkness slipped in.


Pain filled every pore, the taste and feel of salt upon raw skin.

Island of Mist... Unearthly defection....,

Lina gasped sharply, spitting out salty water.

A Blanket of whispers... hidden from detection...

Lina licked her dry lips and glanced about.

Death is the end... yet here, the beginning...,

The mighty sorceress blinked, surprised, as she realized where she was. She floated atop a long piece of wood, which was undoubtably what was left of the mast. To her right, Gourry hung on for dear life. He rubbed salt out of his eyes and glanced about.

Soul bound, soul ground... doom is fitting...,

Lina inhaled sharply as it dawned upon her that they were not only alive but that the sea was deathly calm. She glanced around, sharply. The sea was like a mirror. Not a single ripple destroyed it's glittering luster, even from her own body partially in the water. The sea seemed to glow a soft silver.

Island of spirit... shield of soul... walk these lands... never let go!

Lina glanced up sharply, then hissed. Hovering over the water, shimmering with an inhuman aura, was a young girl. She was small, looking to be about fifteen years of age. Her face was extremely youthful, her eyes large and a shimmering blue so beautiful it made gems look pale. Her long white hair, shining silver now and then when it danced in the wind, reached down to her waist, a ribbon of silver tied in to it. She bore a headband of silver, which had two slender prongs attached to it on either side of her head. About a slender wrist was a gold bracelet with tiny charms of different colored jewels. A long white robe encased her small, spry form and large white wings burst out of either side. The wings did not move, yet she continued to hover. Feathers drifted from her, disappearing like bubbles when it touched the sea. Not once did a single feather cause a ripple upon the mirror that was the sea. The girl seemed not to notice them, staring off in to the great sky.

Forbidden lake... playground of death... sleek wonder waits... runs from thy breath...,

The girl was speaking the poem that echoed of the sea, however her lips did not move.

"Who are you!?" Lina inquired, gathering her wits as she shouted.

Horsemen of demons... yet Mazoku not... forlorn in death... deny life's knot,

The girl seemed unable to hear Lina's voice. Gourry stared in surprise at the little girl.

"Wow.. do you think she got shipwrecked too?" he asked. Lina's cheek twitched and, if she could have reached him, she would have hit him.

Island of Beauty... Dragon's Sacrifice... Protect our island... the mist will suffice,

The girl turned, making as if to fly away.

"WAIT!" Lina cried. The girl stopped and glanced over her shoulder, for the first time acknowledging their presence. The girl smiled brightly, her face charming and naive.

"Good night!" she whispered, her voice sounding of the sweetest music. Lina blinked and struggled to climb up farther on to the mast. Gourry tilted his head.

"It's bedtime?" he asked, absently. Lina kicked him, then glared at the little girl.

"Wait a minute!" Lina demanded, hotly. "Where are we!?"

The girl merely giggled, the water chiming with her child-like laughter.

"Silly... you're okay, now!" she said, waving to them. Her charm bracelet clinked as her slender arm moved.

"How is THIS okay!?" Lina demanded. The girl winked and, with a swish from her massive wings, disappeared with a sprinkle of star dust. Lina blinked, confused. As suddenly as the girl disappeared, everything about her and Gourry also disappeared. They seemed to be in a dark void. Lina cried out, almost panicked, as she felt herself fall. Yet, no bottom was in sight. Almost quickly as she fell, she ceased. The two of them began to float downwards, as soft as feathers. Lina glanced about wildly, then at Gourry. A snot bubble appeared out of his nose as he snored. Lina growled and made to smack Gourry awake only to find herself feeling abnormally tired. She rubbed her eyes, growling.

"I can't... fall asleep..," she hissed. "Something's... wrong...," she groaned, her eyes suddenly weighing more than twice the weight of her average dinner. She fought the desire but soon, she too gave in to slumber.


Chapter 2   |   Fanfiction