A Family's Interlude


Notes

Part of the continuity, but before Only Lonely Soldier.


Her eyes gleamed gold in the moonlight ... a strange thing, when the rest of her blended in smoothly with the ice and stone that surrounded her. Makius chuckled softly, bending down his craggy head to study his student. She stared up at him without fear, a faint smirk marking that she was thinking of some prank to pull.

So ... ready for your practice, hmm, young one?

"Not so much younger than you, in the reckoning of my race." She snapped back, grinning.

Not in the reckonings of humans, no ... but you're no longer human, now are you?

" ... you didn't need to bring that up."

It is a truth, child, that you must accept. As well as the one of that you don't age anymore.

"Mpph ... that one hasn't sunk in yet ..."

"It will eventually"

She blinked, and whirled around to see who had snuck up on them. Makius snorted in mock disgust as his pupil was swung around by her lover. As much as he griped about it, he was fond of the strange demon lord ... a creation of true chaos, not just evil, as so many of the lords had evolved to. He sighed as she pinned her lover to the ice, using ice shards to pin down his clothing.

Really, Cyn, when are you going to invest in a normal relationship?

They both gave Makius an indignant look ... and a simultanious answer.

"NORMAL IS BORING!"


Cyn smiled softly, remembering those old times ... Cera paused in picking up plates from the dinner table, noting her sister's smile. "Thinking of something nice, Cyn?"

"Just ... remembering training." Cyn murmured, absently stroking the draconic head resting in her lap. "Not so long ago, eh, Makius?"

The ice daemon snorted, not bothering to open his eyes. Only by human reckoning. 'Twas little more than a blink of an eye ago. You're learning how to think right. Now keep scratching.

The sisters laughed softly, Cera turning to head for the kitchen, Cyn resuming scratching the top of Makius's head. From her corner of the cabin, Cilia looked up from her homework. "Mama, can you help me with this?"

"No, duckling ... that's your homework, you need to do it. No cheating by asking your teacher."

"Well, Maki, can you help me then?"

That is Makius, hatchling. And yes, I will help you. With a grumbling sigh, the ice demon pulled his head from Cyn's lap, and waddled across the floor to peer at what Cilia was working on. Cyn smiled at the sight of her teacher helping her daughter ... a strange sight become familiar, the pudgy resting form of an ice daemon so close to a small, apparently human child.

With a sigh, the golden-eyed female turned her gaze to the window, staring out at the snow. Perhaps she should go out and train again, tonight. The weather was perfect.


Fanfiction