Chapter 2: Yuki


The sound of a slap resounded through the air. Closed eyes winced as the hit struck her cheek soundly. "What I have said is true," she said softly, her face throbbing. "I do not lie to you."

"The Slayer is still alive." Green eyes flashed angrily at the snow haired girl. "You came here to tell me she is still alive."

"You asked only of me to watch her."

His hand rose again, formed a claw, and hit her cheek. Blood ran down her chin, dripping onto her pale hand. The hand balled into a fist. "You are bound to me, and I can do as I wish," he hissed at her as he ignored the blood. "Now, Yuki-chan, give me some good news."

Yuki almost snarled at the name forced upon her. "The Slayer is weak. Killing her will be no problem." Her closed eyes twitched in anger.

"The Slayer is weak." Another slap. "Is that all? What about her friends?"

"I do not know." As his hand prepared for another slap, Yuki opened her eyes the slightest bit. He faltered, and took a step back, arm falling to the side. She closed her eyes again.

His head shook as he tried to free himself of her power. "Yuki..."

"Kirne-sama, may I leave?" she interrupted. "I do need to get back to my duty."

The vampire smiled sadistically. "Oh, but Yuki-chan... you need that blood cleaned off. Now, be a good demon and come here."

Yuki obeyed, hands in fists. As soon as the Slayer kills you, she thought as he licked off her blood, I am free. And that moment could not come fast enough.


Lina groaned softly, and opened her eyes. Then, memory grabbed her, and she looked around. Zel...?

"Oh, Lina-san," Syphiel said, smiling. "I'm glad to see you're awake."

"Syphiel?" she whispered weakly. "W-where's Zel?"

"Zelgadis-san left after he saw you were alright," the priestess said. "Is something wrong?"

Lina shook her head. "No... Syphiel, has there ever been a time you loved someone you knew you couldn't ever have?" When Syphiel nodded, she went on. "I mean, I love him and all, but we're practically enemies. H-he's a... and I'm..."

"Lina-san, what are you talking about?" Syphiel asked, confused.

"Oh." Lina blushed a brilliant crimson. "That's right, you don't know." Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she said, "I'm the vampire Slayer. And... Zel's a vampire. But," Lina said quickly when she saw that Syphiel was starting to say something, "I... I love him." She started playing with the edge of the blanket that was over her. "I... love him. Demo... we're enemies. I'm suppose to slay vampires, but now I have fuzzy feelings towards one?"

Syphiel blinked at the sudden revelations. "Zelgadis-san... a vampire? How?"

"I don't know," the Slayer said miserably. "I just know... I hurt when he hurts... I smile when he does... and I don't ever want to be away from him."

The priestess smiled softly at the sorceress. "Then, you need to tell him! He isn't evil or anything. Why would Zelgadis-san bring you in if he was? And this is hurting the both of you..." Lina interrupted Syphiel's train of thought as she started coughing. "Oh, Lina-san! I'm so stupid, keeping you from recovering." When she started to protest, the priestess shook her head firmly. "No buts! Back to sleep."

Lina smiled ruefully. "Alright." She had barely closed her eyes again when sleep overtook her...

Sleep... and dreams.


Chapter 3   |   Fanfiction