Its Better This Way


Notes

The song is Full of Grace by Sarah McLachlan.


The winter is cold and bitter
It chilled us to the bone

Zelgadis shivered, not from the cold, but from the hopelessness seeping into his self like blue ice that can form in an old hollow tree in winter. He'd been searching for a cure, a way to turn himself human again, for years... with no luck. He was beginning to think that there was none.

I haven't seen the sun for weeks
Too long too far from home

He needed that cure, now more than ever, if he was to be worthy for the one his heart now beat for. He was considering giving up. All was lost; at least that's what he was beginning to believe.

I feel just like I'm sinking
And I claw for solid ground

I can't give up, not if there's a chance, he tried to tell himself. Hopelessness froze inside him, an almost physical pain. He decided to leave Lina's group, and told them coldly he was going off on his own to look for a cure.

I'm pulled down by the undertow
I never thought I could feel so low
Oh, darkness I feel like letting go

As he walked away his hand went to the dagger he had picked up a while ago, a blood dagger, capable of piercing even his stone skin without any aid. "It'd be better this way, especially if by some miracle she does feel for me," he whispered, tears falling from his eyes as he walked onward.

If all of the strength and all of the courage
Come and lift me from this place
I know I can love you much better than this
Full of grace, full of grace, my love

He looked behind him, even though he knew they were out of sight - that she was out of sight. He cursed his cowardice to continue his life as a Chimera, his blue, stone skin setting him apart from every human, apart from her. "I'm sorry Lina, you deserve better than me..."

It's better this way, I said
Haven't seen this place before

He took the dagger out of its case, clutching it in his fist, his eyes shut tight, a tear falling through every now and then. He held it level with his heart. "Its better this way..."

Where everything we say and do
Hurts us all the more

He barely heard the footsteps nearing where he stood, but it was her voice that broke his resolve for a moment. "What's better what way?" Lina asked. She then noticed the dagger that had barely touched his chest, and the bead of blood on the tip of the blade. "Zel! What are you doing!" she managed to scream... her eyes began to water and then softly, she spoke again, "No Zel, I love you..."

It's just that we've stayed too long
In the same old sickly skin

The words touched his heart and strengthened his resolve, "It's better this way... if I'm gone, and not like this." He damned Rezo for turning him into what he now was, with more hate than ever now that he knew Lina did care for him as he had come to care for her...

I'm pulled down by the undertow
I never thought I could feel so low
Oh darkness I feel like letting go

She screamed as he began to push the dagger towards his chest, "Zel... no... you don't have to be human – I love you as you are!!" She ran to him and tried to push the dagger away from him...

If all of the strength and all of the courage
Come and life me from this place
I know I can love you much better than this
Full of grace

He heard her gasp as she pushed the dagger away, then he saw what had happened. The dagger had embedded itself in her shoulder, blood flowed from the wound, her eyes were shut and she was barely breathing. "Lina... why?" he asked as he pulled out the dagger. He held her close to him as he tried to stop the flow of blood... "I love you..."

I know I can love you much better than this

Slowly her eyes opened and she smiled. "I'm gonna be okay, Zel, it'll just take some time... don't worry..." He smiled at her and bent down to kiss her...

"I was wrong," He spoke after the kiss...

Its better this way.

"Its better THIS way..."


Fanfiction