Night After


Zelgadiss pulled the sheets over his head to block out the warm rays of sunlight. Oh gods, was it morning already? He felt like he had just fallen into bed. Probably just did too.

"Why did I ever let Lina talk me into going to that party?" he groaned rolling over.

Trying to get some more sleep, he breathed in deeply, that fresh scent that reminded him of spring...

Zel always thought it was odd that Lina would use that kind of scented wash for her hair. For all of her wild tomboyish antics, there was still some spark of femininity in her. He nestled deeper into the soft tousled hair.

Wait a minute...

Zel's eyes popped open. He was greeted with a head of glossy red hair spilling over the white sheets. Swallowing, he slowly looked down. Laying there curled up in the bed sheets was Lina sleeping like child.

When, Why, How, What is going on?!?! his mind screamed as Zel scrambled backwards right over the edge of the bed, crashing upside down onto the wooden floor.

Zel bit down on his lip to keep himself from crying aloud. He froze in his awkward position. The only sounds were his loudly beating heart and Lina's soft even breathing. Zel thanked whoever was listening that Lina was sleeping rather deeply. Cautiously, he righted himself and while doing so, noticed that he was still fully clothed in a pair of pajamas.

At least I haven't done anything yet...I think...

Zel kneeled next to the bed, looking at the sleeping girl. Amelia had said once that Lina didn't sleep still, that she was as bad asleep as when she was awake. The peacefully sleeping person before him certainly didn't seem that way. Even her normal waking self didn't seem this way. This seemed like a totally different person.

That surely would be replaced by the Lina he knew very well if she woke up and found him watching her sleep. Absently, he pulled the sheets higher around her before tiptoeing over to where his clothes were draped on the back of chair. Lina's clothes were likewise hanging from another chair but the eerie thing was the way they were folded. It was the same way he always folded his.

Zel shook his head, pulling off the pajamas and slipping into his ivory pants. He had just picked up his shirt when Lina suddenly sat up and looked at him. There was no time for him to hide. He prepared for the inevitable Fireball.

Lina blinked. Zel in her room only in his pants. She must be dreaming. Plopping back into bed, she willed herself to sleep. Even if it was only a dream, it certainly was a very nice dream.

Zel let himself breath again. He threw on his shirt, grabbed his cloak, belt, and sword and made all haste out of the door before Lina really did wake up. Outside in the hall, he fastened his belt and sword and clasped the cloak in place. Zel needed to know exactly what was going on and how he and Lina had ended up in the same room, not to mention bed.

But for the life of him, he couldn't remember which room the others should be in. Heck, he didn't even recognize where they were. That was saying a lot since inns tended to all look alike. Maybe the innkeeper could shed some light.

Downstairs in the dining room, the morning crowd was only just arriving. Pulling on his hood, Zel chose a secluded corner table with a view of both the front door and the stairs to the rooms. When a waitress came to take his order, he absently ordered some eggs and toast. With a silver coin tip, he also asked her to bring the innkeeper to his table.

While waiting and watching the other customers, Zel fiddled nervously with his ring. Wait a minute, since when did he wear a ring? He looked in confusion at the ring on his hand. Perhaps it was because of something he drank at the party last night that his usually quick mind was reduced to a crawl.

Ring on finger.

Fourth finger on hand.

On left hand.

Zel swore.

"Not the kind of things I usually hear first thing in the morning," the Innkeeper smiled, setting Zel's order on the table. "Have an argument with the missus?"

"With who?"

"The missus. Your wife. Pretty young thing she is too. But probably not as young as she looks eh?" the Innkeeper winked.

Zel looked blankly at him. Of course he had realized that the ring he wore was a wedding band. But his calm collected logical side told him that there was no way anyone could get married in the span of one night. Especially since most of said night he could clearly remember as being spent in the company of many people not all of which he would call friend.

Then there was "his wife" that the Innkeeper was talking about...

"My...wife..." Zel repeated slowly. "Humor me. What exactly does my wife look like?"

The Innkeeper shrugged. "Short, slim, not very developed if you get my meaning but I think it suits her, perfect complexion and coloring, bright red hair and eyes like fire, able to out eat twelve men, a meaner temper than a red dragon, outstanding sorceress and not a bad hand at the sword either."

Zel just stared as the Innkeeper went on to perfectly describe the sleeping girl he had left in the inn room. "How...how do you know her so well?"

The Innkeeper smiled. "Oh I've known both of you for quite awhile though I think this is the first time you've ever come to one of my properties as a married couple! I'll remember to keep the larder stocked for your wife when she comes down to eat. Don't want her leveling the place with a Dragu Slabu again." Chuckling to himself, the Innkeeper left a very bewildered Zelgadiss sitting at his table with a cooling breakfast.


Lina nuzzled into her soft pillow but her mind just wasn't letting her sleep. There was something out of place that was niggling at the back at her mind. What was it? It could have been that really realistic dream of Zel without his shirt...

Feeling herself blush, she buried her face into the pillow.

Let's not think about that now.

That was it. She could think clearly. Lina opened her eyes. Why didn't she have a hangover? At the party last night, she had put away enough alcohol to give Naga a run for her money. Not to mention how much of the spiked punch she also had.

Ohhhh, I hope I didn't make an utter fool of myself last night.

As Mr. Sun insisted on shining directly onto the bed, Lina finally rolled over and got up. Yawning, she quickly looked over the room. Just how did she get here? Lina's stomach voiced a complaint.

"Hai, hai. It's time to scare up some food."

Lina changed quickly, never noticing how her clothes were neatly folded instead of being thrown carelessly on a chair. She didn't notice the ring on her finger either but hey, she was hungry. Very hungry. So hungry that she would start tearing up the floor and walls and be eating wood if she didn't get downstairs for something else. Minor things like a ring on her finger could wait.

Only a stirring of dust marked her descent as she came to a skidding halt in the dining room. Looking around, she spotted Zel in a corner just looking at a plate of food. Grabbing a chair and inviting herself to the table, Lina yelled to the waitress to get her whatever was cooking in the kitchen before eyeing Zel's plate.

"Are you going to eat that?"

Zel looked at her in surprise. He had been so caught up in trying to figure out what was going on that he hadn't heard Hurricane Lina touch down.

"No - "

"SoIcanhaveitrightokaythanks," Lina rambled before digging into the cold breakfast.

Zel watched her. Lina didn't seem to be acting any different. Maybe she knew what was going on.

"Ano, Lina - "

"Aaaah," Lina sighed, finishing the cold food. "Hey over there! Where's my breakfast? And whatever that guy in blue is eating, I'll have three servings of that! I need something to drink, do you have any fruit juice or something?"

Zel shook his head and pulled his hood down even further. "Lina."

"What?" Lina asked, sitting back down after yelling out her order loud enough to be heard across the street.

"Have...Does anything seem different to you?"

"Different?" Lina sat back to think. Well, there was that dream.... Ah, don't think about it. "No, I don't think so."

Zel fiddled with the ring again before realizing it. Wonder if I should take the chance and ask her about this?

"Ah! Foodfoodfoodfoodfood!" Plate after plate of food began to appear to Lina's delight.

Zel just sighed and resigned himself to waiting until Lina was done with her meal. Maybe she'll be a bit more sedate and less likely to Dragu Slabu him when she had a full stomach.


Zel had counted thirty plates before Lina put down her fork and knife. Actually, she ate much more calmly without Gourry, probably because she didn't need to fight for the food.

"Hmmm," Lina smiled happily. "Where is everyone else? Don't tell me I was the last one up."

Zel cleared his throat. His thoughts had been running along the same lines. "Well..."

"What's taking you two so long?"

Zel's jaw dropped as he looked at the speaker. Lina turned around in her chair to watch a tall man with violet hair and fair skin and was probably the image someone had in mind when the phrase 'drop-dead handsome' was coined. Though dressed in forest browns, he had the air of nobility and he sat down at their table as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"Who are you?" Lina asked the stranger, noticing Zel pushing himself even further into the corner he was sitting in.

The man, whose face was that kind that was neither old or young, smiled kindly at Lina. "Of course we haven't been introduced properly yet." He picked up Lina's hand and brought it up to his lips. Lina turned red to the roots of her hair. "My name is Terim Graywords, your father-in-law." And then he kissed her hand.

"DAD!!" Zel exploded. "Stop charming ladies already!!"

Terim shrugged. "I'm not doing it on purpose, it's just natural for me to do this. You know that only your mother has my heart. In a jar on her desk if I'm not mistaken."

"And it isn't just the charming - "

Terim clapped a hand on his eldest son's shoulder. "Yes, yes. I understand completely. Newlyweds are still shaky on their relationship. In fact, I remember when your mother and I were in our third month - "

"Dill Brando!!"

The inn and all of its people burst into the air in a column of earth.

Lina took a deep breath to clear her mind. Okay, now I'm feeling better.

"Refreshed?"

"What?!" Lina screamed and tripped over a broken chair. She barely noticed falling onto the ground, as she pointed and stammered incoherently at Terim sitting calmly on his chair. "How...how...you weren't....you should've..."

The piece of wall next to her was pushed away revealing Zelgadiss underneath. A quite irritated Zelgadiss.

"Lina, don't you think that was a little extreme?" he growled.

"What do you mean extreme? It's not like I cast a Dragu Slabu or something," Lina retorted. "Besides which, what is that guy made of? He didn't get caught in the spell at all!"

"You blew up the inn! And for what reason?"

"Well, I was just in shock!" Lina said, flushed. "Some stranger out of nowhere comes in and calls himself my father-in-law and I'm not even married or anything."

Zel cleared his throat. "About that being married part..."

Terim watched the exchange with a smile.

"The building got blown up again," the Innkeeper said with a resigned sigh. "I just go out to buy some cheese and...can't take my eye off the place for a second."

"I'm very sorry about this," Terim apologized and produced a filled coin purse. "This purse of platinum coins should cover the damages."

The Innkeeper accepted the bag ruefully. "I've been thinking of getting out of the inn business. Seems like every single one I own gets blown up some way or other. But I'm afraid it's in the blood. I'll send you notice when I open a new place."

"Bye," Terim waved and turned back to the couple.

"Zel, just what are you trying to say?" Lina glared at the unusually nervous chimera. He had been stuttering and stammering for the last several minutes.

Zel rolled his eyes upward and hoped that whoever was responsible for this was enjoying themselves. He certainly wasn't.

"Lina," Zel said taking a deep breath. "You wouldn't happen to be wearing a ring now are you?"

"Don't be silly why would I - , oh."

Lina pulled off her left glove to find a gold band on her left hand. "Now just how did that get there. It isn't magical at all so why am I wearing it?"

"Then perhaps it has another purpose," Terim mentioned helpfully. Zel and Lina gave him dark looks.

"Ahem, Lina. What finger is the ring on?" Zel figured that if he let Lina figure out what was going on by herself, it would give him several more moments of life.

"You can see it yourself. Just what are you up to?"

"Humor me and answer the question. Please."

Lina shrugged. "Alright, it's on the ring finger."

Zel started to count the seconds. One. Two. Three.

"Oh sh - "

"It is certainly a lovely day isn't it?" Terim shaded his eyes as he looked up at the large blue expanse.

"I'M MARRIED?!?"

"What was that?"

Lina grabbed Terim by the neck and shook him. "And just to WHOM am I married to?!"

"I would think you knew that already but since you're asking so nicely, you're married to my eldest son. Zelgadiss."

"Traitor," Zel muttered, immediately summoning a magic shield to protect him from whatever Lina was going to throw at him. Well, protect himself from anything but a Dragu Slabu or Laguna Blade. He supposed he should be grateful that Lina didn't dare cast the Giga Slabu except in extreme emergencies but he didn't see how.

"Oh I get it," Lina laughed. "This is a dream. I'm still suffering from a hangover from last night's party. That's all."

Terim and Zelgadiss sweatdropped.

"So all I need to do is pinch myself."

Lina pinched herself. She was still standing in the remains of an inn she had blown up with a spell. There was still that man called Terim sitting there. The ring was still on her finger.

She slapped herself.

Nothing changed.

"Flow Break!"

A bit of wind blew some dust away.

"Ferrous Bleed!" Lina cast the summoning spell to see if this was actually reality and not some strange warped pocket dimension.

A small white dove flew up to her before she shooed it away.

"Okay! Enough already! Whoever you are this is real funny but you can end it now." Lina ran her hands through her hair. "This CANNOT be happening!"

Terim tipped his head to a side. "It seems that she isn't taking it very well."

"Why should she?" Zel replied bitterly. "Who would want to be married to a chimera?"

"I thought she already knew. My mother told me that you've been a chimera for quite some time now."

"That isn't the point," Lina snapped before catching herself.

"What isn't? Zel being a chimera or you're not knowing?"

"Of course I know he's a chimera. A little hard to miss the hair like wire or skin like stone."

"So you're saying that him being a chimera and you being married to him isn't the problem?"

"Yes! I mean no, that is I'm trying to say that just being married to someone is the problem!"

"You know, my wife would have said the very same thing after we were married. So what is the problem about marriage anyway?"

"That's just it!" Lina yelled waving her arms and pointing to the ring. "Just when did we get married?! Last night we were at a little reunion party and the next morning I wake up to find I'm married to Zel?!"

Terim pulled out a thick book from somewhere and flipped through it. "Let's see...from the message your grandmother passed on to me, you two were married in a quiet ceremony about nine to ten weeks ago."

"Nine to ten weeks?!?" Lina and Zel exclaimed.

"Father...just what is the date?"

"Why it's the..."

"THREE MONTHS?!" Lina shrieked. Zel just stared mutely in shock.

"So you really don't know?"

Lina and Zel shook their heads firmly.

"Oh dear. I hope you haven't...done anything yet."

"Just what things are you referring to?" Lina growled.

"You don't remember anything over the last several months?"

"As far as I know, there is no 'last several months'" Zel frowned. "How can three months be completely erased from someone's memory?"

Terim studied Lina and then looked at Zelgadiss. "Since I'm not very familiar with your wife, could you tell me if she looks different?"

Lina turned scarlet.

"Different? How so?" Zel asked.

"Oh you know. Altered eating habits, odd cravings, morning sickness, gaining additional weight..."

Zel gave his father the Look. "I only saw her again yesterday, or that is what I believe is yesterday. Just what are you hinting about?"

"I'm just wondering if she's pregnant."

"How can she be pregnant? That would mean..." Zel blushed crimson as thoughts figured it out faster than words.

Lina pulled back her left arm and nailed Zel with a straight punch. Ignoring the tingling pain in her hand, she turned on Terim. "Are you saying that Zel and I...we..."

"You are married and it's been over two months. Things do happen between people in love," Terim shrugged. "Of course if you want a legal separation, a child could complicate things. Child support, custody rights, and other stuff."

"I'm certain that we didn't do anything!" Zel sputtered.

Terim raised an eyebrow. "And how are you so certain?"

Pause.

"I just am."

"That was really smooth," Lina muttered. "Even if nothing did happen, there's still the matter of the marriage being on record. If we wanted a divorce, how do we get it?"

Zel nodded reluctantly. "I see no reason in keeping Lina in something she doesn't want to be in."

"Absolutely not," Terim said putting his fist on the table. "Getting divorced is absolutely out of the question."

"What?" asked two flat voices.

"You can't simply opt for divorce the minute you run into a problem. Why if that was the case, your mother and I would have separated during the honeymoon. No, you need to work things out between yourselves. That's what marriage is about, a lasting partnership. Plus, if you divorce once, you're more likely to do it again. And what kind of family structure does that create? Think of the children!"

"What children?!"

"Oh, that's right. You two are certain that you didn't engage in...certain activities."

Two brilliantly red faces.

"However, if you want to dissolve the marriage, you also need to get the witnesses to the ceremony to agree as well."

"Who made up that stupid rule?" Lina demanded.

"It's to keep couples from breaking up at the first disagreement."

"Oh."

"And so, according to my thick book, the witnesses to your marriage were Luna Inverse and Sealius."

"Sealius?! What was he doing there? He returned to Dark Star's world!" Zel exclaimed.

"Oh he drops in periodically. I never knew he attended your wedding. I'm hurt."

Lina crumpled to the ground. "Ne...Nee-chan was at the wedding...I'm doomed..."

"Well, she'll probably be easier to find than Sealius. Where is she?" Zel asked.

"IYAAAAAAAAAAAA!!" Lina wailed. "If she was there, then that means Daddy knows too! I am soooo dead!!"

Terim and Zelgadiss exchanged glances. Zel placed a hand on Lina's shoulder and shook her gently.

"Ano, Lina. What's so bad about your father and older sister knowing about this? Just go and ask them to sign the annulment papers."

"I am not going within half a continent of either of them!!"

"Hmmm. Seems like she doesn't want a divorce."

Zel turned on his father. "What are you talking about? Why would Lina, or anyone, want to be married to a chimera?"

"But didn't she say earlier that she didn't mind being married..."

"Don't get my hopes up!!" Zel hissed in a low voice directed to his father.

Terim's eyes lit up and he leaned over to his son. "So you do like her."

Zel sputtered unintelligibly.

Terim nodded. "Yes, the ranting of a man in love." He turned to Lina. "So he likes, no actually probably loves you very much. But the boy is so shy. Nothing like me, I proposed to his mother on our first date."

Lina blinked, still shell-shocked from the possible confrontation with her family.

"But I think before we continue any more talk of divorces, we should consult some third party members. And I know just the person!" Terim announced, standing up from his chair.

"And who would that be?" Zel asked tiredly.

"Your mother of course."

"You found her?"

"I know where to find her."

"You consider a blood relative a third party?" Lina looked up at Terim. He clapped his hands.

"Come now, we need to get going to catch the ship. Unless you want to sit in the destroyed remains of the inn for the rest of the day."

"Ship? You mean mom is back home?"

Lina noticed the worried looks Zel kept throwing at her. What was wrong with him anyway? He seemed very unbalanced today. But then, suddenly learning that you've been married to an unruly child for the last two months and a half should unbalance anyone.

Terim gestured for Lina and Zel to follow him. "No, she hasn't returned home but she's on another island if my sources are correct. It's as good a place to start as any."


Zel calculated the ship's position again. For the third time. He double checked the coordinates that Terim had given him of their destination. This couldn't be right.

"Hey, Dad!"

Terim put down his telescope. "Yes?"

"Could you come down here for a minute? I have something to ask you."

"Sure thing."

Terim put a hand on the bird nest's railing and leaped easily over the side. He landed nimbly on the deck as several other sailors ceased in their duties to simply gape at him. With the ease of a man borne on the sea, Terim walked over to his son who was studying a nautical map.

Zel tapped the piece of parchment. "Dad, there is no island, or land formation of any kind, at the coordinates you gave me."

"Oh don't worry. There is an island there."

Zel gave his father a disbelieving look. "I don't think the captain or the crew of this ship would accept our passage with only that as reassurance."

"Oh two bag of gold for each, one beforehand and another after we've arrived, did quite well. Plus they all are the adventurous type. Wait until we get in a huge sea storm or run up against a giant sea monster."

"I certainly hope we don't run into any sea serpents," Lina muttered, stretched out on a lawn chair. "Especially not gay ones."

Terim raised an eyebrow.

"Just don't ask," Zel said firmly, dragging his eyes away from the bikini-clad sorceress.

"How about looking?"

"What?"

"You said no asking her, but what about looking at her?"

"I thought you only had eyes for mom."

"Of course. Any married man should only have eyes for his wife. But you, I've noticed, are always trying not to look at her. It isn't as if she's hard on the eyes."

"Probably because you don't know her like I do," Zel snorted. "If she even thinks I'm looking, she'll roast me."

"Hmmmm. Well, the other sailors seem to be doing all of your staring for you, what with their eyes glued to her."

"What?!"

All activity on deck stopped to look at the outburst from the usually very quiet ivory cloaked man. Even Lina sat up and tipped her shades to look at Zel who had decided to be Mr. Sulk ever since the ship left port.

Terim smiled blandly. "Was that a hint of jealousy I heard? But if you didn't care for her, why would you need to be jealous?"

Zel glared at his father for several minutes before whirling around and disappearing below deck. Lina lay back on the chair with a disappointed sigh. After having him sulking below deck for nearly a week, she had finally coaxed him to come up and his father goes and drives him back down.

Closing her eyes, she could feel the warm sun rays over her skin. Idly, Lina wondered exactly how much Zel could feel through his skin. Being stone it could resist damage and the magical properties of a rock golem made Zel invulnerable to all normal weapons. When Filia hit him with her mace and when he blocked that cannon ball, he had certainly felt them or at least was in pain afterwards. But that took a lot of force. What about normal things? Like the wind, the sun, a person's touch...

"So what do you think?"

Jolted out of her reverie, Lina peered through her shades at Terim. "Think? About what?"

"About my son."

"What do you mean?" Lina asked sharply.

"Oh anything in general. I'm afraid I haven't been a very good father, always gone looking for his mother. Perhaps if I had stayed with him more, he wouldn't have met that person."

"Rezo?" Lina noticed a dark undercurrent when Terim mentioned 'that person'.

"Yes."

Looks like Zel's hatred of Rezo runs in the family, Lina thought.

"Well, you could say it's because of Rezo that we ever met."

"Is that so? Could you tell me about it? I really don't know much about what Zelgadiss has been up to these past several years."

"Okay." Lina didn't see the harm in that. She could just stick to the facts. "I first met Zel when he tried to buy something from me that I'd...acquired from the Dragon Fang Bandits. After I refused to sell it to him, he sent berserkers and trolls after me. Soon after, he separated me from Gourry and captured me. But that didn't do him any good because I didn't have what he wanted, I had hidden it on Gourry. So he broke me out later that night and we escaped but ran into Rezo. We got away from him and spent several days being chased by his goons before we found Gourry and Zel's men again. Then we were forced to meet Rezo and hand over the item he wanted but would you believe it? It was the Philosopher's Stone and he used it to open his eyes which in turn released the Ruby Eye Lord. So we beat the crap out of him and went our separate ways."

"Was that it?"

"Oh no. I met Zel again when Rezo's Copy put up wanted posters for all of us. He saved us from a surprise attack by Eris and her Vrumugun clones. We worked together to break into Rezo's lab beneath Sairaag only to run into a Mazoku Chicken and Rezo's legacy, Zanaffar. So then the copy Rezo killed Eris and absorbed Zanaffar. He wanted to defeat us because we defeated Rezo. At the end, I was once again victorious but the peace didn't last since Prince Phil pulled us off on another Saillune rescue mission. After that, I didn't see Zel again until Zoana where we were both after the Book of Zoana. Then since both of us wanted the Claire Bible, we followed various rumors and ended up as pawns of the Hellmaster Fibrizo. Because of that, Chaos Dragon Gaav wanted to kill us but Fibrizo killed him instead. Fibrizo lured us back to Sairaag where he planned to use...a spell I can cast to destroy the world. But something went wrong, I'm not sure what, but from what everyone else told me, the Hellmaster was destroyed. With him destroyed, the Mazoku Barrier fell and for the first time in 1000 years we could travel beyond it. Our paths crossed again in a port town that was about to launch ships on exploratory trips to the outside world. However, we all got dragged into this prophecy where we had to defeat Dark Star of all things! And to complicate things, one of Gaav's old minions, a Ancient Dragon-turned-Mazoku, wanted to kill me for killing Gaav!"

"But didn't you say that it was Fibrizo who killed Gaav?"

"Yes, but it's rather hard to tell someone that when the first thing he does when he meets you is try to kill you."

Terim nodded in agreement. "You certainly talk a lot."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lina snapped.

"It seems like you and Zel have been through much."

"I guess so."

"So why did you two separate?"

Lina looked up into the sky. "Oh he was always obsessed with finding a way to return himself back to normal. I mean, at first after Rezo, he just seemed to want to be alone. But when we met in Zoana again, he was so... distant. And all he could think about was finding a Claire Bible manuscript. Hmph, now that I think about it, I'm surprised he didn't strike off on his own earlier. We were always sidetracking him."

"Yes, why did he stay? Zel can be quite obsessed and focused on something. It tends to run in the family."

"Well, he should learn to lighten up a bit. Always acting dark and gloomy. That'll kill him sooner than anything else."

"Which is why you've been trying to get him to come out of the cabin."

"I succeeded until you had to tease him enough to drive him back there."

Terim smiled and shrugged. "As you said, the boy needs to take things less seriously. By the way, you didn't sunbathe before now."

Lina quickly looked away. "I just felt like it today."

"Oh really. Well then don't stay out too long or you'll get burned. But I don't think you'll feel like laying out here much longer."

"What are you implying?"

"I think you can answer your own question."

Terim left an unusually contemplative Lina on the deck.


"Are you sure mom is here?" Zel cast a dubious look at the thick forest around him.

As Terim had said, there was an island. True to his word, Terim had paid each member of the ship a bag of gold before taking the three of them to shore on a lifeboat. Lina briefly caught a case of gold fever at the sight of all of the money, enough to distract her mind from the fact that the ship left.

"Of course I'm sure," Terim replied, pushing branches out of his way. "And as proof..."

"Halt!"

Three grotesque creature suddenly appeared before the three adventurers.

"Mazoku?!"

Lina and Zel immediately summoned spells to mind. Terim held them back with an arm.

"Let me handle this."

"Handle what foolish human? What can you do against us? We are going to rend your flesh, devour your soul, and crush your mind!!"

One of the Mazoku scratched its head with a curved green talon. "Wait. I thought it was rend the mind, devour the flesh, and crush the soul?"

The third one shook its head. "No no. Why would you want to rend a mind? I do agree that the devour flesh sounds better though."

"Really? So would it be rend the soul and..."

"What fun is crushing a mind?"

"Shoot. Now I don't remember the correct order."

"Ahem," Terim coughed. "If you don't mind, we'll let you sort it out and just go on our merry way."

"Oh, of course. Thanks. Go right ahead."

"Bye," Terim waved.

Lina watched the exchange blankly. Zel seemed slightly less surprised.

"Come on, Lina," Zel said, guiding the sorceress forward.

It was only after they lost sight of the Mazoku trio that Lina found her voice again.

"What just happened?"

"What would you be referring to?"

"Forget it Lina," Zel cut off the girl. "You'll get used to it. He has that kind of effect on things."

Lina scowled, knowing that Zel wasn't telling her something. "If you're not going to explain how we just went by a group of Mazoku without a scratch then explain to me what Mazoku are doing on this island. Isn't your mother supposed to be here?"

"I don't know why Mazoku are here but I suppose I should have expected that."

Question marks popped around Lina's head. Zel waved them away.

"You'll understand soon," he said cryptically.

"Ah, I knew there was a building somewhere in this place," Terim said with an air of satisfaction.

The building that seemed to have appeared just before them was a large sprawling castle. And as was required of all castles was a guardian, an embodiment of pure muscle. With an eyeball and a mouth.

"Eww," Lina winced. Zel silently agreed.

"Greetings," Terim smiled.

The guardian Mazoku growled, towering over Terim and flexing.

"None shall pass," it rumbled.

"But my wife works here."

"She does?"

"Yes."

"Oh well family is different. Why are you visiting?"

"Our son just got married and I wanted her to meet her daughter-in-law."

Zel clamped a hand over Lina's protest.

The guardian Mazoku smiled. Sort of. "Congratulations. Go right in."

"Thank you. Come along children."

Zel half-led, half-dragged a gagged Lina through the door. Terim followed them into a wide corridor that lead to several smaller ones. There were also some doors scattered along the walls.

"Where to now?" Zel asked looking around.

"Perhaps you should let go of your wife first," Terim replied, pointing to the very blue Lina.

"Ah, sorry," Zel apologized, finally letting her go. Lina elbowed him hard in the gut. "I said I was sorry," he gasped.

"Guess we'll just have to find someone and ask," Terim mused, opening the closest door. "Excuse me?"

"Whazzup?"

Terim, Zel, and Lina looked into a room filled with such a variety creatures of hideous forms and tangible evil auras that they could only be Mazoku. There were also assorted equipments of torture and creatures in varying amounts of pain. Lina and Zel paled.

"So sorry for interrupting your meal but I was wondering if you could direct me to whoever is the head of this fine establishment? I'm looking for someone."

"The Master is down the western corridor. You can find the room from the screaming. If you need anymore help, just look for signs on the walls."

"Thank you very much. Please go on with your meal."

The Mazoku waved good-bye. Back in the hall, Terim looked over the very pale and shaken Lina and Zel.

"You've never seen a Mazoku feed before?"

They shook their heads.

"Well, now you know to avoid such situations in the future. Come along. The sooner we find the master of this place, the sooner we find your mom."

"Is this entire place filled with Mazoku?" Lina asked, keeping her fear hidden behind a mask of curiosity. "Is Zel's mother a prisoner here?"

Terim and Zel weren't sure how to answer that. Luckily, something else distracted them.

"Here's one of those signs that Mazoku must have been talking about," Zel pointed out, grateful for the change in topic. "It says 'This way to the Greater Beast. Proceed at your own risk.'"

"How helpful." Terim followed the direction the arrow pointed.

"Wait just a moment," Lina cried grabbing the man by the shirt. "Are you crazy?! Don't tell me you've brought us to Wolf Pack Island?!"

"Why else did you think it wasn't on a map?"

"What, for the love of Ceiphied, is Zel's mother doing on Wolf Pack?!?"

"Remind me to ask her when we find her."

Lina looked at Terim's departing back. "Zel. Is he serious?"

"Completely. Coming?"

Lina threw her arms in the air. "Sure. Why not? Didn't I ever tell you it was my life ambition to personally meet all of the Mazoku Lords?"

Zel smiled as Lina stormed after his father. Yes, she was definitely scared and she sure as hell wasn't going to show it. Still...how would she react when she learned his mother was a Mazoku?

A scream of pain ripped down the hall.

"Yes, I think we're going the right way," Terim nodded.

Lina frowned. "Zel. Did that scream seem...familiar?"

He shrugged. "Whoever it's from, they're not too far down."

Terim beckoned them to one door. "I think it's this one," he whispered. "Listen."

"Please Master. Please stop. I've learned my lesson."

Lina raised an eyebrow. Now this voice sounded very familiar. She glanced at Zel and he nodded. Silently, he mouthed a name. Xelloss.

"Oh really? You think I'll let you off this easily? After you stole my secret vintage to give to humans?! Just a shot of that will give a Mazoku a hangover for a week! There's no telling what kind of effects it'll have on human physiology!!"

Lina mimed pouring something into a an invisible cup in her hand and drinking from that cup. Zel understood. Looks like Xelloss spiked the punch at that party with his Master's special vintage. Zel supposed that only losing three months of your life was a small price to pay to see Xelloss in trouble and in pain.

"Let's go in, shall we?" Terim opened the door before Lina or Zel could stop him.

Inside was Xelloss stretched out on the old torture device known as the Rack. Besides him was a tall tanned woman with long yellow hair and wearing a white sundress. Both of them snapped their eyes on the intruders and both of them dropped their jaws in surprise.

"Lina? And that stone thing."

"Zel, just ignore him," Lina pleaded, holding the chimera back.

"Zela? What are you doing to that person?" Terim asked.

Lina and Xelloss blinked. Lina looked up at Zel.

"Is that your mom?"

Xelloss sputtered in mirth. "His mother?! That's the Greater Beast Zelas Metallium! My master!"

"Xelloss. Sleep." Zelas knocked out her servant.

"Mom...you're actually Zelas?"

"Er...that is to say..." Zelas fumbled for words.

"I should of known," Terim shook his head.

"You didn't know your mother was a Mazoku?" Lina asked stunned.

"No, we knew she was a Mazoku," Terim corrected. "We just didn't know she was a Mazoku Lord."

"So if your mother was a Mazoku, that would have made you a Half-Mazoku..." Lina muttered to herself and then turned on Zelgadiss. "You were already a Half-Mazoku and you still wanted to be stronger?!?"

"I already told you about the why behind that," Zel said uncomfortably.

"And you just 'neglected' to mention that you were Half-Mazoku. What is it? It never came up in the conversation?" Lina glared at Zelgadiss.

"What difference would it have made?" Zel growled. After all, it would only have driven away the only friends he had.

"Who is she?" Zelas asked.

"Oh, that's Lina Inverse," Terim introduced. "Zel's wife."

"WHAT?!?!"

Part of the West Wing of the Greater Beast's Castle blew up. Zelas stood fuming in the newly ventilated chamber. Terim simply dusted off some dirt on his shoulder as Lina peeked out from behind Zelgadiss.

"That immature, destructive, conceited, ill-mannered runt is married to my mature, serene, modest, polite little baby?!"

Both Lina and Zel sprouted sweatdrops. Well, Zel did. Lina's sweatdrops quickly evaporated with her rising temper.

"Who are you calling an immature, destructive, conceited, ill-mannered runt?!?"

"I think that would be obvious. A little girl who is always demanding things done her way or no way at all, who destroys things at a drop of a hat, and who wouldn't know fine manners if it was a roast chicken that she just devoured."

"So you're saying I'm not good enough for your son?!"

"Exactly!!"

Zel, caught in the middle between Lina and Zelas, gave his father a pleading look.

"And the age difference!" Zelas moaned. "That alone should be grounds for refusing this marriage!"

Zel looked confused. "But mom, we're only a few years-"

"She looks like a little girl! An immature, small-chested fifteen year old girl!!"

"Oh fifteen year old is not good enough? Well I'll have you know that I'm seven years shy from 500!"

"Even worse! My darling isn't getting married to some old maid!"

"Me an old maid? And how old were you when you married? About 5000?!"

"I'm a Mazoku. Time means nothing to me. But since you're human that's no excuse. I want this marriage dissolved immediately!"

"Unfortunately dear," Terim interrupted. "In order to do that, we need to get one of the witnesses from the original ceremony to sign the papers. And as Sealius is currently offworld, that only leaves Lina's older sister Luna."

Zelas' stormcloud face vanished. "Oh that's all? Why didn't you say so earlier? I'm sure she'll see it my way. Let's go."

"I wouldn't be so sure if I was you," Lina muttered.

"But Dad sent the ship away. How are we going to get back to the mainland?"

"Oh that's no problem. I have a permanent Dimensional Door between here and Zefilia. We'll have this all wrapped up before sundown."


A Dimensional Door isn't a teleportation spell per se. Teleportation implies travel between dimensions, where the distance traveled is done in another dimension. The concept behind Dimensional Door is like a string. Imagine the string is a path connecting two places. If you bring the two ends of the string together, you still get to the same destination but without crossing the distance. That is what a Dimensional Door does.

The impromptu magic lecture ended with four people suddenly appearing in a town square.

"Is this...Zefilia?" Zel asked cautiously.

Lina looked around and behind her at the town square's statue of Ruby Eye and Ceiphied sharing wine. She stifled a groan.

"Unfortunately," she replied sourly.

"WINE! ZEFILIA WINE!!!" Zelas shrieked, super-deforming in a puff of smoke and dashing toward the lined up barrels of wine. "WINE! WINE! WINE! WINE!"

"That always was her favorite vintage," Terim sighed.

"That doesn't explain why she has a permanent portal to here," Lina grumbled. "I don't know why 'she' even lets it exist."

Zel wondered who Lina was talking about.

"Ahhhh! Zelas! How many times have I told you that these are for the customers!! You can come to the manor to have some when you're visiting with Luna and you can have your designated share from each harvest but you CANNOT have any of the rest!!"

The person scolding the Chibi-Zelas in hand gave the chibi a good shake and dropped the full sized Zelas. Flicking back her braid of long silver hair, she turned to look at the other newcomers. Her eyes were immediately drawn toward the petite sorceress.

"Why Lina! I haven't seen you for so long. How are you?" cried the woman only slightly taller than Lina as she hugged the red head.

"I've missed you too, Narina," Lina said hugging her back. "But truth to tell, I wouldn't be here if I had a choice."

"I quite understand. But who are the other two?"

"Ummm..."

"TE-RIMMMMMMMM!!!"

The ground beneath everyone's feet rumbled ominously.

"It can't be..." Lina murmured.

Narina sighed. "Yes it is."

The ground directly before Terim suddenly erupted and a dark figure leaped high into the air.

"Prepare for your doom, spawn of Rezo, son of Vandamar!!"

The black blur bounded around the square. Zel figured he could beat it at his top speed but its agility outclassed his.

"My 250 year charged super burning electrifying ultra ki blast!!" roared the attacker as it headed straight for Terim.

Lina buried her face in her hands as Narina patted her shoulder sympathetically.

Terim held out one hand before him. "Block."

Ki struck an invisible barrier and the two crackled loudly in a whirl of blinding light, knocking everyone to the ground. When the fireworks cleared, Terim stood blocking the punch of a fit middle-aged man with a trim mustache. His hair was gray and he wore a belted robe in a fashion Zelgadiss had never seen.

"Not bad Terim. The years haven't seemed too harsh on you," smirked the man.

"They've been gentler to me than to you, old friend. I still remember some more colored strands in your hair before."

"One doesn't stay young forever. We're still evenly matched. So what brings you here?"

"Oh some family business. What about you? What can interest a devout student of the arts as yourself in a wine country?"

The man laughed. "Why, this is my home!"

"Really? You should have told me that, Katsuhito. I would have paid a visit."

"I don't really tell anyone where I come from, same as you. So you have a family now? Introduce me."

"Of course. Katsuhito, this is my wife Zelas and my eldest son Zelgadiss. I have two younger ones but they aren't here now. Zelas, Zel, this is one of my old friends from before meeting Zelas."

"Umm, nice to meet you." Zel wasn't quite sure what else to say to someone who professed to wanting to kill his father only moments before. Zelas was less restrained.

"What was the big idea of trying to kill my husband?" she demanded, glaring daggers at Katsuhito.

Katsuhito laughed it off. "That's just a little greeting ritual we have. Nothing fatal at all. But I was sure there was someone else with you."

"You mean Lina?" Zel pointed to the sorceress trying to quietly sneak away.

"Lina?"

Lina froze in her tracks. And then broke into an all out sprint. Which did her absolutely no good as she found herself crushed in a bear hug.

"Oh my dear little baby!! It's been so long since I've last seen you. How could you have stayed away without letting daddy know where you were!!"

"Daddy?!" cried three incredulous voices.


"Everyone, this is my father, Katsuhito Inverse, head of the Inverse Dojo," Lina introduced with a hint of exasperation.

"Actually, Katsuhito isn't his real name but it was the one he adopted ever since he met that traveling martial artist when he was young," Narina explained with the same exasperated tone.

"What exactly is a dojo?" Zel asked.

"Well, it is a school for a discipline of martial arts. The training facilities are behind this manor. I think it is unique in the entire world."

"It most certainly is," Katsuhito smiled brightly. "Now tell me, Terim, exactly what kind of family business brought you to Zefilia."

"Well, you see, it's like this. We need to meet your eldest daughter Luna. She was a witness to a wedding that now wants to be annulled."

"I see what you mean. However, I cannot condone such a course of action. Divorce is not something to be taken lightly."

"Exactly what I told them but perhaps they'll listen to you better."

"Be certain of it. Who are the married people in question?"

"My eldest son and your youngest daughter."

"Oh, that's good. They're both right here. Now listen you two - WHAT!!"

"Here it comes," Lina groaned.

"Absolutely not! I do not condone this marriage!! Do whatever you have to but this marriage is considered canceled!!"

"But I thought you just said it was alright," Terim replied.

"Not when it concerns one of my little girls, especially my baby girl!! I haven't even set up an arranged marriage to screw her over yet!"

"You were planning on arranging a marriage for me?!" Lina screamed.

"Don't yell at your father!" Katsuhito scolded. "My little baby is not getting married to some stranger I've never even met!"

"Good. So we're agreed," Zelas said satisfied, crossing her arms. "We can just get Luna to sign the papers and this will all just be a bad memory."

"Yes, yes of course. It would dishonor our ancestors to have my baby married to such a weakling."

"I don't recall my opinion being asked," Narina remarked dryly.

"Are you calling my son a weakling?!" Zelas roared.

Terim shrugged. "It has begun."

"Of course. Who else would I be calling a weakling? Why else would my little baby not tell me about her being married unless she was ashamed that he was a spineless weakling. Oh what humiliation she must have gone through!" Katsuhito whirled on Zelgadiss. "What kind of deceit did you employ to trick my innocent little baby?"

"Well...we weren't exactly in our right minds at the time I guess..."

"You were doing it under the influence?! Such irresponsibility!"

"Dad! I've been drinking wine since I was six!"

Katsuhito's face dropped, tears welling up in his eyes. "Dad? You're not calling me 'Daddy' anymore?"

Lina turned her back on him. "You have no right to control my life."

"So you want to marry this weakling?"

"Stop calling my boy a weakling!"

"Any person who wishes to court one of my little princesses, much less marry one of them, must defeat me in a battle to the death!"

"Who would want to marry the brat you have for a youngest daughter anyway?"

"You seek to insult our family honor?! I accept no weaklings as suitors."

"Like my son would ever think of wanting to court that kid!"

"Hold your tongue or I'll be fighting you to uphold the honor of my family."

"I'd like to see you try!"

"Could we get back to the question at hand?" Terim pleaded.

"For your friendship I will overlook your wife's indiscretion this time."

"And the divorce?"

"I do not bless any suitor who has not defeated me in combat. All those who I have defeated are weaklings. Those who don't dare to challenge me are spineless weaklings."

"Stop calling my son a spineless weakling! He can wipe the floor with you!"

"Is that a challenge I hear?"

"You bet your principle-bound hide it is!"

"Um, mom..."

"Now Zelgadiss," Terim put a hand on his son's shoulder. "If you want to keep this marriage you'll have to defeat Katsuhito. Do you want to keep the marriage?"

"I..." Zel looked hesitatingly at Lina who was talking quietly with Narina.

"Of course, losing may not be allowed either. You know how your mother is. She can't stand for anyone picking on her son."

"Fine then! The challenge will be held immediately in the courtyard! Lina, come with me!" Katsuhito ordered as he marched out of the room. Lina looked briefly back at Zel before following her father.

"Hmmm," Narina pondered. "Looks like you're in quite a mess."

"Now, Zel dear, you're going to beat the crap out of that old man aren't you?"

"Of course he will Zelas," Terim reassured his wife. It seemed that her indignation over the insulting of her son had caused her to temporarily forget that winning the challenge equaled Katsuhito's unspoken approval to Zel's marriage to Lina.

"Terim, why don't you go take Zelas for some wine tasting?" Narina asked sweetly.

Terim took the hint to leave with his wife.

"Now then Zelgadiss, I would like some time to get to know you better but that will have to wait until after the battle. It is completely unarmed combat but with your stone skin you may be able to last longer than previous contestants."

"How did you know about my skin?" Zel asked startled.

"Lina told me. Don't let your unfamiliarity with Katsuhito's technique confuse you. Though he said the battle was to the death, it is actually to the point where Katsuhito or you can no longer fight back. Now I want you to listen carefully to what I'm going to tell you. It'll help you defeat him."

"Wait, why would you tell me that?" Zel wondered suspiciously.

Narina smiled wickedly. "I would love to see him taken down a few notches and you're the best candidate I've seen in ages. Besides, Lina asked me to tell you."


Lina chewed nervously on her lip. What she was deathly afraid would happen was now happening right before her eyes. Her father was frightfully protective of Luna and her, and Lina could easily recall the numerous suitors for Luna. Not one had beaten her father.

Katsuhito Inverse was an exceptional fighter, Lina could admit that without any paternal partiality. His disappointment in her following magic instead of fighting did not put a dent in his obsessive protectiveness over her. This fight would most likely end in death, she didn't want to think whose.

"Chin up, Lina." Narina drifted up to her descendent. "It's about to begin."

Katsuhito wrapped up his stretches as Zel stepped forward, devoid of his sword and oddly enough, his cape as well.

"That husband of yours certainly travels well." Narina nodded to a pile of blades and other weapons. "Spring-loaded daggers, hidden knives, even the edge of his cape was weighted."

Lina sweatdropped. She knew Zel carried quite a few hidden weapons on him but she didn't think he was carrying that much. How in the world did he manage to wear all that and still move without making a sound?

"Alright then. Here are the rules. No weapons. None of that blasphemous thing you call magic. No dirt throwing. No insults. No cheap shots like hitting in the groin. No teleporting. No interference from outside parties. No gouging or biting. No instant kill attacks. No ki attacks. Fathers defending their daughters' virtue are exempt from all above rules."

"DAD!!"

"Okay, okay. I'll follow them too. Well then whelp. Will you concede defeat now? Or shall you force me to make my youngest baby a widow?"

"He'll beat the stuffing out of ya!!" Zelas screamed, suddenly appearing on the sidelines waving a bottle.

"How much has she already drunk?" Narina wondered.

"Enough to keep her largely unconscious for the majority of this fight," Terim answered, catching his wife as her alcohol consumption caught up with her.

"Just remember to pay me for those bottles."

"Alright, the fight will begin at three. One. Two. Oh my god, what's that over there?!?"

Everyone minus Zelas looked over in the direction Katsuhito pointed.

"Three! Inverse Screw Crash!" Katsuhito made a running leap into the air, swinging his leg around to connect his feet with Zel's head. But instead it connected with Zel's swiftly raised arm and Katsuhito pushed himself off to flip in the air and land on his feet again. Still, the force of the attack had pushed Zel back several feet.

Zel winced and tried to move his fingers. That kick had stung! Narina hadn't been kidding about Katsuhito not holding back. If Zel hadn't blocked, he could have been out for the count with a small concussion at best. If Lina hadn't told Narina to warn him...

Zel quickly glanced at the petite sorceress standing at the sidelines. Her arms crossed across her chest, only the constant fiddling with the gems on her gloves told Zel how worried she was. The more anxious Lina got, the more restless her fingers became.

That was all the observation Zel could do before Katsuhito began to launch his attacks again. It was all the chimera could do just to dodge and block them all. What was this guy made of? It was like Katsuhito totally disregarded the fact that Zel's skin had the consistency of stone. Heck, even Zel wondered if his skin was even stone anymore with all the hard punches and kicks slamming into him.

"All he's doing is defense," Terim sighed. "He'll never beat Katsuhito at this rate. Even with that skin, the pain will wear him down. Oh and Lina? Please remember to breathe. I don't want to explain to either of them that you died of lack of air."

Sheepishly, Lina took in a deep breath. She had been so absorbed in the fight that she hadn't dared to breathe. But Terim's assessment of Zel's condition was dead on. He couldn't concentrate solely on defense. With his strength, Zel could possible knock out her father with one hit. The problem would be in finding an opening in her father's defense and a break in Katsuhito's offense. She resumed chewing on her lip.

Terim looked at Lina, looked at Katsuhito, and then smiled. So that was what the old coot was up to.

"Not...not bad...whelp," Katsuhito gasped, slightly shaking his fingers to get rid of the numbing sting that was also making itself known in his feet and shins. Felt like he had been hitting stone. Well, Terim's son certainly did have an odd skin color, not to mention texture.

Zel didn't reply, he felt like he had been hit all over with Filia's mace and used for cannonball practice for several hours. No wonder Lina and her sister were still single.

"Keep...going...?" Katsuhito asked, studying the young man.

Was Lina's father playing with him? If he was, Zel feared what he could do when he was really serious. And if he was serious, well, Zel wasn't sure how much more he could take. The young Graywords had already gone way beyond what he thought he could take. Everything in him was screaming to call off the fight. Everything that is, except for one small voice that insisted he keep standing, a voice that always raised itself when he caught a glance of Lina's fearful eyes.

Zel looked her way again, somehow gathering strength from it. He nodded.

Katsuhito didn't miss that glance the insolent whelp gave toward his youngest daughter. Nor did he miss Lina's reactions to the fight. There was only one thing left to test.

"Well then...this will be the end," Katsuhito smiled as he dashed toward the young man.

Lina gasped.

Zel could barely see the older man but just then, there! An opening! As Katsuhito whirled around to kick Zel, Zel dodged and hit upwards toward the martial arts master undefended torso. Katsuhito flew into the air, landing several yards away.

"That's my boy!" Terim cheered.

A wave of relief washed over Lina and she sank to the ground. Zel had won. Wait, why was she so happy about that? Because it meant he hadn't died right? She didn't want her friend to die. That was it. Wasn't it?

Zel also fell to his knees, the pain overwhelming. Shakily, he caught Lina's eyes. She could see the confusion there and smiled weakly to reassure him. Then he looked at her father's prone form.

"So Dad finally got beat," Lina laughed weakly. "Aren't you glad? Narina."

Narina was looking at Katsuhito with an odd expression.

"Narina? Narina what's wrong?" Lina shook the older woman.

"Lina...your father...he..."

Lina's hand closed tightly on Narina's arm, her face paling. "Wha...What about him? He'll get up soon. Raving like a lunatic as usual. Calling foul and everything. Right Narina? He's alright. He'll wake up soon."

Narina closed a hand over Lina's and shook her head. "No Lina. He won't be waking up again today."

By now, Terim and Zelgadiss had noticed their conversation.

Lina shakily stood up, shaking her head as tears began to fall. "No. No, he's alright. Daddy's alright. He has to be. Daddy has to be!!!"

From the now clouded sky, rain began to fall.


Rain pattered on the windows. It was a very lonely and sad sound, Zel decided. He still couldn't believe it. Not even after both his father and the doctor had examined Katsuhito. Lina's father was dead. They both insisted that it was simply heart failure, that it wasn't his fault.

But watching Lina crying over her father's body, Zel couldn't believe that. If he hadn't accepted that challenge, Katsuhito would still be alive. Why had he accepted it anyway? Hadn't he wanted to dissolve the marriage between himself and Lina? Why chain her to a monster such as himself?

And now, not only a monster, but a murderer. The killer of her father.

Whatever chance he may have ever held with her were destroyed by one careless decision. How could he even think of staying in their house after what he did?

Well, he hadn't made that decision. The light rain that had begun earlier became a regular thunderstorm and neither of his parents or Narina would hear of him going out. Lina hadn't said anything all. It took himself and his father to pull her away from the corpse and then she tore herself away and ran to the manor. No one had seen her since.

Lightning blazed through the darkness outside. Thunder rumbled soon afterwards. Zel leaned back in the easychair of the den, wondering where did everything go wrong.

Perhaps when you ignored yourself? asked that inner voice, the same that had urged him to stay standing during that tragic battle.

"What are you talking about?"

Admit it to yourself. Silently if you have to. It's rather pointless to hide it now.

"Hide...what?" Zel asked reluctantly, the answer he had refused for so long to acknowledge much less accept.

Should I lead you through it?

Zel nodded slightly.

Do you remember when you first met her?

A midnight visitor coming to buy stolen treasure from someone who stole from stealers. Thinking back, Zel found it a rather amusing situation though at the time, he was only annoyed at the added hassle. The sorceress grated on his already worn nerves. Her death wouldn't have bothered him in the slightest.

When he finally stepped in to capture her, his opinion of her dropped even further with her weak spells and tricks. She raised herself to 'amusing' during her verbal spat with Zolf. Then when he escaped with her later that night, it was only to use her to get the statue. Her helplessness frustrated him as much as it frustrated her.

Even now, her care-free attitude sent him off balance though he had learned to hide his smiles. She always made jokes or outrageous remarks to throw off her opponents. Somehow, she was still the only one that could make him break his stone mask. She was the only one that could look past the walls that separated him from everyone else.

His opinion of her had done a 180 degree turn after their battle with Shabrinigdo. When she accepted his handshake, an allowance he rarely indulged in even before becoming a chimera, that was the first time he ever considered anyone even remotely as a friend.

So when had things changed? When had Lina gone beyond the first real friend he ever had to something more? Zel didn't know, but he supposed it was something that had grown slowly over the years since. When had he first noticed it? That ridiculous Temple of Marriage or what not that Jiras made up to get to Gourry's Sword of Light?

True, he had been quietly relieved that he hadn't been paired with Amelia as soulmates, even if he didn't really believe that kind of stuff. But there was that twinge when Lina became worried over Gourry's disappearance and took it out on Amelia.

That painful twinge returned again when they were trapped in that weird amusement park attraction. The only time he had seen her in a dress, even if it was an ordinary one. There was that lost pained look in her eyes when she saw that puppet whose long yellow hair resembled Gourry's.

Yes, that was it. That was the reason he chose to ignore what he had felt for quite some time. Gourry was always there for her. He was always with her. He was handsome, he was caring, he was human, and he was there for her.

Unlike Zel.

So he had to let her go, as much as he didn't want to. Lina belonged with Gourry. It was as simple as that.

"Keep telling yourself that and maybe you'll eventually believe it," Zel muttered to his reflection.

"Tell yourself what?"

Zel looked away from the window to Narina. "Nothing."

She gave him a I-don't-believe-you-but-I-won't-ask-now look. "You left the dinner table rather quickly. Did the food displease you?"

Zel shook his head. "I don't eat that much."

"So your parents also told me. How are those clothes?"

By the time everyone had returned to the Inverse Manor, they were soaked to the skin. Narina had produced dry clothes for everyone. Zel had changed out of his usual clothes into a pair of dark blue breeches, white open collar shirt, and black knitted vest. He had refrained from asking how Narina had found clothes that fit perfectly.

"They're fine."

"That's good. I was wondering if you could do a favor for me. Lina didn't come down to eat at the table and she hasn't sneaked into the kitchen for food either. I have a tray of food that I'd like you to bring up to her."

There was no tray Zel knew of that could hold enough food to satisfy Lina.

"She's likely to be in her room on the second story. Just take the front stairs, turn down the left hallway, and her room is the third on the right. I'm afraid I have to take care of...the arrangements for her father else I'd do it myself." Narina smiled apologetically before leaving.

Seeing Lina wasn't the very last thing Zel wanted to do right now but it was pretty down there. He had no idea what to say to her. He had no idea how she'd react though if she tried to fry him, Zel couldn't blame her. On the other hand, he was very worried.

First, he had never seen her break down like that. Even when Gourry was taken by Fibrizo, Lina had kept a cheerful front in front of everyone. Second, Lina had run away and hidden herself. From what he knew of her, this wasn't typical of her either. Third, she hadn't eaten anything yet. If even Lina's stomach couldn't motivate her to move, well...

Zel stood up abruptly and left the den. Outside in the hallway was a tray of food which was enough for a normal person but a drop in the bucket for someone with Lina's appetite. It'll probably be enough to get her started, Zel figured picking up the tray.

Following Narina's directions, Zel found himself before Lina's bedroom. Though the second story wasn't lit, the combination of his night vision and the flashes of lightning allowed Zel to see the curving script that spelled 'Lina' on the door.

Shifting the tray to one hand, Zel knocked on the door. He had no intention of barging in on Lina, normal or not. There was no answer but the storm outside was quite loud. Zel knocked again, harder, just to be sure.

When it went unanswered again, Zel slowly opened the bedroom door. No light was lit, Zel had to depend on his night vision first to get a layout of the room. When he couldn't see Lina, he cast a Lighting. The globe of light revealed a clean neat room, one wall lined with books, another holding a desk and several chests, the third having the bed, and the last with a large wardrobe and the door he just came through.

All in all, it was quite clean for a room that no one had been using for several years. Zel placed the tray of food on the desk. No dust. Someone had been taking care of her room. He looked around room again.

This time he saw her, leaning against the headboard of her bed, arms wrapped around her knees close to her chest.

"Lina?" Zel called softly. The girl made no reply. He knelt next to her and was about to shake her when he stopped. Lina's head was resting on her knees, the trails of tears still fresh on her face.

"She fell asleep crying." Gently, almost fearfully, Zel wiped away one of the trails. Then he noticed her wet hair and clothes. Lina hadn't even changed out of her rain-soaked clothes.

"You're going to get a fever if you keep this up," Zel muttered, sliding a hand under red hair to touch her forehead.

Lina stirred at the touch, opening her eyes. "Who..."

Zel's voice caught in his throat.

"Oh. Zelgadiss. It's you."

He had never heard Lina so...so...what was the word? Sad? Apathetic? Tired? Yes that was it. She sounded tired, like she didn't have the strength, or the will, to go on. A frightening thought gripped him. She wouldn't kill herself. Would she?

"Lina. You missed dinner."

"I did? I must have forgotten."

Lina? Forget food?

"Lina, are you..." What was he going to ask? Was she alright? Her father just died. And by Zel's hand no less. What was he still doing here before her? Causing her even more pain? He stood up abruptly to leave.

"Zel. It wasn't your fault."

Zel halted midstride.

"Don't blame yourself."

"But..."

Lina shook her head. "It was Daddy's fault. It was his stupid idea. Even at his age, he still insisted on doing that."

Zel looked at her. Katsuhito couldn't be that much older than his own father. No, wait, hadn't Lina said she was almost 500 years old? Of course, she had been arguing with his mother at the time. But if that was true, then Katsuhito must have been really old.

"How is your...how are you feeling?" Lina asked.

"Fine."

"Truthfully Zel."

"Like I've been hit by a hundred cannonballs all over."

Lina smiled faintly. "Thought so. You were walking pretty stiffly. It was quite a beating, even with your stone skin."

"I'd cast Recovery..."

"Except given the damage you took, the cure would be worse than the disease ne? Sit down already. Your legs must be screaming."

With a notable lack of grace, Zel plopped onto the floor but decided that sitting was too strenuous. "Mind if I decide to collapse right here?"

"Knock yourself out."

Zel kicked back and sprawled out on the floor. He would be feeling like a punching bag for days. But that would be nothing compared to what Lina was feeling.

"Lina. I'm sor - "

"Zel. I told you already that it wasn't your fault. There's no need to apologize."

"Yes it is my fault. If I hadn't accepted that challenge, your father would still be alive."

Lina felt her heart drop and swallowed hard. "You...wish you never fought my father?"

"I..." Zel closed his eyes. "I wish none of this ever happened. I wish I never agreed to go to that party. I wish Xelloss never spiked that punch. I wish... we never got into this mess. I wish I never fought your father and... killed him."

Lina bit her lip and shut her eyes tight as she felt the tears form again. He hadn't wanted any of this. She had been an idiot to even hope. He said it himself. He wished that they had never been married. That they would never be married.

He could hear her stifling her tears. Why did she bother when he could hear her doing so? Was he only able to bring her pain? Never looking at her, Zel got up quickly, despite protests from his sore body.

Lina's head jerked up at his sudden departure, one hand reaching to grab him.

"You're still wet. You'd better dry off before you catch a cold. Narina is handling the arrangements for your father's funeral tomorrow." Saying so, he strode quickly out of the room.

Her hand curled around empty air as the tears flowed more freely down her face. Lina lifted her fist into the air and brought it crashing down into the floor.


Much later, Lina stepped out of the warm bath, her tears having run out some time before. It seemed so strange, being back home. But nee-chan was gone on some part-time waitressing stint. And Daddy...

She fiercely dried her hair and then the rest of herself before slipping into a pair of pajamas. As she crossed the hallway from the bathroom to her bedroom, old memories flickered before her eyes. But they weren't only memories of her father.

Shadows of the past played over the dark silent hall as the wind and rain fought to enter the manor. This three story building had held the Inverses ever since they settled in Zefilia before the land even had a name. The vineyards and the country had only begun shortly before she was born.

Lina came to her room without meeting a soul. Narina had probably shown Zel and his parents to the guest rooms on the other side of the manor. For such a large house, it remained largely unoccupied. The Inverse family had never been very large.

Inside her room, the Lighting Zel had cast still shone brightly.

Zel...

With a groan, Lina flopped onto her bed and rolled over to stare at the ceiling. Gods, just what was she going to do? Everything was just a huge mess now. And all thanks to Xelloss' liberal spiking of the party punch with some weird Mazoku-brewed liquor. He must be laughing his head off right now.

Lina hoped that whatever Zelas was doing to him, she'd continue. If she could, she'd kill that purple hair fox herself. All she had wanted was for Zel to come to the little get-together of old friends. He had been surprised when it was her that contacted him through Amelia's blue gem talisman. It still took some sweet talking to get him to come but it was easier than Lina expected. Zel could be so blindly stubborn about the oddest things.

Now that she thought about it, that 'dream' she had about Zel being in her inn room most likely wasn't a dream. Lina covered her face with her hands as her cheeks burned up. Sweet Ceiphied, they had shared the same room, even the same bed if they had been acting as a married couple before returning to reality.

"He was probably trying to get away before I woke up," Lina sighed, rolling on to her side to try looking at the wall for a change. And came face to face with an old gray stuffed animal, Slate. Smiling faintly, she stroked Slate's fur. "Who is this 'he' I'm talking about? That's right. I haven't told you what I've been doing since I left did I?"

Lina pulled the old toy in close. For the longest time, Slate had been her only confidant, listening to her rants about her father and sister, raves about new spells, or elaborate plans for escaping and going out to see the world. She snorted. Who was she kidding? She had still talked with Slate the night before she left Zefilia six years ago.

"Alright then. I mainly wandered around at first, blowing up things I didn't like, running into several mages who wanted to make a name by killing me, learning that trashing bandit camps was a quick way to get some cash. There was also this person that I traveled off and on with but I'll just skip her. Why? Well, first she had this horrendous laugh. See, that's why I didn't want to talk about her."

If anyone ever heard her talking to a stuffed animal, they'd strap her in a strait jacket, lock her in a padded cell, and throw away the key. But Lina figured that only Narina knew, there was very little Narina didn't know if it concerned the family, but her ancestor rarely divulged anyone else's secret.

"It was after I finally got away from her that I met him. Well, that is first I met Gourry and then I met him. Who is Gourry? Tall blond handsome guy with brains of a jellyfish. He is good with a sword though and he used to have the Sword of Light before Sealius took all five weapons back to Dark Star's world. Oh hush and just let me talk alright? You'll hear it all eventually."

"I mean, it was nothing like in the stories. No love at first sight. I mean I was intrigued, what self-respecting mage wouldn't be. But he probably didn't think of me as anything but an annoyance. No we didn't meet in the midst of a dashing rescue or some passing glance. Just an under the counter transaction in a small inn room. Hardly the most romantic of places."

"He started out as my enemy, actually the enmity was all on his side. You know how I have that sixth sense about people if I can talk with them for awhile. I knew he wasn't evil, just determined. But he confused me like crazy. You see, he actually captured me but then he let me go, wanting me to lead him to the statue. And since it was that time of month, he had to act as my bodyguard. Yes, I can take care of myself even without magic but we're talking about hordes of trolls and berserkers here."

"When it's all said and done, I wasn't thinking of him that way then. I liked him as a friend, he is one of the few sane people I've met out there. Plus he's good with sword and spells. That isn't a combination you see very often, not among those that have normal life spans. And he's even more obsessed than most normal people are, though it didn't really show until I met him again in Zoana after the Sairaag incident. Gourry and Amelia were surprised at how cold he was but I wasn't. We were simply on different sides, something that happens often for mercenaries."

"We had fun during that search for a copy of the Clair Bible. You know, there were times I would purposely drag on the trip just to rile him up. It was good that he was focused on his goal but he had to learn to lighten up. Perhaps I overdid it sometimes but he's perfected that I-don't-care stone poker face that unless you drive him over the edge, he won't do a thing."

"What's that? Restraint? He usually is though if you ever get on his bad side, you'd better run. But he'll catch you anyway. He likes to hold a grudge. Unfortunately, they always seem to be against people he can't touch like Rezo and Xelloss."

"Slate, he isn't that bad. So when did I start thinking differently? I don't know, maybe right after I woke up from Lord of Nightmare's possession. Gourry, of all people, was holding me and yes, I knocked him into the water. For some reason, I couldn't help wondering what he thought about that. Pretty strange for me to be thinking like that when only a few days earlier, I was convinced that it was Gourry that I liked."

"Oh shut up. I was confused alright? I've taken Gourry's presence for granted and when Aqua asked me about him I just freaked out. At the time, he was very important to me, but not in the way I thought. He was like how I wish nee-chan was, an older sibling to watch out and take care of me when I was down."

"I understood the big brother thing by the time we met him again. And I was thinking about him more but you know what? I was also trying to forget about him. Why? Because Amelia quite obviously has a crush on him. Sure I've got the most powerful spells under my belt but she's a decent spellcaster when she isn't carried away by her justice fanaticism. Plus she's pretty and she'll grow older in his lifetime. Unlike me."

"And now, I'll probably never see him again. All of because of Daddy's stupid overprotectiveness. Daddy's dead and he is convinced it was his fault. Yes Daddy is still challenging every and anyone who even wants to look at one of his daughters. Why else wouldn't I want to come back here with him? I knew the fight would happen and that I'd probably lose one of them. But now, I've lost both."

The sphere of light flickered and then went out, draping the room in a curtain of darkness broken only by the flashes of lightning. The raging turmoil of rain and wind outside was nothing compared to the hearts of two people laying restlessly in bed.


Before the mound of moist fresh dirt covering the coffin of Katsuhito Inverse were the closest friends and family of the deceased. Neither Zel nor Lina had spoken to the other though Narina saw them look at each other when they thought the other wasn't looking. Terim was supporting his wife who was still recovering from the effects of her drinking binge the day before. She was clear-headed enough to understand what was happening.

The funeral had been short and to the point. There were no unexpected surprises or mishaps, excluding the priest's accusation of murder and Lina dislocating his jaw with a well-placed punch. But after Narina fixed that, the man of faith finished the blessing to put the deceased to rest.

"So you'll be returning home now?" Narina asked Terim.

Terim readjusted his supporting arm around Zelas' shoulders. "There is still another matter to be finished." He nodded toward Zel who was reluctantly following Lina a distance away.

Narina followed his gaze. "That will soon be settled I hope."

"And not to the satisfaction of some people. When will the person of the day arrive?"

"Soon enough. I wish those two would hurry it up," Narina frowned, still looking at Lina who was trying to get Zel's attention.

"Zel? Central Control to Zel, please respond," Lina half-heartedly joked. He had been distracted all morning and went out of his way to stay out of hers. Not that she wanted to talk to him in front of everyone. But Slate had helped her come to a decision last night, or rather very early this morning. Lina didn't doubt that Zel would leave now that the service was over. With his mindset, she'd likely never see him again.

And if that was the case, she wasn't going to pine away like some fragile glass princess from some unvoiced love. She was Lina Inverse, she had faced worse things than what she was about to do now. Unfortunately, she couldn't recall a single one of those worse things.

Zel shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. He should have left right after he learned Katsuhito had died. He should have left last night. He should have left first thing this morning. So why was he still here?

Easy answer. One word. Lina.

She was preoccupied when she finally came down this morning though it was obvious she barely slept at all. If Lina had seemed even a shadow of her usual self, he could have left with a slightly lightened heart. But as long as she remained withdrawn and unsure, he couldn't be drawn away. Not even by a possible cure.

Throughout the night, he had wrestled with the question. She was his friend and if he told her, it could shatter one of the most precious things in the world to him. Zel wasn't sure it was worth that.

But the most precious thing in his heart was slipping away. Perhaps, if he said something, he could keep it from shattering. If he did nothing...

"Zel...I...I need to tell you something..." Lina said shakily. Her hand gripped tightly to his sleeve. She could feel the heat rise in her face.

Zel frowned and leaned forward, not noticing one of his hands trace one of her flushed cheeks to tilt her face up. The cooling touch was refreshing against her warm skin.

"You've got a fever," Zel sighed. "I knew you would from staying wet so long."

He was so close. All she had to do was say it but her vocal cords refused. She threatened to Dragu Slabu them if they didn't comply.

"Zel. Zel, I love you," Lina blurted out.

Zel blinked. He usually trusted his hearing, by far his most enhanced sense. Still, he couldn't have heard correctly. There was a saying that if you thought about something too much, you would begin to see or hear it. That must be what happened. He looked into her bright eyes, her flushed cheeks - oh that was it. She had a fever and was now delirious.

"You're delirious Lina. You'd better to bed quickly now," Zel said, turning to call Narina.

Lina began to see red. Here she was, tearing herself to pieces about telling him how she felt and he thought it was just a result of delirium?! Well, she'll certainly fix that idea!

She grabbed Zel by the collar the same time she levitated herself above the ground. Startled, Zel turned back toward Lina, only to have the question on his lips taken by hers. He almost fell over backwards into the mud as his mind registered that yes Lina was kissing him.

Terim and Narina exchanged knowing smiles. The priest huffed indignantly.

"Such behavior before the deceased!"

He received two mud pies in the face to his additional disgust.

Lina finally broke off the kiss, not because she wanted to, but her dull headache was making her lose control of the levitation spell. Her feet unsteadily touched the ground, Zel's arms holding her close to him.

"You still...think I'm delirious?" she asked with a faint smile. Even if she never saw him again, at least she had this to remember him by.

Zel was still trying to retrieve his voice which had jumped to ranges beyond human hearing when Lina kissed him. Either she was very delirious or...there was a very small chance, something was better than nothing, that she did care, no, she really did love him.

"I know you're leaving. But I just wanted you to know."

Leave? After learning that?

"Don't feel guilty about it. I mean, you probably like Amelia anyway - "

"Amelia?!" Zel sputtered. The idea was utterly ridiculous. If she could say it, then what was stopping him? "You're the one I love," he whispered, resting a cheek on her silky hair.

Now it was Lina's turn to wonder if her hearing was failing her. Or maybe she was delirious as Zel said.

"If this is delirium, I don't ever want to get better," Lina mumbled, wrapping her arms around Zel.

"And just what is going on around here?" asked a clear sharp voice.

Everyone looked to the speaker, a tall purple hair lady wearing a traveling cloak over a waitress garb. Zelas waved.

"'Llo Luna."

"Into the wine again," Luna noted rolling her eyes. "You'd better remember to pay for it this time. What's the tombstone for?"

Narina shrugged. "Your father."

Luna raised an eyebrow and snorted. "How long has it been?"

"Oh I'd say right about...now."

A loud, yet muffled thumping could be heard.

"How deep and how much?" Luna asked, sharing a conspiratory smile with her ancestor.

"Twelve feet but enough duct tape, chains, and metal bars to rebuild half of the town."

The mound of fresh dirt began to shake.

"Oh I was sure I did the blessing correctly!" wailed the priest. "The restless undead have returned to wreak revenge on the day of its murder!!"

"He died yesterday," Terim corrected helpfully as Narina and Luna snickered.

"Well, then to wreak revenge on the day after its murder."

"If there was even a murder," Narina added.

Zel and Lina looked at the woman in confusion. "What?"

"250 year charged super burning electrifying ultra ki blast!!"

The grave erupted. The priest fell to his knees praying to deaf ears and all of the dirt oddly enough fell on him. Katsuhito Inverse leaped out of his grave, completely hale and hearty, and glared at Narina who was smiling widely.

"All those bindings on the coffin were a bit overdone don't you think?" he growled.

Narina shrugged unrepentant. "For pulling such a ridiculous stunt, you're lucky I didn't just kill you while you faked your death."

"Oh. You knew?"

"We both did," Terim added.

"And I wasn't surprised since I knew you could," Luna put in.

Zelgadiss was speechless.

Lina wasn't. But actions speak louder than words, especially for her. Not one of the four adults said a word as Lina picked up her father's large tombstone and smashed it over him.

"Lina!" Zel restrained her from doing anything else.

"I can't believe you pulled such a dirty trick like that! To think I actually cried over you!!" Lina screamed at Katsuhito as he dusted off the stone pieces.

"I was hoping to make him leave." Katsuhito glared at Zel as if this was all his fault.

"Lina, calm down. You're..." Lina slumped in his arms. "...sick."

"That's just like her to not tell anyone," Narina sighed and then signaled to Zel. "Take her to her room. I'll bring up some chicken broth."

Keeping one arm around Lina's shoulder, Zel slipped the other one under her legs and picked her up. He scooted a safe distance around Katsuhito who was glaring daggers at him but received a slight approving nod from Luna. No one said anything until he entered the manor with Narina.

"Father, that was a very low dirty trick to pull," Luna glared at her father.

"Now, now, Miss Luna. He was only trying test Zel's resolve," Terim said, trying to dissipate the tension.

"Don't be mislead, Mr. Graywords. He absolutely hates to let either of us go. More so for Lina since she resembles mother. You'd think he'd trust my judgement about Lina's choice."

Energy crackled between the father and daughter.

"Get over it, Father. They both love each other. Lina still loves you but there is someone else in her life now."

Katsuhito glared at his eldest daughter for awhile longer before dropping the staring contest and sighing. "Yes I knew she loved him."

"That was what the challenge was for wasn't it? You used those battles to judge your daughter's feelings toward the suitor," Terim smiled.

"Yes you're right. And I realized then that Lina loved him more than her old man. You were both right about my faking my death. I did it partly out of spite, but also to see if his feelings were true to her. If he had left, I would have gone off and killed him."

"Really?"

"If it was anyone else but your son then yes. For your sake, I would just probably have dragged him back and knocked some sense into him until he realized what a treasure my baby girl is. Even if she does prefer that frivolous magic."

"So they're not getting a divorce?" Zelas pouted.

Terim squeezed his wife's shoulders. "Come dear, Zelgadiss is happy. That's what counts. Besides, now you have the Chaos and Destruction Poster Child as a daughter-in-law. Great for showing off to your other Mazoku friends."

Zelas smiled. "You're such a silver-tongued devil."


"You would think that someone nearly half a millennia old would know how to avoid getting a fever," Zel said, covering Lina with the blankets.

She stuck her tongue out. "No one is perfect."

"Ah, so the truth is revealed," Zel smiled, brushing several strands of hair away from her face.

Lina caught his hand in her own and held it against her cheek. "I wonder what happened to everyone else."

Zel winced. "I'm not sure I want to even imagine. Look what happened to us."

"We got married," Lina pointed out.

"Not that I have any complaints there but think if everyone else also got married off."

"You'd better make sure your mother keeps that special brew of hers out of Xelloss' hands. Losing three months of your life and not knowing what you did then is very unsettling."

"Still, in this case, I think fate erred in our favor."

"So, finally getting cozy?" Narina asked, holding a tray of steaming soup and a book. "Here you go."

"What's the book?" Lina asked, twisting around to get a better look.

"Luna's wedding present. She said it might have something of interest for Zelgadiss."

"His cure?" Lina asked excitedly, sitting up before vertigo hit her and she fell back in bed.

Narina winked. "Seems so. I'll leave you two alone now."

"Zel. If this is from Luna, then it'll probably have a very good clue or lead to finding the cure you've been searching for," Lina smiled weakly.

"Good clue or not, we're not going anywhere until you're well again," Zel said firmly, leaning over his wife. It sounded so right. "We'll go together."

"Till death do we part," Lina murmured as she wrapped an arm around Zelgadiss' neck.

"Not even then," he whispered back before they kissed again.


Fanfiction