Two of Us


Notes

navy = flashback

This fic was based off the song Two of Us from the Thousand Arms soundtrack. If you haven't played the game it is a must, and the soundtrack's first two songs are the best (songs in the original Japanese)

I was dreaming about resting in your arms,
I woke up and noticed that I was alone.
I started crying from loneliness
The color-faded sofa, the pair of cups that we used,
The bed that's too large for me alone...
I'll get over them someday.

I didn't love you so that you could keep on loving me.
I thought I knew that, but now I cant go to sleep.
The song we liked.
The movie we watched together...
I can't forget them. I was hoping that tomorrow,
Everything would go back to the way it was...

Since then, I tried calling you once.
The girl who answered the phone had a gentle voice
Your voice calling my name,
The fingers that ran through my hair,
The eyes that were so pure...
Now, they're so far...

We laughed together, we argued together,
We believed in each other, I'm all alone
I want to see you again,
I can never see you again
I know, I have to give up my hope...

I didn't love you so that you could keep on loving me.
I thought I knew that, but now I cant go to sleep.
The song that we liked,
The movie we watched together...
I'll forget them.
I'll leave my hope behind and go on

This song is sad when you listen to it and when you read the words, but as I write this I don't know if it will have a happy ending or not.


"Zelgadis Greywares you're being ridiculous!" Lina stamped her foot indignantly. She had been arguing with the silent chimera all morning. He had announced that morning at breakfast that he would be heading off alone again.

Zelgadis stood and silently walked out of the inn and into the street. He moved through the crowds of people, to the outskirts of town. He couldn't understand it, why was Lina making it so difficult...

"Zel wait!" Lina jogged up to him from the entrance to the small town that they had been staying at. Why couldn't he just stay...with her?

Zelgadis merely stared at her coldly. "Please understand, I must go alone. You and the others merely hold me back."

Lina did something she thought she would never do...she begged. "Please Zel stay..."

Zel could feel his resolve cracking; Lina was special to him he cared for her deeply. That was why he needed to go, to sort things out... Maybe after he found his cure then maybe he could come back to her and tell her how he really felt.

Lina could feel her eyes tear up, "Zel is it me? I could do better, if it's my eating habits I could change. Or if it's..."

"Enough! Just leave it be Lina...I've got someone waiting for me." It hurt him to see the hurt look on her face but he had chosen his path.

Lina watched him go a tear running gently down her cheek. "Zel..."


Four years later...

Lina casually tossed a stone leisurely into the small pond, which was located next to a small cabin that she lived in. It was so peaceful here...

"Lina! There you re"

Well it was peaceful...Lina sighed and turned and had to resist the urge to dragon slave the intruder off her property. She and Gourry had been hired to sniff out if you will some local smugglers who had been hiding in this area. They were posing currently as brother and sister whose town had just been burned down causing them to move here. The only set back was that there was no magic use allowed and she had to keep a check on her temper. Well there was one other setback the town catch if you will, had taken a liking to her and had been following her around non-stop...

Lina watched as the man swaggered over to her; she rolled her eyes and smoothed her dress out around her preparing her oh so innocent girl act.

Leon Smile was trying his hardest not to push the girl sitting before him, but she was sorely testing his patience. When he saw her come into town with her brother he had realized what a jewel she was. She should be privileged that he was courting her...women fell all over him daily. But finally he had found someone worthy of his attention and she was resisting. But times like these when she was looking at him with eyes filled with love...

Lina stared at Leon with eyes filled with disgust; this guy was so full of himself that he made her want to gag. He wasn't bad looking if you liked the type...the pompous ass hole type that is. He was tall about Gourry's height, with short brown hair that went to his shoulders. He had forest green eyes that looked like gems, and his smile was always showing off his pearly white teeth. That effect however was ruined as soon as he opened his mouth...

"So Lina thought about my question have you came to an answer yet? Better take the offer before one of the other girls takes your place" smiling he brushed a few loose strands of hair behind his ear.

Lina rolled her eyes "I don't want to marry you, so why don't you get one of those dum...er nice girls to marry you"

Leon grinded his teeth noticeably irritated by her constant rejection of his offer. He watched as she turned back to tossing stones into the small pond.

What had her brother told him...

"Gourry, I'd like to get your permission to court Lina." Leon watched as the man known as Gourry began loading hay onto a nearby wagon.

Gourry stared at the man hard to determine whether he had lost his mind or not. After he had determined that the man was not suffering from any kind of illness...he looked at him as if he were the stupidest man alive, because you would have to be to even think that you could court Lina. "Uh you can if you want but you should know that she is already in love with someone else. He left a long time ago though..."

Leon ignored the strange looks Gourry was giving him as he stored this new information for later use.

"Lina I know you've been hurt before and I just want you to know that..." Leon stared at the empty spot by the pond. Where did she...the answering bang of the cabin door answered his unspoken question.

Lina locked her door just in case and made her way to her room where she tossed herself onto her bed. Tugging the band from her hair she let her wild hair free of it's constraining mass on top of her head. Laying her head down on top of her arms she let her thoughts drift...They all seemed to go in the same direction, Zel. It had been four years since he had left and she had been making herself busy since then so she wouldn't have to remember. But this job was just to laid back and she seemed to have all the more time to think of him...

Maybe if she had told him then maybe...then maybe he would have stayed.

(Song: Depending on you also from the thousand arms soundtrack)

If there ever comes a time
When you need to go on a journey,
Let's start it together, you and me.

When you are about to reach the goal you've been always striving for,
What would you do if you realize that it's still so far away?
"How long do I have to go on?" "Will there ever be an end?"
How will you spend your uncertain days by yourself?

Are you tired from your flight? You can't go on anymore?
You can rest your wings and be comforted,
Because I will always be here for you.

If there ever comes a time
When you need to go on a journey,
Let's start it together, you and me

Are you willing to believe in the single glimpse of light?
Or will you be in eternal fear of the dark?
If you're tired from you flight and lost all your strength to fly,
I will keep you warm and hold you close
So come back whenever you need me.

There must be someone in the world
Who needs your help and is waiting for you.
Won't that alone be your motive to keep moving on?
Whenever you need someone by your side,
I know that I will always be with you.
Yes, I will give you the strength to keep moving on.

Are you tired from your flight? You can't go on anymore?
You can rest your wings and be comforted,
Because I will always be here for you

There'll be a day for every one of us to start with our journey
Even if we must leave all things behind
Our story that is about to unfold
Is filled with lots of doubts and many hopes,
Let's start it together, you and me

Zelgadis called himself a fool for the umpteenth time as he trudged along a quiet path through the woods. He was an idiot; it had been four years since he had left his friends behind...Four years since had left Lina standing by the roadside staring after him with her sad eyes. It had been a dumb move on his part...

He had found his cure after all but it wasn't as cracked up as he thought it would be. First of all there was no one to join in on the excitement of his newfound cure. Second if she was there to share in his excitement...

Brushing aside the soft violet hair that got into his eyes, he pushed at his sleeve and gently tapped the bracelet that was settled on his wrist. He gave a sigh of relief as his skin began to turn blue with the bits of stone imbedded into it. More often then not he would change back into his chimeric form. He had just grown so used to it over the years that he didn't much care for his weaker human body.

He had spent the better part of a year searching for Lina, but surprisingly enough it was like she had fallen of the face of the earth. Not one camp had been blown up in a year, not one dragonslave...and no reports of a fiery redhead staying at any of the inns.

It was almost as if she did not want to be found, he also wondered why she didn't keep in touch with the others. Right now he was headed towards where Sheifyl lived in hopes that she had kept in touch with Gourry. This was his last hope in finding her...


Later...

Zelgadis walked along until he came to a lone hut outside of a nearby town. This was the direction that the townspeople had pointed him in. Raising his fist to knock on the door stopping he realized there were voice coming from inside. Stepping closer he listened to the voices...

"Gourry-san! I can't believe your back. I thought you were going to be gone for at least another week" that was definitely Sheifyl's voice.

"Lina told me to take a break, if the townspeople ask I'm trying to locate our relatives. She should be fine I told her not to engage the smugglers herself. There are a lot of things in Sakura to keep her busy, like that Leon smile that wont leave her alone"

Zel digested this information and strode off down the road. Sakura was no more than a two days walk from here...but with his speed he could be there in an hour or less.


Meanwhile...

"Is he gone?"

"Yeah, you think he bought it?"

"Of course give me some credit love"

Giggling can be heard "I never doubted you Gourry-chan!"


Later...

Zel walked through the town now in his human form, he looked around and noticed that the town of Sakura looked like a picture of peace and harmony...it was quite boring. Stopping he noticed a tall guy with brown hair walking along down the road muttering to himself about stubborn redheads...redheads.

"Excuse me but would you happen to know where I could find Lina?" he chose not to use her last name in case she was under an alias.

The man regarded him with outright suspicion, Zel had to wonder who this guy was. Brushing aside a lock of violet hair he carefully kept his face clear of any emotions. This guy was definitely rubbing him the wrong way...(not that kind of rubbing you hentai's >:P)

Leon pasted on a smile and decided to dig for a little info, this guy might be trying to move in on his territory. He would just have to make sure that this pipsqueak understood that he was the man around this town. "So you're looking for Lina, you must be her cousin?"

"No"

"Oh then a relative?"

"No"

"..." How was he supposed to get any information if the guy was going to be so closemouthed?

"Truthfully it's not of your business how I know MY Lina-chan, and since you keep averting your eyes to that dirt path over there. I can safely assume that, that is where I will find Lina. Thanks for the assistance buddy, ja!" Zel wore a smug smile as he left the guy standing in the road with his mouth hung open. Making sure he was a good distance away he switched to his chimeric form and ran as fast as he could. He stopped when he was close enough to see the small cabin in the distance. It was actually a pretty good spot for a cabin since it was far enough from the town to give some sense of privacy.

Now that he was actually standing here in front of the cabin he wasn't sure what he was going to say. "Lina I'm sorry I hurt you so long ago take me back...Lina I'm sorry I love you I was being selfish, and a jerk."

"Hmmmph that's a start!" Lina watched in satisfaction as the frying pan bounced off of the chimera's head.

Zel pulled the frying pan from his head; he frowned as he noticed the large dent in the pan. "I know I deserve that..." his words came out softly.

"Damn right you do!" Lina crossed her arms to keep up her angry appearance that and to keep herself from reaching out to him if anything. That and he deserved this kind of treatment...although she had forgiven him a while back. She understood why he did it...but that didn't make it any better! She was about to say something else when a familiar voice called her name.

"Lina! There's some nut looking for you..." Leon's voice trailed off as he noticed Zelgadiss standing near Lina.

Zel having switched back to human form when he had heard Leon's voice glared at the town idiot. He smirked "A little slow aren't you?"

Leon frowned he had thought for sure he would beat this guy he had even taken the shortcut. Frowning he made a dismissing gesture towards the violet haired figure, "well me and Lina have plans so you'll have to come back later"

"Well consider those plans cancelled!" Zel snapped out in irritation.

"No way!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

Lina could feel her eye begin to twitch they were arguing over her as if she were a sack of potatoes. "Mega Brando!"

As the explosion cleared there was only one person standing, Lina had to give it to Zel he seemed to know her like clockwork. He had managed to dodge her attack; she clapped good-naturedly as she grinned.

Zel blushed as he dusted himself off, he smiled hesitantly back. He wasn't quite sure if he was forgiven or not ...hell he never knew anything when Lina was involved. His heart sank as Lina turned and walked into the house.

Lina popped her head back through the doorway "Well baka are you coming inside or not?" Zel grinned as he bounded up the steps, he knew that they both had some things to work through...but he had gotten over the first boundary safely. And it would only be smooth sailing from here on out! "Wait for me Lina!"


Later...

Leon smile picked himself up from the muddy ground; he could only stare dumbly at the little cabin. She picked him over me...

No one dumped Leon Smile nobody...


Fanfiction