Epilogue


Zelgadis sat on the bench watching as the sky began to lighten, letting him know that sunrise was on it's way. He turned his head and gently stroked Lina's red hair. She was still unconscious, but he had carried her over to a nearby bench where they were both now seated. Pulling her closer up against his side, he stared off into the sky again.

"Ummm...Zel?"

"Shhh....rest you deserve it. I don't know what spell you used but it worked Rezo is gone" He smiled as she hugged him tight.

"That's great Zel now you don't have to worry about him anymore. Why don't you..." a cool finger being placed over her lips quieted her. She absently noticed that Zel was no longer in chimeric form.

"Lina I want you to know that in this short time I've known you...it's meant everything to me being with you. I've been so lonely...I'd never hoped...no never dreamed of finding someone like you, let alone to love."

"What are you talking about Zel, you sound so final..." that's when she noticed the light sky. He wasn't planning.... He was! She could tell by the way he sat staring into the horizon.

"I see you've figured it out...and no you can't talk me out of it. I've lived for centuries...I'm just so tired Lina, and now that Rezo is gone it's safe for me to go. If there was a way I would stay with you...but I'm not normal, I couldn't bear to see you grow old and die while I stayed young."

"Oh Zel..." Lina knew he was right she couldn't come up with any arguments. She clutched him closer and let the tears fall.

"Sweet Lina...don't cry for me...I'll always be with you in your heart. I want you to have something..." Digging into his cloak he pulled out a silver locket in the shape of a solid heart. "This used to be my mothers...I always keep it near my heart"

Lina choked back a sob as Zel leaned forward and carefully placed the necklace around her neck. "It's almost time...

Lina looked up in fear as the sun began to peek over the horizon. Grabbing Zel's hand she stared into his eyes, and he did the same entwining their fingers together.

I love you he mouthed as he felt the first rays of light hit his form. Lina cried out suddenly as she launched herself into his arms. Zel tried to respond by wrapping his arms around her but they were now transparent.

"No!" Lina began to sob harder as she felt the solidness of Zelgadis body fade. Almost as quick as it had begun Zelgadis was gone nothing left but a slight smear of blood on the back of the bench. Lina sat there hunched over sobbing silently gently clenching the heart in her hand. Snapping it open she stared at the two pictures set in the locket...

A picture of a beautiful blond hair woman sat on one side and on the other was a young man with violet hair pulled back in a ponytail another violet haired youth with an arm thrown over his shoulder. Lina clicked the locket closed and wiped her hand across her eyes. Standing tall she walked along the long path back to her house. Her dad would be worried, and she needed to go see her mom...it was time.


Fanfiction