Part 5


Lina stomped quietly down the halls to Zelgadis' room.

He likes annoying me, huh? - I'll show him annoyed! It was ironic, actually. Even if this wasn't the perfect strategy for attracting him, she would have wanted to do this anyway. She recomposed herself when she had reached his door, and knocked.

"Lina?" Zel opened the door to his bedroom.

"My Lord Zelgadis, have I disturbed you?" Lina spied an endtable behind him with a steaming teapot.

"Not at all. What is it?" He glanced at the board under her arm.

Lina took a deep breath. It wasn't often she could let out what she really wanted to say. "My Lord Zelgadis," she hissed through a strained smile. "I just wanted you to know... that I was merely holding back for your sake, earlier." She ended quickly.

Zel's lips stretched into a smile. Recognizing the chess board under Lina's arm, he folded his arms, and shifted his weight back slightly, regarding her. "And I suppose a re-match will be purely for my benefit as well?"

"Exactly." She stepped passed him and put aside the teapot for the chessboard.

Zel watched her set up the pieces, almost pounding them into their positions. Still standing at the doorway, he looked on with an ever-increasing amused grin.

"I don't see what's so funny." Lina quickly took a seat at the endtable as she finished, and raised her chin up high, closing her eyes.

Zel's eyes and smile never left her, as he came to take the seat across. He moved the first piece.

I'm in. Lina made sure her movements didn't betray her next thoughts. Now to show this shy little lord that I'm in control.

The next movements on the chess board were made in silence, as Zel kept smiling and assumed Lina was still simmering. She even accentuated each piece set down with a thunk. Lina added to the act by wagging her foot impatently up and down on her crossed leg. Zel made another move, and she followed immediately after. As soon as his hand left his next moved piece, Lina swiped up one of hers to move as well. She began setting them down just as quickly as he had retracted his hand.

"Are you sure you don't need time to think before you move your pieces?"

Lina smirked. "I don't need it." Her narrowed eyes stared back at him.

Zel accepted her challenge. Each player hardly needing a moment after their opponent's last move. The pieces came up and down on the chess board in a fast paced succesion.

Zel reached to swipe up another one of her pawns. But his hand was caught as soon as he touched it.

"My Lord," Lina kept her hand on his, over her pawn. "That's quite enough."

"Lina, this pawn is mine now." He smiled.

"But it's my last pawn." She leaned forward. "I would prefer you took something else."

Zel tried to retract as she continued to lean. But her hand kept his, and the rest of him, firmly in place. She's stronger than she looks! Zel's thought was cut off as she reached closer. He held perfectly still as her enticed gaze stayed fixed on his blush. Lina's lips almost met his, then she continued her course passed his shoulder, and eyed the other stolen chess pieces beside the board. Her cheek millimeters from his, she commented, "Much of mine is in your possession...Are you sure you want more?" She looked slowly up into his eyes, searching and longing.

Caught in her gaze, Zel froze as she slowly came closer. Her hand stroked his, and he just barely remembered the chess piece. "According to the rules, it's mine." His tounge numbly spoke.

"Yes..." Lina's face never leaving the almost non-existent proximity with his, she came over to his lap. "It is." Lina's lips met his gently, careful not to scare him off.

Just one kiss couldn't hurt. Zel absently thought as he slowly began to comply. But Lina started clutching him and wouldn't let go. Zel pushed her away. "Not yet, Lina." Zel got up and tried to compose himself.

Lina smirked. He was practically hyperventilating. If he was that nervous, then it needed only a little push. She plunged ahead and kissed him feverently. His body froze under her lips, and she took the cue to administer whatever she saw fit. No more vulnerable acts for Lina; Zel could see straight through those. At least when she was forceful, he wouldn't have time to think about whether she was being real or not. She smiled as she felt trembling hands gently lie on one shoulder and take hold of her other.

The next thing Zel knew, his back was on the bed. Although Lina's constant movements kept the majority of his mind from working, he did register the bed. Zel grabbed her shoulders and pinned her to the sheets.

She smiled surprised and playful. "Zel?"

He almost couldn't proceed with what he was going to say. That look on her face was so vibrantly happy. But Zel told her, "Lina! Stop right now!"

She reached up and trailed a finger down his lips. "My lord, you said I wouldn't have to take orders here." She whined, intent on not waiting for his approval. Immediately her hands started wandering around his torso.

Zel closed his eyes. Just for a moment... Then he shook his head free of the ecstacy. If she was going to keep squirming in such ways beneath him, then he would have to keep her still. Zelgadis dropped down and held her so tightly, she couldn't move. "Lina! Either stop this, or leave!"

"But, my Lord..." she whined, trying to squirm again.

"Lina!" He commanded, squeezing her too tightly to move.

Lina realized that there wasn't much choice, other than being crushed. "As you wish, my Lord Zelgadis." She complied calmly.

Zel let out a sigh of relief, loosening his grip...but ready to tighten again if Lina took advantage of this opportunity. But surprisingly, she was relaxing in his arms. He released her and they resigned to sleep on their own sides of the bed. Lina lay there thoroughly puzzled. She had caught his hesitation when he told her to leave.

He really wants me. So why doesn't he want me? Lina adjusted against the downy pillow. Hmmm...This is really nice. She smiled happily against the puffyness. She snuggled into the smooth sheets and took advantage of Zelgadis's order to stop scheming. Hmm...Relaxation...

When she fell into sleep, Zelgadis crept over to her. Watching quietly, he softly touched his fingertips to her serene expression. Spying the real smile on her sleeping face, he chuckled to himself. "Now I want you." He whispered.


Part 6   |   Fanfiction